Best skills for SPG crew

SPG crew skills

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

eduardo69 #1 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 18:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8647 battles
Hi there guys, I just started olayin with the german SPG Grille, wich skills are he best for the crew ? Thanks in advance for the valuable advice

pafman #2 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 18:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43397 battles
  • [-_-] -_-
i have heard the "chewing gum while walking'' is paramount

moogleslam #3 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 18:49

Major

• Players
  • 61413 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
  • Brothers in Arms
  • Snap Shot
  • Smooth Ride
  • Clutch Braking
  • Camo
  • Sixth Sense
  • Off-Road Driving

Not much else, or others only have situational use at best.

Zugh #4 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 18:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21607 battles
  • [BOOBS] BOOBS

This was also my first arty line.  Crew skills for SPG's vary, I usually put sixth sense on the commander, snap shot on the gunner, smooth ride or clutch braking on the driver, and adrenaline rush on the loader/RO. This will help with aim time when you move or turn the gun.  After that, BIA, then camo. Once you are spotted you are usually dead, but in the right cover you can pull off some nice shotgun kills with this thing at tier five.

Some of your teammates may have lousy radios so signal boost might be an additional choice.

heavymetal1967 #5 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 19:23

Major

• Players
  • 85235 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

BIA first then camo except for Snap Shot on the gunner imo.

Also see the arty link in my sig it has some general arty tips and a few links to some other general info threads. Opening post is long, but the general tips is about halfway down with a section title.

Bad_Oedipus #6 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 19:25

Captain

• Players
  • 58175 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD

Must have skills:

BIA

Snapshot

Sound Detection

Does very little but useful:

Off road Driving

Clutch breaking

Smooth Ride

Anything else that you train should be geared towards a real tank that you move your crew to once they get 4 skills

Goat_Rodeo #7 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 19:26

Major

• Players
  • 19676 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

BIA

Snap shot

Sound detection

Master snack table organizer

ATruk #8 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 20:21

Captain

• Players
  • 79074 battles

Focus on skills (and equipment) that enhance firepower;

loading time

low dispersion

aim time

mobility

Since arti is not a frontline fighter, I add camo after firepower, and sometimes even sixth sense later. You will have to be map and battle aware.

Take note that a skill such as Deadeye is not effective with HE, the staple shell of spg.

Loaders usually get camo first, or BIA since the first skill is the quickest to grind. The loader 100% skills (Intuition, etc.) rarely help arti.

Even fully skilled out, view range is just plain terrible.

Vava_das_SPGs #9 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 20:22

Major

• Players
  • 37700 battles
  • [AMICI] AMICI

View Posteduardo69, on Nov 30 2021 - 14:24, said:

Hi there guys, I just started olayin with the german SPG Grille, wich skills are he best for the crew ? Thanks in advance for the valuable advice

Grille is my most played arty.
You must address the skills that directly affect the arty handicaps, i.e. long reload and long aiming time.
So, Brothers in Arms is the skill that you must train on all crew members.
The others depends on your gameplay. I'm not the usual guy that stay still on the same place all the battle, so I have Sixth Sense trained for the Commander.
You can also train Mentor, because it brings extra performance for the rest of your crew.

The last gun is the best gun for the Grille (and also the best gun for the Hummel - it's the base gun for the Hummel _).
With that in mind, you need to have a really good map awareness and move around the map to use the beautiful shell arc of this gun to land hits over the obstacles. If you manage to get the target area on the very end of your range, you'll notice that you can "squish" the recticle, and thus increase the chance of a direct hit (and land a shell almost vertical on the target - and this is the lower armored part of the vehicles, that should increase the penetration probability, increasing the damage _).

Suicidal_Enemy #10 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 20:31

Major

• Players
  • 55593 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

View Postpafman, on Nov 30 2021 - 13:45, said:

i have heard the "chewing gum while walking'' is paramount

Thanks for making his point at 12:00mins you toxic piece of trash!

RMxR #11 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 21:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 54029 battles

View Posteduardo69, on Nov 30 2021 - 11:24, said:

Don't pay attention to the arty haters and crybabies

I recommend you prioritize these:

Commander: 6th sense, Recon/Sound detection, Concealment/Jack of all trades

Gunner: Concealment, Dead eye (only works with AP and HEAT rounds), Designated target (more info in the link)/Armorer

Driver: Clutch braking, Off road driving, Concealment, Controlled impact

Radio operator (this role can be performed by the loader or the commander in some cases): Situational awareness, Concealment, Call for vengeance/Relaying (particularly useful in low tier matches because lots of tier 6 and 5 team mates have horrible radio range, it becomes somewhat useless in high tiers 8+)

Loader: Intuition (very important now after the ammunition changes), Safe Stowage, Adrenaline rush/Concealment

If you are feeling ballsy, then train Brothers in Arms first, this will give a general boost to all your crew's abilities but you will be missing on key perks for some time

The german SPG line is famous for being relatively more accurate, having average to high damage but also for being slow, hard to conceal and hard to relocate with, so, the logical decision would be to prioritize those skills and perks that help you compensate for those weaknesses. 6th sense and sound detection are particularly useful to stay alive longer (an already hard task when you have wheeled tanks in the game and noticeable tracers that can give away your position), 6th sense lets you know that someone has spotted you (MOVE), and sound detection lets you know (in case you haven't noticed) that the enemy artillery is firing at you (the enemy artillery can see your shell tracers and guess your location).

link: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

ATruk #12 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 22:09

Captain

• Players
  • 79074 battles

View PostRMxR, on Nov 30 2021 - 13:24, said:

Gunner: Concealment, Dead eye (only works with AP and HEAT rounds), Designated target (more info in the link)/Armorer

Radio operator (this role can be performed by the loader or the commander in some cases): Situational awareness, Concealment, Call for vengeance/Relaying (particularly useful in low tier matches because lots of tier 6 and 5 team mates have horrible radio range, it becomes somewhat useless in high tiers 8+)

Loader: Intuition (very important now after the ammunition changes), Safe Stowage, Adrenaline rush/Concealment

If you are feeling ballsy, then train Brothers in Arms first, this will give a general boost to all your crew's abilities but you will be missing on key perks for some time

The german SPG line is famous for being relatively more accurate, having average to high damage but also for being slow, hard to conceal and hard to relocate with, so, the logical decision would be to prioritize those skills and perks that help you compensate for those weaknesses. 6th sense and sound detection are particularly useful to stay alive longer (an already hard task when you have wheeled tanks in the game and noticeable tracers that can give away your position), 6th sense lets you know that someone has spotted you (MOVE), and sound detection lets you know (in case you haven't noticed) that the enemy artillery is firing at you (the enemy artillery can see your shell tracers and guess your location).

Very detailed +1.

I haven't got Intuition to really work with SPG. It is kind of hit and miss at the best of times, but with SPG it just hasn't worked for me. Maybe a technique I'm missing or something?

bake3020 #13 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 23:07

Major

• Players
  • 134 battles

View Posteduardo69, on Nov 30 2021 - 17:24, said:

Here's how I do it:

Camo: All crew members.  No sense in even playing if you don't camo up, as much as you can.  Put it on your SPG, and the very first skill/perk is camo.  The longer your not discovered, the more damage you can do.

BIA:  All crew members.  This will certainly help speed thing ups and have your crews performing better.

Mentor: commander only.  This will boost your crew as well.

Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Let's be realistic here.  If your spotted, your dead, so fix that issue, in it's entirety, right off to bat.  BIA and Mentor only serve to make your crews perform better.  All the rest of the skills/perks will not have nearly as much of an impact as what I have mentioned.  Oh I see many talk about sound detection so you might want to add that consumable to your battles, if you can afford to.

Do your self a huge favor, play your arties in Frontlines using all kinds of XP boosters.  By doing this, your will have your SPG crews trained up much faster than you thought possible.  By playing the Tier VIII french SPG, I got to Tier X in less than 4 months as that's all I played.  I have the Tier X French autoloader SPG now.  LOL

bake3020 #14 Posted Nov 30 2021 - 23:09

Major

• Players
  • 134 battles

View PostRMxR, on Nov 30 2021 - 20:24, said:

Hate to break it to you but if you don't prioritize concealment, all that other is a waste of time.  Anything to conceal your SPG is top priority and then and only then do you work on the rest of the stuff.

dunniteowl #15 Posted Dec 01 2021 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 40029 battles

Skill/Perk 1                           Skill/Perk 2                            Skill/Perk 3                            Skill/Perk 4                        Skill/Perk 5

Commander:     Brothers In Arms                     Sixth Sense                              Recon                                  Concealment                       Repairs

Gunner       :            BIA                                   Concealment                         Snap Shot                                 Repairs                              Armorer

Driver         :            BIA                                  Off Road Driving                    Concealment                              Repairs                        Clutch Braking*

Loader/RO :            BIA                                  Concealment                    Situational Awareness                     Repairs                          Safe Stowage

In my case, the Clutch Braking was taken on before it was removed from SPGs as a skill, but there really isn't anything better at the moment other than controlled Impact or smooth ride, neither of which really benefit an SPG, either -- at least not the paper thin Grille.

BIA makes best overall impact on performance for the crew as a whole.  I took a mix of Concealment and Repairs on my Crew, so that I had SOME of both as the crew were skilling up.  Repairs are also important as you might get tracked by a counter arty shot and being able to have your crew fix it in under 12s can save you having to use a kit and still allow you to get clear of danger most times.  Concealment is a sort of 'no-brainer' as the harder you are to spot the better and once you are spotted, it's pretty much over, so make yourself harder to spot as much as you can, but not over what speeds up loading/aiming.

Off Road Driving improves your ability to traverse non-road terrain.  I'd guess that about 85 to 90% of all the surfaces in the game would be considered, 'off road' and so this skill does help you traverse and to move over ground in the first place (speeds up your total average movement) so I consider it a 'must have' skill early on for the Driver.  If you think you might want to fire while in movement, then ADD (not replace) Smooth Ride to your Driver's repertoire.

Anything you can do to increase your view range is also a good idea as your VR is crap to start with, so any improvement there helps you to spot before being spotted and even a few seconds of 'head's up' time can allow you one more shot or to exfil before being spotted yourself.  (Last night I had an LT pass my Bishop by 72m and I was wholly inside a bush (I knew he was coming) and got a free shot that allowed me to disable him and give me time to shoot again, killing him).  He should have outspotted me, except I make sure I can hide and to make sure I can spot as well as I can.

As to equipment, I use a Rammer (to speed up reload), GLD (to speed up aim time) and a Camo Net (to increase my concealment when I'm not traversing or moving).  If I were to replace the net, I'd probably go with something else that improves either my speed, concealment* or health (like an Improved Rotation Mechanism, Turbo Charger, Low Noise Exhaust, Improved Hardening).  [In this case, the Low Noise Exhaust might be a good replacement for a net, but beyond that, go for speed of loading.aiming or speed of unit movement. IMO at least]

SPGs can be pretty frustrating.  You can get a few games in a row where you just don't get a chance for a good shot up front and in some case, then, if the initial position fails due to deployment.map issues, you can end up 'chasing' the battle with repositioning only to find that the battle has moved past that place's ability to LoF Red Team.  That doesn't happen a lot, but it'll be one of the things to keep your mind upon while playing.

Map Awareness is key to ALL units, but it is absolutely crucial for you to pay attention to it and to plan/simulate the future accordingly so that you do not get surprised.  You do not want to run when you have to, you want to run before it gets to that point and knowing when to do that can mean the difference between surviving a match or not.

SPGs will also garner you a fair amount of grief in the forums and in game from time to time, however, most of the folks I play alongside seem happy to have me.  That means the vitriol, sarcasm and derision you get here is actually a minority view.  You can rise above it.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

zezowaty #16 Posted Dec 01 2021 - 06:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31771 battles

BIA should be your numero uno skill. And that is really all you need.

Don't waste time on sixth sense...you are always spotted because of the huge comet that leaves your gun. You only need to move a bit after shooting so you don't get countered. plus if you are spotted you are dead you don't need to be notified of that 3 sec later.

For equipment is just rammer and GLD.

Now if you were to be driving a BERT then you might want to invest in other skills but you are driving a kemping bush arty...so don't need all the hoopla...

Load fast, shoot accurately reposition and make sure your reload is long enough that it doesn't interfere with the beer run between shots...other than that get yourself a bucket for collecting unicum and wannabee tears. Also invest in thick skin...

Enjoy

Bad_Oedipus #17 Posted Dec 01 2021 - 16:05

Captain

• Players
  • 58175 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD

View Postbake3020, on Nov 30 2021 - 17:07, said:

Here's how I do it:

Camo: All crew members.  No sense in even playing if you don't camo up, as much as you can.  Put it on your SPG, and the very first skill/perk is camo.  The longer your not discovered, the more damage you can do.

When SPG camo rating come in to play, 99% of the time you have less than 20 seconds before the match is over or SPG gets destroyed.

pafman #18 Posted Dec 01 2021 - 18:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43397 battles
  • [-_-] -_-
gosh, coming from claus AND you i guess it must be true 

Suicidal_Enemy #19 Posted Dec 01 2021 - 21:57

Major

• Players
  • 55593 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

View Postpafman, on Dec 01 2021 - 13:06, said:

gosh, coming from claus AND you i guess it must be true 

..................duh!......................

Also tagged with SPG, crew, skills

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users