Planes Vs Tanks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

tiger4847 #1 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 18:01

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
After playing World of Tanks for a while I often wonder how good it would be to fly a plane against a tank, and into Flack.
I think having planes in the game would add a whole new excitment to the game. Now I know that a second world war tank doesn't stand much of a chance against a plane, but if the tank is backed up with Anti Aircraft Guns or other planes. it could work. what do you think?

vespid #2 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 18:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
This has come up many times, especially with the new world of warplanes game on the horizon.

With how so many players whine about arty in the game, just imagine how they'll react to tank-busting aircraft.

Not a good idea for this game. Other Battlefield games do that sort of thing if a player wants that experience. IMHO it would ruin this game.

paradat #3 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 18:05

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well in WWII fighter bombers where the bane of tanks. Truely a onesided fight.

If we had a WOWP battle going on over a tank battle and there was ADA that would be fun. But typicaly who ever wins the air battle is going to dramaticly effect the ground battle once they switch from air to air, to air to ground.

Personnaly I would like to try it as a optional battle.

For now go play Battlefield 3

SeanPwnery #4 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 18:05

Major

• Veteran Testers
  • 0 battles
Of course it'll work. The Germans had a Flakpanzer with 4 20mm guns that would light up the night sky on the British during night raids over Berlin.

Love playing German tanks here in WoT, but the prospect of flying an SB2C Helldiver and dropping some hot death in the form of 4 - 500 pound bombs on an unsuspecting E-100, or using an antiquated TBD Devastator is really exciting indeed. I'll be US plane heavy for sure.  :Smile-izmena:

Edit : As for ruining tanks... I'm inclined to agree with the current setup and small battle-size. I think the only way it'll work is if they add AA tanks to WoT and expand the battle size to about 40-50 player battles (20-25 a side) so that way they can maybe FINALLY fix the MM to work by class AND tier and set it up something like this :

(basing this on 25 per side)

4 Arty - 16% of the fighting force
4 TD - 16% of the fighting force
4 AA Tanks - 16% of the fighting force
13 Tanks - 52% of the fighting force (Scouts and FO's/MT's/HT's - the bulk of the fighting force)

Limitations of the Warplanes on the same battle-field to 25v25 :

2 - observation planes/recon plane - 8% of the force
6 - dive-bomber/torpedo plane - 24% of the force
17 - fighters (single or dual engine) - strafing still possible, but limited damage to a tank - 68% remaining force

I can envision an AA tank or two following a group of the fighting tank force slightly rearward of them similar to how a TD would be positioned to offer AA protection from the bombers and strafers.

Like BF3 : The Warplanes will have a much larger field of play that the tanks will not have. Their "area of engagement" will be the Tanks-sized map area but dogfighting can still go on outside of these boundaries between planes. To be honest, the map sizes would still probably need to at least double in size to accomodate the larger forces of a 50-player ground and 50-player air battle. Round timer would have to probably double as well.

tiger4847 #5 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 18:14

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postparadat, on Nov 01 2011 - 18:05, said:

Well in WWII fighter bombers where the bane of tanks. Truely a onesided fight.

If we had a WOWP battle going on over a tank battle and there was ADA that would be fun. But typicaly who ever wins the air battle is going to dramaticly effect the ground battle once they switch from air to air, to air to ground.

Personnaly I would like to try it as a optional battle.

For now go play Battlefield 3

But that is the whole point of war. Who ever works together stands more of a chance of winning. Germany used their aircraft very well in the early stages of the war.

Tanz #6 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 18:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It would be cool to see them in the game..just so I can get a Flakpanzer "Whirbelwind", Moebelwagon Flak 43, or Coelian http://forum.worldof...le-playing.gif. Yet, as vespid stated..to many whine about arti...so imagine how they would be with planes bombing them http://forum.worldof...efault/arta.gif

zztong #7 Posted Nov 01 2011 - 18:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Sure, If wargaming.net offered a combined arms game, I would be intrigued. I'd love to mix wargaming.net's user interfaces and playability with WWII Online's campaign setting.

But there are many issues with trying to add combined arms to World of Tanks, or even just mixing WoT and WoWP together. The first would be "scale." I'm not even sure if some of those warplanes could turn around in a WoT battlefield and tanks on a WoWP map would spend more time finding each other than they do today (which isn't necessarily bad).