How Do You Succeed In A T-46?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

brian333 #1 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Several days ago I got into my new elited T-46 with all modules upgraded and the 76mm gun mounted. I also use tools, cammo net, and binoculars.

In the very minority of battles where I'm in the top third of the list I seem to do okay. But 9 out of 10 matches see my tank at the bottom of the list, so there are always KV's and Panzer IV's along with a host of other baddies which bounce my 76 mm most of the time, and since the armor on the T-46 is thinner than the armor on an MS-1, pretty much anything one-shots or at least crits me. In most matches I am the first tank on my team to die.

From my experience in the MS-1 and T-26, I have learned to play a support role. Hide, follow a good tank, and shoot what's shooting him. But TD's and arty seem to single me out for the easy kill, even though I'm missing 2 out of 3 shots and the ones which do hit are usually bouncing or doing minimal damage. Also I'm spotted where I know there are no enemy tanks to spot me. I've had KV's shoot me from ranges where even my teammates in front of me can't spot them. I've had tanks drive through a line of my teammates to rush up to ram me!

Today I went from the 76mm to the 45mm because the penetration and accuracy is slightly better even though the damage sucks. I'm just not a very good shooter, (in the 30%-50% range,) but when I actually hit with the new gun the damage inflicted is almost irrelevant.

I want to learn to be effective in this tank. I know it's not the tank, it's me, so I come here hoping for advice from players who have had success in their T-46.

Moved to Soviet light tanks.
  |Sadukar09|

120mm_he #2 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:32

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Are you using he in your 76mm?

The ap rounds are ass for doing anything to even the same tier tanks let alone anything higher.

brian333 #3 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have tried HE, but as I so seldom get off more than one shot, I'm unsure if my few hits with it did anything at all.

In one memorable match, a KV walked into our base in Campinovka and started shooting arty. I hit him with ten HE shots aimed directly at his flank and only got one message saying I had damaged his tracks. All of my AP rounds bounced. I was following him about ten feet away, firing every reload, and he just ignored me. Some tank I never saw shot me eventually, and I was credited with 0 hits and 0 damage on the end-of-battle pop-up.

Lazyhound #4 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'd run the 46mm gun for the extra pen and dramatically better accuracy, at the cost of a bit of DPS.

EDIT: Whoops, the VT-42 is actually a 45mm gun, there's a typo on WoTDB.

Spectre12078 #5 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:46

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
the small,46mm? its a sniper tank,use it to track high tier tanks or harrass them if derp,use only HE

wcompumike #6 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Try this thread, it helped me through the T-46 very nicely:
http://forum.worldof...ccess-the-t-46/

Starcraftblood #7 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
T46 is only a transitional tank, it's not really necessary to invest much time on it. Personally, I would just get the 45mm VT, save up exp and go straight to T28 (another level of fun and misery). Since you already got the 76mm, you can use it with HE. Every hit counts and would help you toward faster grinding.

If unable to afford T28 is your problem, I would suggest to use other tanks to grind the credits. ex: Mardar 2. I actually got a stug before KV, or the grinding will take forever.

Lazyhound #8 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFryingNemo, on Dec 02 2011 - 08:48, said:

T46 is only a transitional tank, it's not really necessary to invest much time on it.
He has 1890 battles in the MS-1 and 743 in the T-26, so if the pattern holds he'll be spending plenty of time in it, regardless of necessity.

e: Doing the math, he must have >700000 free xp sitting on his account.

brian333 #9 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFryingNemo, on Dec 02 2011 - 08:48, said:

T46 is only a transitional tank, it's not really necessary to invest much time on it. Personally, I would just get the 45mm VT, save up exp and go straight to T28 (another level of fun and misery). Since you already got the 76mm, you can use it with HE. Every hit counts and would help you toward faster grinding.

If unable to afford T28 is your problem, I would suggest to use other tanks to grind the credits. ex: Mardar 2. I actually got a stug before KV, or the grinding will take forever.

Credits aren't an issue. Even in matches where I do no damage and get multiple crits I make credits. I guess I'm leeching from my team.

I already have a T-28(elited) and a KV (not elited) in my garage, but have not driven them. My current focus is on the T-46.

Starcraftblood #10 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 08:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLazyhound, on Dec 02 2011 - 08:55, said:

He has 1890 battles in the MS-1 and 743 in the T-26, so if the pattern holds he'll be spending plenty of time in it, regardless of necessity.

e: Doing math, he must have >700000 free xp sitting on his account.

I would expect someone to be very skillful after 2000+ games. He must be very humble to seek help for improving even more. Respect :Smile_honoring:

Gyarados #11 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 09:04

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles
You get into the T-28!

HIYOO!

brian333 #12 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 09:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postwcompumike, on Dec 02 2011 - 08:47, said:

Try this thread, it helped me through the T-46 very nicely:
http://forum.worldof...ccess-the-t-46/

Thanks for the link! I will begin practicing these tips now!

bdplaya #13 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 15:37

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
selling it?

tzarmarko #14 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 16:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
1 word, 76mm...

wildcat18 #15 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 16:42

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just my thoughts but....I would lose the camo net and binocs and put rammer and vent on unless you plan on doing alot of sniping from behind bushes or cover. If you play the T-46 as a flanking tank the camo net and binocs are a waste of 2 slots.

ComeAndSee #16 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 16:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I love the T-46. It's my favorite Tier 3 tank! To really "win" with the T-46 you need the following scenarios: only fighting tier 2-4 tanks and most of the time an urban map.

You need to play aggressive, use your speed and mobility to your advantage, and get close to blast people with your 76mm cannon. If you try and stand off and snipe you will usually get pounded most of the time.

I get good kill streaks with this tank. Usually 3-5 a game, my best was 10.

Nine3 #17 Posted Dec 02 2011 - 16:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I love my T46. Ive got a T54 and IS7 but I still play my T46 every night.

If im middle or better in the list I start as support/sniper and then play more like an aggresive medium when about 5ish people are dead on the other team. Hopefully get a chance to speed behind them and rampage through the enemy base and kill their arty.

If im middle or lower in the list I play as a spotter/scout (NOT suicide scout). I rarely play support since the enemy will always take the chance to one-shot you. When you play spotter/scout use the camo net and binocs and find a nice spot and sit still. Dont move or shoot. After a while when everyone engages you will start getting some chances for rear and side shots on people and I will start popping in and out of cover to take those.

Dirizon #18 Posted Dec 03 2011 - 17:54

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
189O games in MS1 and T26. Must have been a blast.
Brian, you should be getting better with the T46. Recent patches have upgraded the Tiering of T3 lights, at the cost of increased game wait logs. T46 can expect to be placed in many more T4 matches, instead of the dreaded T5s.
As for the performance of the tank itself, if you are using stuff like camo net and binoculars, use the VT42. Damage is poor, but its penetration is remarkable and so is accuracy. This is probably the only viable Tier 3 tank gun which can hit through Hetzer frontal armour. Its rate of fire is also high. Never equip HE, not worth it. If you are using stuff like improved vents, Toolkit, and a rammer - and like streetfights.....Use the L1O. L1O also hits Tier 3s the hardest if you get a match at the top. L1Os AP round can be useful, 66Pen is not bad in Tier 3 even in T4 - but HE will usually penetrate the lower vehicles and does much more damage. Use around a 75-25 or 7O-3O HE/AP split.
With the VT42, you have to be a sniper really. 0r a break through vehicle looking to pick on TDs/artillery. T46 turns and scoots well enough, look to trap before destroying. Remember, you do not take hits well. With the L1O, bring your fighting to the brutal streets. You do high damage, reverse and accelerate quick, and ranges are usually short. Ammunition is cheap, abundant - so just fire. Do not get caught up aiming too much. Actually, in street fights, where hits and damage are guaranteed both ways - T46 actually turns out to be a decent brawler. Although no armour, it has 25O life. 25O puts it at the top of tier 3, not using premiums. 25O life beats the M2M, Luchs, Stuart, BT7, and AusfA - allowing you to even usually withstand 2x7.5cm hits too.
Lastly, when you do get placed in the dreaded T5, and PZ4s KV2s Stugs and SU85s are everywhere....I have to say, wait out the fight if you do not like scouting. T46 is not the best of scouts, do to its wide size. I find it also has trouble accelerating beyond 4Okm/hr, it accelerates fast to that, but then has a hard time getting to its max. Just wait it out, and then in team degraded states, rush out and seek forward firing TD/Arty targets. Remember the golden rule, TRAP THEN DESTR0Y. Never stop to fire.

Anyways, I am not here to spam. Brian, I am a seasoned T46 light driver, and have had an exceptionally tough time trying to even my record out with it. You do not have to listen to a word said, but I would like to know that I know what the T46 has to offer, and its secrets. It is possible to succeed, but takes a lot of work. Good luck.

brian333 #19 Posted Dec 03 2011 - 21:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDirizon, on Dec 03 2011 - 17:54, said:

189O games in MS1 and T26. Must have been a blast.
Brian, you should be getting better with the T46. Recent patches have upgraded the Tiering of T3 lights, at the cost of increased game wait logs. T46 can expect to be placed in many more T4 matches, instead of the dreaded T5s.
As for the performance of the tank itself, if you are using stuff like camo net and binoculars, use the VT42. Damage is poor, but its penetration is remarkable and so is accuracy. This is probably the only viable Tier 3 tank gun which can hit through Hetzer frontal armour. Its rate of fire is also high. Never equip HE, not worth it. If you are using stuff like improved vents, Toolkit, and a rammer - and like streetfights.....Use the L1O. L1O also hits Tier 3s the hardest if you get a match at the top. L1Os AP round can be useful, 66Pen is not bad in Tier 3 even in T4 - but HE will usually penetrate the lower vehicles and does much more damage. Use around a 75-25 or 7O-3O HE/AP split.
With the VT42, you have to be a sniper really. 0r a break through vehicle looking to pick on TDs/artillery. T46 turns and scoots well enough, look to trap before destroying. Remember, you do not take hits well. With the L1O, bring your fighting to the brutal streets. You do high damage, reverse and accelerate quick, and ranges are usually short. Ammunition is cheap, abundant - so just fire. Do not get caught up aiming too much. Actually, in street fights, where hits and damage are guaranteed both ways - T46 actually turns out to be a decent brawler. Although no armour, it has 25O life. 25O puts it at the top of tier 3, not using premiums. 25O life beats the M2M, Luchs, Stuart, BT7, and AusfA - allowing you to even usually withstand 2x7.5cm hits too.
Lastly, when you do get placed in the dreaded T5, and PZ4s KV2s Stugs and SU85s are everywhere....I have to say, wait out the fight if you do not like scouting. T46 is not the best of scouts, do to its wide size. I find it also has trouble accelerating beyond 4Okm/hr, it accelerates fast to that, but then has a hard time getting to its max. Just wait it out, and then in team degraded states, rush out and seek forward firing TD/Arty targets. Remember the golden rule, TRAP THEN DESTR0Y. Never stop to fire.

Anyways, I am not here to spam. Brian, I am a seasoned T46 light driver, and have had an exceptionally tough time trying to even my record out with it. You do not have to listen to a word said, but I would like to know that I know what the T46 has to offer, and its secrets. It is possible to succeed, but takes a lot of work. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, and I do appreciate the help you and others have offered.

As for the rarity of Tier 5 matches: I've been in the top 5 on the team list exactly once, (listed third,) and did well. The three or four times I've been listed in the middle five I did okay too. Almost every match I'm in with several Tier 5 Heavies, and am usually the bottom tank or just above some TD's or Arty, or on rare occasion another T-46. It's this which is most difficult for me to deal with, as I'm very new to the tank, still trying to figure out how it plays, and get one-shot-killed before I even see the enemy. I know I can and will get better, especially with the help of those who have gone before. It's just a very shallow learning curve at this point: the number of matches I have to go through to get even a few minutes of playtime is unreal.

I am listening, any help is appreciated greatly.

Nikolai_Mikoyan #20 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 08:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hi there,

I am also using the T-46 here (I'm a newcomer, however)and about to 'grind' through it and going for the T-28.

Despite the low number of battles and kills I got, I'd say that a T-46 is a fun tank to play with. At first, I feel like you 'this tank is hard to play' and most of the time, I switch back to my Elited T-26 and feel more comfortable. But by the time I get my T-46 suited up with upgrades, I've already become used to it, now by the time I purchase the 76mm L10 Gun, I regret it, it's more effective with HE shells, but dramatically less accurate than the 45mm VT42 Gun, so I decided to switch back to the VT42.

My tactic is, like you on the MS-1, I'm in the support role; stickin' with a Heavy, or a bunch of Medium or most of the times some combined formations, wait until the recon spot an enemy, the Medium or Heavy may or may not draw enemy fire,  and make sure I haven't got the enemy's attention while I sit in a bush, waiting for the aiming recticle to reach its appropriate size (most of the time, this means the smallest possible) aim for their tracks and fire. It is true that AP shell is less likely to break the enemy's tracks, but I wasn't aiming for the tracks, I aim that the gun's recoil will send the shell a little higher and that means I actually expect to hit them in the hull. A direct hit from the VT-42 in the rear or in the flank is a pain to even a tier 4 tank like the PzKw III/IV.

Soviet Tank Gun are known for their poor accuracy, but when it hits, it hits like a beast. So you have to take some time hiding or have other player divert the enemy while you take aim.

Just as the quote I liked the most from Murhpy's Law of Combat Operation

"Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at"