What is better? E2 or E8?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

Poll: What is better? E2 or E8? (152 members have cast votes)

What is better?

1. E2 (58 votes [38.16%])

Percentage of vote: 38.16%

2. E8 (53 votes [34.87%])

Percentage of vote: 34.87%

3. Both (41 votes [26.97%])

Percentage of vote: 26.97%

Vote Hide poll

cody4477 #1 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 01:04

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2250 battles
I wonder if E2 is better than E8 or E8 is better than E2?
Still I like to bounce shells off E2

Mobius13 #2 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 01:06

Captain

• Players
  • 4235 battles
I have the E8.  They're very easy to kill, as its strength lies in its speed, and it seems like everyone (but me, of course  :P  ) who is in one doesn't know how to play it.  On the other hand, the E2 is great in battles where it's near top of the tier, but its armor is useless if it gets into the higher tier fights.

Toasted_Rofls #3 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 06:37

Major

• Players
  • 9759 battles
They both suck.

Wait, hold on, I was thinking of the Lee and T34.

The Jumbo can basically troll almost everything when top tier thanks to the good armor, and gets the same top gun as the Easy 8 as well as the derp gun, which is pretty cool. The Easy 8 is a fast moving medium that doesn't know what armor is, but 1 v 1 the Easy 8 will most likely beat a Jumbo if they are in the open. The Easy 8 also does better in higher tier matches.

Pick what you prefer, protection, or speed. Do note pretty much every tank above the Jumbo Shermans tier, tier 6, will be able to pen it, making you just a slower Easy 8. On the flip side, you can basically laugh at all the little tanks when at the top.

Thornir #4 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 06:44

Captain

• Players
  • 19586 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostToasted_Rofls, on Nov 04 2011 - 06:37, said:

They both suck.

Wait, hold on, I was thinking of the Lee and T34.

The Jumbo can basically troll almost everything when top tier thanks to the good armor, and gets the same top gun as the Easy 8 as well as the derp gun, which is pretty cool. The Easy 8 is a fast moving medium that doesn't know what armor is, but 1 v 1 the Easy 8 will most likely beat a Jumbo if they are in the open. The Easy 8 also does better in higher tier matches.

Pick what you prefer, protection, or speed. Do note pretty much every tank above the Jumbo Shermans tier, tier 6, will be able to pen it, making you just a slower Easy 8. On the flip side, you can basically laugh at all the little tanks when at the top.

I know that for every example there's a counter-example, but honestly, The E8 is just meat on the table for the E2 with the 105. With the traverse of the E2, the E8 can't circle and three hits and the E8 is done. At longer ranges - like tonight on Lakeside - the M1A2 loses its punch whereas the 105 round delivers full exploding goodiness at any range.

That 105 keeps you in the game up to T10. No, the armor isn't effective at T8+ - but what T6's is? At least you have a gun that commands respect! :lol:

Troika #5 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 07:23

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7179 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY
I have bad news for you: that 105 is only a threat to anything T8 or higher from the rear.

Garand #6 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 07:40

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 22777 battles

View PostThornir, on Nov 04 2011 - 06:44, said:

I know that for every example there's a counter-example, but honestly, The E8 is just meat on the table for the E2 with the 105. With the traverse of the E2, the E8 can't circle and three hits and the E8 is done. At longer ranges - like tonight on Lakeside - the M1A2 loses its punch whereas the 105 round delivers full exploding goodiness at any range.

That 105 keeps you in the game up to T10. No, the armor isn't effective at T8+ - but what T6's is? At least you have a gun that commands respect! :lol:

That 105 really starts to yield diminishing returns after tier 6. The Russian 122s at tier 6 have no problem punching the Jumbos front hull.  The U.S 90 (tier 6 td/hvy & tier 7 med) also have no problems.

I feel they are about equal but its an apples to oranges comparison... just two completely different styles of play.  The EZ8s are quick and can be deadly.. especially in a wolf pack with 3 of them.  The Jumbo plays like a heavy tank.

JDCollie #7 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 08:58

Major

• Players
  • 10277 battles

View PostToasted_Rofls, on Nov 04 2011 - 06:37, said:

Do note pretty much every tank above the Jumbo Shermans tier, tier 6, will be able to pen it, making you just a slower Easy 8.
In practice though there are very few tanks possessing armor that is effective against higher tier tanks. The fact the Jumbo is largely immune to tanks of lower (and in some cases, equal) tier gives it a significant edge in survivability over the Easy 8.

fwstriker #8 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 09:01

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
They are both fantastic tanks, but in my view the E8 is Way better. Maybe because it fis my playstyle.
Also first i disliked the tank, but now its my "best" tank. It's agile so you can get arround your enemy and kill him.
So both are good but E8 is WAY better (in my view).

Thornir #9 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 15:57

Captain

• Players
  • 19586 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostTroika, on Nov 04 2011 - 07:23, said:

I have bad news for you: that 105 is only a threat to anything T8 or higher from the rear.

Not my experience. May not do a lot of damage, but critical hits and some % off has happened to everything i've hit.

Oh, except a Maus. Tried to track it, and got nada.

captking #10 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 20:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12763 battles
  • [-WET-] -WET-
Great and Sherman don't belong in the same sentence.  They are both average plagued with a Crap gun.  Until the Mid Tier US Tanks get a Gun with poop.  the Mid Tiers US Tanks are a Joke.  

FYI.  I took one for the team,  i kept a LOWE from moving...sure i don't get payed, and did an ass-load of critical s....WOOHOOOO.

Posted Image

socomseal #11 Posted Nov 05 2011 - 18:33

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 16586 battles
  • [TG] TG
Neither is better. It depends completely on your play style.

The E8 plays more like a fast medium. The sole purpose of the E8 is to make quick flank attacks and spam lots of 76 shells at enemies.

The E2 plays more like a heavy. It should be equipped with the first turret and 105 derp gun. It is great for most situations. However, taking on tier 7+ head on, is always a bad idea in this tank.

I have both. I prefer the E2 because I have been playing American heavies for so long, that I have grown too used to the heavy play style. However, I love my E8, I always have lots of fun in the E8.

LordYinYang #12 Posted Nov 05 2011 - 18:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15612 battles
  • [ML] ML
Support for the E8.

I have the odd feeling that in the near future the E8 will be just like the KV-1S in terms of seeing them, many more go with the KV-3.

If you like the E2, you probably not like the rest of the US med line, as most of them are similar to the E8, terrible armor, extremely agile, fast shooting guns (well compared to their competitors anyway).

YoJoe #13 Posted Nov 05 2011 - 20:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16419 battles
E8 all the way.

Ekstra #14 Posted Nov 05 2011 - 23:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8275 battles
  • [CCAB] CCAB

View Postsocomseal, on Nov 05 2011 - 18:33, said:

The E2 plays more like a heavy. It should be equipped with the first turret and 105 derp gun. It is great for most situations. However, taking on tier 7+ head on, is always a bad idea in this tank.

Why the first turret?

mizaralcor #15 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 08:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7769 battles

View PostEkstra, on Nov 05 2011 - 23:46, said:

Why the first turret?

You lose quite a significant amount of armor from upgrading the first to the second turret. You do gain some view range (irrelevant due to 105mm derp's range of engagement) and 8 deg/sec faster transversal speed. In most cases, the extra armor is not worth the tradeoff of turret transversal speed gain as you won't usually be doing extreme flanking and kiting maneuvers in a Jumbo unlike in Easy 8, but some people may have a different opinion.

crabman #16 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 08:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 6349 battles
I think it really depends on how you played the M4.

If you liked playing peek-a-boo with the 105 in the M4 than the E2 is going to be your tank. You're basically going to be playing the same tank the same way but better. The M1A2 doesn't have good enough penetration to fight tanks fight higher tier tanks from the front. So it's recommended that you stick with the 105 and the extremely thick and heavy starting turret. As others have put it, this configuration will make you an unstoppable wall of derp. You can use the "upgraded" turret if you'd like, but you'll be sacrificing tonnes of armor.

If you liked getting behind other tanks with the M1A1 than the E8 is going to be your tank. Again you're basically going to be playing the same tank the same way but better. In this case you're going to want to fully upgrade your tank. Your tank will be faster and your cannon will fire faster.

This is just from what I've read on the forums. I've only played the E8 and I really enjoyed it. While I enjoyed the speed and mobility of the E8, I couldn't help but feel like I was shooting peas most of the time. I feel like with the 105 you'll at least be able to do some more module damage. The 76mm M1A2 really couldn't pack a punch in terms of HE. While it's an excellent flanking gun, let's face it there are some times when you simply can't flank. Whether it be suicidal to try, or because there's not enough room.

But that's my advice, just base it on how you played the M4.

Garand #17 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:11

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 22777 battles

View Postmizaralcor, on Nov 06 2011 - 08:21, said:

You lose quite a significant amount of armor from upgrading the first to the second turret. You do gain some view range (irrelevant due to 105mm derp's range of engagement) and 8 deg/sec faster transversal speed. In most cases, the extra armor is not worth the tradeoff of turret transversal speed gain as you won't usually be doing extreme flanking and kiting maneuvers in a Jumbo unlike in Easy 8, but some people may have a different opinion.

I have a different opinion :)

I stuck with the 1st turret for awhile due to the armor but a couple weeks ago I decided to switch... here is why:

1) You only loose armor on the turret sides.. the front is the same.  I don't believe I have ever taken a shot on my side turret. The turrets profile is pretty small compared to the hull.
2) The 105 derp gun can reach out a lot further then most give it credit.  I have personally recorded many kills with it out past 450m.
3) Notice how people complain about cloaked tanks?  This is due to having poor vision capability.  I have a Patton with coated optics.. it has pretty much the best vision in the game.  I can see damn near everything.. If I jump into a KV.. I can't see stuff that's right in front of me.  When a tank you're looking at disappears.. its because the person on your team that was lighting it up doesn't see it any more (maybe he was killed).  If you don't have the sight capability to see it... it will look as if it engaged cloak.  So.. I have the 2nd turret.. with coated optics.. it really does make a diff.
4) Pretty sure the second turret gives you a minor hit point buff.

After running around with this setup.. I'm satisfied.  I wont go back to the first turret.

fwstriker #18 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 22:50

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Don't go E2, in the beginning i hated the E8, i got all upgrades, and after playing it i got used to it and now i'm on 1.4 kills per death and 1 kill per game.
Thats something right above average. But to come to the point, get the E8, I have the most fun with it of all of my tanks (i got also the E2 and the M4)

also the E2 is slower then Jagttiger in some situations...

TheRonmasteh #19 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 22:55

Major

• Players
  • 31895 battles
  • [CAZA] CAZA
E8 is the best

medium. Gets more the core idea of a medium tank: Support, flanking, good maneurability.

And the E2 Jumbo is more like a "heavy medium". LEss maneurable but can participate more often on front lines.

Will_of_Iron #20 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 23:01

Major

• Players
  • 21842 battles
  • [TF-A] TF-A
Considering I have bounced a shell from a T34 American heavy tank OFF THE HULL in a Jumbo while trying to hold my own against 2 T29s, some kind of IS, and it, I have to say that the Jumbo is godly. The scary part is I find it to be better than my King Tiger at times  :o I actually have both of these tanks. The only good thing about the Easy 8 is the gun and the ability to get to places where the gun is useful. If you are more of a shell spammer and you like mobility, then the Easy 8 is for you. If you want to feel like you're this guy, then the Jumbo is what you need.