KV-1S Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

Poll: KV-1S Guide (20 members have cast votes)

Did you find this guide helpful?

1. Yes (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. Somewhat (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. No (1 vote [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Hide poll

Brawl987 #1 Posted Nov 23 2011 - 19:24

Captain

• Players
  • 5603 battles
So I've had my KV-1S for about a two weeks now. Despite all the negative reviews on it, I really quite enjoyed it. Granted, every tank has its flaws, and this is no exception. But, let's start out with the good stuff, shall we?

First off, this tank is a medium/heavy. It doesn't play like a medium, but not really like a heavy, either. It's somewhere in between, but I've noticed that if I play it like a tough medium, it works. Considering it's a heavy, this thing is pretty quick. Of course, it's no T-50, but it can reach speeds of around 35 km/h easily. If you're on asphalt and have a decent amount of space in which to gather your speed, you can get up to about 40 km/h, which is pretty fast. Also, it can turn adequately. Of course, no really sharp turns, and it will slow down. Now that I have the maneuverability covered, time to talk about the gun.

Stock, your guns will do next to nothing to anything you meet, excepting light tanks and lower tier mediums. Other than that, your guns are simply too inadequate to significantly damage any heavy. Until you can mount a better gun, use the 86mm S-54. It's fast rate of fire make up for its lack of significant damage. The 85mm D-5T is okay. It fires fast enough for combat, but doesn't possess the penetration to fight anything big. Play this tank as a support tank. Stay with other heavies or higher-tier mediums. Keep their targets tracked to the best of your ability and let them do the rest. Once you get the 122mm D-2-5T, this tank truly becomes a threat. This gun does take a while to reload, so a Rammer is strongly recommended. While this gun takes a while to reload, it hits hard. It's accuracy take a while to get used to. You can miss your target at less than 75 meters away. Don't even bother shooting at anything past 400 meters. Your chances of hitting it are quite slim.

Time to talk about armor. Firstly, once you are fully upgraded, you are pretty much immune to any light tank you will ever see. They CAN damage you, but a VK2801 with the 10.5cm derp gun is your biggest threat. The rest will only peel away at your health. The upgraded turret has 100mm of armor all the way around, which really comes in handy. Your foe may try to shoot the back of your turret thinking he won't have to penetrate as much armor, but in your case, it isn't rue. The only difference in armor between the front and the back of the turret is slope. Any medium below Tier 6 will bounce your turret, unless they are using HE rounds. Your hull armor is less than impressive, though. 75/60/60 may not sound like so little, but speaking from pure experience, nearly everything you meet can penetrate your hull armor. However, you do have a bit of slope, but it isn't much.

The KV-1S is a tank you underestimate at your own peril. When you get match with higher tiers, switch to HE rounds. You can do quite some damage.

And for all you readers who want is concise, here you are. Please not that this is for the fully upgraded KV-1S.
Good
100/100/100mm of turret armor
Fast(ish)
Decent turning speed
Great gun
Decent survivability
Great preparation for the IS

Bad
Poor view range
Big target
Big chance of fire(I am aware that is says 15%, this is a lie)
Low accuracy

Now we come to Consumables and Equipment. Usually I bring a Repair Kit and First Aid Kit. The good oil simply doesn't have a good enough effect for its price, and a fire extinguisher is pointless. You will simply be set on fire again the next shot (this has happened to me countless times) and this is always the death of you, even with the fire extinguisher. As for equipment, this is up to you. A Rammer is absolutely required. Other than that, I survived without anything else.

Keep in mind, this tank takes some getting used to, but once you do, the KV-1S becomes something to be reckoned with.

Whee #2 Posted Nov 23 2011 - 19:33

Major

• Players
  • 21527 battles
I'm just curious. Is the KV-1S similar to the IS? What tips can you give me when I obtain my IS and play it?

BTW, good post +1

Brawl987 #3 Posted Nov 23 2011 - 19:37

Captain

• Players
  • 5603 battles

I'm just curious. Is the KV-1S similar to the IS? What tips can you give me when I obtain my IS and play it?

I do not know at the moment. I haven't taken my IS out very much yet. What I DO know is that the IS mounts two (may be more, but I know two for sure) guns that the KV-1S does. I'll let you know in an edit.

Tiger_23 #4 Posted Nov 23 2011 - 19:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8631 battles
  • [1_BCB] 1_BCB

View PostBrawl987, on Nov 23 2011 - 19:24, said:

So I've had my KV-1S for about a two weeks now. Despite all the negative reviews on it, I really quite

Yep Total Lie! have 30% or more..lol

but nice post +1! :)

LordYinYang #5 Posted Nov 24 2011 - 22:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15973 battles
  • [ML] ML
Ah, the KV-1S, one of favorite tanks to drive, I've sold it temporarily to get into the German heavy trees.

This tank comes with mobility and a powerful gun, quite a deadly combo.  I originally got the KV-3 thinking, "Well I can either get the KV-3, with better armor, a better turret (coming from the KV-2's turret with all the luxury that is needed) and can carry my favorite 107 gun, or I can get this tank that moves 13 kph faster and has weaker armor...  I'll just go with the KV-3."  As I started to get into Medium tanks, the KV-2 and KV-3 got a bit too slow for my tastes.  I gave the KV-1S a try, I had plenty of exp from the KV after all.  I already had the upgraded engine, and unlocked the 122mm D-2-5T from the KV-3.  So I just needed the tracks, the turret, and I might as well get the 85mm D-5T.  I believe that Derp guns aren't really suited for agile tanks (that is right, I played tanks like the M4 with the 75/76 guns), so I used the 76 S-54, though not as relevant it still is effective.  When I finally got everything unlocked (other then the KV-13 and the IS) I started to enjoy this tank.  Though if you really want to make money (well without premium anyway) you need to be an extremely conservative shooter, only shoot when you know your shot will hit, and only shoot tanks you can penetrate, if you can't find another target, or switch to HE and hope for the best.

This tank does get set on fire quite a bit, though it isn't an engine fire, it is coming from the fuel tanks.  To stop those types of fires, CO2 fuel tanks are the best bet.  The 122mm D-2-5-T has a reload time of about 15 seconds, as Brawl says, the Rammer does help out quite a bit.  Finally some liner, mainly for ramming, it could be a viable option when  your waiting for the reload.

Having the consumables listed will suffice, maybe adding the Remove speed governor could improve acceleration, but keep in mind, the damage to the engine.  

Remember, your armor isn't sufficient, rely on other forms of protection.

Rincer #6 Posted Nov 24 2011 - 22:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8471 battles

View PostWhee, on Nov 23 2011 - 19:33, said:

BTW, good post +1

Yeah, very similar. Its like IS's smaller brother.

Lunaris #7 Posted Nov 24 2011 - 22:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8216 battles

Fire can be caused by engine damage and a hole in fuel tank. Soviet diesel engine is harder to caught fire but if you use speed governor remover you increase the risk. Starting now I only use speed remover on arty since you get hit you are doomed anyway, unlike heavy whose job is taking damage.

eyup1998 #8 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 00:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4256 battles
I've noticed that many people look down at certain tanks, but lately people have been sticking up and saying that "its not bad, just needs getting used to."

you are one of them, good job. ;)