Jump to content


CAD/3D Model/Plastic Model Showcase Thread

3D Model SolidWorks CAD Art 3D Print

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Collapsed_Eigenfunction #1 Posted Nov 15 2021 - 21:35

    Major

  • Players
  • 29583 battles
  • 5,832
  • [CLAIM] CLAIM
  • Member since:
    12-06-2011

Hello everybody!

 

A while ago (a whole decade now!) there was a thread, Sketchup Redevelopment Tanks - Fan Art - World of Tanks official forum, where several community members would share 3D models they had made of various tanks as well as provide tips to other modelers. It was always an enjoyable thread which unfortunately fell victim to time after prevailing for roughly 6 years as the original members faded away. In fact that thread got me really interested in 3D modeling back when I was a teenager, and as a direct result I am now a design engineer making a career with CAD (though it is much more tedious actually doing it for work haha). Generally I am quite toxic which I am not proud of, so hopefully I can contribute something in the form of a new thread for people to share projects they have been working on. By no means is this thread limited to CAD work since that is understandably pretty niche. Feel free to share any model kits / 3D prints you are working on or are proud of, I would love to see what everyone has been doing. If anyone is interested in learning how to model tanks I plan to start a YouTube channel where I will be posting tutorials for various 3D programs and whatnot. 

 

I have only recently got back into modeling tanks but I have plenty of work depicted in the thread linked. In terms of new work I have been doing, I am currently a couple days into modeling a 1970's German IFV, the Marder A1, shown below:

 

The model is incomplete but I figured it was in a presentable stage and wanted to share. I plan to 3D print a 1:35 scale model using this file once it is complete, and then suffering the clean up process over the upcoming holidays. Furthermore this particular model is modular so that I can use the files to build a 1:16 scale RC version of the tank. I plan to do a YouTube series documenting this build once I actually get around to doing it.

 

I shall now open the floor to anybody else who has anything they want to share!

 

Thank you for visiting :honoring:.



_T_H_U_N_D_E_R_ #2 Posted Nov 15 2021 - 23:17

    Captain

  • Players
  • 51201 battles
  • 1,414
  • [GPARD] GPARD
  • Member since:
    04-27-2013

I do a bit of 3D modeling in Blender when I feel like it, lol.

My Panther D model:

Spoiler

 

My H&K G36 

Spoiler

 

Stug III G

 

Spoiler

Edited by _T_H_U_N_D_E_R_, Nov 15 2021 - 23:24.


Collapsed_Eigenfunction #3 Posted Nov 15 2021 - 23:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 29583 battles
  • 5,832
  • [CLAIM] CLAIM
  • Member since:
    12-06-2011

View Post_T_H_U_N_D_E_R_, on Nov 15 2021 - 22:17, said:

I do a bit of 3D modeling in Blender when I feel like it, lol.

My Panther D model:

Spoiler

 

My H&K G36 

Spoiler

 

Stug III G

 

Spoiler


Those look great! I could never get ahold of modeling in blender, I find my models always turn into a mess of geometry on the inside which triggers me haha. I mostly use SolidWorks now, primarily since it’s what I actually work with, and doing things with solid features I find easier to go back and modify, also it immediately has the correct volumetric properties to make 3D printing much less of a hassle. 
 

The turret on the panther looks really good, I struggle to get the geometry on my Panthers to look right so I haven’t really made one in many years.


Also good work linking the sprockets to the tracks, my early models completely skipped the sprocket teeth since I could never get them to mesh well and it made it look even weirder than not having the teeth at all. Also the G36 is nice, I’m about to start modeling an MG42 to mount in the infantry support turret on the back of the hull and I’m nervous since I’ve never done a small firearm before.

 



_T_H_U_N_D_E_R_ #4 Posted Nov 15 2021 - 23:40

    Captain

  • Players
  • 51201 battles
  • 1,414
  • [GPARD] GPARD
  • Member since:
    04-27-2013

View PostCollapsed_Eigenfunction, on Nov 15 2021 - 22:34, said:


Those look great! I could never get ahold of modeling in blender, I find my models always turn into a mess of geometry on the inside which triggers me haha. I mostly use SolidWorks now, primarily since it’s what I actually work with, and doing things with solid features I find easier to go back and modify, also it immediately has the correct volumetric properties to make 3D printing much less of a hassle. 
 

The turret on the panther looks really good, I struggle to get the geometry on my Panthers to look right so I haven’t really made one in many years.


Also good work linking the sprockets to the tracks, my early models completely skipped the sprocket teeth since I could never get them to mesh well and it made it look even weirder than not having the teeth at all. Also the G36 is nice, I’m about to start modeling an MG42 to mount in the infantry support turret on the back of the hull and I’m nervous since I’ve never done a small firearm before.

 

You have no idea how irritating it was to link sprockets with tracks... I had to fiddle with the tracks for hours, lol.

 

I am currently working on a Leopard 2K model



Collapsed_Eigenfunction #5 Posted Nov 16 2021 - 00:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 29583 battles
  • 5,832
  • [CLAIM] CLAIM
  • Member since:
    12-06-2011

View Post_T_H_U_N_D_E_R_, on Nov 15 2021 - 22:40, said:

You have no idea how irritating it was to link sprockets with tracks... I had to fiddle with the tracks for hours, lol.

 

I am currently working on a Leopard 2K model

I may have some idea how frustrating the tracks are :P I tend to start with the drive assembly now since it tends to be the most tedious and sometimes it just doesn't work out and I need to switch to another vehicle to actually make something work, I have accumulated quite a few hulls/turrets without wheels that I never felt like finishing because I despised the process. I like SolidWorks a lot more for these parts though since you can make a blank "part" for a track link, then wrap it around a curve setting exactly how many links you want, then can go back and add detail and mess with the sizing of the links which propagates through the entire chain to get the exact look you want. A big challenge I had in my SketchUp days was trying to make the tread come together properly, usually I'd just hide two links phasing through each other on the underside of the tank haha.

 

I was actually about doing either a later variant of a leopard 1, or a Wiesel next. 



Collapsed_Eigenfunction #6 Posted Nov 16 2021 - 01:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 29583 battles
  • 5,832
  • [CLAIM] CLAIM
  • Member since:
    12-06-2011

Added a lot more detail, just need to wrap up the main turret and should be complete.

 

Spoiler

 



Scryer117 #7 Posted Nov 24 2021 - 09:48

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 50938 battles
  • 311
  • Member since:
    09-06-2011
What would be great, is if the mods can hold a tank design contest. It's been years since the last one. 

DevilDog2512 #8 Posted Dec 13 2021 - 06:29

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 7807 battles
  • 98
  • [12-TH] 12-TH
  • Member since:
    08-01-2011
I have a da Vinci Nano W 3D Printer that I am able to print tanks off with. I can print replicas up to four inches in length. 





Also tagged with 3D Model, SolidWorks, CAD, Art, 3D Print

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users