New Armor system

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

Ratcheti #1 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 20:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I don't know what the new armor system is about or what it changes. And I can't find anything on the site, besides patch notes mentioning it. Can anyone explain to me the finer details and depth into how the armor system is changed for 7.0?

Thanks.

therowman #2 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 20:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
instead of 8 armor groups we have 16.

So say the ferdi. instead of having some of the superstructure being considered to be side armor even in the front, it may have its own armor value.

Basicly more weak spots and more strong parts.

togo281 #3 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 20:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
16 armor groups + spaced armor.

Armor Ratings are only show for Front/Side/Rear for the turret/base

So If my tanks base side armor has a rating of 30, what does 16 armor groups + space armor mean or do?

How does this change a tanks armor rating?

Ironpaw #4 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 20:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The three armor ratings are an average I belive, overall front/rear/sides will be about whats listed. There will still be spots that are thicker or thiner than whats listed. The changes to armor is that thickness is going to become more detailed meaning the front superstructure on a TD (any td, just an example) isnt uniform in thickness everywhere and now it will show thiner areas and thicker areas. This is just an assumption so if anyone in the know feels free to speak up.

Not sure what spaced armor means, I'm thinking that maybe hitboxes are moved away from the armor "walls" of the tank to put some space between the boxes and the armor. Otherwise I dont know because Spaced aromr is an armor type that was experemented with in WW II but I doubt thats what is meant by it.

Sabertoothpython #5 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 21:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Simply: Think of each armour group as being a rectangle witht he same armour all across. Right now, each tank has 8 rectangles. 7.0 makes that 16 rectangles of different armour values.

More variation in  armour thickness, smaller weak points, and strong points. Int he end, it averages it all out, and adds realism

shynsly #6 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 21:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSabertoothpython, on Dec 09 2011 - 21:20, said:

Simply: Think of each armour group as being a rectangle witht he same armour all across. Right now, each tank has 8 rectangles. 7.0 makes that 16 rectangles of different armour values.

More variation in  armour thickness, smaller weak points, and strong points. Int he end, it averages it all out, and adds realism

^Exactly. Basically most of the older tanks that have been around since beta were modelled with kind of "blanket armor values". Newer tanks have already been getting the 16 space design so mostly are unaffected. One way to think of it is sort of a simultaneous nerf AND buff. Depending on where a shot lands, currently, it might hit a weak spot in an otherwise well armored area and bounce because the game just calculates that entire area as "strong". After 7.0, that same shot would actually penetrate because the game recognizes that that specific spot on the real life tank was weaker, or the other way around... shots that pen now but technically shouldn't because they hit a strong spot in a weak area may actually bounce now.

Alot of people are QQ'ing about the HE "nerf", but between that and the new armor, I'm actually kind of excited, as it will make the game overall a little more realistic and intelligence/skill orientated. I do agree that MM issues are going to be even more apparant now, i.e.- lower tier tanks who's only recourse used to be spamming HE at higher tiers are now having even that already weak option further weakend, but all in all, that's more of an MM issue and I like the idea of the gameplay itself being more realistic.

:Smile-playing:

FaustianQ #7 Posted Dec 09 2011 - 21:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Spaced armor is armor that when penetrated, causes no damage to be dealt, however the shell can continue to travel and still penetrate if it still has enough penetrating power. Spaced armor is good because it adds additional thickness to areas and reduces HE vulnerability.

A good idea of spaced/skirt armor is on the E-100. It has 130mm of hull armor, but the curved skirts on the sides are an additional 60mm thick, giving an overall thickness of 190mm.

togo281 #8 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 17:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Will tanks have some new armor rating to go along with this? If not, how will players know about the new hit boxes/weak spots?

Nichts #9 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 18:26

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Posttogo281, on Dec 10 2011 - 17:28, said:

Will tanks have some new armor rating to go along with this? If not, how will players know about the new hit boxes/weak spots?

Through experience. Many of us learn what to hit and what not to hit over time.