How to: Surviving the Tier I through X grind

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

n00bpwner #1 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 13:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3238 battles
This is not the guide.  Seeing as the OP is now at the top of every page, I'm going to put the guide in the first reply so you don't get wall-of-text raped at every page.  If you're here before the guide's up, please be considerate and and wait until I get the guide up before replying.  Thanks in advance.

Oh, and if you flame me by saying that I only have lights/mediums and I posted in the wrong section if you see this incomplete... be patient.  I'm going to get to the heavies eventually :P

n00bpwner #2 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 13:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3238 battles
Alright, so, you've decided you want an IS-7.  That's good.  However, the grind up the Russian Heavy line can be quite challenging, and will undoubtedly make some quit.  This guide is to help you grind through the tiers maybe not as quickly as possible, but to make the most out of the run.

However, you must remember to elite every tank.  Even if you don't think you want or need that module, you'll always want to elite whatever vehicle your currently in.  Sure, it might mean that you have to spend some extra days, or even weeks or months in your vehicle, but you'll be thanking yourself not only later down the line but in the other Russian lines as well.

Now, let's look at some individual tanks:

Tier I: MS-1

This tankette is the starting tank for all USSR lines.  It's playstyle is different from the other lines (obviously): You don't have the health and armor of the Leichtraktor, nor the speed of the T1 Cunningham, but you do have the best gun with the 45mm.  Use it to snipe and support the front lines.  Getting in close is inadvisable with this tank, with its meager maneuverability and health.  As with all of your tanks, it's advised to elite this tank before moving on to the T-26.

Tier II: T-26
This is your first "proper" tank.  It's somewhat similar to how the MS-1 plays, but so is the BT-2.  What you'll find this time is that you actually have some health, about 100 more with the upgraded turret. This time, you have a 37mm gun that can perform the same role as the 45mm from the MS-1.  You also have a slight increase in armor (though not much) and a slightly faster speed.  This time, you can afford to get close and personal with your foe, but don't let your health and gun get to your head; if you find yourself surrounded, you don't have the speed to get away and you won't last long.  Again, elite before moving to the T-46.

Tier III: T-46
This is another step up from the T-26, and again, it boasts more health, more armor, more speed, and an even bigger gun (gee, go figure :/).  Despite the 37mm auto being a tier higher and having an improved reload time, it doesn't have enough penetration to fight against the bigger stuff you're facing, including tier V heavies.  Instead, go for the 45mm VT-42, which boasts 75mm penetration (which pen a KV dead-on from the rear) and more damage than the 37 auto.  Again, research before going for the much-maligned T-28.

Tier IV: T-28
This is your first medium tank, provided you didn't go down a medium tree before this.  This tank sees a lot of crap being talked about it, and for good reason.  It is, in fact, fairly low-quality in the beginning.  However, all of that changes with the 85mm gun: all of a sudden, you're a force to be reckoned with.  My own personal performance was pitiful at first.  First game with the 85mm, got 3 kills in 90 seconds.  Although I would prefer if you went with the 85mm as to better prepare you for the heavies, some people will prefer the 57mm for its 2-second reload, and that's fine too.  Your next vehicle, the KV, will more than make up for the crappiness of this tank.

Tier V: KV
This is your first heavy, and you will be having quite a bit of fun with this one, I might add.  You start with the KV-1, which has a fairly paltry (though still serviceable) 76mm gun.  It only gets better from there, with the other 76mm gun boasting increased damage and pen, and the 122mm U-11, being the mini-derp it is, devastating lower tiers with 450 HE damage.  And all that's before the KV-2 turret!  Once you get that, you can research the KV's Holy Grail: the 107mm ZiS-6.  Although the 152mm does do epic damage and gets a lot of praise from the forums, I severely recommend against using it: it has a 22 second reload, and it poorly prepares you for the rest of the Heavy line.  When playing, use your superior firepower, but also keep in mind that your armor is fairly weak for your tier at 95/75/75 for the hull.  Unlike most of the rest of the tanks, keep the KV as a credit grinder.  Trust me, things get VERY expensive even starting the next tier up.  Although many will recommend the KV-3, the KV-1S will better prepare you for the IS-series, and will be the tank that I'm discussing next.

Tier VI: KV-1S
Yes, I know I already have a guide for it here, but I'm just going to put a summary up here for now until the guide becomes more complete.  The KV-1S is basically a tank with an identity crisis: a medium tank that WG has (perhaps wrongly) labelled as a heavy tank.  However, with the heavy tank status comes a heavy tank gun, and you get more than that with the IS-3's stock gun, which also happens to be the best gun you can mount on a tier 6 non-arty, non-TD vehicle.  Just keep your paltry armor away from the other team's big guns, and keep your boom stick firing at all times.  This is also where you get your first sight of tier X tanks (if you haven't platooned or gone up a different line).  Keep at the wannabe-heavy and you'll get to the start of the Russian's main heavy line: the IS heavy tank.

More to come as I get the time.

1M4N5H0W #3 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 13:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14970 battles
  • [-VX-] -VX-
Very interesting so far. Just one small qeustion so far, when you say elite up, does that include your crew to 100% as well? Especially for the lower tiers?
Cheers :)

Chairman_Maus #4 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 14:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I think he means elite as in research all the equipment on the lowest tier you can to have it unlocked if available on the next tier.

Rincer #5 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 19:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8448 battles
It might also be worth noting that the OPs profile indicates that his highest tier Russian heavy is currently the tier 7 IS with 85 battles and 34 victories.

http://worldoftanks....6962-n00bpwner/

He also seems to have avoided getting the ever so popular KV-3  :(

n00bpwner #6 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 21:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3238 battles

View PostRincer, on Oct 31 2011 - 19:02, said:

It might also be worth noting that the OPs profile indicates that his highest tier Russian heavy is currently the tier 7 IS with 85 battles and 34 victories.

Congrats, you know how to pick apart several details for your own gain.  How about spending less time focusing on my stats and more time on the merit of the info I'm offering to the public.  My stats have ZERO bearing on this guide, and I have no idea why they should.  Stats don't dictate what modules a gun has.  Stats don't dictate the worth of an individual's thoughts.

Less stats, more helping, please.

MajorOffensive #7 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 21:53

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 15665 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE
Ignoring the bit about your personal stats, the KV-3 actually prepares you better for the IS-4 than the KV-1S.  They have much more in common.  I agree about the others in the IS series, at least until they add more.

Also, I completely disagree about the 152mm for the KV-2.  It guarantees good damage no matter what tier enemy you face.  It's great for peek-a-BOOM or keeping back a bit to play support for bigger tanks; you just need to keep near cover or raised terrain during reload.  I found it much more reliable than the 107mm, and I elited the tank twice (once in beta).  This is true as the matchmaking stands pre-7.0, though;  they plan to change that in the future.

thejoker91 #8 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 21:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13798 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View PostRincer, on Oct 31 2011 - 19:02, said:

Congratulations, here is your degree of being an elitist douchebag.

He takes his time to do a guide in order to help people go through the grind, using his personal experience with it so others dont have to suffer the same fate.

AS a side note, 85 battles is a very small sample, he could have easily been screwed by the matchmaker. Hell, back in the beta, my ferdi had a 35% win ration in the 100 games, and a 60% by the time I hit 300, and it was elited from the beggining.

Rincer #9 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 22:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8448 battles

View Postn00bpwner, on Oct 31 2011 - 21:45, said:

Congrats, you know how to pick apart several details for your own gain.  How about spending less time focusing on my stats and more time on the merit of the info I'm offering to the public.  My stats have ZERO bearing on this guide, and I have no idea why they should.  Stats don't dictate what modules a gun has.  Stats don't dictate the worth of an individual's thoughts.

Less stats, more helping, please.

Your post is titled 'Surviving the Tier 1 through X grind', but your highest tank is a tier 7.

What if you stop playing tomorrow for whatever reason? How will your readers know that you will ever complete your guide?

Just saying that if you already had an IS-7 your guide would have a lot more credibility. Also even for the tier 1 to 7 grind you skipped the KV-3, which is a really popular tank. Most people go KV -> KV-3 -> IS.

MajorOffensive #10 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 22:05

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 15665 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View PostRincer, on Oct 31 2011 - 22:01, said:

Your post is titled 'Surviving the Tier 1 through X grind', but your highest tank is a tier 7.

What if you stop playing tomorrow for whatever reason? How will your readers know that you will ever complete your guide?

Just saying that if you already had an IS-7 your guide would have a lot more credibility. Also even for the tier 1 to 7 grind you skipped the KV-3, which is a really popular tank. Most people go KV -> KV-3 -> IS.

Not all go KV-3, and there is no reason his guide needs to include alternate approaches.  Besides, there are a dozen other guides just like this, and many more over specific tanks.  Most people probably have a decent idea what they're doing in the tech tree by the time they move beyond tier 5 anyway.

Tokolosk #11 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 22:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 8730 battles
  • [ICPA] ICPA
I actually liked the T-28 with the 85mm. It's a fast tank (relatively), good acceleration and good for uphills. This makes it ideal for hit and run tactics or flanking. Anyways I wouldn't call it a crappy tank. Sure it's huge and easy to hit but tons of fun.

As for the KV, don't diss the 152mm derp. I found myself quite often in high-tier matches with my KV and so always at the bottom. Having the derp lets me damage high-tier tanks getting me lots of xp and creds before getting killed. In low-tier games the 107 is king as the "extra" damage from the 152mm is essentially wasted.

Pity you skipped the KV-3, it's your first heavy that feels like a heavy: you get to bounce lots of shots and can get two very good guns, the 107 and 122.  It also teaches you to angle your tank to increase armor, the disadvantage of being slow (so you think before you go anywhere), and how to do a proper push through enemy defenses when you are top tier. If you want to I can write a paragraph for it.

Rincer #12 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 22:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8448 battles

View PostMajorOffensive, on Oct 31 2011 - 22:05, said:

Not all go KV-3, and there is no reason his guide needs to include alternate approaches.  Besides, there are a dozen other guides just like this, and many more over specific tanks.  Most people probably have a decent idea what they're doing in the tech tree by the time they move beyond tier 5 anyway.

Sure, and big credit goes to all the people including the OP who take the time writing those guides.

However I have a fully upgraded IS-3 right now and working towards IS-4, I also researched both KV-3 and KV-1S.

I started reading this post hoping to get some useful information, but it ended at T-46? So I looked at his stats just to see what I can expect in future additions and discovered that his highest tank is a Tier 7 IS.

False advertizing!  :Smile_great:

Chairman_Maus #13 Posted Oct 31 2011 - 23:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am not going to bash on the OP. However by the time you are finished the IS7 will not be the only tier 10 russian tank. So you may want to save room for the IS4 and IS7 at tier 10 and whatever tanks they will be puting in between the others. For future reference though I would save your ongoing research as a word document and then publish it when you are satisfied it is complete. Good thought and heart into this though man S!

zap123 #14 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 00:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7925 battles
Eh, props to the OP for trying to help.  As a counter to some of the critics, I hated the KV-3 and wish someone had suggested trying the KV-1s instead.  As a suggestion for the OP, I actually found the T-46 far more effective with the 76mm mini derp gun.

Ivanthedad64 #15 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 01:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28374 battles
  • [BBICT] BBICT

This is not the guide. Seeing as the OP is now at the top of every page,

Awesome idea! I gave up reading the IS-3 guide because of that. Thankyou.

n00bpwner #16 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 03:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3238 battles
Alright, public service announcement time, going to try to answer everybody here.

@Rincer: let me start off by apologizing.  I first saw you as trying to troll me, and I reacted harshly.  If you're just here to help, then I'm all for it, and I apologize for my previous actions towards you.  Also, if you want to write some stuff about the IS-3 for me to throw up here, by all means do so, and I'll put it in.

@Tokolosk: thank you, and I would appreciate that.  But don't bother going out of your way to do so, I don't want to pressure anybody but myself with this guide :P.

@everybody: this guide is not anywhere NEAR finished.  I'm just doing summaries now.   You know my other guide for the KV-1S?  It's here, if you don't.  Yeah, it's long.  Whenever I'm finished with this guide, I'll have that much info for Every.  Single.  Tank.  I'm not kidding when I put up "Longest guide to date".  Because whenever it's finished, it'll probably have about 5GB of info on here in the guide alone :lol:.

Thanks to everyone for being patient, and I'll try to get this updated ASAP.

Rincer #17 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 05:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8448 battles

View Postn00bpwner, on Nov 01 2011 - 03:17, said:

Alright, public service announcement time, going to try to answer everybody here.

@Rincer: let me start off by apologizing.  I first saw you as trying to troll me, and I reacted harshly.  If you're just here to help, then I'm all for it, and I apologize for my previous actions towards you.  Also, if you want to write some stuff about the IS-3 for me to throw up here, by all means do so, and I'll put it in.

No problem, like I said before I was just hoping to find some info in there about IS-4 and IS-7 (because of the title) and when it wasn't there I looked at your profile. I bet other people will react in the same way, so you might want to put some sort of progress update status in there on what tanks you are currently covering.

kirby20x6 #18 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 06:19

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2242 battles
  • [MLPWN] MLPWN
Interesting idea, but more details about each tank's playstyle would be helpful.  Stuff like "This tank has a low maximum speed, but gets there almost instantly" or "Everyone and their mother will get past your armor."

1M4N5H0W #19 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 06:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14970 battles
  • [-VX-] -VX-
Thanks for the info so far. My son is currently on the KV1 and I know he can't deside which tank to go to next, so this will help out a lot. As for me, well, I'm on my way to the T34-84 with the aim of getting the T54. Maybe one day I'll head off for my IS7.

Edit.

Slight change of plans, I only figured out the other day that the KV is splitting into the KV1 and the KV2 with a free slot and a free KV2. So now I am gunning (hopefully before the patch is realeased (: )for the KV. Thanks for the guide so far. Busy on the T46 and should. Break into the T28 soon. So far I actually enjoy the T46. Not elited yet but its fun to play ;).

sr360 #20 Posted Nov 02 2011 - 18:50

Major

• Players
  • 28424 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Nice work, OP. I think your opinions are well-thought out, although I would have minor quibbles.

I would like to point out that the T-26 and T-46 have FANTASTIC agility for their tiers, and can turn on a dime. It makes them fairly good low-tier brawlers when combined with their fairly decent guns for the tier.

I don't have any issues with the T-28's description. I did not have a good time with that tank, and I tried all the guns. I finally settled on the 57 mm because I used the tank as a fast, mobile but poorly armored sniper.

The KV for me shone with the 107. I did try the 152, since I didn't think my KV experience would be complete without it. And while I can appreciate what that gun brings to the table, I felt the 107's all-around excellence better fit my playstile. YMMV.

The KV-1S is clearly a better introduction to the IS than the KV-3 is, but the KV-3 is a VERY good tank for several reasons. Firstly, it *feels* like a heavy, with the slow speed, armor and guns to make a statement; heck I've bounced IS 122mm shots on the KV-3. Secondly, it does have a better gun selection than the KV-1S: whereas the KV-1S has the 122 U-11(?) mini-derp, the KV-3 gets to start with the 107 from the KV; and thirdly, it also gets the further option to unlock the 100 (the best starting gun for the IS) as well as the 122 mm D-2-5T (which has slow reload but an incredible fear factor). From the KV-1S, you have to start the IS with the stock gun, which is fairly underpowered.