• 15170 battles
I deserve gold for reading through it?

You deserve gold for writing it.

KiwiMark67 #22 Posted Nov 30 2011 - 04:32

Major

• Players
  • 58649 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL
For Ninja scouting I would say that binocs ARE a good choice - you park in a bush and wait a few seconds and suddenly all the enemy light up for your team to snipe and drop arty shells on!
I go with vents + coated optics + binocs for maximum sight range.  I train the crew in camo because unlike the camo net the camo skill works when moving.

My M5 Stuart is an excellent scout with its 420m view range and when you add optics that becomes 462m, park behind cover and let the binocs kick in and you really can see a long way.  Currently my crew is about 66% in their camo skill.

Vulcans_Hammer #23 Posted Nov 30 2011 - 06:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26964 battles
Scouting is a blast if you can stay alive long enough. Players are starting to understand the importance of killing a scout.
And making it through the whole game is getting more difficult.
My peave about being a scout is getting your team to stay close enough to you so that when you spot the enemy they can start shooting right away.
Seems to me they think a scout is dispensible and they can find the enemy with or without you.
I don't scout if the tiers aren't above 6 as both teams rush and scouting is useless as both teams are spotted in less than 20 seconds.
I will stay behind and try and get a kill or two.

I am more of a passive scout easy out plan my retreat..rinse and repeat.
I have played about 980 battles with my T50..great tank.
Have been using it as a scout and a killer.
Only have 12 scout medals,as I really didn't understand my role when I started.
I have 500 kills including 5 tier 10 tanks.
My best stat is base defence, I still can't figure that one out as I am a scout tank???

As you said I agree and think the most important part is knowing the maps,where the enemy will most likely be and staying alive
You posted a fantastic guide great advice for all types of players.
You will post more of your time in W.o.T? Thankyou

MacGG #24 Posted Nov 30 2011 - 06:12

Captain

• Players
  • 18482 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Whooo a place to talk about scouting!

As far as words go, I will say this. Light tanks are easily the most fun class in the game. The possibilities are endless, and this is a fantastic guide. As far as modules go, Coated Optics are a must. The earlier you spot the enemy, the earlier your allies can blast them and the earlier you can make the enemy miss.

As for any advice I may have: the roles on the list are spot on. The thing to remember, though, is that you cannot stay in just one role. You may need to change your role from one second to another, and you have to be ready for that. You need to be aware of the entire map and where all your tanks are and where all the enemy tanks are, and you need to be able to react appropriately to that. I would say the most important thing about being a light tank driver is that you be flexible and willing to take risks. And don't be afraid to change roles at the start of the match or in the middle of the match. And always make sure to something positive before your team is overrun (But that goes for every tank pretty much).

I have a few pictures to share from my collection too!
Spoiler                     

uhateme #25 Posted Nov 30 2011 - 21:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 7973 battles
Lol thanks guys, possibly adding more to the guide at some point. Thanks for being so nice (people always take my name literally) :P.

cavscout2112 #26 Posted Dec 03 2011 - 13:13

Private

• Players
  • 5456 battles
Great advice on the aspects of scouting. I was a scout for 15 years(RECON!) and could not have written a better explanation myself. Those of you that wish to scout would be wise to follow the information in this post.

uhateme #27 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 16:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 7973 battles

View Postcavscout2112, on Dec 03 2011 - 13:13, said:

Great advice on the aspects of scouting. I was a scout for 15 years(RECON!) and could not have written a better explanation myself. Those of you that wish to scout would be wise to follow the information in this post.

o.O interesting, and thanks :)

Mwokee #28 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 03:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 51972 battles
  • [BRIKS] BRIKS
Sorry... I'm going to nominate this thread for Most-Stupid-Topic of the year.

I play all tanks, including Arty. I play arty a lot. Let me tell you why scouts are 99% WORTHLESS when they zoom to the other side of the map.

First of all, when you make your run, you may light up where the enemy is, but it's only for half a minute. The information is MEANINGLESS because everyone have moves on after your run. Secondly, you get everyone running around and it's impossible for arty to hit a moving target except for predictable circumstances. And third, you usually DIE. Arty can't see anything if you're DEAD.

And there's a fourth reason that makes you COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. Good arties know how to handle scouts. They'll start the game by going to places where you never expect to find them. They see you coming and run. I laugh my butt off watching you run for that special corner as you weave around looking for me and cackle when you die.

Sure, it may be a thrill and you may get a rush when you pick something off, but 99% of the time YOU PLAYED STUPID BECAUSE YOU ARE STUPID.

Want to know how to be a GOOD scout? Live! Stay alive! Wait for the RIGHT time to poke your nose out so arty can "see." You may be small and weak but if you can delay three tanks for two minutes, that is many times the key to winning a battle.

You can't control an individual and my post isn't going to change the thrillseekers from making their runs, but I can point out WHY YOU'RE AN IDIOT for playing that way.

uhateme #29 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 04:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 7973 battles

View PostMwokee, on Dec 10 2011 - 03:21, said:

First of all, when you make your run, you may light up where the enemy is, but it's only for half a minute.

If an arty player can't hit a single target in 30 secs its not the scouts fault then. Half a minute = 30 seconds, that's actually a nice bit of time. Most people stop moving to shoot a fast moving zipping around scout which makes getting a kill really early in the game easy for friendly artys. That 1 kill can make a difference, and if you can get 1-2 hits while the enemy is lighted up, so can the other arty. That would make about 3-6 hits and since arty does good damage yeah... if were presuming you have 3 arty on your team. You need to communicate with your scout and set up a bit quick, once he spots the enemy u take a few shots, he dies, then you carry on with the game. Good arties know how to handle scouts great? Maybe other people on your team don't, finding the enemy arty is a plus for a scout, just spotting the regular tanks is what they usually end up doing.

Also in this guide I'm trying to emphasize it may not be the best thing to do, and there are other options, each one being very situation based, suicide-scouting is not a complete waste if you can stay alive during it for long periods of time, or not even that but just long enough for your teammates to do damage, if it's arty doing the damage or not that doesn't matter as long as damage is being done with the help of a scout. The snipers on your team can take advantage of a scout rushing who actually knows how to survive long enough. 30 seconds can sometimes be enough.  

So maybe your scout didn't tell you they are gonna rush, or decided not to since they figured someone was gonna yell at them like you for doing so, when I play arty I pay attention to the mini-map and the number of LTs in the match. If I see a LT on my team heading towards the enemy I will re-position myself in order to potentially get a few hits. Maybe I'll only get 1 hit, oh well, arty aim can fail epicly at times. Maybe the scout got unlucky and didn't survive long? It happens. Maybe you guys were just awesome and didn't notice his effort?

View PostMwokee, on Dec 10 2011 - 03:21, said:

Want to know how to be a GOOD scout? Live! Stay alive!

And when did I say that wasn't important at all? I even put it in bold for the suicide-scouting section. Tells me you read this now doesn't it.  :Smile-bajan2:

Thanks for calling me worthless about 3 times, stupid and an idiot, maybe try being a bit more civil please and expressing your a opinion in a less aggravating way, thank you. Encase you didn't realize this guide isn't only about suicide-scouting, but other ways to scout besides that.

Mwokee #30 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 14:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 51972 battles
  • [BRIKS] BRIKS
You're still not getting it. It can take more than a minute for arty to get set up to begin with. And I already said when a STUPID scout is rushing through, those after the scout are on the run and it's nearly impossible to hit a moving target when players are moving in random patterns.

People who perpetuate these myths about the scout really do not understand proper strategy of the game. WOT is merely a video game to them. I can understand the thrill of dodging shells and the occasional score, but that's an individual ego thing. If you want to talk about SMART play and TEAMWORK, then you don't belong in the game.

2_minutes_hate #31 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 16:39

Captain

• Players
  • 10545 battles
  • [ADP] ADP
As a higher teir arty player I would like to add if you are going to use the hold and then scout technique, plz let arty know be fore you advance. Sometimes a scout will hang back and then rush the other teams base to light up arty. This is awesome tactic, however I have a 40sec reload time and its good to know when youre going to go so I have a shell loaded. Othere then that great tutorial

uhateme #32 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 16:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 7973 battles

View PostMwokee, on Dec 10 2011 - 14:54, said:

You're still not getting it. It can take more than a minute for arty to get set up to begin with. And I already said when a STUPID scout is rushing through, those after the scout are on the run and it's nearly impossible to hit a moving target when players are moving in random patterns.

People who perpetuate these myths about the scout really do not understand proper strategy of the game. WOT is merely a video game to them. I can understand the thrill of dodging shells and the occasional score, but that's an individual ego thing. If you want to talk about SMART play and TEAMWORK, then you don't belong in the game.

What I am understanding is that your more concerned about setting up in your nice spot instead of taking a chance, setting up near your base quickly, following the scout through arty mode, maybe get a few hits, then rushing to your favourite spot. All I am understanding is that there is an arty player who does not communicate and create teamwork with his scout. I also love how talking about teamwork means I don't belong in the game, usually it's the other way around. Also you may not be able to use the scout's advantage but other people may be able to, like any other tank with a good view range and an accurate gun, German mediums come to my mind when I say that. Yes a suicide-scout can die in a couple seconds, which is bad, I'm trying to emphasize not to do that, but to stay alive and distract the enemy while your team takes them out.

p.s I did not -1 you, and thanks for generating attention to my guide so more people could read it.  :Smile_honoring:

uhateme #33 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 16:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 7973 battles

View Postmrobershaw, on Dec 10 2011 - 16:39, said:

As a higher teir arty player I would like to add if you are going to use the hold and then scout technique, plz let arty know be fore you advance. Sometimes a scout will hang back and then rush the other teams base to light up arty. This is awesome tactic, however I have a 40sec reload time and its good to know when youre going to go so I have a shell loaded. Othere then that great tutorial

But then arty get the kills lol :) jks. Yeah I shall add that (eventually lol), what I usually do is ctrl click the spot on the minimap and press t on all the enemy arty so I can get the arty on my team to pay attention. Usually it works (I hope, or I think so).

Mwokee #34 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 17:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 51972 battles
  • [BRIKS] BRIKS

View Postuhateme, on Dec 10 2011 - 16:39, said:

What I am understanding is that your more concerned about setting up in your nice spot instead of taking a chance, setting up near your base quickly, following the scout through arty mode, maybe get a few hits, then rushing to your favourite spot. All I am understanding is that there is an arty player who does not communicate and create teamwork with his scout. I also love how talking about teamwork means I don't belong in the game, usually it's the other way around.

p.s I did not -1 you, and thanks for generating attention to my guide so more people could read it.  :Smile_honoring:

LOL. Of course you're not understanding. All you're about is rushing out to get the arty. It's NOT a smart play. However, you still have the need to justify playing stupid. If you think arty having just enough time to shoot out a shell and knock a heavy down to 74% is good strategy, then keep doing what you're doing.

Look for "Mwokee" as your arty; I will teach you things you will never have understood about the game. God, it's an arty dream to have a scout who listens to directions. Arty gets more kills and hits when the enemy DOESN'T KNOW when they've been spotted. Find me a scout who COMPREHENDS that.

If you're about winning battles then it's all about TEAMWORK; if not, then you're running solo and merely playing a point-and-shoot video game.

MacGG #35 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 18:33

Captain

• Players
  • 18482 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostMwokee, on Dec 10 2011 - 17:59, said:

LOL. Of course you're not understanding. All you're about is rushing out to get the arty. It's NOT a smart play. However, you still have the need to justify playing stupid. If you think arty having just enough time to shoot out a shell and knock a heavy down to 74% is good strategy, then keep doing what you're doing.

Look for "Mwokee" as your arty; I will teach you things you will never have understood about the game. God, it's an arty dream to have a scout who listens to directions. Arty gets more kills and hits when the enemy DOESN'T KNOW when they've been spotted. Find me a scout who COMPREHENDS that.

If you're about winning battles then it's all about TEAMWORK; if not, then you're running solo and merely playing a point-and-shoot video game.

1. If you're going to criticize, at least make it constructive. All you've done is come in here and say "LOL YOUS SCOUTS R STOOPID!! LOL DONT RUSH BASE!" This is a guide to help people learn to scout, and nowhere in the guide does he suggest getting yourself killed.

2. You need to teach yourself how to play first before you extol your ability to teach others. Sub 50% win rates in arty is bad. It's the easiest class to have a high win rate in because you can so directly decide the outcome. Taking out the right tanks at the right time leads to at least an easy 55% win rate.

3. From what I've seen, you've displayed very poor teamwork. Trying to tear down a guide that you didn't read or fully comprehend is the antithesis of teamwork. If you want to be a good teammate you need to be more supportive and less petty. Stop attacking the guide, and instead try to add to it and refine it.

Mwokee #36 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 19:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 51972 battles
  • [BRIKS] BRIKS

View Postmacg1991, on Dec 10 2011 - 18:33, said:

1. If you're going to criticize, at least make it constructive. All you've done is come in here and say "LOL YOUS SCOUTS R STOOPID!! LOL DONT RUSH BASE!" This is a guide to help people learn to scout, and nowhere in the guide does he suggest getting yourself killed.

2. You need to teach yourself how to play first before you extol your ability to teach others. Sub 50% win rates in arty is bad. It's the easiest class to have a high win rate in because you can so directly decide the outcome. Taking out the right tanks at the right time leads to at least an easy 55% win rate.

3. From what I've seen, you've displayed very poor teamwork. Trying to tear down a guide that you didn't read or fully comprehend is the antithesis of teamwork. If you want to be a good teammate you need to be more supportive and less petty. Stop attacking the guide, and instead try to add to it and refine it.

I've already offered a few tidbits of advanced strategy but it's obviously a waste of time offering new ideas to people who will remain adamant the earth is flat.

Go back and re-read this thread. The OP's main argument is "you light up the board" and offer arty some targets. Have YOU yourself played arty enough to master the strategy? I've already said the rush-em-in scouts only provide you enough time to maybe get one hit in. If you and anyone else think that's good strategy, then by all means perpetuate the earth-is-flat theories.

It's plain simple fact: It's a free game where anyone can play and that's great. It also means there are a lot of bad players who follow the lead of other bad players and never actually figure out how to be a good player. These one-dimensional players are, unfortunately, part of the game.

As for YOU, Mac, don't be so quick to make assumptions from my stats. I have not purchased gold other than to buy more tank slots. I've been working my way up the hard way, STOCK tanks against wallet warriors and higher tiered tanks. Take away the first 30% of games where I was learning the game and getting killed in little pea-shooters, and you will have a different picture. Any idiot can BUY a tank... and still be an idiot.

SapphireFox #37 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 19:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5626 battles

View PostMwokee, on Dec 10 2011 - 19:00, said:

I've already offered a few tidbits of advanced strategy but it's obviously a waste of time offering new ideas to people who will remain adamant the earth is flat.

Go back and re-read this thread. The OP's main argument is "you light up the board" and offer arty some targets. Have YOU yourself played arty enough to master the strategy? I've already said the rush-em-in scouts only provide you enough time to maybe get one hit in. If you and anyone else think that's good strategy, then by all means perpetuate the earth-is-flat theories.

It's plain simple fact: It's a free game where anyone can play and that's great. It also means there are a lot of bad players who follow the lead of other bad players and never actually figure out how to be a good player. These one-dimensional players are, unfortunately, part of the game.

As for YOU, Mac, don't be so quick to make assumptions from my stats. I have not purchased gold other than to buy more tank slots. I've been working my way up the hard way, STOCK tanks against wallet warriors and higher tiered tanks. Take away the first 30% of games where I was learning the game and getting killed in little pea-shooters, and you will have a different picture. Any idiot can BUY a tank... and still be an idiot.
So not only are you an anti-scout individual you are welfare warrior whiner. Wonderful you seem to have hit most of my WoT pet peeves, congratulations.

First off the OP is advocating scouting in methods other than the suicide rush and working with the arty. Secondly scouting is not just to support arty but the rest of the team as well. They need to know where the enemy team is positioning their forces and the disposition of said forces.

Now speaking as both an arty player and a scout player I understand how the relationship between scouts and arty works better than you. I can tell you with absolute confidence that the OP is quality and worthwhile reading for scout strategy. Now anyone with a brain knows good communication between any of the units in question is important, that is a given and really does not nor should it really need mentioning beyond a few notes in the text.  

I have read your posts and seen your records so quite frankly I am quite certain that you have not really read the OP properly nor do you seem to understand what the information he is giving out.

Whiskey_dod #38 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 21:09

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 25763 battles
Scouts are SO MUCH MORE than just eyes for arty. They can be diversions, dog-fighters, and key players when base is getting pounded. OP has in bold letters that the key to scouting is living as long as possible and lighting up a lot of targets. If you can figure out where they are going, then the rest of the team will know how to spread themselves out to counter the enemy. In addition: when they see a light tank running like that, what do you think they are going to do? That's right.... they are gonna try and hit the scout. If they are sitting still trying to hit the scout, that means that they are not rushing up. If they are not rushing up, that means that they will not be able to get into good positions in time. This will put them at a disadvantage, and they will have to play catch-up the rest of the game. Scouts can also play the passive game, and be the eyes that guide the a**-kicking they never saw coming.

This is exactly what this thread is telling lights to do.

Your probably thinking "Why the f*** is this guy talking like he knows everything?"
Well... I don't know everything, but I know a lot of things about scouting, A LOT OF THINGS. I do not claim to be the best, but I can claim that I am damn good at what I do. Every single technique in this guide can work, and does work on a regular basis. This is the kind of scouting that people need to practice if they want to use lights in CW.

uhateme #39 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 21:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 7973 battles
Hmm I didn't put in too much time trying to argue with him so my posts weren't the best at explaining, but everyone else seems to have pitched in to help me out, thanks :). Was sort of in a rush this morning and didn't really have the time to write anything longer than I did. :P

If anyone has any valid suggestions I'm open to them.

KiwiMark67 #40 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 21:27

Major

• Players
  • 58649 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL
Last night I played my T-50-2, the map was Malinovka.  We only had 1 arty and we got a defeat but that arty was the 2nd to last to die and he got 6 kills - my T-50-2 was the last to die!  I only got 1 kill, but I'm pretty sure that I was a big part of why the arty on our side got his 6 kills.  Unfortunately we didn't win and unfortunately our arty didn't get awarded 'Top Gun' - but you do your best and you try again in the next battle.
When I went through my T-50 I was almost always dead within 2 minutes and only occasionally got a good run and killed their arty, but now I'm trying to see if I can survive more battles and be more of a help to my team.

I sold my M5 Stuart and bought a Chaffee and set it up with vents, coated optics & binocs - 460m view range with the upgraded turret makes this a hell of a good spotter!
I'm just waiting for the battle where the opposite team accuse my team of hacking - then I will know that my scouting is truly awesome!

My Leopard only needs 10k more to become elite and then I can try out a VK 2801 as a 'super scout'.  I'm working hard on getting the crew set up for optimum scouting ability - the commander & driver are now on 94% & 95% for their camo skill because I use them in my Hotchkiss every day, the other 2 crew are on 69% camo.

My equipment loadout for my scouts (T-50-2, M5 Stuart, Chaffee, Leapard and soon VK 2801) is the same:
Coated Optics - I consider this to be the BEST option for any scout and they really to help a lot.
Vents - They also improve the sight range by adding 5% to the commander skill as well as adding 5.5% more to the driver's skill which is always useful.
Binoculars - When I stop in cover and wait a few seconds it is amazing how often the red dots start appearing on the mini-map.

For anyone doing the math on a Chaffee's sight range (460m x 1.1 = 506m) and thinking that binocs aren't going to do anything because you are already at the limit of the game mechanics - I can assure you that you CAN spot further with binocs while stationary!  The view range isn't the same as spotting range and I HAVE pierced the camo of an enemy scout that was stationary in a bush thanks to binocs activating!

The Chaffee is the tank that gave me the most problem - it can take a vertical stabiliser!  I was tempted to go with a rammer & vert stab because its best gun is really good.  But it is still a light tank and will still die VERY quickly when fired upon during a high tier battle.  So I hold my fire 99% of the time to maintain invisibility, only firing once already detected or when I'm about to relocate anyway and think I can get away with killing another tank - or killing an enemy scout of course!  Even with my standard equipment (vent, optics, binocs) the Chaffee has a GREAT gun and excellent RoF which makes it useful when it needs to shoot, this is something I miss when I'm running the Leopard.

Generally on maps that let me use stealth and remain undetected while lighting up the enemy I don't fire my gun at all - preferring to not have people shooting back at me.  Watching friendly fire rip the enemy to shreds is pretty satisfying to me anyway.  But I do like a gun good enough to kill an enemy scout or arty and able to disrupt the capture of our base - sometimes you are in a situation where you need to pitch in and do some shooting yourself.
There are also those rare times that you are on the top tier and everyone is in a light or medium tank - then it is a normal battle instead of you spotting for your team-mates.

What I hate:
Maps with no cover and scouting is of VERY limited value, like Himmelsdorf.
When you are lighting up targets and no one is shooting them especially when you are keeping those targets lit up for minutes.
When I get spotted early and splatted straight away - then I'm no use to my team and know I have failed (*shrug* shit happens).
When I find myself duelling with an enemy scout and he gets the best of me or his team-mate fires and hits me.

What I love:
When I am on a map like Camp Malinovka where I can use my view range & camo skill to make a BIG difference in the battle.
When my team wins and I have been very helpful.
When I survive to the end with a victory.
When I remain undetected for the entire battle.
When I light up enemy units and watch the friendly shells flying in and destroying them.

What I would like to see:
XP & Credits earned for generating 'scouting points' which are generated by keeping targets lit up.  Maybe completely replacing the first detect points with these scouting points.  These points being something like 1 point per target lit up per second and if 2 tanks are both detecting 1 enemy then the scouting points would be divided between them.  The Scout award going to the player with the highest amount of scouting points + a minimum amount of scouting points + a team victory.  I don't care if the points are called 'scouting points' or 'spotting points' or 'detecting points', I just would love to see the change so that suicide scouting is discouraged and being useful to your team is encouraged.  Even as a medium or heavy tank I've lit up targets and held fire so that my arty can get the kill - I think that MORE xp and credits are deserved for providing that service to your team!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users