Had to Vent

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Stoned_Vet #1 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 18:24

Captain

• Players
  • 18288 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

Purely voluntary post but for the love of cookies and cream cut me some slack here to those running into me ingame.  Im playing Arty and dear lord the backlash.  Im currently playing on a 70 Inch TV that is across the room from me (monitor died) and my eyes dont focus well at distance anymore without glasses, so im playing partially blind.   Got bashed by some loser STB-1 because im partially blind and proceeded to call him a F**k*ard.   Yay reported but IDC, im happy complimenting others gameplay since I cant do it myself atm, (no im not turning off chat, I do like complimenting people too)

Vent over .. I feel better. :D

dunniteowl #2 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 19:00

Major

• Players
  • 39902 battles

View PostStoned_Vet, on Jan 14 2022 - 11:24, said:

Purely voluntary post but for the love of cookies and cream cut me some slack here to those running into me ingame.  Im playing Arty and dear lord the backlash.  Im currently playing on a 70 Inch TV that is across the room from me (monitor died) and my eyes dont focus well at distance anymore without glasses, so im playing partially blind.   Got bashed by some loser STB-1 because im partially blind and proceeded to call him a F**k*ard.   Yay reported but IDC, im happy complimenting others gameplay since I cant do it myself atm, (no im not turning off chat, I do like complimenting people too)

Glad you feel better.  

Now, try this:  Work at not caring about what others have to say when they are In-Game Chat Bashing you.  My signature was enabled only about 10 months ago as I got tired of trying to explain my situation to others that misinterpret my actions/results as somehow 'wrong.'

My nature is that of a very nice, friendly and helpful person.  Even *I* have my limits of how much BS and Stupid I will tolerate before snapping at someone.  This is a game that absolutely tends to bring out the 'worst' in those folks already predisposed to piss and moan about every little thing.  Some guy last night got all bent that I killed a unit he was going after, too.  Why did he get bent?  Because I did my job and was working at getting damage and kills to help the team, I 'cost' him a Top Gun.

My take on getting bent over something like this:  So, you're mad, because I did what I was supposed to do and that 'got in your way' of another shiny pixel badge?  Get those kills faster, son!  It wasn't like I didn't mark the target WELL before those guys even got close.  And when they did (there were two units after this guy) they instantly went for the ram/shoot kill -- except I was ready, had the target marked when it was still unspotted and as soon as they spotted it, BAM, I let loose and got the kill.

If he thought he 'deserved' that Top Gun, he was absolutely mistaken.  There's no such thing as "Kill Stealing."  No-one OWES you the opportunity to get a badge of ANY sort.  And, more importantly, no-one knows what's really going on behind the scenes with other people.

So, let them rage and rant.  Let them get all bent out of shape and vent.

Me?  I tend to be my own harshest critic and whatever they have to say is from their perspective -- which means pretty much squat to me.

Now if he had made a comment about wanting that TG and was willing to do the job without help, he might have seen me check fire for a few seconds to give him a CHANCE.  Instead, he comes to my garage post battle and says, "Thanks A$$hole."

So I said, "No problem, my pleasure.  Did I kill you in battle?"   That was due to me not knowing that tanker's name as a team mate in a battle.  

There's always going to be some folks who get their feels in a twist over what someone else did in this game.  Boo friggity hoo for them, I say.  I thought I was playing a game with adults, not whiny little man-children.

Just ignore them.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Kliphie_Reborn #3 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 19:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21 battles
Knowingly your handicapping your team isn't a good move either. 

dunniteowl #4 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 19:26

Major

• Players
  • 39902 battles

View PostKliphie_Reborn, on Jan 14 2022 - 12:23, said:

Agreed, but it's not your call, nor mine to make at any given point in time to tell others what they can play, when they can play, what they MUST HAVE to play or what units they're 'supposed' to be playing.  So, there's that to consider as well.

If knowingly handicapping your team were actually a thing about 46% of the player base should just STOP playing, yeah?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Kliphie_Reborn #5 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 19:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 14 2022 - 12:26, said:

Agreed, but it's not your call, nor mine to make at any given point in time to tell others what they can play, when they can play, what they MUST HAVE to play or what units they're 'supposed' to be playing.  So, there's that to consider as well.

If knowingly handicapping your team were actually a thing about 46% of the player base should just STOP playing, yeah?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Playing to your ability is fine.  Playing with an eye closed is selfish. 

dunniteowl #6 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 19:35

Major

• Players
  • 39902 battles

View PostKliphie_Reborn, on Jan 14 2022 - 12:28, said:

Playing to your ability is fine.  Playing with an eye closed is selfish. 

Again, agreed.  Then that means about 46%, maybe even more, of the player base is 100% selfish.  Or am I missing a salient point?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Kliphie_Reborn #7 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 19:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 14 2022 - 12:35, said:

Again, agreed.  Then that means about 46%, maybe even more, of the player base is 100% selfish.  Or am I missing a salient point?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Yes you're missing the point.  Hitting battle when you know you can't see the screen is very different than being a 46% player

TankFullOfBourbon #8 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 20:01

Major

• Players
  • 36693 battles
  • [DHO] DHO

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 14 2022 - 19:00, said:

Glad you feel better.  

Now, try this:  Work at not caring about what others have to say when they are In-Game Chat Bashing you.  My signature was enabled only about 10 months ago as I got tired of trying to explain my situation to others that misinterpret my actions/results as somehow 'wrong.'

My nature is that of a very nice, friendly and helpful person.  Even *I* have my limits of how much BS and Stupid I will tolerate before snapping at someone.  This is a game that absolutely tends to bring out the 'worst' in those folks already predisposed to piss and moan about every little thing.  Some guy last night got all bent that I killed a unit he was going after, too.  Why did he get bent?  Because I did my job and was working at getting damage and kills to help the team, I 'cost' him a Top Gun.

My take on getting bent over something like this:  So, you're mad, because I did what I was supposed to do and that 'got in your way' of another shiny pixel badge?  Get those kills faster, son!  It wasn't like I didn't mark the target WELL before those guys even got close.  And when they did (there were two units after this guy) they instantly went for the ram/shoot kill -- except I was ready, had the target marked when it was still unspotted and as soon as they spotted it, BAM, I let loose and got the kill.

If he thought he 'deserved' that Top Gun, he was absolutely mistaken.  There's no such thing as "Kill Stealing."  No-one OWES you the opportunity to get a badge of ANY sort.  And, more importantly, no-one knows what's really going on behind the scenes with other people.

So, let them rage and rant.  Let them get all bent out of shape and vent.

Me?  I tend to be my own harshest critic and whatever they have to say is from their perspective -- which means pretty much squat to me.

Now if he had made a comment about wanting that TG and was willing to do the job without help, he might have seen me check fire for a few seconds to give him a CHANCE.  Instead, he comes to my garage post battle and says, "Thanks A$$hole."

So I said, "No problem, my pleasure.  Did I kill you in battle?"   That was due to me not knowing that tanker's name as a team mate in a battle.  

There's always going to be some folks who get their feels in a twist over what someone else did in this game.  Boo friggity hoo for them, I say.  I thought I was playing a game with adults, not whiny little man-children.

Just ignore them.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

This^

I second that you're a kind and helpful person, Owl. It's well known.

I've never been a game ranter, although I have ranted with limits in a few games, and I'm not a griefer, but I have nudged and pushed a tank or two in my games. 99% of the time I am playing my game, I salute the good players, try to be positive, and ask players to zip it if they are going overboard in the chat. If a particular player on my team has done a great job I will contact them after the game and congratulate them, and if an enemy has had a particularly good game I will congratulate them too. I take WOT serious but it is a game and it is letting off steam more than trying to go pro, lol. But everyone snaps. 

The only time I set out to be a bad person in a game was when this guy on my team started with the perpetual map pinging right off the bat, while doing countdown. Then came the mouth in chat, a lot of four letter words mixed with incoherent mumbo jumbo, while pinging the map continuously. Needless to say the first direction he took off to was to the far back, and then he started harassing the arty, pushed him up an earth wall. Incessive pinging gets to me, and this guy overstepped with the rest of his action waaaaay beyond my patience limit. I used two clips  on him and took the punishment that came with it. Everyone in the team contacted me after and thanked me. But I still regret losing my cool.

Edited by TankFullOfBourbon, Jan 14 2022 - 20:03.

dunniteowl #9 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 20:39

Major

• Players
  • 39902 battles

View PostKliphie_Reborn, on Jan 14 2022 - 12:40, said:

Yes you're missing the point.  Hitting battle when you know you can't see the screen is very different than being a 46% player

My point, which you also missed, is that MANY folks do NOT KNOW they are purposely handicapping their team.  Many folks are out there, making it HARDER for ANY team they are on to win, even though they have the best connections, good computers and all the Kewl Tanks with the best gear -- yet they still handicap their teams each time they press battle.

Some of them have tens of thousands of battles and STILL have no clue as to how much they hamper each team they're on.

Knowingly playing with a handicap is NOT that selfish, it's just HOW IT IS for that person.  That's the point you're missing.  No-one OWES you, me or ANY OTHER PLAYER a full disclosure of what's going on with them for each battle.  Some folks are KNOWINGLY 'handicapping' their team according to your view simply by missing fingers, an arm, being unable to see out of both eyes, having a serious injury, playing drunk or under the effects of prescribed (either by a doctor or self) drugs, poor cognition, crap computers, connections, playing music too loudly, trying to watch videos while playing, etc.

NONE of that is within your control and therefore doesn't really count as something you should be upset about.  It's not YOUR problem.

That was MY point.  I totally got your point, I just don't think it's a valid one in the Random Public Format of this game.

This game is 100% You can ONLY do YOU.  So to complain about someone for whatever reason is a 100% complete waste of one's time.

As far as playing to one's ability, sometimes those handicaps HAVE to be included in that calculation, savvy?  You can NOT play this game missing a limb and NOT be 'handicapping' your team knowingly, can you?  And you can NOT play below your ability no matter what your situation is, so, while I agree one shouldn't purposely handicap one's team, it's still HAPPENING on a scale that's hard to comprehend.

My 46% comment was not aimed at WRs specifically, but at the PLAYER BASE as a whole.  If you play at a 50% WR in this game you are in the something like 60th Percentile of the game's players.  This means being able to win slightly more than half your games places you 55 to 60 per cent above the entire player base.

Thus, at least HALF the population does NOT play even at that level.  I used 46% as a sort of 'estimate' of how many folks would have to quit playing to satisfy your perception of what those conditions are.  How many people come to the forums to complain about everyone and everything other than their own inability, lack of knowledge, incompetence or impatience each day?

it's a lot.  THOSE folks are worse in many ways than the OP, who is just trying to have a bit of fun and do his best under HIS circumstances, which neither you, me, nor anyone else has ANY RIGHT to dictate or adjudge as 'incorrect.'

I hope I made myself clear,  because I don't wish this to be an argument as opposed to a discussion.  However, in order to have that, we have to set terms.  The terms you set, I feel, are too narrow and too biased to provide a meaningful way to discuss the issue.

Lastly, we're talking about a game.  Now if that game included a team section where you got to play regularly with others on the same team against others doing the same thing, we'd be having a much different discussion where your descriptive position would make much more sense and would be something I'd more likely not take issue with in any real form.

As it is, I can only intend to poke humorously at your points, because they do not hold much water in terms of the context of play overall in this game.  I can't take too seriously any position that indicates someone shouldn't play if they have some sort of handicap they know they have and still play.  If we were to hold that as a standard of play, again, I'd estimate at least 46% of the player base should stop playing.

Am I making sense?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jan 14 2022 - 20:43.

Kliphie_Reborn #10 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 20:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21 battles
You aren't describing the OP.  Wall of text doesn't matter

dunniteowl #11 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 20:51

Major

• Players
  • 39902 battles

View PostKliphie_Reborn, on Jan 14 2022 - 13:49, said:

You aren't describing the OP.  Wall of text doesn't matter

Well it comes down to this: I made my point and I don't care how you feel about it, then.

See? Easy.

OvO

Kliphie_Reborn #12 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 20:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21 battles
People that don't care don't reply, you care

DarkSkoll #13 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 20:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 54281 battles

View PostKliphie_Reborn, on Jan 14 2022 - 12:23, said:

How is he handicapping his team? By playing arty? GTFO. The other team would be matched with an arty as well so no handicap. 

Kliphie_Reborn #14 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 21:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View PostDarkSkoll, on Jan 14 2022 - 13:58, said:

How is he handicapping his team? By playing arty? GTFO. The other team would be matched with an arty as well so no handicap. 

View PostStoned_Vet, on Jan 14 2022 - 11:24, said:

khorender_1 #15 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 21:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9406 battles

View PostDarkSkoll, on Jan 14 2022 - 20:58, said:

To me there is all kinds of handicapping going on, people sitting in the back waiting for everyone else to die thinking they are going to clean up, or people who play for marks? Guess you could come up with a variety of ways, glad I just look at it as random is random.

dunniteowl #16 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 21:28

Major

• Players
  • 39902 battles

View PostKliphie_Reborn, on Jan 14 2022 - 13:52, said:

People that don't care don't reply, you care

LOL. what I mean is that now that I've said my piece, your dismissive tone means that I don't care how YOU FEEL about it.  That's what I meant.

I DO care about having an actual discussion, of which you evinced none.  Savvy?

And apparently, you care more than you're making out, as well.  The irony, it burns.

OvO

Bootknife #17 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 21:34

Captain

• Players
  • 44348 battles
  • [WDA] WDA
(Sets up lawn chair, gets beer out of cooler...)

Kliphie_Reborn #18 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 21:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 14 2022 - 14:28, said:

And apparently, you care more than you're making out, as well.  The irony, it burns.

Never played the "I don't care" card, friend. 

Stoned_Vet #19 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 22:43

Captain

• Players
  • 18288 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

Im laughing AT those saying im handicapping my team.  Not with you, AT you.  Im able to type this, and read it all from distance, but do you know what IS difficult?  Aiming and hitting weakpoints on tanks.  So im playing an easier vehicle being Arty, because my team doesnt care if im nailing weakspots in an arty, only as long as im assisting them.  

Knowingly handicapping my team ... LOL that is FRESH.

By this I mean, I guarantee you my stats are JUST FINE compared to the trailer trash seen on a daily basis.

Stoned_Vet #20 Posted Jan 14 2022 - 22:45

Captain

• Players
  • 18288 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

View PostDarkSkoll, on Jan 14 2022 - 13:58, said:

THIS ... There are people that play with a single hand as well who are disabled.  Its only the Arrogant Pricks who complain because .. entitlement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users