*sniff sniff* yup, smells like i'm the nooob again ;)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

narib #1 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 213 battles
Hey all.  I'm just currently waiting for the game to finish downloading.  I was just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips or hints for WOT?  I'm looking forward to getting in the game and making things go boom...(in between the million and one times that I will be going boom myself)

F34rmen00bz #2 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 4834 battles
My advise, diversify. Don't go straight down one line/class. Find a playstyle that fits you THEN go down that line

More_AMMO123 #3 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 3521 battles
can help you there are guides  can read heres one about waht different types of tanks require hereand theres also guides on the main page

_Ruffles_ #4 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:20

Major

• Players
  • 7208 battles
Depends. Experiment with the starter tanks, look at gameplay videos by the Russians (They're pretty badass to be honest), and go play, and see which kind of faction and tree fits you. For example, I looked at the American tree, and I'm honing my skills on the T-series (Aka the American Heavy line) T29-T30-T32-T34) before I start focusing on the American mediums.

narib #5 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 213 battles
I'm usually a hit and run style, slug fests just get too boring after a while, like to have a few tricks up my sleeve

F34rmen00bz #6 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 4834 battles

View Postnarib, on Dec 15 2011 - 02:27, said:

I'm usually a hit and run style, slug fests just get too boring after a while, like to have a few tricks up my sleeve

Then either the Russian or the American mediums will be good for you :)

Nine3 #7 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23099 battles
The learning curve is like any first person shooter. Expect to do very poorly until you learn the maps, tanks, and the pace of the game.

You dont need to use gold ammo (the kind that costs money). Only clan wars people use it for important fights. The rest of us never use it.

Experience is specific to the tank you earn it on. After you research a tank upgrade, you still need to buy it and put it on the tank. Some upgrades wont go on until you upgrade the suspension to carry the weight.

Dont rush out in the open. Take your time. People that know the maps may rush ahead to a strategic spot. It may look like they are rushing but they arent. Spotting enemy tanks (making them appear on radar minimap) can be just as useful as shooting them.

narib #8 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 213 battles
sweet thanks :)  errr...if you see a new guy zipping all over the place taking the lead in deaths....yeah...thats probibly me lol ;)

Hihibob #9 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:36

Captain

• Players
  • 3476 battles
Agreed to diversifying. I'm trying to spice it up a bit by playing with German heavies as I grind towards the Patton!  :Smile-izmena:

narib #10 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 213 battles
lol nice.  Quick question, I'm currently running w/ a intel hd graphics card, and I know that it's not the best.  I'm looking to upgrade, but frankly, have no idea what to look for.  I'm willing to spend up to about $150- $200.  Any suggestions?

Nine3 #11 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 02:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23099 battles

View Postnarib, on Dec 15 2011 - 02:38, said:

lol nice.  Quick question, I'm currently running w/ a intel hd graphics card, and I know that it's not the best.  I'm looking to upgrade, but frankly, have no idea what to look for.  I'm willing to spend up to about $150- $200.  Any suggestions?

I prefer nVidia products. Newegg has nVidia GT(s)(x) 450, 460 series in the $100 dollar range, and nVidia GT(s)(x) 550, 560 series in the $200 range. I paid twice that 6 months ago. Damn you for making me look.

Both are great cards. They all have specific requirements for slots they fit in and room they need. Make sure the dimensions fit. Some are huge. Some also need a 2nd power connector plugged in.

603 #12 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 04:17

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 31096 battles

View Postnarib, on Dec 15 2011 - 02:31, said:

sweet thanks :)  errr...if you see a new guy zipping all over the place taking the lead in deaths....yeah...thats probibly me lol ;)

just one thing: there is no respawn, but if u die u can exit battle at star a new one in a new tank.

Treads_of_Fate #13 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 19:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18427 battles
Tips for new players:

Read the guides, watch the videos.  This game doesn't do a very good job of explaining itself, and if you're anything like me you'll spend much of your early time in game just trying to make sense of the garage interface.

Press the F1 key in the garage, it brings up tooltips for everything.

The damage model in this game is unlike that in any game you've likely played before.  Understanding it is key to really excelling in this game.  It is entirely possible to score a direct hit on a target and yet do absolutely no damage.  It is an armor VS bullet model, which actually has some fairly complex math behind it all.  Where you shoot an opponent is more important in this game than any other I've ever played.

Lots of tanks SUCK when they're still stock, stick with them, get them upgraded, then pass judgement.  Yes, this game can be grindy at times.

WORK WITH YOUR TEAM.  I cannot stress this enough.  Winning in this game depends entirely on how well you work as a group, NOT how well you perform personally.  There is no such thing as "kill stealing" in this game (you get more credit for damage done than actually getting the kill, anyway).

Don't let them shoot you in the ass.  This is a good rule for life in general, actually.

Hiding behind bushes can make you invisible to the enemy team (as long as you stay still and don't fire).  Hiding behind fallen trees does NOT offer the same benefit.

Please, for the love of god... watch where you're driving at the start of the match and don't crash into your teammates.  This can cause damage and even break tracks.

If you die early, you can hit escape > exit battle.  This leaves your dead tank in the match, and unavailable for play until that match is over, but in the meantime you can start a new match in any extra tanks you may have.  This saves time if you don't feel like watching the outcome of the fight.

Sometimes, it's good to watch the outcome of a fight after you die.  It can be incredibly informative to watch how other players fight.  See what they do wrong, what they do right, and learn from it.  It doesn't hurt to cheer them on sometimes either.

The matchmaker (you'll often see referred to as MM), is not your friend.  Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes you'll get placed against tanks all 2-3 tiers higher than you for 6 fights in a row.  We all have to deal with it, you'll survive.

Above all, remember to have fun!

Demonicus #14 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 19:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14478 battles
Play play play play, then repeat.  You get better with experience and the only way to get experience is to play.  The best way to learn maps is to just get on them and play them.  You will be witness to many good and bad strategies so pay attention and try to remember the good ones for future reference.

I suggest you try playing all the different types of armor that is in-game.  The only way to become a great tanker is to understand the role of each piece of armor.  Playing arty teaches you the spots on the map that arty has a hard time targeting.  Playing heavy tanks teaches you that they are usually slow lumbering beasts with very long reload times...once you choose your course on the map, you are almost always committed to that course.  Playing mediums teaches you that it is a bad idea to bolt out to the front lines all by yourself and subsequently become the first casualty (after the scout of course) on your team.  Playing TD's teaches you how to set up an ambush, how important it is to watch your flank, and where to look for TD's when you are playing a tank or arty.  Light tanks are fun...the matches are random and psychotic and the players usually have really good attitudes.  Playing scout tanks will help to teach you about the sighting and visibility mechanics in the game.

Those are just examples of the things you will learn by playing all the different types of armor, but if you want to be a well-rounded player you should stick your hand in all the cookie jars, not just one.  There is a lot to learn, but I have found the learning process extremely fun!  The game is constantly evolving with periodic injections of new content, so there is always something to look forward to.

Welcome aboard, and Happy Tanking!

Zakume #15 Posted Dec 15 2011 - 22:03

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 37539 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View Postnarib, on Dec 15 2011 - 02:38, said:

For that price best you're looking at is a normal GTX 560 not the 560Ti, or a Radeon 6870. Both are good at that price point and can run this game, or any other game easily.

fsjd #16 Posted Dec 16 2011 - 00:36

Major

• Players
  • 11386 battles
  • [TT] TT

View Postnarib, on Dec 15 2011 - 02:27, said:

sounds like the medium line.
im at the VK3601 which is in my opinion the definition of a hit-n-run medium. decently fast to circle heavies, enough armor to shake off other mediums, and a gun big enough to hurt a lot.

in general:
german tanks are snipers.
russian tanks are brawlers.
US tanks are in the middle.

theres a tank for everyone out there. find yours.

narib #17 Posted Dec 16 2011 - 00:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 213 battles

View PostNine3, on Dec 15 2011 - 02:56, said:

I prefer nVidia products. Newegg has nVidia GT(s)(x) 450, 460 series in the $100 dollar range, and nVidia GT(s)(x) 550, 560 series in the $200 range. I paid twice that 6 months ago. Damn you for making me look.

Both are great cards. They all have specific requirements for slots they fit in and room they need. Make sure the dimensions fit. Some are huge. Some also need a 2nd power connector plugged in.
How do I make sure of these specifics?  Don't want to shoot myself in the foot here :P

ShiningArmor101 #18 Posted Dec 16 2011 - 00:55

Major

• Players
  • 44788 battles
Read views, opinions, etc on 'every' tank via forum ----> Actually playing all Three starter Tanks ----> Choose a Country ----> Choose a Tank Type (Median Tanks, Heavy Tanks , Artillery, Light Tanks or Tank Destroyers) ----> Stick with it until you deem it to be boring ----> Choose a different Country and Tank Type --(About 100x battles later)--> Have A Blast.

You are given a total of 3 free Starter Tanks (A Tier 1 German, Russian and American Tank [All are 'un-upgraded']) and 2 Tank Garage Slots.

Check the forums for more information if you have a question about something. I'm sure there are existing threads that are already made that deal with the 'commonalities'. Please don't make a new thread before looking for the specific thread that you want.

That is all.

See you on the battlefield dude.

Zakume #19 Posted Dec 16 2011 - 04:21

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 37539 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View Postnarib, on Dec 16 2011 - 00:50, said:

How do I make sure of these specifics?  Don't want to shoot myself in the foot here :P

Those are the actual names of the cards, so if you went to best buy or some shop that sells them, you would say the graphics card Nvidia GTX 460, or Radeon 6870 etc etc. If you're buying online just type that into the search bar and lots of different brands of that card will pop up.

MasterWolf #20 Posted Dec 16 2011 - 04:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6485 battles
Rule 1 for Noobs - you will Die - you will Die alot

Rule 2 - Dont let it get you down, it's just the learning curve

Rule 3 - As soon as you get a new tank - refer Rule 1 - at least until tier 5+

Rule 4 - HAVE FUN

Rule 5 - if you are having trouble affording a new tank - check the Depot - lots there you can sell

Rule 6 - if you get a tank that earns good credits for you  - KEEP IT - you can grind cash very well in a nice tier 5/6 and never need a premium tank if you do it right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users