How to kill premium tanks with Teir II's

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Fud_BM3 #1 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 08:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 27642 battles
  • [LEAP] LEAP
I am enjoying this game tremendously and being a little cheap I have not (yet) found it necessary to purchase gold or premium tanks.  I have good crews (mostly above 80%) and get hits (lots of them), I usually use auto guns for faster fires at closer ranges.  My question is this how the heck do you kill, consistently, pzkw 38H and the new T-127 premium tanks (and yes I have used the 37, and 45mm guns and bounced rounds off of them). In one battle (Himelsdorf?) three tier IIs (two pkw II's and my 35t) literally bounced a 100 20mm rounds off of a 38h and he killed two of us at nearly point blank range.  I have had up to tier 5 tanks and do know how to use light/scout tanks (my own favorite is the luchs and I am flogging a German crew to buy another one), but these monsters seem to be nearly invulnerable to anything that I can mount on a tier II, in my BT2 I just stay the heck away from them if I can.

What is the best hit locations to do some real damage (I am typing this in between battles), I just got TEN CRITICALS (with a 20mm at less that 50m range) on a Pzkw 38H and it still had over 80% when it killed my 35t.  I can get hits on them but it does like 1% damage at a time.
Fud

PTwr #2 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 08:34

Major

• Players
  • 52640 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Everywhere except for frontal armor. So sides, rear and turret.

_Ruffles_ #3 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 08:44

Major

• Players
  • 7208 battles
Generally speaking, aim for spots where the crew is residing (Mantlet, MG mount for example), or places where you can disable/hinder a tank (Break their track, damage their ammo rack). Some good research on these tanks would help you in killing them.

Pro/Bro Tip: Automatic cannons won't get you far in terms of accuracy and speed; they're literally non-existent past tier 4, so go for a single-shot cannon to train yourself not to use auto-aim.

the_moidart #4 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 08:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30587 battles
If youre not getting any penetrations, pull back into cover and either flank him or force him to move up, possibly exposing himself to your team or arty, or his sides to you. Plus at shorter range your penetration values will be higher.

I've done worse then I could have in quite a few engagements due to being impatient and not waiting for the superior enemy to advance out of a superior position.

Ah yes, and one more thing. If you're facing them, aim for the lowest part of their front. This is called the lower glacis and is an almost universal weak spot.

kurgen22 #5 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 08:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 60788 battles
  • [R3TRO] R3TRO
I have the German premmie teir 2,,, its anything but invincible,,, its vey well armored for its teir and auto cannons arent going to do a thing to it at anything but pt blank range,,,  its downfalls are that is slow as snot in December and it only has a teir 1 gun,,, good rate of fire but below avg accuracy and low damage,,, pretty slow turret movement rate also
If you get to a vunerable spot and dance with it it can be killed. they are killed very easliy by 2 tanks that work together dancing around it closely,,, it cant get away and its turret is too slow to track you both,,, even if it hits you it is no more powereful than the avg tier one gun

Eron_the_Red #6 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 16:39

Private

• Players
  • 22566 battles

View Post_Ruffles_, on Dec 10 2011 - 08:44, said:

Generally speaking, aim for spots where the crew is residing (Mantlet, MG mount for example), or places where you can disable/hinder a tank (Break their track, damage their ammo rack). Some good research on these tanks would help you in killing them.

Pro/Bro Tip: Automatic cannons won't get you far in terms of accuracy and speed; they're literally non-existent past tier 4, so go for a single-shot cannon to train yourself not to use auto-aim.

Although true that flak guns dont go real far down the tiers, I actually went back and bought a pzII again just for the flak gun.  Once you into lighting up enimies with 5 rounds a clip, it can be really fun, lol.  But also true, a single shot is definately a different kind of animal that also requires patients and practice (imho).

Moonrider #7 Posted Dec 10 2011 - 17:45

Major

• Players
  • 35554 battles

View Postfudrick2000, on Dec 10 2011 - 08:31, said:

I am enjoying this game tremendously and being a little cheap I have not (yet) found it necessary to purchase gold or premium tanks.  I have good crews (mostly above 80%) and get hits (lots of them), I usually use auto guns for faster fires at closer ranges.  My question is this how the heck do you kill, consistently, pzkw 38H and the new T-127 premium tanks (and yes I have used the 37, and 45mm guns and bounced rounds off of them). if I can.

What is the best hit locations to do some real damage (I am typing this in between battles), I just got TEN CRITICALS (with a 20mm at less that 50m range) on a Pzkw 38H and it still had over 80% when it killed my 35t.  I can get hits on them but it does like 1% damage at a time.
Fud

The pew-pew gun is 80% of your problem. They just don't penetrate very well, and become almost totally useless once you get above tier three. Do yourself a favor, dump the auto-cannon, and learn to aim. it'll pay off in spades once you advance farther.

I'm a T-127 driver, having paid full price for mine before the 1/2 off and free promos. The T-127 is FULL of weak spots, and the upgraded 35t is fast enough to circle around and get to them, it's got the armor to take some hits, and a gun powerful enough to penetrate.

DON'T attack head on. That's where the thick armor is. Go for the tracks first (slows down the ability to traverse the gun, and hull)) then pound the sides and rear. The armor is thinner there, and you'll get more penetrating hits. Go for the hull, not the turret

DO work with a "buddy," preferably one with a nice gun.  A good T-127 driver will keep his front armor to opponents. If he's faced off against two tanks on different sides, he has a problem. If he's tracked to boot, he has a BIG problem. Yes, I've had 4:1 against me, and won, but if one of them had used their speed to get behind me, instead of all trying to take me head on, I wouldn't have lasted long at all.

Hope this helps ya out!

Laughter #8 Posted Dec 13 2011 - 04:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 7227 battles
for the 38h, just aim for the little open visual "slit" in the front (also has them on the sides) of the tank. Basically you want to get as close as possible when fighting that tank (and he wants to keep you far away), because that weak point will eat every shell that goes into it from a close distance. So with some aim you can kill them in 2-3 auto cannon bursts into that region.
Whatever you do, do NOT engage them at range if you can help it. They have very good view ranges and their weak points are small enough to be unreliable to hit at a distance, and the rest of the armor will bounce your AP shots. (Assuming you don't have HE shells available)

DC1121 #9 Posted Dec 13 2011 - 04:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7900 battles
Yeah the 38h is tough,but at close range you can kill it quite effectively by aiming for the view slots. One on the hull and one on the turret.Penetrating these will likely kill the crew men and there are only two of them. The tank can then be knocked out as there is no one to operate it, then you can take your time and shoot it till it blows. Of course the real way is to work with your buddies,this is a team game, and pays in folds if you do.

Fud_BM3 #10 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 00:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 27642 battles
  • [LEAP] LEAP
Thanks much I will have to make sure to take that advice as I start with French tanks now.  Did find that the howitzer on the M-5 (though u generally don't see them that often in that high a tier) will smash them pretty good.  Did I mention I love my M-5 with the howitzer (really an M-8 gun motor carriage)? LOL
Fud

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users