can i use this tank in low tier battle?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

DragonStick #1 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 15:52

Private

• Players
  • 1221 battles
can i use PzKpfw 38H735 in low tier tank battle?

can i use PzKpfw S35 739 in low tier tank battle?

what should i buy between PzKpfw 38H735 or PzKpfw S35 739?

thank for answer  :D

Avocet #2 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 13779 battles
The 38H (Hotchkiss) gets better matchmaking (highest it sees is tier 3), and is nearly indestructible to most new players. I don't see the S35 (Somua) often, but it can get heavier matchmaking (up to tier 5) and be irrelevant in more of its matches.

That said, the Somua will probably make more money due to being a higher tier.

Personally, if I was going to buy one, I'd get the Hotchkiss. It's got a pretty good reputation, and I'd be buying for the fun of it not for credit-earning potential.

SumiXam #3 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 7675 battles
They will both be in lower tier battles.

PzKpfw 38H735 (the Hotchkiss) -- is arguably dang near invulnerable when matched lower. It's a Tier II light tank so the biggest enemy it will see is Tier III lights and meds (unless you platoon with a higher tier tank).

PzKpfw S35 739 -- it's a Tier III medium tank, so you'll face higher tier enemies than with the Hotchkiss. You'll see up to Tier V meds, heavies, and TDs.

Pick your poison, but I've heard good things about the Hotchkiss.

*Edit*  :ph34r:  Ninja post by bronco

Avocet #4 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 13779 battles

View PostSumiXam, on Dec 08 2011 - 15:59, said:

*Edit*  :ph34r:  Ninja post by bronco
Ha, we said almost exactly the same things. OP should be pretty satisfied with that. :)

Tiger_23 #5 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 16:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 11563 battles
i love this tank:

Posted Image

SumiXam #6 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 16:36

Major

• Players
  • 7675 battles

View Postbronco330, on Dec 08 2011 - 16:18, said:

Ha, we said almost exactly the same things. OP should be pretty satisfied with that. :)

LOL...at least I am reassured that someone agrees with my position on exactly one post now.  :D

Ironmonger69 #7 Posted Dec 08 2011 - 16:39

Major

• Players
  • 7146 battles
The matchmaker chart will help you, OP.  You can tell what you'll see for any given tank.  Have fun!

Ravendreams #8 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 23:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5144 battles
The Hotchkiss is where its at.  I've driven both, got frustrated due to low speed, low turn rate and low damage output in the Somua.  The Tier 2 preium is a fun little thing to drive.  But it is slow on speed so don't think you can go zipping around all over the place.  Your gun is good, and your armor is amazing for that level.  When you face off vrs Tier 3 lights you will get dinged up pretty good, and may get taken out alot but you can still dish out good damage.  Your only troubles will be getting bounce hits on Pz38 Pz35 PzII and other Hotchkiss, just need to be carefull where you aim on them, but you can still take them out.

I've put in around 365 battles with mine, and gotten top gun 22 times in it.  So I'd say its well worth the money, also just pay the extra and get the 100% crew to start off with, you will really see a fun little thing to drive.

Patrician #9 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 02:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 18731 battles
Bronco333, SumiXam and Ravendreams are right on with their assessment of the Hotchkiss, but the tank does have a few drawbacks.  They can be mitigated based on you preferred play style, and you will either ignore them and have a blast, or they will smack you in the face and you’ll get annoyed with it.  Here is what I have found with the tank after a couple hundred battles with it.

Make no mistake-it is slow.   T1 Cunninghams zip past as you trudge up the hill in Malinovka (even from the hedges near the spawn point up to the base cap circle - and forget about speeding up the hill to the Cathedral in Himmelsdorf, it ain’t happening).  It takes FOREVER to get up a modest hill.  So it plays like a heavy KV-type tank surrounded by a horde of speedy lights.  This pushes you to a very deliberate play style in that you can’t zip all over the map to respond to new threats that pop up (when does that ever happen in WoT?).  Some folks thrive with formulating a plan and sticking to it, and others will want to have more flexibility in how they respond to battle developments.

Its slowness makes you carefully consider when you want to commit to attacking the enemy base, or when you want to hang back in case the opponents sneak around your team’s backs and start to cap.  In Himmelsdorf (which I think is one of the smallest maps available), if you are about 2/3 of the way to the enemy cap point, and ONE enemy tank starts a friendly cap, you are hosed.  You cannot make it back in time.  Many times while playing the Hotchkiss I have lost (or at least couldn’t shut down enemy capping) because I was too far away and was committed (it really bites).  While all tanks have this problem somewhat, it is much more of an issue with the Hotchkiss.

It’s armor is great-no mistake.  For Tier 1 & 2 opponents who don’t know its weak spots, it is a huge frustration to be pounding away at it, and have boatloads of shots bounce off for no or minimal damage.  But that can make you think you are invulnerable, and you can get sloppy in using cover and concealment.  Then you will run up against someone who knows what they are doing - and they will pound you into smoking scrap.  Or, you will be placed in a Tier 2-3 match (about 1/2 to 1/3 of the time I find for my experience) and think you are still invulnerable.  I like playing with Tier 2 TD’s, and dearly LOVE getting a Hotchkiss in my sights on those battles.  It is very common for me to have plenty of time to pump 1 or 2 rounds into them (remember, they are slow and take some time to get to cover once spotted), which is all a Tier 2 TD needs to pulverize the tank.  Also, if you get swarmed by lights who run behind you and shoot your back deck, the frontal armor is irrelevant.  Again, other (maybe even all) tanks can have this problem, but because the armor is so forgiving for the tiers you are often matched against, it can make for sloppy play.

The gun/turret is the most fun part of the tank.  For Tier 2, the gun is a killer, and has good penetration for Tier 3 tanks as well.  With a 100% crew, the aim time is short, reload time is quick, and accuracy is as good as or better than any other tank you will be matched against.  The turret traverse speed is better than any other Tier 1-3 tank.  Although it is a slug when trying to turn the hull, the gun can lock on and zoom in on a target faster than all of its competition.  On defense (where mobility is not paramount), this gun/turret combination makes it a blast to play.  I have had 2 – eight kill games on Malinovka by just sitting back and defending our cap point.  Put binocs and camo on the tank, park in a bush along the likely attack routes, and snipe to your heart’s content.  No downside for the Hotchkiss here.

So, if you can adapt your play style to suit the tank’s characteristics, it will be love at first play.  If your temperament is not a good match for the tank, you will likely find it just Meh.  I find I play it about 3-4 times a night max, and then want to move on to something different-no marathon Hotchkiss sessions for me.  I have really odd stats for the tank compared to others in my garage.  It has the highest ratio of kills/battles (above 2:1), the highest survival rate, and almost as many “Top Gun” counts as my tanks that have over twice as many battles.  But it has the lowest victory rate of any tank that I have played more than 50 battles with.  I suspect other, better players have much better stats with this premium tank than I do, but still-odd.

So, because the Hotchkiss can be so fun to play, and the S39 739 can get it’s ass kicked regularly with Tier V tanks, TD’s and whatnot, I think the Hotch is the clear winner in happy bangs for the bucks.  Your preferred play style will determine how much you will like it.  What - The Hotch is about 700 gold? (The cheapest premium)  About 3 bucks real money?  Such a deal!

See you on the battlefield.

Ravendreams #10 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 08:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5144 battles
Can't agree more with what you said Patrician.  Your stats in it arn't that bad will likely go up the more you play it.  You have alot of the same medals I have with mine, so I'd say with more battles your stats aught to just go higher in it.  BTW what eqp do you run yours with?  do you have your crew at 100% if so what skills??   Mine has Vents, Cammo net, Binocs.  Crew has 100% cammo, and around 74% repair as of right now.

Gmer_freak #11 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 18:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5268 battles
I prefer the Bis since it's always at the top of list as a tier 4.  It's almost indestructible to noobs who don't know where to shoot and it can make 10k for an average game, 15k for a good one.

That's my 2 cents even if the Bis wasn't a choice.  :P

Patrician #12 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 19:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 18731 battles
Ravendreams-

Same - same with the equipment on the Hotchkiss for me: Camo, Vents and Binocs.  Even down to the +75% repair skill.  70/30 loadout on AP/HE ammo.  Because of the cost I will probably never buy premium ammo.

Great tank-jockys must think alike.

Ravendreams #13 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 21:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5144 battles

View PostPatrician, on Dec 10 2011 - 19:20, said:

Ravendreams-

Same - same with the equipment on the Hotchkiss for me: Camo, Vents and Binocs.  Even down to the +75% repair skill.  70/30 loadout on AP/HE ammo.  Because of the cost I will probably never buy premium ammo.

Great tank-jockys must think alike.
I'm running around 6 gold rounds, just for the times I meet another Hotchkiss, and about an 80/20 spread on the rounds.  At the low tiers I stick more to AP over HE.

SmokedOne #14 Posted Dec 11 2011 - 10:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18774 battles
  • [_WOO_] _WOO_
Oo I never use gold rounds for pugs but that kinda explains why I run into other 735's that seem to pen every shot.  Anyway the 735 is where it's at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users