What should i do when my gun aren't "Penetrate"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: What should i do when my gun aren't "Penetrate" (62 members have cast votes)

what should you do when your gun aren't penetrating the incoming heavy

1. shoot the track (12 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

2. try to go around and hit the side/rear (30 votes [48.39%])

Percentage of vote: 48.39%

3. retreat (1 vote [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

4. ram 'em (2 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

5. stay still, doing nothing while waiting for an inevitable fate... (1 vote [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

6. *Answer not here (16 votes [25.81%])

Percentage of vote: 25.81%

Vote Hide poll

NitocrisIsMyWaifu #1 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:27

Captain

• Players
  • 20718 battles
so i was using PzIII, the best tank i have beside Mauder II (both are on tier 4)

i do love my 75mm on both of my tank, it does well againt the tank on the same tier (or smaller).
but recently(as i start transforming from TDer to Medium tanker), i've start to get in a duel againt the KV and Churchill more often. and i always heard the legendary word. "don't even scratch them". hell it can't even penetrate hetzer(occationally, due to it sloped armour i guess).

normally i would retreat and let my arty or the TD finish them, but sometime i Can't expect much from random...
when i ended up in that situation and i know that my guns aren't "scratching", i often aim to disable the track in a hope to make them become a static target for my arty.

*If the answer is not in the poll please post it. :)

Danke.

azntrigboi #2 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:34

Captain

• Players
  • 7769 battles
Where's the load HE option?   :unsure:

Nosjack #3 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9794 battles
Well, it really depends on the tanks involved. For your situation, I would advice using HE rounds if you're shooting them from the front. Or, moving around them and taking them from the side.

Of course, flanking only works if they're already engaged or you can kill them in one shot, otherwise you're exposing your own side armor to them.

So, if you can flank them and hit them from the side or rear without:
1~Attracting the attention of other enemies
2~Getting killed by the heavy before you can get behind them

Then by all means, do so.

Now with the Marder II you're obviously not going to be able to flank them (unless you're farther than, say, 200m), so it's usually best to just switch to HE ammo and hope some friendly tanks show up to help you out.

Try not to hit sloped armor as well, as that makes in even harder to penetrate.

Drakenred #4 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:37

Captain

• Players
  • 15243 battles
usualy 1 and 2, depending on the tank.

the reality is you should always try to stay in a group with at least 3 other tanks. if your low teir try to hang back and be reay to try to flank them, or get on there butt and force them to focus on your tank to try to save there engein instead the one in front of them. If you have block them from the rear so they can only go forward (often with there turret facing away from the real threat to him because hes is trying to see why he cant back up, I dont know how many T 32s and 34s ive done this to and it usualy works he cant move, hes getting thies lovely ringspikes indicating hes getting shot in the back so he swings around and BOOM! 120+mm pill o pain and death in the chest from the guy he was playing peekaboo with)

Only_Slightly_Bent #5 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:42

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
HE is your friend (until 0.7.0 that is...)

gunney42 #6 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:45

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 16807 battles
I suggest switching to HE.

focuslight #7 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14544 battles
The answer is probably not what you want to hear, it depends.

In open field, one on one, your best bet in Pz3 is to circle and flank your enemy.  In marder, is usually retreat to a better spot.
With arty support, you want to just back off, proximity spot the other guy and let your arty do the work.
You absolutely have to hold, no where to run, no where to hide, switch to HE and pray.
Playing support with bigger tanks with you, don't peek out, let your enemy come around the corner and aim for tracks.
Sometimes you are just out of options, a T59 bear down on your Pz3, its 20 years of technology difference.  Just have to take it and say, "Oh well, I will be back."

Most important of all, its what tank you have, maximize its strength without undue risks.  For example Pz3/4 and Pz4 play very differently.  Same opponent, same locations, mean different tactics.  One can try to flank and get around the opponent, the other is better at relocating, extend the engagement range and find better angles.

AlaricKerensky #8 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 4853 battles
The option "Aim for weakspots" is also missing.

Problem #1: the 75mm gun on the PzIII is crap, have you ever read the penetration value? of course you are going to have a hell of a time penetrating heavy tanks a tier above you! I suggest using the more ballanced 50mm, you will have more accuracy, rate of fire, and penetration.

Problem #2: If a tank is above you on tiers, and especially if it is heavier than you, such as your difficulty fighting heavies in mediums, it is natural that you WILL LOSE if you fight them head to head. They will blow you away with their heavier armor, larger pool of HP, and likely bigger gun. You need to quickly determine the strengths of the opposing vehicle, and then also the weaknesses and compare them to your own, and lastly but sometimes most importantly factor in the surrounding environment and locations of BOTH friendly and enemy units. Then plan and maneuver to gain the advantage on your enemy, such as making use of a KV-2's 30 second long reload time and very slow turret traverse to attack his weaker armor on the side and rear. Make sure that you do not expose yourself to additional enemy fire while engaging a larger foe, and try to bait them into a position where friendly units can begin to assist you in pounding them into the ground. Advanced tactics and creative thinking can be used to even the tide of any random battle, you are only ever truly outmatched when you stop concidering all possibilities, sense of teamwork, or find yourself backed to the wall. No matter what, never give up and stay focused, and if you are going down, do whatever you can to prolong your lifespan and fight like an animal. Whatever damage you can inflict gives your team a better chance, and ever second you delay the enemy gives your allies so much precious time.

As the Romans used to say: "Rem Ad Triarios Redisse" - An old Latin phrase meaning "To the bitter end." Take that as your motto, and enjoy what it allows you to do. Never give up, Never surrender.

Kristine #9 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 20:56

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 34392 battles
  • [ARCTX] ARCTX
75 is the stubby gun, right?  If so, circle strafe the KV and rain down HE rounds on it.

Look_its_Rain #10 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 21:05

Major

• Players
  • 11776 battles
Use he if you cant maneuver to his sides or rear. Pretty strait forward.

MattT #11 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 21:06

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 6213 battles
its a combonation of things. first of load high explosive or HE rounds. Then try to move to there back side were it is less armored, but keep arty cover for clear resons. Third is all else fails, turn your tank back and forth on angles in hopes that you might bounce some shells and out last your foe.

kirby20x6 #12 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 21:14

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2916 battles

View PostOnly_Slightly_Bent, on Dec 05 2011 - 20:42, said:

HE is your friend (until 0.7.0 that is...)
No, not really.  The changes boils down to a few things:
1) If you're behind cover, your enemy can't just fling HE at your cover until you die.
2) Smaller guns firing HE shells will need to be aimed do significant damage.  On most tanks, hitting the turret will let your HE shell deal damage through the weak hull roof armor.
3) Artillery shells that hit the front glacis will deal less damage than before.

rinying #13 Posted Dec 05 2011 - 23:20

Major

• Players
  • 11485 battles
pound with HE. simple and easy to do. or find the ultimate weakspot and nail em a couple of times there

kirby20x6 #14 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 00:26

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2916 battles
In your specific situation, you shouldn't be using AP on the P3's 7.5 cm.  Anything 43 penetration will get through, 38 penetration from an HE shell has a good chance of working, too, and will do damage even if it doesn't penetrate.

Hobbez #15 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 19:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2814 battles
If you have an buildings, rocks, or heavy cover nearby, another option is to call for some teammate help (if you can) and get on the opposite side of cover from that heavy.  He moves, you move.  Nothing cheezes off a KV driver more than a light or med that is always on the other side of a building or rock from him.  He can't catch you and hell get super frustrated till help arrives to take him out.  And even if he does get you eventually, you kept him busy for all that time and your team was saved from his possible damage.  Sometimes you can make more of a difference by not firing a shot.

Vann_the_Red #16 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 20:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30290 battles
I went for answer not here, because I'd start with HE on the targets you mentioned.  However, A+B is equally valid.  You can pen all of those targets from the right angle, you've just got to get around and tracking is the perfect start to that.

Ranulf #17 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 22:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 1959 battles
In your tank I would say go for the sides/rear. But there there are times when I have bounced a round off of the rear of a tank 3 tiers below me, so the true best answer is prey that the game lets you pen.

WikiEpic #18 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 22:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23058 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
Try shooting those weak spots that all tanks sometime have. Maybe go for optics or lower hull. If that doesn't work spam them with HE!  :Smile-playing:

Sword_of_Light #19 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 22:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8234 battles

View Postazntrigboi, on Dec 05 2011 - 20:34, said:

Where's the load HE option?   :unsure:

Yup - double tap 3

And also theres the option in gun sights for the + that changes color depending on whether you can pen or not.  Thats a real life saver.  No, you cant pen that Lowe's turret, so just get your finger off the trigger....

-Don

NitocrisIsMyWaifu #20 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 06:15

Captain

• Players
  • 20718 battles
all right thank for answering guys i guess the HE is the best option afterall ;)

i always though it's for people who prefer damage over penetration lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users