Reliability of the Soviet T34 engine data

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

Chaoic16 #1 Posted Dec 12 2011 - 05:18

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 700 battles
Hello everyone, I always have been very interested into tanks warfare of World War II.  I grew up studying warfare history as one of my great passion.  I am glad to find this section of forum where we can discuss and debate of World War II Tanks.  My question here is about Soviet T34 Tank engines reliability.  I have been searching for data on it.  If I remember correctly, Soviet T34 engines had a short service life where they had around 4 to 5 days of constant usage before major maintaining need to be done to T34 engines.  I am seeking for more data on this.  So I am wondering if one of you have more data on this?

Chaoic out...

Whee #2 Posted Dec 12 2011 - 05:25

Major

• Players
  • 21382 battles
  • [USVCH] USVCH

View PostChaoic16, on Dec 12 2011 - 05:18, said:

Hello everyone, I always have been very interested into tanks warfare of World War II.  I grew up studying warfare history as one of my great passion.  I am glad to find this section of forum where we can discuss and debate of World War II Tanks.  My question here is about Soviet T34 Tank engines reliability.  I have been searching for data on it.  If I remember correctly, T34 engines had a short service life where they had around 4 to 5 days of constant usage before major maintaining need to be done to T34 engines.  I am seeking for more data on this.  So I am wondering if one of you have more data on this?

Chaoic out...

Ah, I just want to point out. It's T-34 not T34. You got me confused as the American T34 is not a Russian tank.

Please correct your post to avoid confusion. Thank You.

ZombieFlanders #3 Posted Dec 12 2011 - 06:05

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 10762 battles
from what i have read the vehicles of all nations needed a lot of maintenance.  in some cases the engineering hadn't quite caught up with the rest of the concepts and designs making some of the more complex parts of tanks unreliable.  transmissions were notoriously so, as were engines.  most of the first 250 panthers to see service at the the battle of kursk were lost to mechanical problems, and T-34s used to go into battle with extra transmissions strapped on.

Chaoic16 #4 Posted Dec 13 2011 - 05:21

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 700 battles

View PostWhee, on Dec 12 2011 - 05:25, said:

Ah, I just want to point out. It's T-34 not T34. You got me confused as the American T34 is not a Russian tank.

Please correct your post to avoid confusion. Thank You.

I apologize, I am talking about Soviet T34 tank of WWII, thank you for asking me to confirm this.

Chaoic out...

Mow_Mow #5 Posted Dec 13 2011 - 17:47

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 11498 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
There is a big difference between T34 and T-34. Just for clarity's sake, Soviet tanks usually have a dash, whereas American ones do not.

JDCollie #6 Posted Dec 13 2011 - 19:11

Major

• Players
  • 10277 battles

View PostChaoic16, on Dec 13 2011 - 05:21, said:

I apologize, I am talking about Soviet T34 tank of WWII, thank you for asking me to confirm this.

Chaoic out...

It may seem incredibly pedantic, but technically there was no Soviet T34. The famous Soviet vehicle of World War II was the T-34. Military nomeclature can get very specific at times, but if you drop the hyphen, you are talking about either the American non-production heavy tank (also designed during WWII) or a tank that didn't exist all.

As for engine, the T-34 did suffer from mechanical unreliability. According to the wikipedia article, "When in June 1941, the 8th Mechanised Corps of D.I. Ryabyshev marched towards Dubno, the corps lost half of its vehicles."

Lunaris #7 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 13:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8216 battles
1941 Soviet have spare parts and maintenance issue and damage to the tank even slightest damage that will cause mobility kill will make the tank a permanent loss. Their only option is to cannibalize spare parts from another tank which also cause another tank loses. Thx to the purge not every tanker know how to maintain the tank properly when the tank stop moving they simply abandon it, in 1942 they start sending new tanker to factory to get their tank and helping factory worker to assemble new tanks, and for quick course on how to fix your tank.

The reason why T-44 never fielded because they don't want their secret weapon ended like panther.

Lezt #8 Posted Mar 02 2012 - 16:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9004 battles
  • [WWIII] WWIII
It depends,

Pre-war engines before the bugs were worked out can run around 25 hrs, (250 km) battlefield.ru

While pre-war prototype did run 3000 km on it's engine with faults.

With enormous effort Factory No.75 could produce a V-2 engine that worked 150 hours without a failure! Such huge problems! A special test bench was built for verifying the correct and accurate dispersion of fuel and it's even feeding. All 12 atomisers of the V-2 were tested here. All atomisers, valves and needles were manually ground in.

Mid war V2 can run for around 10 hrs,

Late war V2 can run 300+ hours

The V-2-34 was a new engine, which had a negative impact on the performance of the T-34. The engines produced during the first years and until about 1943, didn’t come with a lifetime as expected. Normally, the engine should be able to run for 100h without issues. But due to material and quality issues the engines often didn’t came that far. Continuous improvements during the war increased the life time of the engine constantly to values of 300h and beyond.
My link

The version that ran the T54/55 practically ran forever.