TD trouble

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

AGMx #1 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 01:23

Major

• Players
  • 20149 battles
  • [HOLO] HOLO
I have my TD, my AT-1 for about a week and I have enough experience to buy myself a Su-76, but the thing is that I still don't have any kills on my AT-1. Can someone please give me advice on how to get kills on a TD. Also in the game menu, how sensitive should be my arcade and sniper mode be, I think they're at a wrong sensitivity level or something like that, but could that be the problem, Just saying but they're on low sensitive, because when ever they were on high, my aim would like jump all around my screen in sniper mode and kinda in arcade. PLease HELP. :(:(:(

Aello #2 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 01:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 15656 battles
Try staying behind the main assualt and using bushes/cover, take your time to aim - keep at it youll get better

ZombieFlanders #3 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 01:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12394 battles
TDs are best played as second line or as defense.  they have a camo bonus, so are harder to detect than other vehicles.  hide behind bushes etc,,, to stay undetected.  

also, crew training matters a lot.  a 75% crew is noticably better than a 50%, and a 100% is far beyond 75%.  

not sure about your mouse settings.  i have my sniper around 30% and the arcade around 25%.  

what are your system specs by the way? what are your FPS like?

AGMx #4 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 01:38

Major

• Players
  • 20149 battles
  • [HOLO] HOLO
I have my at 10 %, sniper and arcade, about 10%

rinying #5 Posted Dec 06 2011 - 02:08

Major

• Players
  • 11485 battles
the AT-1 isnt really that good of a t2 td. the best t2 td is the us one. also dont rush unless you know the layout and can easily manuever around to get the enemy in firing range without exposing yourself.

zztong #6 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 17:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12609 battles
As somebody else suggested, you want to either be following the assault and providing over-watch or fire support, or you want to be on defense.

If you're following the assault, you're counting on others to spot the targets. Pick an accurate gun and keep to a medium or long range. I like a gun with high penetration and a higher rate of fire for this role, but using a big gun with big damage can work too.

If you're defending, find a hiding spot that can watch one or two bottlenecks. Orient yourself to fire at the bottleneck. Lock your parking break (with the X key) to keep yourself from turning while you look around. Turning will reveal your location. A larger gun with big damage is good for ambushing, but using the high-pen high-ROF guns works too. Now be patient. That's the hard part for lots of folks. You're a hunter waiting on the deer.

Smaller, faster TDs can make for a mobile reserve if you're defending. If you take this approach, setup like a defender and while you're waiting plan out some other ambush spots for other bottlenecks. This way you'll know where you're going if scouting reports indicate another bottleneck is going to be active in a minute. Then you can displace and hide quickly to be ready for them.

Also, smaller, fast-turning TDs make for good anti-scout tanks. Deploy away from arty so that you can engage the scout before it can spot arty. Since you turn fast you can track the scout. If you have a high rate of fire gun, you'll get lots of shots at him. Track him if you can aim... usually if they come right towards you or are moving directly away from you.

Whee #7 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 18:23

Major

• Players
  • 27829 battles
  • [WOPR2] WOPR2

View Postrinying, on Dec 06 2011 - 02:08, said:

the AT-1 isnt really that good of a t2 td. the best t2 td is the us one. also dont rush unless you know the layout and can easily manuever around to get the enemy in firing range without exposing yourself.

That's not true. AT-1 has the tier 4 gun which is quite strong and quite effective at sniping. I believe the AT-1 is an excellent bush sniper, so use that to your advantage.

Patrician #8 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 06:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 18731 battles
I got both the AT-1 and the T-18 at about the same time, and at first I had a hard time with them both (as you have).  I kept getting clobbered by the fast scouts that would run circles around me pounding me to scrap, or their big brothers at a distance would one-shot me once I was lit up.  My problem was that I was still in the tier 1 mode of thinking and had to break habits I had learned with the MS-1 and T-1.

I first thought the T-18 was the better tank.  In it can be a killer in a tier 1-3 match, and can hold it’s own with tier 4 tanks with the 75 mm howitzer.  I really liked it’s speed and turning radius, as it allows you to quickly relocate when a threat pops up nearby in an unexpected direction .  The AT-1 seemed like such a slug with its slow speed and hull traverse.  So I started out playing the T-18 more frequently than the AT-1.  As time went by, I moved away from acting like a tier 1 light tank and started to figure out what TD’s were all about.  ZombieFlanders and zztong above are smack on target with their suggestions on how to play TD’s.  There also good discussions on the TD forums for the other nation’s tanks.  I encourage you to read them - they helped me a lot.  There are also some videos on YouTube that specifically talk about how to play TD’s in WoT.  They were great for me.

But as I began to adapt to TD play, a funny thing happened.  The AT-1 was getting better game results than the T-18, which was the tank I first thought was better.  I had a higher survival rate, and I had higher kill numbers (and experience rates) in the AT-1 than the T-18.  At first I couldn’t figure out why.

Then it dawned on me;  the slower speed and traverse rate, coupled with the high accuracy sniper gun (the 57 mm ZiS-8S:  good accuracy, rapid reload, decent penetration and quick aiming time) all worked to force me to play this tank as you should play TD’s.  Because it was slow, I was not tempted to rush to the front of the battle and subsequently get pounded to scrap.  It was simply not an option.  Instead, I first had to take up defensive positions that had good camo and cover, with long sight lines for the high-accuracy gun.  It also allowed me to buddy up with the team’s arty, because they were also slow and were frequent targets for scout tanks.  By covering arty at first, the scouts had to come to me in my sight range.  Once I learned how to lead with the targeting reticle, I had several chances to whack them before they could attack me.  Also, tanks that would get that far into our base area would usually have some damage already, and I could one-shot the speedy lights with my sniper gun.

Once I began to play the T-18 more like the AT-1, I improved my performance with that TD as well.  Of all the tanks I have in my garage, these two tank destroyers have the highest victory ratio, the highest kills per battle, and highest average experience rates.  And, of these two, the AT-1 has slightly better stat’s.  (Note-It is possible I am average with TD’s, and really suck as a tank jocky with my turreted tanks-this could give the same results.  Who knows?)

So, I hope that you consider staying with the tier II TD just a little while longer (maybe try one of the other two) to wrap your brain around what a TD is all about.  It took me about 50-70 battles with both TD’s (I could be a slow learner too) before I began to get the hang of how to play them.  I find TD’s so fun to play now that over one-third of my battles are with the two tier II TD’s I mentioned.  That way, if you decide to move up the TD tier ladder, you will have less frustration with the P.U.T.T.S. issue.

However, if you find that the style needed for good TD play bores or frustrates you, don’t sweat it.  Some folks are just not cut out for TD’s.  Or artillery (I suck at being an arty-jocky=pity the poor folks who had me on their teams while I was learning that fact).  The game is supposed to be fun.  Play with the tanks you have fun with, and with practice you will become a killer on the battlefield.

zztong #9 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 21:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12609 battles
I didn't mention it before, but one of the first things I was doing when I started playing was, after I died, watching other folks play. Watch other people play their TDs. See what works for them, and what doesn't.

Patrician mentioned playing other kinds of vehicles to see if you're more interested in them. I think you'll find playing all sorts of vehicles helps with being a TD player too. You see the game from many different angles.

Also, play TDs of different nationalities. I started with the German ones, which I think make great snipers, at least up through the JagdPanther which is my favorite. I've been working my way through the Russian and American TDs and they can be a bit different. The American ones are more like tanks (with a turret) and the Russian ones tend to be less accurate but with a huge gun.

I don't recall playing the AT-1. I probably skipped it with free xp. The SU-76 I recall being light TDs that turns quickly, kind of like the StuG on the German side. The SU-85 and SU-100 are excellent medium TDs that can pack a big punch. I find them a little harder to provide fire support with as they aren't as accurate as the German TDs were. If you pick a bug gun and ambush with them, you can ruin somebody's day.

The StuG III is perhaps the most versatile TD I've played but you'll find it gets in over it's head in some battles with higher-tier vehicles. The little thing can hustle and I love having the extra grousers module on it. It makes a nice mobile reserve and fire support platform.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users