What is the deal with the Hummel?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

HCallahan #1 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4138 battles
I just recently got a Hummel.  I transferred my 100% (Primary) crew from my elite Grille (Since the Grille has 4 crew and the Hummel has six, I trained the new guys to 75%.  I've played enough that the old crew is now in mid-90% range and the FNG's are mid-80s.  I have a Gun Laying Drive and a Shell Rammer installed.  I have all the upgrades except the research for the GW Panther.  I have the 150mm L/30 installed.

The aiming time on the gun is listed as 6 seconds.  However, on the battlefield it actually takes around 15 seconds for the reticule to settle.  Now I know the times listed are with a 100% crew, but I thought with the crew, particularly the gunner, in the mid-90% and a Gun Laying Drive, that I should be in the neighborhood of 6 seconds.  Just a few minutes ago in a random battle, I let the sight settle, then turned the hull 90 degrees and started a stop watch.  It took a full 15 seconds (plus a few tenths) for the sight to settle back.  Is this right?

Also, no matter HOW much I let it settle, it almost always hits near the outer edge of the reticule and about 30% of the time, out of it.  I thought there was only supposed to be about a 5% chance of a flyer.  I am getting way more than that.

Contrast this with my Grille, with which I was having pretty good success with even with an 85%-ish crew and almost everything was dropping in the circle with many of the shots very close to the center.

It is becoming frustrating.  Half the match is done before my circle settles and if I do get zeroed in on something chances are I am going to miss by a mile anyway.  I am serious afraid to take a shot with a friendly even in the view box on the off chance that I might give him an HE suppository.

Everything I have read says that the Hummel is supposed to be relatively decent arty.  I need help with this thing.  What am I doing wrong?

wOOt99 #2 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:18

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13146 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Use the stock gun, its like 5 seconds, less damage but I find it more accurate and less aiming time

fennec_AITF #3 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28677 battles
  • [CRAKD] CRAKD
First thing, you know about the X-key right? This locks your treads so the reticle doesnt flare up when you try to go right or left of the max gun radius. If you focus on a choke point and leave it there for a sec (or 15 ;)) it will settle and allow your spotters to spot for you at that choke point.

Mobius13 #4 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:26

Captain

• Players
  • 5604 battles
The RNG also plays a factor here. No matter how accurate your reticule is, you will still miss at least half your shots.

HCallahan #5 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4138 battles

View PostwOOt99, on Dec 08 2011 - 03:18, said:

Use the stock gun, its like 5 seconds, less damage but I find it more accurate and less aiming time
... and the shells are half the cost.  I have tried that some, but I have been being put into battles with multiple tier X tanks a lot lately (saw 4 on the other team a few days ago!) and I feel like I am only knocking the rust off those beasts with the little gun.  Not the bigger gun is that much better, but still...

View PostBigBen83, on Dec 08 2011 - 03:18, said:

First thing, you know about the X-key right? This locks your treads so the reticle doesnt flare up when you try to go right or left of the max gun radius. If you focus on a choke point and leave it there for a sec (or 15 ;)) it will settle and allow your spotters to spot for you at that choke point.
Yeah, I do that, but if I am settled in and have to react in other part of the map (ie, I am covering east and they are rushing west), I have to pivot to try to assist over there.  Like I said, by the time I am re-settled, the battle is virtually over.

I guess what I am asking is 15 seconds a "normal" aim time for a supposedly 6 second gun with a reasonably higher level crew and a Gun Laying Drive?

Viceroyphoenix #6 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4812 battles
Just so u know, stats are not jsut with a 100% crew its also with vent, go look on teh wiki

Maybeso #7 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:38

Private

• Players
  • 10524 battles
Welcome to the 'Drunken Hummel Gunners' club. On the good side, the GW Panther makes suffering through the Hummel worth it.

NorseNE #8 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 54191 battles
  • [BYB] BYB
IF you think the Hummel is frustrating, just wait till you get your GW Tiger.....  Keep the GW Panther as it is currently the best all round arty in the German tree.

shynsly #9 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14592 battles
I can't personally speak of any of the Hummel's attributes, as I've been told it was one of the better arties in the game, but I just started playing arty less then two weeks ago and have only made it to (elite) Grille. I will say this much, kinda glad I caught this thread, as I really enjoy playing the Grille and have been wondering if I even wanted to "level up". After reading all of the above, I'm kinda thinking I may have my answer, lol. Good luck getting it sorted out, brutha.

fsjd #10 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 03:56

Major

• Players
  • 11331 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostNorseNE, on Dec 08 2011 - 03:49, said:

IF you think the Hummel is frustrating, just wait till you get your GW Tiger.....  Keep the GW Panther as it is currently the best all round arty in the German tree.

least till they nerf the credit earnings.

I have no issues with mny Hummel. I love this guy. blasted an IS into a WAS, turned an M6 into a W73ck, got my revenge on a T59, TDed a different 59, the list goes on. to sum it all up- epic arty.  
listed stats are for 100% crew(everyone), vents, and the premium consumable.
100% crew stats are about 90% of the listed value.

SKULL2XL #11 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 04:06

Captain

• Players
  • 18931 battles
the rate of fire is 3.24 rounds per min. at the very best :blink:  that's with 100% commander,100% loader, gun rammer,  and chocolate

MrTabs #12 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 06:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12026 battles
  • [ME109] ME109
Hummel is a great arty. Using the smaller gun is a stupid thing to do.

Zakume #13 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 15:07

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 37422 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
To get the listed stat, you need EVERYTHING that effects the stat. So first you need your crew 100% which you know, you also need the gun laying drive which you have, and also ventilation if it is mountable. You also need chocolate - the gold consumable. Even then I have my doubts about aiming time and it's listed stat, however it would be a lot less than 15 seconds, maybe 10. Also just because your crew is at 90%, that doesn't mean they will have 90% efficiency of the stat, as the difference between that and 100% is exponentially higher.

tgoat #14 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 16:20

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8481 battles
  • [KEWEI] KEWEI
When it comes to arty, the aim time shown is not how long it takes for the reticule to zoom in all the way, but how long it takes for the reticule to shrink by 50%.  

With these long-loading and slow-zooming guns it's ideal to only move the hull when the shell is reloading so as to minimize the amount of time you waste when aiming, and maximize your fire rate.  

The Hummel is a great arty, but it is known to be somewhat inaccurate.  Your biggest advantage is the fact that the Hummel is fast like a freak.  If you need to vacate your camping spot due to scouts or a collapsing flank, the Hummel's speed will save your butt.  If you need to relocate to get a better angle at someone, the Hummel's speed will let you do that with minimum impact on your fire rate.

Take your time aiming, let the reticule settle all the way down, and getting the shot right; if you still miss, it just wasn't meant to be.  Expect your hit ratio % to be in the 30s.

SumiXam #15 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 16:30

Major

• Players
  • 7675 battles

View PostMrTabs, on Dec 08 2011 - 06:23, said:

Hummel is a great arty. Using the smaller gun is a stupid thing to do.

^This is about the most unproductive post I've seen. The OP is asking a question. Care to elaborate on your opinion?

@OP...I only played the Wespe and heard it was similar in style to the Hummel and that was what I wanted to get. I had a hard time with the play style of SPGs and found myself quite dependent on my team (more so than other classes), so I decided to say goodbye for now to SPGs. I think you'll find there are players who absolutely love or hate (and everything in between) every vehicle in this game. The trick is finding what works for you and running with it.

Zakume #16 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 16:56

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 37422 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View PostSumiXam, on Dec 08 2011 - 16:30, said:

^This is about the most unproductive post I've seen. The OP is asking a question. Care to elaborate on your opinion?

@OP...I only played the Wespe and heard it was similar in style to the Hummel and that was what I wanted to get. I had a hard time with the play style of SPGs and found myself quite dependent on my team (more so than other classes), so I decided to say goodbye for now to SPGs. I think you'll find there are players who absolutely love or hate (and everything in between) every vehicle in this game. The trick is finding what works for you and running with it.

He was probably referring to the 1st guy's reply, but didn't quote him to make it relative to that post.  :P

SumiXam #17 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 7675 battles

View PostZakume, on Dec 08 2011 - 16:56, said:

He was probably referring to the 1st guy's reply, but didn't quote him to make it relative to that post.  :P

Doesn't matter. Unproductive is unproductive. Just like this post is going to be.  :Smile_harp:

GearaDoga #18 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 17:34

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
I found that the Hummel doesn't play like most other arty.  Its low, fast shell trajectory is a lot like normal tank guns, which means it's often best to aim the Hummel like an odd tank/arty hybrid.  In practice, that tends to mean aiming a bit past your target, so that the shell has to cross THROUGH his tank to get to wherever it's going to land.  

Always be thinking of what your shell is doing while it's in flight, not just where it will finally hit the ground.

MrTabs #19 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 18:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12026 battles
  • [ME109] ME109

View PostSumiXam, on Dec 08 2011 - 16:30, said:

If you had read the full thread you would know what I was commenting on. Your post  is more pointless since you haven't played even the Grille, let alone the Hummel.

As for why the Hummel is great:
1. Gun traverse
2. speed, acceleration, and hull traverse

Of course, everything the Hummel can do, the GW Panther can do better.

shynsly #20 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 22:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14592 battles

View PostZakume, on Dec 08 2011 - 15:07, said:

To get the listed stat, you need EVERYTHING that effects the stat. So first you need your crew 100% which you know, you also need the gun laying drive which you have, and also ventilation if it is mountable. You also need chocolate - the gold consumable. Even then I have my doubts about aiming time and it's listed stat, however it would be a lot less than 15 seconds, maybe 10. Also just because your crew is at 90%, that doesn't mean they will have 90% efficiency of the stat, as the difference between that and 100% is exponentially higher.

Much agreed. I'm sure there are already many posts about this, both official and otherwise, but based simply on my "real world experiance" (almost 7,000 games), the crew training is most definetly not linear. 50%-80% makes at best a marginal differance. 80%-90%, things start to get better, but the real improvements come from 90%-100%... in fact, it at least SEEMS like it's the last 2% that is almost night and day... probably why it also seems to take as long to GET from 98% to 100% as it did to get from 50% to 98%.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users