[Tutorial] Modding WoT's sounds

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Lhos #1 Posted Dec 17 2011 - 07:49

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles
Updated on 1/13/2012 Messed around with weapons sounds and found it to be ugly as hell. DO NOT MOD WEAPON SOUNDS. Explanation in FAQs.

Oh how I wish it was just a matter of replacing wav files. Ugh. Here goes. Thanks to BodhiWanKenobi and Mastertaco for their guides, otherwise I'd have been completely stuck.

Before we get started: Yeah, it's a pain in the *** - but only the first time. When you build your sound bank way down at step 15, you also get a shiny template file made as well that you can load up for easy editing of your project. That, and you can just save the project - the template won't reload the sounds, but the saved project will.

1) Backup the sound files you intend to replace - that's right, you have to make new sound banks, you can't just edit the existing ones. (If you're after the new "base is being captured" sirens, you want GUI.fsb and .fev)

2) Find a copy of MusicPlayerEX. If you have Java 6 or better installed, you can run it right from here.

3) Once it starts, navigate to (WoT Install Folder)\res\audio\ and open the .fsb file that you want to alter.

4) You can now listen to all the sounds if you want, but what you really want to do is select them all and right click on the playlist, then select "convert". Choose a directory you can find easily, hit open, select a file format (.wav or .ogg work fine), then hit convert. Now you have the audio files from that sound bank dumped, but they'll all be named generically. Fortunately, there's an easy way to figure out what's what...

5) Download Aezay's FSB Extractor. Yes, we already extracted the audio, but the names are wrong - the funny part is that this tool can't extract the current sound files right, but it -does- get the names right, and they're in the same order that the files we extracted are in! Just go through the list and rename them accordingly, using the first name in the list to rename (whatever)1, the second for (whatever)2, and so on.

6) Download version 4.30.06AND the newest version of FMOD Designer. Install the older version first, then install the newer one TO A DIFFERENT FOLDER. I just added the version numbers to the folder names. Yes, this will bork registry settings a bit - don't worry about it. Nothing serious gets messed up, only the most recently used files lists, and that's not a problem.

7) Open the FMOD Event Player. Navigate to the WoT audio folder and open the .fev for the soundbank you're editing (IE if you're editing GUI.fsb, now you want GUI.fev).

8) The left side will list all the events for that sound bank. When the game wants to play a sound, it asks the bank for a sound for a certain event.

9) Leave that open, and open the newer version of FMOD Designer. This is what you'll use to make your version of the sound bank. Too bad it can't open compiled .fsb files... Anyway. Make a new project, and name it exactly the same thing as the sound bank you're editing, minus the extension: GUI for GUI.fsb, for example. Once that's done, make sure the "Events" tab is selected up top, then select the "Groups" tab under that. You'll see a single existing group, delete it. The templates group cannot be deleted.

10) Right click in that now-blank column and add a new Event Group, naming it the same as one of the groups listed in FMOD Event Player. Then right click that and select "Add Simple Event". Make sure you ONLY add simple events. What you want to do is make this entire structure mimic the event viewer (and therefore the original .fsb file as well). The folders are event groups, the files are events. Make sure the names and order of each match up. Unfortunately, you need to make most events a Oneshot (select an event, look in the leftmost panel - there's an option there called oneshot, needs to be switched to yes), but that's kind of a pain to do each time. You -can- make one event, then copy and paste a bunch in each group until you have enough, then select them and change the name property of each one (leftmost panel, first property). Some events, like the clock sounds in GUI.fsb, don't need to be. Think about how the sound is played in the game, that's all.

11) You should have a tree in the Events->Groups view that looks exactly the same as the Event Viewer's Event Hierarchy tab. Now click the Event Viewer's Category tab, open the FMOD Designer's Events -> Categories tab, and make those match up too - make new categories, name them properly, and drag events into the right ones. They'll reorder themselves properly. Note that you cannot delete the master category, and all other categories should be contained inside it.

12) OK. NOW, FINALLY, WE CAN GET TO oh god I'm using caps lock. ...  now we can get to assigning sounds to these events. This is the awesome part where you get to decide what sounds you want to use! First, make sure you have the Events->Groups tabs selected. Select an event, and you'll see a nifty nifty GUI for you to use to edit your event. This is why we installed two versions of FMOD Designer. To add a sound to the event, right click the empty playlist and hit "Add Sound". Select your file(s), hit ok, and they'll pop up in the playlist with an equal chance of being played.

BASIC RUNDOWN OF FUNCTIONS IN THIS VIEW:
  • Right click a sound to mess with its chance of being played (set percentage).
  • Use the Playback Mode buttons to make the event play once, or loop. No idea what Granular is. Experiment? :D
  • Use the Playlist Options to tell the event to play one sound, a sequence of sounds, or a random order of sounds.
  • Do not adjust the resampling.
IMPORTANT: Depending on what you're modifying, the settings in the right panel matter a whole lot. Some sounds need to be allowed to have multiple instances playing at the same time (like weapons), while others don't. Take a look at them, hover your mouse over the setting to see a description at the bottom left corner of the window.

Do this for each event, using the FMOD Event Player and a music player of your own to listen to the various sound files and figure out what goes where. (IE is this event you're setting a sound for the engine for the Tiger or the A-20, and which sound you extracted is that file? Only one way to find out.)

13) Listen to all the sounds you've assigned. Make sure they're assigned to the right events. By default, each event (under the events tab) should have Mode set to 2d. (I'll say this again: DO NOT MOD WEAPON SOUNDS. They need to be set to 3d, which makes this process really complex. See the FAQs.)

14) Once you're sure everything is set right and you've got the sounds you want assigned to the events you want, click the Wave Banks tab. Under the properties list (leftmost panel), there's an option called Bank Type, with options to Decompress Into Memory, Load Into Memory, or Stream From Disk. This is how the sound bank will be used, and depending on how the files are actually used in the game, each method is more or less suitable. Fast, repetitive sounds like gunfire should probably be decompressed/loaded into memory for quick playback, while music can be streamed from the disk.(Thanks to NoblePlatoon for reminding me about the Bank Type option.)

15) Save your project and switch to the old version of FMOD Designer. Open your project, and recheck your sounds. The interface is a bit clunky, but you can double click an event in the event tree to edit it and play the sound associated with it. Make sure they all play! They should. I hope. Anyway, once you're sure they're all set right, select Build from the menu and hit Build Project. Make sure "PC" is selected in the "Build For" box, and that the only sound bank is checked in the lower panel, then hit build. It'll pack your sounds together into a new .fsb file - hit the "output" button to see where it's been put - this is typically the same folder where you created your project file.

16) Go there and copy the (name).fsb AND (name).fev files - you need both - and paste them into your WoT\res\audio folder, overwriting the sound banks you were replacing (unless you backed them up by just renaming them, in which case your new files should be named what those were before).

17) Boot WoT and pray. It should work just fine. If not, let me know. I wrote this guide after getting only -one- sound bank modded, and I only altered three files - the air raid sirens and the little hydraulic sound that tells you your aim is fully steadied. (Can't post mine because I replaced the sirens with Adjutant, "*doo-doot* Your base is under attack" ftw.)

That's all! Seventeen easy steps. :B

===FAQ===
=========

Something isn't right.
Double-check your steps. Make sure you followed the instructions properly. This is a fairly tedious process, and it's kinda easy to miss something.

Ok, most things are right, but my sirens are gone!
This should only happen if you modded your GUI.fsb. I was stumped for a while, then locastan over on the eu forums figured it out. Turns out you'll need a hex editor to fix the issue, but you only need to change two values. XVI32 is a free hex editor, and the steps to get your sirens (or wonderful modded sounds in place of them) playing are here: [url="http://forum.worldof...gui-sound-mods/"]Important For GUI Sound Mods!

I followed your instructions to the letter and something isn't right. You done goofed.
I'm not surprised at all. Send me a PM, I'll notice that far sooner than a post here. Feel free to post a solution to the issue if you find it on your own so others can use it too.

My sounds are really loud/quiet/etc!
Unfortunately that means you'll need to adjust them manually outside of FMOD Designer. Try Audacity, it's a free and fairly easy to use audio editor.

I only have one version of FMOD Designer installed...  what happened?
You must have installed the second version into the same folder as the first. Reinstall both versions (you -did- install two, right? :P), and make sure you specify two different folders. I would install the old one first, then the new one, just to make sure the registry isn't missing any data the new one needs somehow. I did it this way and it worked fine.

Wait, why can't I mod my weapon sounds?
Well, technically you CAN, but they're all 3D sounds. This adds a whole crapton of complexity to the process that this guide doesn't cover. The reason for this is you need to set two very important values: Minimum and Maximum Distance, the distances at which you hear the sound at its loudest and where you stop hearing it at all. The problem is these are measured in in-game distance units...  how far is a unit? No idea. This would require a lot of testing, and as such it would take a lot of time I'm not willing to put into this. If you want to dive in, go right on ahead. Also, every attempt I've made has resulted in garbled sounds - I'm pretty sure this is because the default weapon sound back was compiled with a different version of FMOD than the GUI sounds were, which is what I've based my tutorial on. You'd have to find a compatible version of FMOD to compile your weapon sound bank with, which probably means trial and error.

Edited by Lhos, May 06 2012 - 21:25.

NoblePlatoon #2 Posted Dec 17 2011 - 16:36

Captain

• Players
  • 16690 battles
I would highly encourage anyone who tries this to read the FMOD manual in its entirety. There are some important details in there. I would recommend building your files as Stream from disk for music mods, and Decompress into memory for small, repetitive sounds (if you don't want to overheat your HD, that is).

Lhos #3 Posted Dec 17 2011 - 18:52

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles

View PostNoblePlatoon, on Dec 17 2011 - 16:36, said:

I would highly encourage anyone who tries this to read the FMOD manual in its entirety. There are some important details in there. I would recommend building your files as Stream from disk for music mods, and Decompress into memory for small, repetitive sounds (if you don't want to overheat your HD, that is).

This is entirely correct, and I'm kind of surprised I forgot to mention that. I'll put that in there w/credit, thanks.

aznnoodle727 #4 Posted Dec 19 2011 - 00:13

Captain

• Players
  • 6669 battles
Great guide, but the only problem I see here is that you didn't address how the ingame_voice.fev/fsb file should be treated differently. I mean, all the voice mods we have now, TF2, CoH, MLP, Duke Nukem, they wouldnt exist without Mastertaco finding the FDP file for it.

So if you want to mod the ingame voices, you have to do all those steps until you reach Step 6. From there, there should be a Step 6.5 saying you need to get the FDP file for the ingame voices if you plan on modding that FDP.

Unless it actually works this way, too...

Lhos #5 Posted Dec 19 2011 - 02:22

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles

View Postaznnoodle727, on Dec 19 2011 - 00:13, said:

Great guide, but the only problem I see here is that you didn't address how the ingame_voice.fev/fsb file should be treated differently. I mean, all the voice mods we have now, TF2, CoH, MLP, Duke Nukem, they wouldnt exist without Mastertaco finding the FDP file for it.

So if you want to mod the ingame voices, you have to do all those steps until you reach Step 6. From there, there should be a Step 6.5 saying you need to get the FDP file for the ingame voices if you plan on modding that FDP.

Unless it actually works this way, too...

.fdp files are project files for FMOD Designer - when you save your project (not build), one of these gets made. Opening an FDP will give you a premade set of events to assign sounds to, that is, it'll let you skip the steps where you go back and forth from the event viewer to the designer, recreating the events and their categories yourself. As far as I know, you do not need an FDP file to do this, but having a properly built one makes it a lot easier.

aznnoodle727 #6 Posted Dec 19 2011 - 03:09

Captain

• Players
  • 6669 battles

View PostLhos, on Dec 19 2011 - 02:22, said:

.fdp files are project files for FMOD Designer - when you save your project (not build), one of these gets made. Opening an FDP will give you a premade set of events to assign sounds to, that is, it'll let you skip the steps where you go back and forth from the event viewer to the designer, recreating the events and their categories yourself. As far as I know, you do not need an FDP file to do this, but having a properly built one makes it a lot easier.
Ah, I see what you mean. You're essentially explaining how the FDP file gets built in your guide. It looks like a pain in the ass, initially.

Lhos #7 Posted Dec 19 2011 - 08:32

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles

View Postaznnoodle727, on Dec 19 2011 - 03:09, said:

Ah, I see what you mean. You're essentially explaining how the FDP file gets built in your guide. It looks like a pain in the ass, initially.

It is, but once it's done, you don't have to do it again - you just change up the sound definitions and that's it. The GUI sound bank only has 36 sounds in it, so it's not that bad. The bank for something like weapon sounds, though, might be a nightmare.

LHeureux #8 Posted Dec 22 2011 - 02:50

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6024 battles
I don't see the "lower left panel" you mention at step 10 :(

EDIT : Found it, you should mention it that you find this option in the "Edit" tab under "Preferences..."

LHeureux #9 Posted Dec 22 2011 - 03:03

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6024 battles
I'm currently editing Weapons. What I want is new reload sounds. But the problem is that with FMOD Event Player I can only play the cannons sounds, no reload sounds.

So I'm not sure I'll be able to edit the reload sounds...

Omegatronacles #10 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 02:49

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5756 battles

View PostLHeureux, on Dec 22 2011 - 03:03, said:

I'm currently editing Weapons. What I want is new reload sounds. But the problem is that with FMOD Event Player I can only play the cannons sounds, no reload sounds.

So I'm not sure I'll be able to edit the reload sounds...

The reload sound is located in the "ingame_voice" file.

Fantastic guide, however if I'd realised how long it was going to take me to rename all those files I would not have done it all in one sitting.

EDIT - Ok, I need some assistance with step 12. I have re-created the trees so they match the event player, however when I go to the sound definitions tab the left hand column is empty. What have I missed here?

IM0001 #11 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 06:06

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14200 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY
Curious. I got the basic jist of things to make my own Voice Pack, (available soon), but how do I add more than 1 sound per instance? Haven't quite figured that out yet.

*edit* Nevermind. Figured it out. Now to just get more sounds to I can have some variety. :)

Coffee_ #12 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 06:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43382 battles
I trashed this post.. its near useless info..
Better info on other post

Toby0501 #13 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 12:41

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
To extract files correctly you can use FSB files extractor by Luigi Auriemma and then convert them with this tool. It will add an _ prefix to all files, so you need to rename them. Easiest way is to use BRU, it can remove the first n characters of a file name.

Coffee_ #14 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 17:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43382 battles
OK.. after messing with this for some time.. on and off... I got a easy solution for the extraction.
Toby has it right.. I'll try to go over the details here for ya.
I uploaded the 2 files to my server that you need.
You can grab them at http://tnmshouse.com/fsb_tools
Luigi Auriemma's program works well. Scan it if you have any doubt it's safe.
Just right click on one of the 2 files.. then go to 'Save Target As..'

1. Make a folder in you C root.. don't matter what you name it.. I used oddly enough ... !_fsb
   In this folder, create a sub folder... named it wav
2. Download the 2 files on my server in to !_fsb.
3. Copy the fsb file you want to extract from the games folder to the folder ... !_fbs
4. Run the fsb.bat
5. Check that the wavs have been extracted.
6. Move these files to a new folder in your project folder. Keep it organized and this sort of work will go a lot easier.
Make a folder named after what ever fsb file you are working to replace.. something like !_GUI
Why the !_ at the start? SO it is sorted to the top in explore so its way easy to find. I'm laaaazzzzy and hate scrolling.

The .bat file feeds fsbext.exe the commands it needs such as where to save the wavs.. I.E. the wav folder we created above.

fsbext -f *.fsb -d .\wav -f files.txt -a -A gui.fsb
pause
This will also create a text file called.. files.txt
In side it you will see the names of the files extracted IN THE ORDER they were in the fsb.
Here is all the files in side of GUI.fsb
sirene_01.ogg
sirene_02.ogg
arrows_01.wav
carousel.wav
carousel_01.wav
coins_01.ogg
grey_butt_01.wav
highlight_01_2.wav
highlight_01x.wav
highlight_02.wav
highlight_02_2.wav
highlight_05.wav
highlight_red_butt_01.wav
highlightxx.wav
highlightxxv.wav
minimize.wav
no1.wav
no_01.wav
play_01.wav
smallclick.wav
tabb.wav
tabs_01.wav
wrong_action_01.wav
yes1.wav
yes_01.wav
invite_message_01.wav
howitzer_load_04.wav
ins_shell_02.wav
load_touch_01.wav
load_touch_45_2.wav
load_touch_46_1.wav
minimap_attention_02.wav
shotcut_FX_01.wav
sight_convergence_01.ogg
timer_clock_sec_1.wav
timer_clock_sec_2.wav
Even the file extensions are .wav and .ogg BUT.. when they get to the wav folder, they will all be in wav format. No big.. it wont effect anything when its time to create the new FSB using FMOD Designer.
fsbext converts ogg to wav with no issues and they should play prefect in any wav player you may have.
The rest of this is a matter of learning how to use FMOD Designer. I played with it a little and its a bit tricky but easy once you understand where things need to be created.
Some of the WoT fsb files have layered or spliced tracks. This means that it can select random audio to play back during the game. "We're on Fire!" and "Smoother those Flames!" is an example.
I have not even tried to figure that part out. I have some reading to do.. :)

Anyway.. hope this helps save some time manually renaming files
oh.. and this method does not require any edits to the wav file names.. they are.. as they are in the FSB
--CT

W4lt3r #15 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 17:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11283 battles
  • [SSGS] SSGS
Does this tutorial work for the gun sounds as well?
I might be able to make that sound mod after 13 months..
*edit* Good. This explains why my sound "mod" went all haywire when i first tested it..

*Edit2* Trying to get the gun mod working but the sound files i allocated as waveforms in sound definitions seem to work right. BUT in wave banks, the file is unused and isn't packed into the file.
Also my output file is in fact a FDP and FEV file. Not an FSB and FEV file.

verbul #16 Posted Jan 03 2012 - 08:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5442 battles
  • [MEAN] MEAN
anyone have an .fdp for ambient?

also i use fsbext.exe to extract, much simpler

Coffee_ #17 Posted Jan 03 2012 - 11:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43382 battles

View PostW4lt3r, on Jan 02 2012 - 17:30, said:

Does this tutorial work for the gun sounds as well?
I might be able to make that sound mod after 13 months..
*edit* Good. This explains why my sound "mod" went all haywire when i first tested it..

*Edit2* Trying to get the gun mod working but the sound files i allocated as waveforms in sound definitions seem to work right. BUT in wave banks, the file is unused and isn't packed into the file.
Also my output file is in fact a FDP and FEV file. Not an FSB and FEV file.

Fmode Designer is not putting out the FSB? Sounds like its failing at compiling. Any error messages?
FEVs are used by the game to access the FBS and is created by Fmod Designer. You can open these with Fmod Event Player as mentioned before.
DFPs are Dmod Designer project files.. Its what Fmod 'saves' as apposed to building/compiling a FSB.

And Verbul has a idea here.. we need to not keep recreating DFPs for Dmod Designer.. we need to attach them to posts here once you have a working build. It will save many others the time and frustrations of figuring how to create each one. Some look some what complicated like the voices.

FBSEXT has not been updated or worked on in 5 years.. Anyone wanna take a stab at converting this to a windows app? If you can't find the source code, I have it. I may work on it my self when I have time.

Anyway... FBSEXT can rebuild the FSB file. I have not tired this and he states it does not work with all games. I dont know if it handles the multi-layered tracks. Like the Voices and Music.
Id pay real money if the devs wanted to make the DFPs available.  Buy the bundle for say... 250 gold or something lol
Problem is.. I think the where everything is stored locally effects if Fmod Designer can find the files.
If some one posts a PFD here.. they will also need to post the folder structure used.
I think a basic start could me:
C:!_FSB and then in side that folder create a folder for each FSB you are going to create.. and finally, in that folder create a wav folder.
Copy and paste FSBEXT and the .BAT in to each of the FSB folders like "GUI" along with the actual FSB like GUI.fsb
This would keep things organized and allow to share FDPs with each other.

Im going to try rebuilding the GUI.fsb using FSBEXT to see if it works with that simple format. If it does.. later Ill try with a layered fsb.
[EDIT 1] I cant get it to rebuild so it works.. tried just about everything. FSBEXT sucks at rebuilding the FSB
--CT

verbul #18 Posted Jan 03 2012 - 22:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5442 battles
  • [MEAN] MEAN
well i went through last night and built the fdp for ambient, gonna test it before i post it so i dont post anything wrong. i'll let you guys know

someone want to double check this, it should be built right (ambient.fdp)

http://www.mediafire...63priw4v31n7q7o

btw heres a step by step on using febext, just using a different game

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UgbDuTng8MU

i tried it, and got as far as rebuilding, but got an error, saying unexpected date fsb version 4, it might be an error on my side, or it might not support that version.

Tiny #19 Posted Jan 05 2012 - 14:13

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
So do you think there is a possibility to mod engine sounds etc now?

I was into this in the past but we were kind of told that only voice messages and music files were moddable.

Lhos #20 Posted Jan 06 2012 - 06:56

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles
Holy crap this thread took off! Sorry to those who had questions for not watching it for so long. :Smile-hiding:

View PostLHeureux, on Dec 22 2011 - 02:50, said:

I don't see the "lower left panel" you mention at step 10 :(

EDIT : Found it, you should mention it that you find this option in the "Edit" tab under "Preferences..."

Actually, I just checked to see what you were talking about, and opening up the preferences window by going to the edit menu doesn't give me any kind of options for configuring the workspace layout (like making new panels appear). :unsure:

View PostOmegatronacles, on Dec 28 2011 - 02:49, said:

Ok, I need some assistance with step 12. I have re-created the trees so they match the event player, however when I go to the sound definitions tab the left hand column is empty. What have I missed here?

You didn't miss a thing, actually - you pointed out a huge problem with my tutorial! When I made my bank, I tried using a more modern version of FMOD Designer, which must have automatically created definitions FOR me. I then had to open the project in the older version I mention (the same one the game's files were made with) to get it to work. Looking at this, it might not even be necessary to use sound definitions. I'll have to mess around with this a bit and see.

View PostCool_Tool, on Jan 02 2012 - 17:15, said:

[EDIT 1] I cant get it to rebuild so it works.. tried just about everything. FSBEXT sucks at rebuilding the FSB
--CT

FSBEXT is an older tool that cannot recompile WoT's newer FSBs.

View Postverbul, on Jan 03 2012 - 22:52, said:

i tried it, and got as far as rebuilding, but got an error, saying unexpected date fsb version 4, it might be an error on my side, or it might not support that version.

That's exactly the case.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users