How to play as Vk3601H

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

TheOldGuardian #1 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 04:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12710 battles
  • [PVP-6] PVP-6
So I've had the VK3601H for sometime now (using it to grind for the Tiger, obviously) and quite honestly, I haven't figured it out yet. It's a medium tank but even with the 2nd best engine it still can't perform at the same level as my old Panzer III/IV, almost all of it's guns are inadequate for what they're supposed to do (they either have big damage and little penetration or vice versa), despite it's fairly large heath (almost the same as a KV-3) it's armor is -give or take in battles I usually end up in- thin, with the 88mm gun I have an excellent sniping vehicle but can't penetrate for jack. WAT AM I DOING WRONG IN THIS PIKTUR?!

Grampy #2 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 04:28

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 16979 battles
  • [CS7-E] CS7-E
You are not doing anything wrong. You are discovering the reason why I sold mine.

Hindric #3 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 04:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4506 battles
Nope, sounds like you are experiencing what I'm experiencing right now as well. Get the best engine for it, it's a step up compared to the previous as you can reach the max speed pretty quickly. The 88mm packs a punch compared to your previous guns but the penetration for tier 7+ fights are iffy, /gg against kv-3 frontally. Do everything you can to take a shot at their flank safely. It helps to know weak spots in the front of the tank but through trial and error you'll do fine.

Best of luck, I'm 30k exp away from the Tiger myself.

TheOldGuardian #4 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 04:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12710 battles
  • [PVP-6] PVP-6
Well then how did you get the Tiger II? you went through the Tiger (P) I assume?

DarkElf #5 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 06:37

Captain

• Players
  • 9524 battles
Vk3601[h] + short 88 is the best tank ever for me, i even have 63% win rate with it, far above my average win rate 49%. The gun is good enough for the job, but don't snipe with it. Use this tank as flanker, follow other heavy in your team and act as their support, if possible flank your enemy heavy when they are busy with your team mate heavy. This tank have enough speed + good enough alpha + good enough armor to bounce some shot (with angle) + good hp.

Don't forget, be careful with Type 59, that is the most dangerous medium that you often face.

TheOldGuardian #6 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 06:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12710 battles
  • [PVP-6] PVP-6
wait, don't you mean the 105mm gun? because there's only that long barreled 88mm gun there that doesn't do jack.

DarkElf #7 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 10:52

Captain

• Players
  • 9524 battles

View PostTheOldGuardian, on Nov 26 2011 - 06:56, said:

wait, don't you mean the 105mm gun? because there's only that long barreled 88mm gun there that doesn't do jack.

88L56 of course, it can pen almost any tank you face, but not always frontally, that's why follow other heavy.

Sirus_Patton #8 Posted Nov 26 2011 - 14:04

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 5185 battles
  • [ACID] ACID

View PostTheOldGuardian, on Nov 26 2011 - 06:56, said:

The 88L56 is often refereed to as the "Short 88", whereas the 88L71 is refereed to as the "Long 88".

UncleHotte69 #9 Posted Nov 28 2011 - 16:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16860 battles
  • [LOTT] LOTT
For the VK3601 the environment he is in decides how to play it. This accounts for most of the tanks but I think especially for the Vk3601. What I mean.....if you are high on the list you actually can engage and brawl in close fighting. And if you are middle to low on the list your gun is still good enough to hit the higher tanks hard when you stay behind and play sniper :Smile-playing:

ajaxdkl #10 Posted Nov 28 2011 - 20:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 14431 battles
  • [DKL-] DKL-
i think the 3601 is one of the best tanks in the game 4 its tier.   i have 735 games played with it with 50, 47, 42% v/d/bs and 527 kills, 57% hit ratio and use the short 88.  
its not what u shoot its where u shoot it.  every tank has its weak spots....if u don't hit them u won't do jack.  now i'm not saying my record with it is fantastic but it ain't bad either.  if you play it right u can do very well with it and make decent credits.  Also never go 1 on 1 unless you are at least a tier above your opponent ... why get beat up to get the kill, just plink away at him till u have superior numbers or wear him/her down.  play smart and u can do very well with it

Elmorn #11 Posted Nov 30 2011 - 09:54

Private

• Players
  • 3151 battles
I don't know, for me when I went from my PzIV with the 75/100 to Vk3601, it just doesn't seem to excel in any one thing. Some games it's awesome, but it only happens when the other guys are too busy to bother with you. With my pzIV I knew exactly what to do, had a camo net and with that sweet 7.5/100 I could penetrate anything I had to fight from far enough way that most enemies didn't know what it them.

Now though, the short 88 doesn't seem accurate enoug for a sniper gun, and like others have said considering the enemies you go against with it, most of the time you'll be lucky to do anything even if you do hit. So yeah, I honestly do to understand why this tank has such a good rep, the way it is, it is totally different from all your previous tanks if you came up the PzIV line, and your success completely depends on the other team being too busy to bother with you.

RobertK #12 Posted Nov 30 2011 - 16:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38600 battles
  • [REL_2] REL_2
The VK 3601H is the quintessential mid-tier medium. You have to remember what you are. The Pz IV is definitely a sniper. I've seen it used to provide passive support through sniper fire. As such, you are kind of a lone wolf: you can do well by staying back by yourself and watching for targets. The role of the 3601 is different than that.

The VK 3601(H) has a role as an active support tank. The 3601 has enough armor and hit points to brawl a little bit, but it's main role is to support and flank. The short 8,8cm gun will penetrate practically anything on the side and rear and many things frontally as long as you are at around 100m range or less. So, find a "buddy" that isn't weaker than you. Move in together. When battle is joined, position yourself near cover so that you get enfilading fire on the enemy position. You have the speed to get there (although there are faster tanks). You have the survivability to stay there. And you have the firepower to make a big difference while you're there.

Get this tank elited with a fully trained crew and you can do very well. My friend and I routinely platoon, he in his KV and I in my 3601. It is a great combination. The alpha damage of the KV paired with flexibility of the 3601 is tough to beat. The key, as with many tanks, is to realize the opportune moment to make the biggest difference in the fight.

In short, start engaging at a range of about 200m from the side. Close the range slowly in support of your "buddy" while continuing to provide fire support. Brawl only to finish off opponents or to cause a breakthrough that compromises the enemy's defense. At short ranges, the 88 will go through most things you face without trouble.

Bob

Gmer_freak #13 Posted Nov 30 2011 - 23:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4500 battles
  • [PLOT] PLOT
I love this tank more than any tank I've played.  :Smile-izmena:  The Pz III/IV was nice and fast, but the gun wasn't to great.  With the 88 I can 1 or 2 shot tons of tanks.  The accuracy is also great.  (killed an artillery piece from across the map of El Halluf with 1 shot)  

Also if you were coming from the PzIV, this tank is also a great improvement.  The vader turret on the PzIV might have a lot of armor, but most of the time if you aren't in a hull down position you will get nailed badly in the hull before you can dish out the damage.  Took a PzIV down from 100% to 20% with a shot from the Vk's 88 before he could shoot me.)  I bet he was pissed.

This tank is amazing once it's got the best equipment researched.

del1000121032 #14 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 02:19

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2342 battles
To reiterate what a few have already said very well, the VK3601(H) generally should be played like a support tank. I like to think of my play style with the 3601 as a 'safety'. This means I typically hang back just behind the front lines and look for opportunities to harass and flank. I never 'focus' a target unless I think I can take it down in just a couple shots, and I especially don't take more than one shot if I know other enemy can hit me after I light up.

After I pick a side to play (I rarely take mid), I will jet to the front lines and take a position behind cover. I like positions with access to terrain I can instantly duck behind, or a solid obstruction to hide behind. Then I wait for the heavies to catch up, and until they do, I play passive scout. Once targets start to appear, and the heavies have moved out past me, I choose the best target depending on their threat and my ability to pen (ie, give the choice between a StuG and a frontal KV-3, I'd shoot the StuG...if it was a rear shot on the KV-3 I'd take that instead). Once I take my shot, I instantly move behind solid cover or duck down into terrain cover (behind a hill or into a low spot). If I know the targets can't see me, (ie, a scout has lit them up and I'm beyond their view range), I might take another shot or two.

At this point I start maneuvering. When I play 3601, I'm constantly moving and seeking better positioning. The key to winning any game is maneuvering and finding yourself in a good position and this is especially true with a maneuverable tank like the 3601. I like to keep an eye on the map, and constantly hit Alt and Tab to keep track of how the battle is progressing and who is where. After the initial salvo I start looking for opportunities to plug holes, catch scouts to protect arty, etc. A nice thing about the 3601H is it's ability to be aggressive if necessary. I'm not afraid at all to bum rush a King Tiger or IS-3 to try to get a round into their rear, because I know I can take a hit. I've got enough speed to get myself back into cover after I take a hit.

Also, don't be afraid to run like a chicken. If I'm with a stupid pug team that completely forgets a flank, I'll do my best to keep an eye on it (after pinging and yelling), but if I'm outmatched I run for cover. Sometimes you can recover from a mistake like that, but only if you don't waste your tank. The 220 avg damage a 3601 can do shouldn't be dismissed, so preserve yourself to peck away from behind cover as they advance on your flag (oh yeah, and I always use the 88). If you can keep them busy at your flag that might give your stupid team a chance to cap.

How to play a 3601? Maneuver, maneuver, maneuver. Oh, and one last thing: get into the habit of checking the map every 5 seconds, and especially when you're zoomed in on a target. This will help you quickly decided when to rush to get a flanking shot, prevent you from getting tunnel vision, and save your butt if you're about to get flanked.

Kilpanic #15 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 11:39

Major

• Players
  • 23282 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
--

Brutalus_Maximus #16 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 14:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8269 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostKilpanic, on Dec 05 2011 - 11:39, said:

7.5cm KwK 41 L/58 Konisch. Half price gold ammo sale.

Imma just leave this here.

(the 8.8cm is a perfectly good gun on the 3601, but I think every 3601 driver deserves to play just a couple of games with the conical and some gold rounds. Just to feel like what it's like to be king for a day).

I use gold ammo for that "first win of the day double".  The only gold ammo I use.  Started to do that after I heard the gun is getting nerfed.  Get that fun in while you can.

bone1977 #17 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 15:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 3778 battles

View PostBrutalus_Maximus, on Dec 05 2011 - 14:33, said:

I use gold ammo for that "first win of the day double".  The only gold ammo I use.  Started to do that after I heard the gun is getting nerfed.  Get that fun in while you can.

Do the same myself. It's a shame the standard ammo is so bad for this gun. It is a hoot to play. I had a guy in a Lowe accuse me of hacking after what I did to him :)

I love my 3601. It is my most used tank and I am keeping it even as I move into T8 in other lines. It is just a fun tank to play, makes good money, and is just solid in the hands of a good driver. I have elite + %100 and am working on my secondaries for my crew. Winning record, %70 hit rate, and always a threat to the opposing team. If they made better ammo for the konisch, this tank would be a "run and gun" tank which I would love.

Hihibob #18 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 21:55

Captain

• Players
  • 3476 battles
I'm having problems in it too. Worst tier 6 tank I've ever played.  <_<

conman5525 #19 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 23:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15487 battles

View PostHihibob, on Dec 05 2011 - 21:55, said:

I'm having problems in it too. Worst tier 6 tank I've ever played.  <_<

So far, it is the only tier 6 tank i have played. Think of it as a Tiger Cub. A reasonable support tank. It can brawl a bit, really needs the bigger engines to be a fire fighter. Most useful for supporting the heavies and keeping the pesky lights off their butts.

Chaosticket #20 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 01:30

Captain

• Players
  • 20215 battles
I started a thread about this and got burned.

The VK 36 has solid speed, with an 80+ crew it doesnt really need engine. Its turning is a problem, but I dont use engine, so maybe its alot faster.
------------------
The problem is simple. the Vk 36 doesnt have the penetration you need. The 135 pen guns it has wouldve been great at tier 4, pretty good at tier 5, weak at tier 6, and a spitball against tier 7+.

its a confusing tank as its not really fast or strong, which is especially a problem against higher tiers. If you were fast you could dodge shots and flank, if you were strong you could penetrate them with your gun.

Oh and the slow second turret and high repair bills hurt.

If you are great with the VK 36, more power to you.