43 replies to this topic

hobbyt_tanker #1 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 1993 battles
  • [TER] TER

Elsethread, 'Boops made an observation that is not unusual nor unique to him*:

Casual_Boops, on Jan 24 2023 - 19:35, said:

Let people enjoy the game playing whichever tiers they prefer. 

So many people get their knickers knotted because others are playing low or mid tiers, or on the SA server.  The question, then, is given the hysterics they present that there MUST be some perceived harm being done to them - otherwise their attitude would be the same "meh" that they exhibit when finding out, for instance, that I ride a Honda Forza.**

Therefore ... what's the injury?  Well, one possibility is that lower-tier SA players are depriving them of HP to farm at higher tiers.  I can sort of manage Tier VIII, and have a few IXes and Xes that I don't completely crap myself in, but for the most part I'm just a crop at those levels.  But that sort of complaint is never really voiced*** so if it IS one of the reasons, it's a well-hidden one.

It may be that it's a truly honest and heartfelt .... heartfelt ... honest ... Apologies.  I'm laughing too hard to type "honest and heartfelt concern for the new player seals, driving them off in droves."  I expect that seal clubbing has been going on since Month Two or thereabouts, as soon as there was a discernible advantage from higher tier players dropping back down.  It did not seem to discourage them from climbing up the ranks and, more importantly, if somebody new to a game gets discouraged by having their butt whupped, then they're probably too much of a snowflake anyway and Candy Crush is on sale this week.

No, it has to be something personal and painful to create such an amount of hate and bitterness.  The answer is, no surprise, "statistics."  For some, stats are irrelevant.  For others, they're a great way of keeping track of their progress in the game.  But for a large and vocal percentage, statistics are an essential part of their own self-worth.  Game stats have zero value in the Real World - in fact, they arguably have negative value since acquiring them represents time NOT spent in furthering education or engaging in productive work.  For statstitutes, though, that's possibly the highest accomplishment they have in life, and thus anything that devalues that accomplishment results in something akin to a nervous breakdown and a foaming-at-the-mouth frothing rage.

"HOW DARE BIG GREEN SEAL CLUB ON SA AND GET A PURPLE COLOR????"  Ya know what?  No skin off my nose.  Heck, he could bump up into the ultraviolet by playing Whack-A-LOLtraktor and it doesn't take one dime out of my paycheck, one brick out of my house, or one tire off my Forza.  But that Big Green's main account is a purple is apparently a serious affront to some, because, I guess, it means that their dark green is worth less.  E-peen envy.  It's ugly.  Sadly, it's also incurable.

"HOW DARE SOME MEDIOCHRE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT MY GREEN 'THOUGHTS?'"  That's just an ad hominem logical fallacy and, as quite a few here point out, logical fallacies are signs of a losing argument that cannot win on the merits.  Why should it matter that a player is such a tomato that XVM had to invent a new Infra-red setting for him?  The idea either has merit or not, and stats only add or remove weight from the value of the idea.  Skill level can have value when discussing mechanics or tactics.  But in other areas in life?  Not so much.

"P2W!  RIGGING!  CHEATING!"  So?  I'm a selfish SOB.  If I'm enjoying the game then it matters squat to me IRT what others may be doing.  Let's take a rigger's worst nightmare and presume that 50% of all players are cheating.  That means that my 29 person co-play unit is likely equally balanced for cheating potential and the game remains reasonably balanced.  I will go forth with my pew-pew machine and have fun.  But ohhhh, if those riggers are affecting MY STATS, then the statstitute issue becomes more painfully obvious. 

In short ... stats are a useful part of the game in that they let me know I'm getting gooder and gooder.  Slowly.  But they're also responsible for one of the most toxic parts of the game as well.  Maybe one solution is to figure out a way to keep them private - but until then ... well, stay away from those dark game corners where the statstitutes hang out is all I can say.

*while 'Boops is LIKELY male, I'm making no a$$umptions here.  But I AM a traditionalist, stickler, and utter pedant when it comes to English and the male pronoun is also the pronoun used when the gender of the person is unknown. 

**today.  When it's 30 degrees and beautifully sunny outside.

***other than in regard to players suiciding, but that's a different matter.

Kritas #2 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 20:54

Captain

• Players
  • 5517 battles
I'm a bit more concerned about my stats on Schwab.com than those on Tomato.gg.  :teethhappy:

Dishonest_John #3 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 20:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8751 battles
  • [WGAF] WGAF
You had me at "Elsethread"

Markd73 #4 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 20:57

Major

• Players
  • 37897 battles
  • [2M8TO] 2M8TO

View Posthobbyt_tanker, on Jan 24 2023 - 19:43, said:

...snip...

"HOW DARE SOME MEDIOCHRE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT MY GREEN 'THOUGHTS?'"  That's just an ad hominem logical fallacy and, as quite a few here point out, logical fallacies are signs of a losing argument that cannot win on the merits.  Why should it matter that a player is such a tomato that XVM had to invent a new Infra-red setting for him?  The idea either has merit or not, and stats only add or remove weight from the value of the idea.  Skill level can have value when discussing mechanics or tactics.  But in other areas in life?  Not so much.

.snip...

This ^^^

If someone is trying to explain a specific gameplay mechanic in say a replay then I am going to give their opinion more weight if they are a unicum with a high average tier played.  Why? Because they have demonstrated a superior understanding on these types of issues via their gameplay.

If the same uncium has ideas around the price of tea in China, then IMHO unless they are a tea merchant from China then their opinion does not have more weight.

omi5cron #5 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 21:38

Major

• Players
  • 38484 battles

Honda Forza...

...plebe...

heavymetal1967 #6 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 21:47

Major

• Players
  • 89617 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

E-peen evny - nailed it. Plus one OP.

I_QQ_4_U #7 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 21:52

Major

• Players
  • 34855 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
Don't care one iota what tiers someone plays unless they try to use their stats as a bragging point when their average tier is 3. I have a fair amount of low tier premiums I could play but I just don't like playing low tiers, even tier 6 is starting to feel kind of silly when I have teams where half the players have far few games played than I did when I moved to tier 3 but I have lots of tier 6 premiums and few tech tree tanks I like so I play them for quick missions and BP stuff mostly.

Kritas #8 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 21:58

Captain

• Players
  • 5517 battles

View Posthobbyt_tanker, on Jan 24 2023 - 13:43, said:

Game stats have zero value in the Real World - in fact, they arguably have negative value since acquiring them represents time NOT spent in furthering education or engaging in productive work.  

Well, this explains why the WoT pickup lines I've been using to impress women have been striking out. Dammit!

"My KV-2 is decked out in the most impressive assault camo you ever saw. I'll take you for a ride sometime."

"I always use the BIG gun!"

"My dog's name is Szarik. Would you like to meet him?"

ATruk #9 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:04

Major

• Players
  • 89547 battles
  • [OVERC] OVERC

View PostKritas, on Jan 24 2023 - 13:58, said:

Well, this explains why the WoT pickup lines I've been using to impress women have been striking out. Dammit!

"My KV-2 is decked out in the most impressive assault camo you ever saw. I'll take you for a ride sometime."

I've had the most luck showing them my Objects. Russian bias? I don't ask.

PapioTitan #10 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:05

Major

• Players
  • 55537 battles
  • [CRED] CRED
I had to look up e-peen and that's the least of my worries. I play low tiers to complete missions and then I play what I enjoy. It's not rocket science. 

CAPTMUDDXX #11 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:07

Major

• Players
  • 25883 battles
  • [DAMN] DAMN

Bravo 

Hobby T

ATruk #12 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:09

Major

• Players
  • 89547 battles
  • [OVERC] OVERC

Nice read. Thanks. 

Thing is, stats are NOT responsible for the poor behaviour. 

Poor behaviour comes from the head of the behaver

cloudwalking #13 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:13

Major

• Players
  • 198 battles

Only time any low tier/sa player has every bothered me is if they are trying to dictate to others how to play or claiming they are someone who understands the finer points and are someone to be taken seriously in terms of game play abilities.  In my opinion, you need to be playing high tiers and be above avg to really be voicing to others what they are doing wrong or how to play.  sharing experiences is not what I'm talking about here though.

One example - a low tier/below avg player trying to tell someone how to play a high tier tank will not carry much weight with me.  If they are expressing how they play their tank then I'm perfectly fine with it.

seal clubbing - Yeah, it's been happening since day one of release.  The clubbers found the clubbing tanks during open Beta and when the game launched they ran IMMEDIATELY for the clubbing tanks (t54 back in the day is one for sure).  My stance on clubbing is you will only ever learn from someone better than you, or at least getting the better of you in a situation.  so if a clubber gets me, I will remember what happened and it will not be so easy next time.  On top of that - I'm not at lower tiers long enough for clubbers to really influence me and I doubt most people are that are grinding, unless they want to be at those tiers.  With xp books and everything, grinding out of low tiers is insanely easy now.

I've honestly never heard anyone above average get upset with low tier players because they felt they were missing out on damage by those players playing low tiers.  They might be out there, but I've never personally heard that complaint.  If I did, I'd tell the person to grow up I think.

stats - For me, stats were a HUGE draw.  From the first game I played I said to myself I want people to fear me when they see my name.  I'm very competitive though.  That being said, I'm FIRMLY on the side of play whatever you want and have fun and if stats don't matter then there is nothing wrong with that.  

stats do come in to the equation, for me, when someone is trying to argue a point.  There is a well known forum entity that strongly voices their opinion on things as fact.  That same person does not understand how to use their lightbulb as a 'radar' and called others cheaters when they said they could do it too.  I will use that persons stats as an argument that they have proven they do not understand what they are talking about all day long.  so, again, I don't care if someone is talking about personal experiences or if someone is bad at the game, both are perfectly fine.  But this person regularly expresses his/her opinion as fact when they have proven they understand nothing.  In those cases...stats do matter.

P2W/Cheating - For me, the game is definitely pay2win on certain criteria.  You can go and buy a premium tank that is hands down better than the tech tree tank, giving you a paid for advantage.  For me, that's pay2win.  In my mind, it doesn't matter if someone is skilled enough to take advantage of the benefits they have bought, but those benefits are there regardless.  WG are horrible about this now in my mind.  The cheating is a different subject.  The people on here claiming all their games are rigged - I've offered personal training room time with several at one point or another.  No judgment, no ridicule, no laughing...I will help you figure some stuff out in a fun and friendly training room...crickets.  so the 'game is rigged' crowd are literal children that want to complain because they don't want to put forth the effort needed to actually win in this game.  

The game is rigged crowd are truly special individuals and I can't imagine what it's like to go through their day.

+1 OP.  

Edited by cloudwalking, Jan 24 2023 - 22:17.

ProfessionalFinn #14 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:13

Major

• Players
  • 40936 battles
  • [GOML] GOML
+1, more posts OP!  To your Honda comment...(yes I am a boomer)  Bonus question:  Who sings the soundtrack?

goldfinger_555 #15 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:16

Major

• Players
  • 28716 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC
I stopped reading after you mentioned Honda Forza. ;)

Kliphie_Reborn #16 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 21 battles
I, for one, enjoy all the ... stuff the SA bot killing clan's throw at each other. 

Kritas #17 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:18

Captain

• Players
  • 5517 battles

I had this really cool jersey made for when I go out. It's a real conversation starter.

heavymetal1967 #18 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 89617 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Jan 24 2023 - 16:13, said:

+1, more posts OP!  To your Honda comment...(yes I am a boomer)  Bonus question:  Who sings the soundtrack?

Spoiler

Edited by heavymetal1967, Jan 24 2023 - 22:46.

gmotoman #19 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:23

Major

• Players
  • 59408 battles
I had the Elite 80 in college.

hobbyt_tanker #20 Posted Jan 24 2023 - 22:40

Major

• Players
  • 1993 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostKritas, on Jan 24 2023 - 20:54, said:

I'm a bit more concerned about my stats on Schwab.com than those on Tomato.gg.  :teethhappy:

Yeah, if I had those stats I'd be worried too....   :sceptic:

But nobody MADE you YOLO into those bitcoin shares.

View Postomi5cron, on Jan 24 2023 - 21:38, said:

Honda Forza...

...plebe...

Hey, it's an upgrade from riding Mrs. Koala's Metropolitan!

I was really looking more toward the NAVI, but nobody had 'em in stock.  Neighbor stopped as he was driving past and pointed out (correctly) that the poor little Metro was looking quite strained and that he was selling the Forza.

View PostKritas, on Jan 24 2023 - 21:58, said:

Just don't go with the "I'd like to spend some gold with you for some FXP" one.   Undercover police officers have NO sense of humor about that.:(

View PostPapioTitan, on Jan 24 2023 - 22:05, said:

I had to look up e-peen and that's the least of my worries. I play low tiers to complete missions and then I play what I enjoy. It's not rocket science. 

That's about it, yep.  No slam on folks like QQ who prefer higher tiers, and there are definitely a lot kewler tanks up there at VIII and above.

View Postcloudwalking, on Jan 24 2023 - 22:13, said:

One example - yadda yadda yadda...

+1 OP.  

Reported for writing a longer post than my original one....  :angry:

:P

Only time ... yadda etc. any low tier/View PostKritas, on Jan 24 2023 - 22:18, said:

I had this really cool jersey made for when I go out. It's a real conversation starter.

That might actually work, though!

Way ahead of my bumper sticker that says "My Other Ride Is A PzIIJ."

View Postgmotoman, on Jan 24 2023 - 22:23, said:

I had the Elite 80 in college.

Over the years I've had everything from a 49cc scooter up through an 1100cc cruiser.  College was a Yamaha 650 and grad school a Honda 450.

Mostly ... mid tiers, actually, now that I think about it.  But not on SA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users