• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Jambijon #1 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 19:18

Lead Community Manager

• Developer
  • 4251 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Greetings Tankers!

Season 8 of the Referral Program is almost done!  With that, Season 9 will be launching on January 26, 2022 with new vehicles and some changes to missions and interfaces!

To get the full list of Season 9 goodies head over to our article linked below:

Changes to the Referral Program in Season 9

Casual_Boops #2 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 19:50

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 43108 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
Rest in peace, referral program. Yikes.

BianHong #3 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 20:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6972 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY
At least put the T95E2 back in the rewards list for the commander if those tanks will be permanent.

Lord_Smaug #4 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 20:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 752 battles

Posted this in another thread but will paste it here for others to see. I really do feel sorry for people who are just joining or returning with a fresh account for that matter.

This is going to make life for the player base as an whole that much worse with new players being forced into rush tiers be it with bot level performance for which many of these new players will just end up quitting. Worse still we will see even more botted accounts at tier 7-8 as a consequence so high tier players will end up feeling even more burn as there is already a huge glut of low win rates on the teams already.

All in all this is bad for new players and bad for the game as an whole.

dnaman #5 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 20:25

Major

• Players
  • 36318 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
This is an absolutely terrible idea!  I just got another one of my children into tanks.  He’s not going to be ready for higher tier battles for a long time.  The learning curve is just too steep.  To remove his rewards by giving him nothing unless he plays at tiers he’s not ready for is insanity!  People are constantly complaining about fail players at higher tires and here WG is trying to force that!  Whoever made this decision should be fired and they should revert back to the old program.  I’m beyond annoyed with this especially since my son has already gotten “love messages” from idiots in game who think they should rage at brand new players trying to learn the game.  Utter BS.  I’m not going to rush him up the tiers so he can experience yet more abuse from the low life’s in those tiers who will feel offended that he’s trying to play and tell him to kill himself and such awful things.  Yes,, there are lots of people like that.

MMI_SPI #6 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 22:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28340 battles

This won't stop bots, just make it harder for them. But it will discourage newer players, or the average plebs trying to get a sub-par tier8 premium for no money.

It was a great program for anyone willing to spend some time on it. Now its ruined by a handful of s**tlords running hundreds of accounts with bot programs.

Thx WG. Just let the exploits and cheating going on, unpunished.

reddogg #7 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 23:08

Private

• Players
  • 9204 battles
  • [LOGOS] LOGOS
My sons just started playing and I had them go through the referral program. I am glad we finished it before these changes take place. I didn’t let them play a random battle until they were able to complete the tutorial on their own and during the referral process I limited them to tier 5.  These changes would have made the process less fun for them for sure.  I am trying to be careful to not let them get discouraged and this system would not have helped. I hope WG finds a rework to these changes to eliminate the need for artificial tier caps.

warrends #8 Posted Jan 10 2022 - 23:48

Major

• Players
  • 24265 battles
Thank you.

F4U_wingman #9 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 00:47

Captain

• Players
  • 110834 battles
  • [RDTT2] RDTT2

This is crazy... as a new player you'll need to play tier 7-10 for the last two stages before getting a tier 6-7 reward tank.

Don't really know how the current system is being abuse and how playing a higher tier to finish changes anything.

Please Mr. Jambijon / developer... explain if you can without fear of reprisal.

Slobo_von_Slobo #10 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 00:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3437 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS

To be fair, you are getting a T6-7 tank as a recruit, so really when you finish the program you should (theoretically) be ready to play at least T6.

I see the intent here, but I feel making the last stage at T7+ is a bit too much. No one will listen, but I would suggest reducing it to T6 at the max. Even this may be too high, if you want to maintain retention and give new players a reasonable experience. 

Also, reducing the commander reward tanks to this lot is pretty severely limiting as well. I am a new player, and have few premiums, but these rewards give me little to be excited about recruiting a friend… so I can only imagine vets who have been in the game even longer than I have

SnowPanzer #11 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 06:33

Major

• Players
  • 45872 battles
  • [G_T_O] G_T_O

Glad to have finshed in stage 8.

F4U_wingman #12 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 07:19

Captain

• Players
  • 110834 battles
  • [RDTT2] RDTT2

So which is it?...  26th as you and the website say or the in-game client that says 6 days until the end... that would be around the 16th.

I see it has been changed... now it says "13 days until the period ends"

Edited by F4U_wingman, Jan 12 2022 - 21:01.

Lycan_Knight #13 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 08:05

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14541 battles
  • [BOOP2] BOOP2

Let me get this straight....

Recruits must play and earn up to at LEAST tier 7, whether alone or with the commander **and play that tier** to earn a restricted amount of points per day... To unlock a restricted tier 6 tank instead of a potential tier 8 reward for grinding (a tier 6 mind you that would be okay if they weren't already moving towards 8 or higher)....

You must do 3 times more damage in spgs when they can't even get HALF the damage a normal tank can do...

You get one of only 5 options for a reward (meaning it goes straight to credits if you keep referring more than 5 in a given stage.)

I don't see this stopping abuse. I see it punishing recruits with smaller rewards, and restricting the commander's interest in recruiting more than 5 people in a given stage. Wargaming you are EXTREMELY hellbent on syphoning anything worthwhile in this game

Baron_von_Slobo #14 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 14:02

Private

• -Players-
  • 280 battles
  • [DOWJ] DOWJ

oops. :trollface:

Edited by Baron_von_Slobo, Jan 11 2022 - 14:25.

Slobo_von_Slobo #15 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 14:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3437 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS

I think the program as a concept is really good, but there are much better ways to reduce abuse to the system. I doubt this will be read by anyone remotely able to make decisions, but one can always try.

I am probably the "ideal" new player WG is trying to recruit into this game. I am motivated to learn, I have that latent OCD that pushes me to grind tanks, train crew, and do what I can to improve. I am willing to spend money on this game (initially just the 30D Premium + free low tier tank, but I dropped way more than I expected to during HoliOps).

I am not a whale that comes into the game, drops a tonne of money on premiums, gets wrecked, and then gives up playing because of the crappy on-boarding experience (which IS crap, even if you do it right). I am slowly grinding through the tiers, improving my stats, setting goals, etc.

I am also very interested in helping new(er) players, and although am still new to the game, I think I can (and am motivated to) pass on useful information to new players so they can thrive and not rage-quit, so the Referral Program as a Commander is useful to me as well.

In short, you want to recruit, train, and retain players like me for the long term viability of the game. I am VERY pro Premium time, and recommend it to any F2P player who wants to succeed in this game, so I am also good at helping WG's bottom line.

Recruit Issues:

1) I think tank selection is fine. The ones offered are all decent starter tanks for a new player

2) Forcing a recruit to play games above tier 5 is a mistake. I know it makes sense for WG's bottom line, but it took me probably 2000 battles to get "comfortable" at Tier 6, and I was very motivated to absorb all the information I could about this game via forums, videos, and learning from clan mates. (To be fair, my expectations for performance are higher than most new players, but coming into this game is a jarring experience for everyone, even those who choose to invest the amount of time I did in order to learn and succeed)

3) I was recruited by someone with less than 1K battles myself. He was a nice guy, but not helpful at actually teaching me the game. Also, as a new player to the game, I only stumbled upon the program by accident, but you can see so many people on forums begging for recruits. You are setting the program up for failure this way. Commanders should have way more requirements to qualify. See below.

Commander Issues:

1) Commanders must have an active role in actually HELPING their recruits. They should be forced to platoon with them, at least a portion of the battles (see Preventing Abuse below).

2) Commanders should have MUCH more than 600 battles to qualify. There is no player who is qualified to teach a new player at 600 battles, unless they are a re-roll (which shouldn't count anyway). I would suggest 5000 battles at a minimum. This prevents rerolls, and also new(ish) players from having access to free T8 premiums while offering nothing helpful to new players.

3) It would be an administrative nightmare, but Commanders should have to "apply" to be a Commander. Almost like the CCs, there should be some sort of requirements. Why are you rewarding yahoos who care not an iota about new players but just want more T8 prems to play with?

4) Similar to above, Commanders should only qualify if they meet a minimum set of performance requirements. The bar doesn't have to be set particularly high, but a player with 10,000 games, a 44% WR, and a 300WN8 (or whatever this would translate into WG-approved metrics like WTR, etc.) should not be able to train new players. It's not only about stats, I get it, but most people who stay (and most importantly, most people who PAY) probably want to be somewhat good at the game, and not get destroyed every single game.

5) That said, if you want people to take this seriously, compensate them seriously. 5 TT Premiums is not, by any stretch of the imagination, remotely rewarding for a half-decent WoT player. Give them real choice, and real rewards.

Preventing Abuse:

1) If you want to prevent people from making alt accounts in order to get their main a T8 premium, make it so that some (or perhaps all, though that would be too restrictive) of the battles have to be platooned. I would suggest 50%

2) Alternately, make it lower than 50%, but make it so that completing each stage requires platooning (last 25% of stage points must be in a platoon)

3) Lots of people have more than one computer and can still abuse the system and circumvent the first two points, but there must be a way around it. WG has access to a truckload of user data - build a simple algorithm that flags Referral Program accounts and looks for suspicious behavior.

4) It won't prevent two vets from both creating alt accounts and recruiting each other, but there should be other ways to reduce abuse, such as:

5) You can further prevent abuse by restricting how many times a Commander can get a Premium tank. Make that limited to once or twice a year max (every other Referral Season). Let's be honest, this is why people abuse the system; give them less reason to do it but more reason to do it well.

TL;DR:

Lycan_Knight #16 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 14:47

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14541 battles
  • [BOOP2] BOOP2

View PostSlobo_von_Slobo, on Jan 11 2022 - 08:24, said:

I think the program as a concept is really good, but there are much better ways to reduce abuse to the system. I doubt this will be read by anyone remotely able to make decisions, but one can always try.

I am probably the "ideal" new player WG is trying to recruit into this game. I am motivated to learn, I have that latent OCD that pushes me to grind tanks, train crew, and do what I can to improve. I am willing to spend money on this game (initially just the 30D Premium + free low tier tank, but I dropped way more than I expected to during HoliOps).

I am not a whale that comes into the game, drops a tonne of money on premiums, gets wrecked, and then gives up playing because of the crappy on-boarding experience (which IS crap, even if you do it right). I am slowly grinding through the tiers, improving my stats, setting goals, etc.

I am also very interested in helping new(er) players, and although am still new to the game, I think I can (and am motivated to) pass on useful information to new players so they can thrive and not rage-quit, so the Referral Program as a Commander is useful to me as well.

In short, you want to recruit, train, and retain players like me for the long term viability of the game. I am VERY pro Premium time, and recommend it to any F2P player who wants to succeed in this game, so I am also good at helping WG's bottom line.

Recruit Issues:

1) I think tank selection is fine. The ones offered are all decent starter tanks for a new player

2) Forcing a recruit to play games above tier 5 is a mistake. I know it makes sense for WG's bottom line, but it took me probably 2000 battles to get "comfortable" at Tier 6, and I was very motivated to absorb all the information I could about this game via forums, videos, and learning from clan mates. (To be fair, my expectations for performance are higher than most new players, but coming into this game is a jarring experience for everyone, even those who choose to invest the amount of time I did in order to learn and succeed)

3) I was recruited by someone with less than 1K battles myself. He was a nice guy, but not helpful at actually teaching me the game. Also, as a new player to the game, I only stumbled upon the program by accident, but you can see so many people on forums begging for recruits. You are setting the program up for failure this way. Commanders should have way more requirements to qualify. See below.

Commander Issues:

1) Commanders must have an active role in actually HELPING their recruits. They should be forced to platoon with them, at least a portion of the battles (see Preventing Abuse below).

2) Commanders should have MUCH more than 600 battles to qualify. There is no player who is qualified to teach a new player at 600 battles, unless they are a re-roll (which shouldn't count anyway). I would suggest 5000 battles at a minimum. This prevents rerolls, and also new(ish) players from having access to free T8 premiums while offering nothing helpful to new players.

3) It would be an administrative nightmare, but Commanders should have to "apply" to be a Commander. Almost like the CCs, there should be some sort of requirements. Why are you rewarding yahoos who care not an iota about new players but just want more T8 prems to play with?

4) Similar to above, Commanders should only qualify if they meet a minimum set of performance requirements. The bar doesn't have to be set particularly high, but a player with 10,000 games, a 44% WR, and a 300WN8 (or whatever this would translate into WG-approved metrics like WTR, etc.) should not be able to train new players. It's not only about stats, I get it, but most people who stay (and most importantly, most people who PAY) probably want to be somewhat good at the game, and not get destroyed every single game.

5) That said, if you want people to take this seriously, compensate them seriously. 5 TT Premiums is not, by any stretch of the imagination, remotely rewarding for a half-decent WoT player. Give them real choice, and real rewards.

Preventing Abuse:

1) If you want to prevent people from making alt accounts in order to get their main a T8 premium, make it so that some (or perhaps all, though that would be too restrictive) of the battles have to be platooned. I would suggest 50%

2) Alternately, make it lower than 50%, but make it so that completing each stage requires platooning (last 25% of stage points must be in a platoon)

3) Lots of people have more than one computer and can still abuse the system and circumvent the first two points, but there must be a way around it. WG has access to a truckload of user data - build a simple algorithm that flags Referral Program accounts and looks for suspicious behavior.

4) It won't prevent two vets from both creating alt accounts and recruiting each other, but there should be other ways to reduce abuse, such as:

5) You can further prevent abuse by restricting how many times a Commander can get a Premium tank. Make that limited to once or twice a year max (every other Referral Season). Let's be honest, this is why people abuse the system; give them less reason to do it but more reason to do it well.

TL;DR:

I'll say flatly, kudos on the exceptionally thought out message with decent ways to fix their botched program both with positive and negative aspects addressed.

Secondly, and unfortunately (from experience as a beta player who has put forth hundreds of suggestions.... some of which were introduced into CONSOLE WoT), they won't listen.... and don't care. While the public like you and myself will and happily do speak from experience and expectation, they look at profit and, as you put, their bottom line.

I have recruited over 20 recruits. I've put hundreds of battles into supporting and teaching/helping those willing to learn even the basics of the game, let alone nuances like spotting mechanics (like the 15 meter retreat behind cover before firing and the 7 spotting points on each tank to name two of them...) but, in the end, the enjoyment is what ultimately keeps a player around. OCD mentalities aside, most players that stick around are far from that ideal. I'm super stoked you are though! it's refreshing to see someone so devoted to actually pushing for improvement and personal enjoyment of the game. whether money is involved or not.

However, out of those 20 recruits only one has accomplished their program. The others had given up the moment platooning with the commander wasn't common (real life took precedence for me.) and led to many quitting from the shear amount of battles they were needing to make any progress at all. Not necessarily rage quits, though they existed, but more a lack of "fun". I would ask each one why they left, most just simply said they got bored with the grind. One came from Console, and said that the PC version was missing SEVERAL key aspects that made the game fun (he expressed his disgust in the lack of tracers on invisible tanks vehemently, much like I and others have in the past.) The few that stuck around, were so scarce on playing that keeping the recruitment program around for them was pointless. my most recent hasn't been online in 400 days, but jumped on just yesterday for 6 battles, to give you an idea.

I know my hatred towards wargaming is extremely biased from experience, and it's great to see someone who's fairly new come in with a different view of how the game is now compared to what I once knew since 2010/11.

I, personally, prefer legitimate conversations. I'm a story writer and draw for a hobby, so I'll never belittle someone for speaking their voice in a solid effort to be heard. Instead, I support it :P

In the end, no matter how great the suggestion, it ultimately comes back with the question "will it effect income negatively", as Wargaming is a business, and their focus is on the current quarter's income and if it'll be higher than the last one... even if it could save the recruitment system and boost player numbers, it's all about that all-mighty dollar...

Edited by Lycan_Knight, Jan 11 2022 - 14:47.

cloudwalking #17 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 18:18

Major

• Players
  • 198 battles
I mean…how abused was the old system?  

Slobo_von_Slobo #18 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 20:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3437 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS

View Postcloudwalking, on Jan 11 2022 - 18:18, said:

I mean…how abused was the old system?  

foodprinter #19 Posted Jan 11 2022 - 21:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 48003 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Thanks for the feedback guys. I see that many of you are unhappy with the upcoming season. Thank you very much @Slobo_von_Slobo and @Lycan_Knight for the extensive feedback. I'll make sure it'll get passed on to the responsible department. 

PapaBear_3110 #20 Posted Jan 12 2022 - 15:20

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41992 battles
  • [B-F] B-F
 Personally I think the game is broken (and at this rate .... never to be fixed). And if I'm constantly berated and insulted in game, and in forums, why in hell would I want to recruit someone and expect them to accept the same abuse?

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users