Information To Assist In Improving Your WoT Framerate.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

TanarusFact #1 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 05:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1460 battles
First the guide:

The Gamer's Graphics & Display Settings Guide

Many of the functions talked about in this guide can be adjusted by manipulating the file "preferences.xml", found in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks.  Of course, back up the original.

To help with determining progress, download Fraps and use the Min/Max/Average framerate counter:

http://www.fraps.com/

That's a decent start.  I started this post running short on time, I'll post more later.  Any clarifications, explanations or added advice is invited.   :Smile_honoring:

Plumber_Story #2 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 05:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3294 battles
When I play normally, my framerate usually hovers around 2 fps, and goes up to 5 fps in city maps.
But, whenever I look straight down, it jumps to 20.
So my problem is the polygon count, right?

Mobius13 #3 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 05:46

Captain

• Players
  • 4235 battles
My problem is looking into thick foliage (through bushes, trees, and the like). I've gotten some low-res things (namely, disabling smoke effects, which also caused HUGE fps drops), but I'm curious - how do I make it so that my framerate doesn't plummet whenever I try to shoot through a non-transparent bush?

amade #4 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 06:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12012 battles

View PostMobius13, on Dec 05 2011 - 05:46, said:

My problem is looking into thick foliage (through bushes, trees, and the like). I've gotten some low-res things (namely, disabling smoke effects, which also caused HUGE fps drops), but I'm curious - how do I make it so that my framerate doesn't plummet whenever I try to shoot through a non-transparent bush?

One time I tried editing the foliage DDS to make them all completely transparent just to see what it would be like. Apart from not knowing where to look for concealment the FPS also plummeted terribly no matter where I looked.

Hmm... maybe next time I'll try making the foliage all opaque by getting rid of their alpha. I wonder if that would work and if it would increase FPS?

washout #5 Posted Dec 16 2011 - 00:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 13007 battles

View Postamade, on Dec 05 2011 - 06:14, said:

One time I tried editing the foliage DDS to make them all completely transparent just to see what it would be like. Apart from not knowing where to look for concealment the FPS also plummeted terribly no matter where I looked.

Hmm... maybe next time I'll try making the foliage all opaque by getting rid of their alpha. I wonder if that would work and if it would increase FPS?
Any progress on this? On my laptop I have a great fps of around 25 or so, and then I zoom in when I need to fire and if I'm looking through a bush my fps drops down to 12 or less depending on how many trees / bushes there are.