Camo Nets on SPG?

camo nets spg arty

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

BangUpJob #1 Posted Nov 12 2021 - 23:40

Private

• Players
  • 13610 battles

Does anyone have an opinion on putting a net on an SPG?  I've always had the same set up on my SPG's (maybe too simplistic, I know): Rammer in 1st, GLD, Net.  I went with a net because I figured I was stationary most of the time, and if I could buy myself a few seconds before being spotting I might get another shot off.  On the other hand, with an SPG, once your caught, you're caught. You're days are pretty much numbered, most of the time.  I was toying with the idea of replacing it with an IRM for the improvemed dispersion.  

So I guess the question is NET vs IRM?  Thoughts?

Edit: also, just looking at IRM by itself (for those that use it), does it feel like a noticable difference in dispersion?

Edited by BangUpJob, Nov 13 2021 - 00:11.

Ndtm #2 Posted Nov 12 2021 - 23:50

Major

• Players
  • 17696 battles
Stationary yes.. but depends on what kind of gun arc you've got since if it's small then you end up rotating the hull more often and thus disabling the net all the time :hiding:

bake3020 #3 Posted Nov 12 2021 - 23:52

Major

• Players
  • 134 battles
Nearly every spg i own has camo on it.  My first skill/perk is camo,  then I worry about all the rest, after that.  I want as much invisibility as I can get so I can stay in the fight longer.  The long I'm in the fight, the more damage and kills I can get done and possibly help win.

Kramah313 #4 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 00:02

Captain

• Players
  • 11864 battles
I only have one arty line, and right now I’m on the M12, so I wouldn’t call myself an expert. But I go all in on the gun. IRM, GLD, rammer. For the crew I prioritized BiA for gun handling. Then camo after that. I might get spotted where I otherwise wouldn’t every once in a while, but more often than that I feel like that helps the gun to actually hit the target once in a while, and for me that’s more important. 

ATruk #5 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 00:06

Captain

• Players
  • 78942 battles

I've played a bit of arti. I play arti aggressively, always moving, always trying for flanking shots on those dug in HT.

That said, camo is not the first skill I train.

When arti gets spotted, immediate destruction usually ensues. Not always.

When arti fires, camo does not prevent getting spotted; it just helps a bit.

So I decided that arti needs good spots to fire from anyway, where camo really does not much. I use the slot for aiming and mobility stuff.

Also, since I use arti as crew trainers (six at a time for more crew book mileage...), I sometimes train BIA first, since the first skill comes quickly. That way, I save on retraining costs later.

Depending on what tank the crew might go into, I get a couple more skills on the crew before choosing camo. LT will get camo first, except commander, who always gets sixth sense.

I know it is counter-intuitive thinking. SPG camo is really not useful except when not shooting, and I am always shooting...

Allf #6 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 00:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44873 battles
  • [-LNF-] -LNF-
Unless you are a camo net fan, do not put it on arty. IRM is a much better option as it benefits you a lot more.

I_QQ_4_U #7 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 00:13

Major

• Players
  • 31229 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS

Before EQ2 there wasn't much else to use other than a net on SPG's but now nets are next to useless on most tanks and SPG's can make use of other equipment to perform their primary role better. At best a net might occasionally keep you unspotted long enough to get a better shotgun off but it's going to do little to help you perform your role.  You want to increase RoF and gun handling though I actually like using a turbo since I tend to move around a lot if I can. So either rammer/GLD/IRM, rammer/vents(on the few than can use it)/IRM or rammer/IRM and a turbo. The only one that is significantly different is the Lehf, since it has such good VR, so optics might be an option for late game spotting. Also some lower tier SPG's fire quite fast so a rammer could be optional.

Edited by I_QQ_4_U, Nov 13 2021 - 00:21.

Nonamanadus #8 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 00:22

Major

• Players
  • 40505 battles
  • [D_-_D] D_-_D
I wouldn't  waste a slot on it, same for a fire extinguisher. 

13Jake55 #9 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 00:42

Major

• Players
  • 27601 battles
I have spall liner on my M44 to help against Counter battery fire. Camo paint on everything from heavies to arty. Nets are on option on some arty depending on arty. No need on higher tiers because they are so big. 

choSenfroZen_1 #10 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 01:01

Captain

• Players
  • 6347 battles
  • [GITS] GITS

Anything to speed up loading and aiming.

I use spall liner, reduced damage, but mostly, I love watching wee little lights splatter as they try to ram.

Cammo is a priority skill for my crews.

Edited by choSenfroZen_1, Nov 13 2021 - 01:01.

jeb2 #11 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 01:11

Major

• Players
  • 70769 battles
  • [LAZD] LAZD
Rammer - GLD - IRM on every SPG, except for ones that can take vents.  In that case, I use vents instead of IRM

The_Happiest_Husky #12 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 01:40

Major

• Players
  • 10965 battles
  • [GPARD] GPARD

View Postjeb2, on Nov 12 2021 - 16:11, said:

Rammer - GLD - IRM on every SPG, except for ones that can take vents.  In that case, I use vents instead of IRM

Ye ye. Tho the frenchie X can take exhaust as it has decent camo and cant mount vents or rammer. Tho myself, I use a turbo to help stay mobile. I play arty with aggressive positioning

dunniteowl #13 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 02:16

Major

• Players
  • 39919 battles

View PostBangUpJob, on Nov 12 2021 - 16:40, said:

Does anyone have an opinion on putting a net on an SPG?  I've always had the same set up on my SPG's (maybe too simplistic, I know): Rammer in 1st, GLD, Net.  I went with a net because I figured I was stationary most of the time, and if I could buy myself a few seconds before being spotting I might get another shot off.  On the other hand, with an SPG, once your caught, you're caught. You're days are pretty much numbered, most of the time.  I was toying with the idea of replacing it with an IRM for the improvemed dispersion.  

So I guess the question is NET vs IRM?  Thoughts?

Edit: also, just looking at IRM by itself (for those that use it), does it feel like a noticable difference in dispersion?

Depends.  On shorter range units, I'm not sure how much difference it makes.  Most times, though, unless you're in one of those, "Hunt arty," end of match moments where you might get a shot off if they get close enough before they spot you, then maybe a net would help.

The wider an arc from side to side a gun you have the more a net makes sense.  Most times you're going to be nearly constantly hull traversing to line up another target and if you're doing that while someone breaks through and gets close enough to spot you, the net is an iffy bonus at best.

I think I have two units with camo nets on them now.  For sure I have it on the Grille (T5 DE), though that's one of those units I tend to spend a lot of time at end of match trying not to get spotted before I get that next shot off at someone pretty close by.  Seems to happen a lot in that one.  Might be 'cause I tend to get pretty close compared to 95% of other arty I've seen in all my playing.  So that might be a factor.  I tend to get spotted a fair amount, because I'm close enough to get spotted most times.

High risk, high reward most times.  The net does help when you have to wait for someone to come at you and you need that extra two or three seconds from when you spot them to line up a shot if you are aimed well enough not to move the hull.

You'll have to decide if it's worth giving it a try.  Most times, if something is close enough to spot me, I'm probably going to have my end of match moment, net or no net.  Anything you can put on you to speed up loading and aiming I would take before putting on a net.  I think that's why I put the net on the Grille.  I don't think there was anything else I could place on it that would do anything to add to better load/aim times and I don't care what my VR is as I rely on my team mates for that.

It's going to be something you'll have to try and see how it goes for you, unit to unit.  Wider arc guns and platform/turret guns would get the most consistent benefit from a net.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Draschel #14 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 02:28

Captain

• Players
  • 2074 battles

Rotator is more important than gun layer

Dispersion stats are more key, in taming gun control than aim-time. 

If your arta can mount ventilation, like FV304 or M53/M55, remove GLD for vents

Camo net is not good, as most arta have bad camo. Most arta also camp in forests, providing the camo they need. 

Rammer rotator GLD. If you can mount the vents on very few specific arta, drop GLD

Projectile_Misfired #15 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 06:42

Major

• Players
  • 39841 battles

I took all the nets off my arty just before Equipment 2.0 was released. I did this so I wouldn't have to pay to remove them if I found better equipment to use.

And, since Equipment 2.0, I no longer run nets on any arty.

For arty that can use it, I have Vents....mainly because it was already there and I refused to pay to remove it.

For arty that can't use Vents (and those that can that didn't already have Vents), I now use IRM.

The other equipment I use are Rammers and GLDs.

Belicia #16 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 07:00

Major

• Players
  • 12261 battles

For me, every SPG has a Rammer, EGLD and vents.

Some SPGs cannot take a Rammer (tier X French) and some cannot take Vents (open-top SPGs like the M44 or T92), in which case I substitute an IRM.

View Post13Jake55, on Nov 13 2021 - 11:42, said:

I have spall liner on my M44 to help against Counter battery fire.

I'd never thought of this. It seems a little crazy, but tier VI is prime counter-battery territory, so it makes a lot of sense.

The_Happiest_Husky #17 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 07:07

Major

• Players
  • 10965 battles
  • [GPARD] GPARD

View PostBelicia, on Nov 12 2021 - 22:00, said:

Some SPGs cannot take a Rammer (tier X French) and some cannot take Vents (open-top SPGs like the M44 or T92), in which case I substitute an IRM.

frenchie cant take either of those. Still considered open cabin despite armour in the gun elevation slot that the IX doesnt have

Draschel #18 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 07:13

Captain

• Players
  • 2074 battles

View PostBelicia, on Nov 13 2021 - 07:00, said:

For me, every SPG has a Rammer, EGLD and vents.

I'd never thought of this. It seems a little crazy, but tier VI is prime counter-battery territory, so it makes a lot of sense.

Consider Rotator over GLD. Unless as you may have hinted, its a bonds GLD. As bounty rotator are rare, I fully get it. 

Dispersion stats on gun and movement traverse, are far more important in maintaining accurate fire (colloquially known as gun handling)  than aim-time

This is why people complain about TD gun handling, like grille or skorp G or hellcat. They have insanely bad dispersion, despite having strong accuracy / aim-time.

yet why people don't really complain about SU130PM, object 430U, STB1  accuracy.....because of their stronger relative dispersion stats. 

What I don't particularly like about gun layers, are their very diminishing return. A boosted equipment slot GLD, only yields extra 1.5%. A bounty, 2.5%. A bonds, 3.5%.  Compared to rotator or aiming class, it gets less yielded result when boosted. Not cool. GLD needs to be akin to other eqp,  3% when boosted, 4% when bounty, and 5% when bonded

golruul #19 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 09:00

Major

• Players
  • 26391 battles

The only thing arty brings to the battle is firepower, so you should maximize that first.  Rammer, GLD, IRM, Vents should be priority.

If you have a spare slot for the French autoloader, I went with turbo to get around even quicker.  Plus it's better to ram people at the end of the match just before you die.

Belicia #20 Posted Nov 13 2021 - 09:11

Major

• Players
  • 12261 battles

View Postgolruul, on Nov 13 2021 - 20:00, said:

Plus it's better to ram people at the end of the match just before you die.

Recently, I had a battle where my SPG shot-gunned an enemy medium for ~250 damage, followed-up by a ram that did ~350 damage, before I died.

God I miss the days when a shot-gun from arty would likely KILL a high-health medium. It is obscene that the ramming damage from a squishy SPG does more damage than a shot-gun blast from a high-caliber gun.

Edited by Belicia, Nov 13 2021 - 09:11.

Also tagged with camo, nets, spg, arty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users