So you want to change your game up a bit.. Try and SPG.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

1858remington #1 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 07:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32512 battles
  • [-TIC-] -TIC-
Getting tired of running into battle, meeting tanks head on, and dodging artillery rounds?  
Time to try an SPG.

The SPG or ARTY, as it is commonly called, is completely different in the way its played from other tanks. It is designed to sit back and launch its attack from a distance, not for close combat.  They have limited armor, speed, maneauverability, slow reload time, and slow sighting.  If an arty has to engauge another tank up close, chances are it will only get one shot off before being taken out.

When starting out with an arty, your beginning weapons will be less than desireable, and the arty will perform poorly.  There are ways to improve arty performance.  As your crew experience goes up the arty will perform better.  As soon as you are able buy a gun rammer and gun laying drive for your arty.  This wil dramatically improve the performance of the arty by speeding up your reload, and aiming time.

Bushes are the arty's best friend.  ALWAYS move your arty to cover.  If you are out in the open your as good as dead. The main reason bushes are your friend is that they make you invisible to other tanks. If you cant be seen, you cant be targeted.  This is necessary because an arty player spends most of his time in "Gun Sight Mode".  This means you are not going to be aware of whats going on around your arty, because you will be concentrating on attacking enemy targets.  

Note that most arty's have a limited gun traverse, 15-25 degrees.  If your target moves outside your traverse your tank will have to rotate, your target ring will expand as the arty must now re-aim, and your arty will become visible to others for 5 seconds because it moved.  This makes you open to be targeted.  Using the "X" key will lock the arties tracks so that tank movement wont happen unless you want it to.

Targeting enemy with the arty can be quite a challange.

The rounds fired take time to reach their destination, so you must guess where the target will be when the round arrives to make a hit.  The closer they are to you the faster the round will get to them, and the farther they are the longer it will take.  This is the main reason for arty's damaging friendly tanks. You fire the round, a friendly crosses the point of impact and OOPS.  

Your shots also take an arching path to their target.  This results in the green sight ring being anything but round.  The angle of the terrain and arch of the round will at times give you a long skinny sight ring.  Note that for an arty the green sight ring is just an approximation of where the round might fall.  Arty is by no means a sniper.  Rounds have been known to land just outside the sight ring.  Usually, the farther away you are from your target, the smaller your sight ring and the more accurate your gun will be.

Get used to hearing "That Was Close".  Due to the lack of accuracy with the arty, many of your shots may hit near the target and do splash damage. Count on around 50% of your shots to miss, even when well aimed and a stationary target.  A crew at 100% will give you better chance to hit and will lower your miss percentage.

Low to mid tier arty's have a pretty good amount of ammo but their rounds do less damage.  Since you have the ammo, feel free to take blind shots in places you used to hide as a tank or TD.  You just might get lucky and hit something.  This is best done at the start of the game when you know the enemy is gathered at their base. If anything, a random shot keeps the enemy on edge, and if you get close to someone they may move making them easy to target.

Experience....  One shoting tanks will get you little experience.  The arty gets experience through causing damage to other tanks, not killing them.  Blowing that annoying T50-2 to scrap wont get you as much experience as hitting a KV multiple times and bringing it the hurt.  Though this is the case, that T50-2 is a major threat to your arty as it can spot you and can take you out.  So at times arty's must forgo the experience to stay alive.

If your new to arty's you should try the russian line.  The russian line has a turreted SPG called the SU-26.  Having a turret it has unlimited gun traverse and doesn't have to move to sight targets, so it stays invisible.  Add the Rammer for faster reload and you will have the best arty experience of the game.

Destro160 #2 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 07:48

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9770 battles
Nice guide if you'll let me add my own experience and wisdom. Arty's don't make money, not by a long shot. Lower tiers wont cost much so you wont have to play non-artys to fund them. however around tier 4 you'll either break even or lose a few credits per battle since the ammo is so expensive. Its a good idea to save up plenty of credits to help fund your arty based plans.

Axiom2 #3 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 08:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7540 battles
  • [SMO] SMO

View Post1858remington, on Dec 05 2011 - 07:05, said:

Bushes are the arty's best friend.  ALWAYS move your arty to cover.  If you are out in the open your as good as dead. The main reason bushes are your friend is that they make you invisible to other tanks. If you cant be seen, you cant be targeted.  This is necessary because an arty player spends most of his time in "Gun Sight Mode".  This means you are not going to be aware of whats going on around your arty, because you will be concentrating on attacking enemy targets.
Allow me to add to that:
Sit behind the bush, preferable behind multiple bushes on each side. That way, your muzzle flash won't give you away either.

View PostDestro160, on Dec 05 2011 - 07:48, said:

Nice guide if you'll let me add my own experience and wisdom. Arty's don't make money, not by a long shot. Lower tiers wont cost much so you wont have to play non-artys to fund them. however around tier 4 you'll either break even or lose a few credits per battle since the ammo is so expensive. Its a good idea to save up plenty of credits to help fund your arty based plans.
Hmm, I find this quite odd. In the Hummel, which is the T5 German artillery, I still make decent money. Guess it depends on the player almost entirely.

snakestrike0701 #4 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 08:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 80837 battles
That beginner's post has very good advice.

I'd also add though, that you can make money with arties if you are patient and take steps to maximize your accuracy. Don't expect 100% or even 50% accuracy for direct hits. Regardless of tier, if you are hitting around 40-45%, direct hits, you are doing really well. 35% is more realistic with higher tiers. With higher tiers, the splash damage is so huge, it makes less of a difference. It's important as well to understand the limitations and strengths of your particular arty. They are different, by design. All the arty lines have pros and cons. Their respective playing styles depend on the tier.

For most tiers, German arties tend to do more damage. However, they have the slowest reload times and are the least accurate. They also have a lower shot angle, or shot trajectory, meaning they won't be able to hit the same areas as Russian arties. However, their shots also tend to hit their targets the fastest as well. They tend to be the easiest to play as TD's, in an emergency. The Hummel and and the GW Panther can occasionally be very effective if used properly in that role on certain maps, particularly urban maps.

Russian arties tend to do the least damage, until tier six, have the shortest range, but tend to have the quickest reload time and are usually more accurate. A group of Russian arties are some of the most accurate arties in the game, notably the SU-5. Russian arties tend to have the highest shot trajectories, meaning they take longer to hit their targets. However, you can hit certain parts of the map which other arties cannot reach. It opens up more shot new possibilities. Tier six, though, is a notable exception. The roles reverse somewhat and the Russian arties have the biggest guns, but are the least accurate with the slowest reload times. However, tiers 7 and 8 tend to follow the same previous pattern; they tend to be most accurate, do the least amount of damage for their tier, but have the quickest reload times.

American arties tend to have the best range and are in the middle in terms of accuracy and reload times, notably with the lower tiers. You'll especially notice this with the Priest, once you get the upgraded gun. That's the case until tier 8, when the American arty does the most damage, has the slowest reload time, and is the least accurate. Their shot trajectory is in the middle between the German and Russian arties.

At tier 6 and above, all the arties have basically the same range. After tier 5, the different arties tend to play more similar because the differences are less pronounced; basically, after tier 5, they all do a ton of damage, have a huge range, and have slow reload times.

If you are patient, use the terrain to your advantage, hide well, and pick your targets wisely, arties can be fun and profitable diversion from the tank grind. Good arty players can dominate and destroy a lot of enemy tanks. Further, if you have issues with your video-card and frame-rates, performance improves significantly when you switch to the overhead view.

Mr_0norman #5 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 08:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6767 battles
Yeah, I make 15k a round with my grille, and about 18k a round with my Hummel.  Anyways nice post, hopefully some of the haters will try out arty and see what it's really like.

kebab6597 #6 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 09:29

Major

• Players
  • 61593 battles

I dont know how you play arty mate and its not my place to pass judgement but if your not making money then you must either be throwing shells into empty spaces or your just really unlucky or your playing T7/8 which wont make money same as the higher tiered tanks

The only reason i have a hummel is because its one of my best credit grinders next to my KV, PZ4,Lowe and KV5 and its helped me to make a small fortune in credits its probably the same reason so many other players play arty aswell because it sure isnt for the excitement factor of sitting in a bush waiting for something to appear on the mini map then waiting too reload because something else just popped up infact the most exciting arty gets for me is in TD mode on Himmelsdorf now thats fun and worth the allmost certain death  

@ OP nice post worth a +1 some nice pointers in there and your qiute right i do play for a change of pace aswell as making good credits i play it to take off the dailies and when i,am sick of being nuked by arty on the "if you carnt beat em join em" principle but what i do for real kicks is jump into my T5 light and go arty hunting and these days there is more than enough prey out there to keep my T5 busy

Talking T5s arty needs to be very mindfull of whats on the other team at all times and dont bank on your team killing it before it reaches you keep 1 eye on that mini map for fast movers and be prepaired to take direct action yourself dont scream at your team mates if the little blighters get through its as much your fault if your killed as it is thiers please dont become one of these spoilt brats calling your team in chat because your dead, man up and move on pick another tank or td and play another game and come back to your arty later way to many dead guys making stupid comments in chat distracting there live team mates from the game thankfully i normally ignore the chat completely but some cannot (my eyes arnt good and the writting is too small)

Jedi_Jack #7 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 10:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 60935 battles
Great post, I started the American line, then stopped.  But then I skipped 2 tiers and went to tier 6 (M12).  I loved it and I now have the M40/43 and it is awesome.  I make good money with it.  The only time I have lost money is when a fast mover makes it in to the base.  Then you get the epic feeling of "fail team".  Do not be hard on them, realize that the tanks that make it through are designed to make it through.  Never forget that you also drive tanks and you will realize that sometimes arty cannot make every shot you want them to.  So have fun it will change the way you play the game.

Thanks,

Jedi-Jack

dolph #8 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 10:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15197 battles

By 4 on American and Russian I was making money on a win, and breaking even on a dead loss. On Tier 5 I was making money on victories and losses.

HCallahan #9 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 18:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4138 battles

View PostAxiom2, on Dec 05 2011 - 08:17, said:

Hmm, I find this quite odd. In the Hummel, which is the T5 German artillery, I still make decent money. Guess it depends on the player almost entirely.
Slight disagreement in depending almost entirely on the player.  The random number generator has a lot to do with it.  I just got off a round in my Hummel where I shot all 18 rounds (at 1000+ credits a shot).  Although I was fully zeroed in, I kept getting hits WELL outside of the aiming circle.  It was just one of those rounds...  However, it ended up costing me a bundle as we lost the match and I didn't do much in the way of damage.  With repairs (I was the the last tank killed) and ammo costs, I was about 10,000 in the hole for that match.

I will agree that I generally break even or even make a bit of a profit with the Hummel, but it certainly does not always depend on the player.  I go through periods where the random number generator is PO'ed at me.  Sometimes I will even switch to the lesser gun in the Hummel so I am only throwing 500+ credit bricks until the RNG goes and picks on someone else.

YusefAdama #10 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 02:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15764 battles
Quote"I will agree that I generally break even or even make a bit of a profit with the Hummel, but it certainly does not always depend on the player. I go through periods where the random number generator is PO'ed at me. Sometimes I will even switch to the lesser gun in the Hummel so I am only throwing 500+ credit bricks until the RNG goes and picks on someone else."
HCallahan is right, but here's what I do, I have BOTH guns for the Hummel and when I'm feeling frisky(rich) I use the big gun, and a win will get me 35k credits, a loss however can crush your budget.
Wespe! Fun, can hit across the board and CHEAP! to operate, you get in all kinds of different tiers so it's Hella fun,
Bob

fsjd #11 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 02:37

Major

• Players
  • 11331 battles
  • [TT] TT
one not on range:
there are two ranges.
half-map and full-map range.
for the german line, the tier 4 grille marks this turning point- first gun half map, second gun (also hummels first gun) has the full range.
note that you cant go corner-to-corner, but you can still blast stuff in one base from the other. (hint hint)
also take not of where you and your allies park your arty. then blindfire those spots when you spawn on opposite.(again, low tier arty does this better) hummel has 18 shots. rish one or two at start as blindfire, than sit back and wait. and click. and wait. and flee in terror*. and die. rinse, repeat. have fun out there.

*note: making a stand is risky. in my grille, mines, i managed to beat a tank that made it into our base (my traverse could keep up with his circling. somehow i didnt die) fire-miss, spin, take damage, reload, KABOOM. also managed to blast a T59 charging me.
these are the exceptions, and so make great stories. in general, if a scout gets to you, you die from it, or a CB shell from arty hitting stuff the scout sees.
again- have fun out there, and show those heavy tanks thier rightful place and that they arent invincible.

dolph #12 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 03:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15197 battles

View PostHCallahan, on Dec 05 2011 - 18:28, said:

Slight disagreement in depending almost entirely on the player.  The random number generator has a lot to do with it.  I just got off a round in my Hummel where I shot all 18 rounds (at 1000+ credits a shot).  Although I was fully zeroed in, I kept getting hits WELL outside of the aiming circle.  It was just one of those rounds...  However, it ended up costing me a bundle as we lost the match and I didn't do much in the way of damage.  With repairs (I was the the last tank killed) and ammo costs, I was about 10,000 in the hole for that match.

I will agree that I generally break even or even make a bit of a profit with the Hummel, but it certainly does not always depend on the player.  I go through periods where the random number generator is PO'ed at me.  Sometimes I will even switch to the lesser gun in the Hummel so I am only throwing 500+ credit bricks until the RNG goes and picks on someone else.

I find that when I experience this, I wait about 1 or 2 seconds longer after a fully closed reticle. I'm missing shots anyway, so might as well wait a little longer. Sometimes it breaks the random wtfdidmyshotgo or sometimes it doesn't, but waiting more is the only thing you could reasonably do, aside from finding a bigger target.

* Hummel is the only arty that I've played so far that has this amount of randomness. GW Panther and other nation's artillery doesn't seem to have this odd behavior.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users