Grille How to SPG

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

PeepNut #1 Posted Jan 19 2023 - 20:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 40 battles

Hi, fellow tankers,

I am an new WoT player, and I am grinding to the German Tier V Grille SPG. I want to make sure I use it right, because this has been one heck of a grind and I do not want to hate the Grille then realize I am playing it wrong.

Thanks, and may all your criticals be outward bound!

-PeepNut

Projectile_Misfired #2 Posted Jan 19 2023 - 20:48

Major

• Players
  • 40326 battles

View PostPeepNut, on Jan 19 2023 - 19:29, said:

Hi, fellow tankers,

I am an new WoT player, and I am grinding to the German Tier V Grille SPG. I want to make sure I use it right, because this has been one heck of a grind and I do not want to hate the Grille then realize I am playing it wrong.

-PeepNut

One thing that I wish I knew when first playing arty is that you can use the "Shift" key to go into "God-view". So, there's your first tip.

But, if you really want to learn how to play arties, watch Doctor_Nix on Twitch (streaming as I post this), or watch some of his YT videos. If you go to his Twitch stream, you can ask him questions about how to set it up, where to position yourself, and he may even play it for you.

As for how you're actually playing the tank, posting replays are easier for others to give you advice on how to improve. Upload them here:

http://wotreplays.eu/

and post the link it provides you here on the forums, with your questions.

Fruit_Loopz_ #3 Posted Jan 19 2023 - 20:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 64957 battles
  • [-SFA-] -SFA-

View PostPeepNut, on Jan 19 2023 - 13:29, said:

Hi, fellow tankers,

-PeepNut

Click on spg, click battle as it loads go get snacks and pull up youtube/twitch. Sit redline, click, eat snacks while watching youtube/twitch while reloading. Rinse/repeat.

CaptainQuarles #4 Posted Jan 19 2023 - 21:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17019 battles

View PostPeepNut, on Jan 19 2023 - 11:29, said:

Hi, fellow tankers,

-PeepNut

There are lots of Grille (and other SPG) videos on the WOT Arty Noobs YouTube channel. The narration on the videos is especially helpful. Here is is the latest from 4 weeks ago:

Edited by CaptainQuarles, Jan 19 2023 - 21:01.

CaptainQuarles #5 Posted Jan 19 2023 - 21:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17019 battles

View PostProjectile_Misfired, on Jan 19 2023 - 11:48, said:

One thing that I wish I knew when first playing arty is that you can use the "Shift" key to go into "God-view". So, there's your first tip.

I agree and please allow me to further elucidate on the use of the Shift key.

What one does is tap the SHIFT key to go into the overhead view. Tap again to leave.

I mention this because some SPG beginners (cough cough) initially make the mistake of trying to hold the Shift key down. :P

Also, while in overhead view, tap  the g key to enter Trajectory view and tap g again to return to overhead view. The g key does nothing if you're not already in the overhead view.

BUT! If you are in Trajectory mode and tap SHIFT to return to normal view, the next time you tap SHIFT you'll go straight into trajectory view.

And here is a bonus tip: While in overhead or trajectory view and want to check out a potential target, press and hold the left CTRL key and right click on the target on the minimap. You'll immediately see whether you have a line of fire or not without having to move your gun. Let go of the CTRL key to proceed to target, or keep holding CTRL and right-click and check other potential targets.

Taggeth #6 Posted Jan 19 2023 - 22:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13886 battles
  • [FRAY] FRAY

View PostCaptainQuarles, on Jan 19 2023 - 15:28, said:

BUT! If you are in Trajectory mode and tap SHIFT to return to normal view, the next time you tap SHIFT you'll go straight into trajectory view.

And here is a bonus tip: While in overhead or trajectory view and want to check out a potential target, press and hold the left CTRL key and right click on the target on the minimap. You'll immediately see whether you have a line of fire or not without having to move your gun. Let go of the CTRL key to proceed to target, or keep holding CTRL and right-click and check other potential targets.

Thanks Captain.  2 items I was not aware were available to use.  That CTRL item will be incredibly useful!

Ehrlichmann #7 Posted Jan 20 2023 - 01:30

Captain

• Players
  • 33610 battles
  • [SCPZK] SCPZK
Its German arty...you shouldn't!

Cassie_b #8 Posted Jan 20 2023 - 11:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 39 battles
  • [DAMN] DAMN

View PostEhrlichmann, on Jan 20 2023 - 01:30, said:

Its German arty...you shouldn't!

@PeepNut

Germans are OK, up to and including the G.W.Panther (tier VII) I'd stop grinding the Germans at that point- Tier VIII and above are clumsy and sluggish.

Switch to US and Russian next - US probably the most versatile...

Russians generally have lower firing arcs, faster shell travel - British generally have higher arcs, can fire over some obstacles that others can't hit.

French are fast, good for repositioning and generally reasonably accurate.

If you stick with arty long enough to grind them all.... I'd get all the other nations before completing the Germans.

Bassett_Hound #9 Posted Jan 21 2023 - 10:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 2947 battles

View PostCassie_b, on Jan 20 2023 - 11:13, said:

@PeepNut

Germans are OK, up to and including the G.W.Panther (tier VII) I'd stop grinding the Germans at that point- Tier VIII and above are clumsy and sluggish.

Switch to US and Russian next - US probably the most versatile...

Russians generally have lower firing arcs, faster shell travel - British generally have higher arcs, can fire over some obstacles that others can't hit.

French are fast, good for repositioning and generally reasonably accurate.

If you stick with arty long enough to grind them all.... I'd get all the other nations before completing the Germans.

Agreed mostly.

To me, the Hummel is not bad and the GW Panther just shoots way too long or wide.  I already have the Tier V and VI Soviet SPGs.  Since they just nerfed the American M 44 which I was grinding for, I am now in the French line, grinding through that miserable Tier 4 TD of theirs and ready to quit WOT altogether.

Also tagged with Grille, How to, SPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users