Re-Roll Accounts - Why?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

FASTHatTrick #1 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 15:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 39552 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

I started a year ago after receiving some advice from a friend, knocking out my standard and premium missions on the SA server early in the morning.   My playtime was shrinking and my desire to continue to grind the missions was still a priority, I found that dropping down to Tier V and the SA server allowed me to complete these within an hour while drinking my coffee before work was a very workable solution.  

Yes it felt a bit cheeseball dirty killing BOTS, but not as bad as running arty I suppose.   I did notice however a large percentage of sub 5K accounts with UNICOM numbers playing as well.  While most typically posed no threat due to their propensity to hide in the back and farm for stats, my typical aggressive play was able to accomplish what I was out for, quick wins and missions done.  You also find them in higher tiers, in those tanks that specialize in low thresholds for high XP/WIN8 results on the NA server, again, the higher the tier, the better the chance of them sitting in their HVY/MED on the back line, completely out of position and farming damage at the edges of the red circle, but not always.

Having said that, I often wonder "why?", why do people create these accounts?  

Personally, I would love to have the first 15K games on my account go "poof" as far as stats go, it artificially pulls my overall numbers down if you look me up on tomato.gg and make assumptions of my totals.  But its the same for all of us, so its just understood.  We were learning the game.

So I guess there is that, a desire to start from scratch to have a personnel record that is "true" to your capabilities.   Or perhaps they have a desire to play in a top 5 clan, and want the numbers to qualify.  Or maybe they are grinding them up to 15-20K Battles with a reward tank or two and pretty colors in their profile in order to sell them to players looking to skip the grind or drop their old accounts and the red/orange/yellow stats that go with it, but still want all the tanks...

I honestly don't know, or better said, don't understand.  There are even clans that appear to specialize in these sort of accounts, so I know there is a community.  

Now not all are selfish little tanks and sit in the back farming, some always platoon, and put their skills and teamwork to good use.  They make great teammates and difficult opponents.  So I am not necessarily bashing people who do this (except when they hide in the back as your teammate), I am just curious as to the main driving factors as to "Why" this trend is so prevalent. 

Keep it civil, I don't want a thread of "I love crushing their little re roll dreams!" , I am honestly curious as to the driving factors as to why someone would want to start from scratch, repeating the same content, all for the sake of a better signature block.

Thanks

Dantooine_Sniper #2 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 15:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7224 battles
  • [BOOP2] BOOP2

Some re-roll accounts are for the referral program as well

MadBadger #3 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23454 battles
  • [-EV-] -EV-

I'm not clear on your assumptions, here. Are you assuming anyone who starts another account is a re-roll, and is out to farm better stats?

Are you only classifying accounts that specifically restart to boost their stats as re-rolls? How do you determine that?

For myself, I have 3 accounts. This one, another one from about the same date (I was trying to get my nephew interested in playing so thought 2 accounts would be handy), and a newer one I started a few years ago because I saw a startup code I wanted to try out.

On none of these accounts do I play for stats. I drive my brother nuts because I have tanks with no camo, tanks with "not the best" gear on them, crew with 2-3 skills worth of XP that I've never even assigned a skill to

So yes, my 'newer' accounts have better stats than my original. Is that a factor in starting them? Not at all.

8_Hussars #4 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 72253 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
Just to be pedantic, re-rolls are purely for an improved account record.  Why? Unfortunately, I don't really know why.  Competitive Clans recruit on T10 stats and a players ability to do the job, low tier unicum stats are irrelevant.

As for your question why are there low battle count accounts (with good stats) on SA clubbing in T5, many likely for the same reason you are there (or 3 making T5s).  There are a myriad of other reasons for low battle count accounts.  Lost (and found) accounts, friends and family, false starts, dormant accounts, clan placeholders, and of course the Referral Program

Kritas #5 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:20

Captain

• Players
  • 5517 battles
XVM. (one reason)

Edited by Kritas, Jan 24 2023 - 19:32.

umkhulu #6 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:25

Major

• Players
  • 128 battles

*** YOU AIN'T GOT NO CRED IF YOU AIN'T GOT THE STATS! ***

hobbyt_tanker #7 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:31

Major

• Players
  • 1993 battles
  • [TER] TER

View Post8_Hussars, on Jan 24 2023 - 16:16, said:

Just to be pedantic, re-rolls are purely for an improved account record.  Why? Unfortunately, I don't really know why.  Competitive Clans recruit on T10 stats and a players ability to do the job, low tier unicum stats are irrelevant.

As for your question why are there low battle count accounts (with good stats) on SA clubbing in T5, many likely for the same reason you are there (or 3 making T5s).  There are a myriad of other reasons for low battle count accounts.  Lost (and found) accounts, friends and family, false starts, dormant accounts, clan placeholders, and of course the Referral Program

Going off this, which makes sense, I've got two alts which are not re-rolls.

The first is like Mad Badger's - New and Stoopid Me thought it was a good idea to have one account for the office and one for home.  Live and learn.

Then there's this one, which was created to see how well I could do as an FTP player.  Not bad - but it's more fun in the Koala account.

IIRC, this one does have some pretty decent stats on it, though, through mid-tiers.

TheRealSerapth #8 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:37

Major

• Players
  • 15327 battles
  • [FNWG] FNWG

Ok... um... is the irony not a bit lost here...

OP posts about "Why do people re-roll", while also having an e-peen signature showcasing his stats.

...you can't make this stuff up.

CamaroSS_2015 #9 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17599 battles
  • [ZED] ZED

I stopped worrying about my stats about 6 months ago because unfortunately, I'm not a good enough players to win games when MM or RNG is not in my favor.. so those end up losses because I cannot carry... so, I play to have fun... I set some goals for myself.... that being at least complete the 3 dailies.. and then at best, make sure my daily stats are better... that can be sometimes a difficult task when WG is handing battles like I said, I cannot carry.... oh well.... play to have fun and nothing else.

joe...

13Jake55 #10 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 16:52

Major

• Players
  • 29778 battles
Vanity which is part of one of the seven deadly sins Pride. 

JakeTheMystic #11 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 17:08

Major

• Players
  • 29464 battles
  • [CLEAN] CLEAN

Referral program is probably a big one, others probably just want their account to reflect their true stats, some do it for fun if they actually enjoy the game that much and some might be grinding accounts or missions to sell the account later, who knows. 

I almost considered rerolling at one point because there is such a large gap between my overalls and my recents, but I wouldn't want to lose my tech tree progress just to make my pr and overalls higher, so I guess I'll just keep slowly climbing my way up there. 

ArmorStorm #12 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 17:37

Major

• Players
  • 43419 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostFASTHatTrick, on Jan 24 2023 - 08:44, said:

I started a year ago after receiving some advice from a friend, knocking out my standard and premium missions on the SA server early in the morning.   My playtime was shrinking and my desire to continue to grind the missions was still a priority, I found that dropping down to Tier V and the SA server allowed me to complete these within an hour while drinking my coffee before work was a very workable solution.  

Yes it felt a bit cheeseball dirty killing BOTS, but not as bad as running arty I suppose.   I did notice however a large percentage of sub 5K accounts with UNICOM numbers playing as well.  While most typically posed no threat due to their propensity to hide in the back and farm for stats, my typical aggressive play was able to accomplish what I was out for, quick wins and missions done.  You also find them in higher tiers, in those tanks that specialize in low thresholds for high XP/WIN8 results on the NA server, again, the higher the tier, the better the chance of them sitting in their HVY/MED on the back line, completely out of position and farming damage at the edges of the red circle, but not always.

Having said that, I often wonder "why?", why do people create these accounts?  

Personally, I would love to have the first 15K games on my account go "poof" as far as stats go, it artificially pulls my overall numbers down if you look me up on tomato.gg and make assumptions of my totals.  But its the same for all of us, so its just understood.  We were learning the game.

So I guess there is that, a desire to start from scratch to have a personnel record that is "true" to your capabilities.   Or perhaps they have a desire to play in a top 5 clan, and want the numbers to qualify.  Or maybe they are grinding them up to 15-20K Battles with a reward tank or two and pretty colors in their profile in order to sell them to players looking to skip the grind or drop their old accounts and the red/orange/yellow stats that go with it, but still want all the tanks...

I honestly don't know, or better said, don't understand.  There are even clans that appear to specialize in these sort of accounts, so I know there is a community.  

Now not all are selfish little tanks and sit in the back farming, some always platoon, and put their skills and teamwork to good use.  They make great teammates and difficult opponents.  So I am not necessarily bashing people who do this (except when they hide in the back as your teammate), I am just curious as to the main driving factors as to "Why" this trend is so prevalent. 

Keep it civil, I don't want a thread of "I love crushing their little re roll dreams!" , I am honestly curious as to the driving factors as to why someone would want to start from scratch, repeating the same content, all for the sake of a better signature block.

Thanks

Interesting that you refer to your learning period as "artificially" pulling your numbers down when it's the rerolls who are artificially inflating their numbers.  Also, good clans typically have good recruiters who don't look at overalls.  They will look at recents, specifically in your tier 10 tanks to determine whether or not you qualify.

Jolly33 #13 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 17:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 54970 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A
They create faux-purple re-roll accounts so they can get into THUGZ.  Mystery solved.

golruul #14 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 18:30

Major

• Players
  • 27386 battles

After reading so many complaints on how f2p players are so disadvantaged and oppressed, I created a pure f2p account (except referral from main + Churchill III new player code) just to see how bad it is.

It isn't bad at all.  In fact, it's absolutely easy and fantastic compared to when I first started.

Anyway, that's why I created a second account.

hobbyt_tanker #15 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 18:46

Major

• Players
  • 1993 battles
  • [TER] TER

View Postgolruul, on Jan 24 2023 - 18:30, said:

After reading so many complaints on how f2p players are so disadvantaged and oppressed, I created a pure f2p account (except referral from main + Churchill III new player code) just to see how bad it is.

It isn't bad at all.  In fact, it's absolutely easy and fantastic compared to when I first started.

Anyway, that's why I created a second account.

How high up the ladder did you go?  This F2P acct. has some higher tiers, but seems to be mostly in the 4-6 range.

CAPTMUDDXX #16 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 18:51

Major

• Players
  • 25883 battles
  • [DAMN] DAMN

"Having said that, I often wonder "why?", why do people create these accounts?"  

​Simply because they are allowed to.

ThaneTyrian #17 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 18:54

Captain

• Players
  • 21831 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

Technically, I have THREE accounts. 

My Main, which is a TOTAL WALLET WARRIOR, COLLECTOR'S ACCOUNT, in which my aim is to get EVERY TANK in my Garage (I have 689 Tanks at the moment).  Spent a TON of MONEY on THAT account, and my Quest to get EVERYTHING in it continues.  I try and want to play well in it, but I don't overly worry about my Stats (22,000ish Battles - 47.75% Win Rate)...

I started a Second Account, which I completely plan to play FREE-TO-PLAY.  ZERO money spent on it.  Why?  Just to experience THAT side of the game.   The COMPLETE OPPOSITE of my Main Account.  I haven't played a game in it yet - LOL

"My" Third Account is actually my Son's Account.  He's the one that got me INTO WoT in 2012, but he moved onto other games about 3 years ago.  He spent a little money in it back in the day.  Had a few Premiums.  A few Tier Xs.  Well, in the hopes of getting him interested in playing again, I resurrected it, spent some money on it, modernized it, so to speak.  Added my favorite Premiums (GSOR 1008, T77, Sumoa SM), and a few Tier Xs (Obj 907 - which isn't even in MY Main Account yet, Obj 277).  Alas, the allure is still not there for him, so I kind of Shepherd this Account - occasionally playing it when there's something to add I think he might like (aforementioned Adds and the Reward Tier IXs AE Phase 1, Char Futur, Obj 777, K-91-PT). 

So, THREE Accounts with NO RE-ROLLS just to get better Stats....

Death_on_2_Treads #18 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 19:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23812 battles
  • [NYK] NYK

So many reasons, not all of them bad:

To display Better stats now that they understand the game after playing it for a bit 

to erase a embarrassing past (vanity)

Want to grind all over gain ( not sure why, but to each his own)

Account that kids use as well

One is pay, one is free to play

To post on the forum anonymously

I'm sure there are others........

F4U_wingman #19 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 19:30

Captain

• Players
  • 115335 battles

The lack of imagination is as limitless as the reasons why a person has multiple accounts.

The label of "reroll" is ambiguous and the idea of having it apply to all of these accounts to me would be narrow-minded.

Not to brag but I have 10 accounts and one is on EU server.

Someday maybe I'll have more accounts and then put them all in the same clan... just another idea to throw out there.

Casual_Boops #20 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 19:35

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 46643 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
Let people enjoy the game playing whichever tiers they prefer. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users