Gold Ouchie!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

HCallahan #1 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 04:04

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4138 battles
Well since the sale on garage slots is going on, I though I would pick up a few gold (my first time) to purchase a few while they are cheaper.

Things like games and entertainment, I generally handle with cash and not credit or debit cards.  So I decided to use the MoneyGram option.  Since I pass by a store that has MoneyGram on the way to/from work, it was easy to stop by.

I took the ~$15 package, and had a printout to take to the store with all the info.  The store has a direct line phone to MoneyGram (in India, of course -- I have a bitch of a time understanding that particular accent.  Grrr).  At any rate, after pulling teeth to get the customer rep to enter the data that was given on the sheet (we had to start over 3 times), I went up to the cash register to pay.  

Now, I knew it was going to cost some money for the transaction.  The Post Office charges 75¢ for a Money Order.  I thought it might be a couple of bucks, $3-$4 at most (and worth it to me to be able to use cash), but I was floored when I found out the charge for the $14.95 MoneyGram was $9,99!!!!  A 66% surcharge!!!  That is just ridiculous!!  Even if I was buying the $100 package that is still 10%...  *sheeze*

Well, I am NOT going to do THAT again (and if I could have cancelled the transaction, I would have!).  And I would recommend anyone else considering that option to be aware of the cost involved.

BTW, this is nothing against WG other than it would be nice if they provided a less expensive way to use cash, like accepting Money Orders or checks (after clearing, of course).  

The worst part is that I didn't even get kissed...   -_-

HOTA_CHATON #2 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 04:08

Major

• Players
  • 16236 battles
If you don't have a Debit or Credit Card or really don't want to use them.  You can always buy a $25 or $50 gift card, like I do, if I am going to do that.  Normal
activation fee is like $3 to $5 and easy as pie.  Best wishes.

Aziz_Light #3 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 05:45

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 10571 battles
Yep, that's how I get my gold, when I buy it. $25 gift card and then I spend the remainder on dirt cheap Steam games. ;)

Echo_Sniper #4 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 07:22

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25491 battles
  • [OTT-V] OTT-V
IT's not WG's fault, it's your bank's fault.

When I ordered this laptop, I had to pay a 15$ fee.

You could also go for a paypal checkout.

But I do agree that there should be somekind of warning about this when going trough this kind of paying method.

dolph #5 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 09:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15197 battles
It is nice to know how much it would cost, and that other people would learn what you learned. Too bad WoT can't really do anything about how much these 3rd party payment options. The best they could do is negotiate with other providers, just pray that one is available in your area.

Vivisector999 #6 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 15:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6631 battles
Not sure where you are from, but where I am,  I look for the Ultimate Game cards in 7-11's or Walmart's.  You can usually buy them in $20 cards, not sure if there are others.  Pay cash, or however you want (7-11 gas bucks???)  then go back and add the card to your online account, I think its part of the playspan network.   You can then use the money in your playspan account to buy gold, or use part for gold, and part to put towards another online game, I think they have around 200+ games they cover game charges for.

Sealteam6 #7 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 15:43

Major

• Players
  • 12434 battles
Possibly get a Paypal account & drop a $100 in there or so to use at your whim via a debit card.

Isky #8 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 16:21

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 23794 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostVivisector999, on Dec 07 2011 - 15:37, said:

Not sure where you are from, but where I am,  I look for the Ultimate Game cards in 7-11's or Walmart's.  You can usually buy them in $20 cards, not sure if there are others.  Pay cash, or however you want (7-11 gas bucks???)  then go back and add the card to your online account, I think its part of the playspan network.   You can then use the money in your playspan account to buy gold, or use part for gold, and part to put towards another online game, I think they have around 200+ games they cover game charges for.

Yes, the Ultimate Game Cards work well, I can get them here at Walmart or the local grocery store chain.  No extra surcharges, which is nice.

Kaputt #9 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 16:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 11992 battles
  • [S-B] S-B
Thanks for the warning, HCallahan, it sucks that you had to get jipped.  

How do these ultimate game cards work?  One buys them with cash then needs to set up a Playspan account on the web and activate the card?  I'm not familiar with UGC and Playspan and I have read some not too nice things about Playspan on these forums.

Isky #10 Posted Dec 07 2011 - 23:15

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 23794 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostKaputt, on Dec 07 2011 - 16:37, said:

Thanks for the warning, HCallahan, it sucks that you had to get jipped.  

How do these ultimate game cards work?  One buys them with cash then needs to set up a Playspan account on the web and activate the card?  I'm not familiar with UGC and Playspan and I have read some not too nice things about Playspan on these forums.

Don't need to set up a playspan account.

Just buy them at the store with cash/credit/check/livestock/whatever.  A $10 card costs $10, no surcharge/activation fee, unlike prepaid credit cards.  

Scratch off the back to get the code.

Go to the "get gold" in WoT.  Select the level of gold you want to buy and chose "other" type of payment (don't remember exact wording).  Choose UGC cards as your payment.

Start entering the codes on the cards you bought until you hit enough money to buy the gold.  (I.e.  if you want the $50 gold level, enter the codes from 3 $10 cards and 1 $20 card, or whatever combination works for the right total ...)  I've only seen the cards in $10 and $20 amounts.

Profit!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users