[Tutorial] Modding WoT's sounds

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Lhos #21 Posted Jan 06 2012 - 08:14

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles
Hey, if anyone who posted checks back here, look at the top again! I rewrote the whole thing to make the process simpler. Using two versions of FMOD Designer gets you a MUCH simpler GUI to assign sounds with, but you need the older one to compile with or else WoT can't use your new bank.

Anywho, I'll try keeping more of an eye on this thing.

morphiusx #22 Posted Jan 08 2012 - 14:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 2277 battles
would be awesome if you made a youtube video for each step showing exactly what to do ;)

morphiusx #23 Posted Jan 08 2012 - 17:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 2277 battles
im currently making a south park voice pack but victory and defeat sounds dont play is that because there are none in game i dont think i've ever heard them play before and if not then i can add them to tank destroyed etc. Also if these ones dont play are there any other sounds that dont play or extremly rarley plays that way i can focus the 90+ sounds i have on the more common sounds that are played adding to more variety. Ive made a youtube video of some of the sounds in just 1 game that i was playing around with
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptQfm8RxV1Y

cyborg7th #24 Posted Jan 08 2012 - 17:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 16426 battles
  • [7THES] 7THES
Currently the victory and defeat sounds do not trigger in game.  I would still add them in case this gets fixed.  I put 3-4 sound files for both in the Duke mod so it's there but I didn't waste too much time on them.  Also the sound files for seeing an enemy/friendly die near you rarely play (ally_killed and enemy_killed).  Another one you don't need a lot of sounds for is teamkill sound ally_killed_by_player.

morphiusx #25 Posted Jan 08 2012 - 17:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 2277 battles
cheers thanks for the tip

currently have 7 ally_killed_by_player 6 defeat 5 victory got 4 ally killed aswell so looks like ill change these to more appropriate sounds

W4lt3r #26 Posted Jan 13 2012 - 16:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11283 battles
  • [SSGS] SSGS
okay... I'm in bit of a pinch here with my gun sound mod.
The project file - http://www.mediafire...o87upqy59z7pcl3
The entire sound pack - http://www.mediafire...156h01ypp9uwz30
(Only the firing effect on personal tank have been changed. Rest are stock like howitzer_feedback, shell_light etc.

I followed the guide to the letter. But now that I replace my old WOT weapons.fev and fsb files with the new ones, I don't have gun sounds at all. EVEN THOUGH Event player, MusicplayerEX, And the designer itself can replay the files.
Where's the catch?

Lhos #27 Posted Jan 13 2012 - 18:12

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles

View PostW4lt3r, on Jan 13 2012 - 16:05, said:

okay... I'm in bit of a pinch here with my gun sound mod.
The project file - http://www.mediafire...o87upqy59z7pcl3
The entire sound pack - http://www.mediafire...156h01ypp9uwz30
(Only the firing effect on personal tank have been changed. Rest are stock like howitzer_feedback, shell_light etc.

I followed the guide to the letter. But now that I replace my old WOT weapons.fev and fsb files with the new ones, I don't have gun sounds at all. EVEN THOUGH Event player, MusicplayerEX, And the designer itself can replay the files.
Where's the catch?

Hmmm. I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: Some of these sounds are weird for a tank shooting - you said you changed some of the tank-specific firing sounds?

EDIT 2: Something I noticed right off the bat: When I opened your file, I didn't see the same GUI for editing events as I was expecting. Instead of getting the nice playlist layout, I saw the GUI from the older version of FMOD Designer. Did you make your project in the new version, then BUILD it with the old one? If you build with the new version, WoT won't be able to open the file.

EDIT 3: Yeah, I'm not getting any sounds either, which is weird. It suggests there's a version conflict. I'll have another go at this in a minute, following my guide.

EDIT 4: Reconstructed the project myself using FMOD Designer 4.38.06, then built it with 4.30.06. It works now, though I need to tweak some settings so multiple weapons fire sounds can play at once.

W4lt3r #28 Posted Jan 13 2012 - 19:19

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11283 battles
  • [SSGS] SSGS
Also I did construct the project initially with the newer version and then built it with the old one. Not sure what went wrong.. I checked the wave banks, sound definitions and so on but didn't get the thing fixed. Even after 3 full retries on making it.
Could you post what you changed? So I can avoid doing this kind of mistake in the future.
At least general pointers, since I did follow the guide to the letter. I went as far as redoing the entire thing 3 times. (Also maybe uploading it to Mediafire or such other site to download)

Lhos #29 Posted Jan 13 2012 - 19:33

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles

View PostW4lt3r, on Jan 13 2012 - 19:19, said:

Also I did construct the project initially with the newer version and then built it with the old one. Not sure what went wrong.. I checked the wave banks, sound definitions and so on but didn't get the thing fixed. Even after 3 full retries on making it.
Could you post what you changed? So I can avoid doing this kind of mistake in the future.
At least general pointers, since I did follow the guide to the letter. I went as far as redoing the entire thing 3 times.

Actually, I didn't change anything. I just followed my guide, made a new project (since it didn't work when I used yours), assigned the sounds like you had them set up in your project, and it worked - although I still need to mess with settings to get things perfect. (Number of instances that can be playing at once, repeating, etc.)

It seems most likely you used the wrong versions to create and then build your project given that when I opened yours in version 4.38.06 I got the old GUI instead of the new one.

Lhos #30 Posted Jan 13 2012 - 19:53

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles
Ok, so after messing around with weapon sounds, I've noticed that the sounds need to be set to 3d, which adds a whole lot of complexity to this process. I do NOT suggest trying to mod weapon sounds.

W4lt3r #31 Posted Jan 13 2012 - 23:12

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11283 battles
  • [SSGS] SSGS
If there would just be a program that could analyze the 3d system in the stock fsb / fev files, this would be so much simpler.
I'm still willing to give a shot though on trying to get the 3d system right.. It's going to be a long work though to get it working properly.

yuros #32 Posted Jan 16 2012 - 05:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 13086 battles
Adding screenshots would make things easier imo. :)
Anyway, nice guide..
+1

Lhos #33 Posted Jan 19 2012 - 23:44

Major

• Players
  • 11542 battles

View Postyuros, on Jan 16 2012 - 05:24, said:

Adding screenshots would make things easier imo. :)
Anyway, nice guide..
+1

I might add them at some point. It'd clear up confusion over the differences between versions of FMOD Designer.

Also, if anyone knows of a way to find out what version of FMOD Designer a .fsb was compiled with, that would be a HUGE help towards figuring out the other sound banks (like weapons).

MendozaMan #34 Posted Jan 26 2012 - 22:18

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I'm creating a random sound pack using this, but there is one problem in step 15 : the new version of FMOD saves only as .fdp, and the old version can only open .fev.

Now how do I open that fdp file so I can build it?

Shell_shocker #35 Posted Feb 01 2012 - 06:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 11811 battles
ok you see,  this is why i never bother with mods and dont want to.  i dont know why people keep saying doing mods on these games are easy.  because its NOT.  when you have to use up half the dam web page to explain how to do it, then its not simple.  especialy when one wrong move can mess up your game.  thats not simple.  not for normal people.  maybe if your some computer nerd who lived in your grandmas basement for 10 years living off cheez puffs and icecream  with eyes blood shot from always being in front of a screen half your life.  but for those of us who have normal lives and do other normal stuff besides all this crap, its NOT easy!  
   this is actualy kinda frustrating because i do want to at least mod one thing;  the new chaffee 75 mm sound affects.  i dont understand what went through the developers stupid minds, but they replaced the older sound affects prior to 7.0 patch with a new sound affect for the 75 mm chaffee gun.  now instead of sounding like a thunderous wonderfull gun like it use to (and did in real life, check any youtube video of a real chaffee firing if you dont beleive me),  they replaced it with this weak, joke of a pea shooter sound that youd hear on little 37 mm guns....  reall devs?  cmon!
  well if any of you know about this and know a way to get the old sound back for my chaffee without having to send me a giant essay of how to do it and explain it so a simple person can do so without screwing up his game,  please message me....

NoblePlatoon #36 Posted Feb 01 2012 - 15:41

Captain

• Players
  • 16690 battles

View PostShell_shocker, on Feb 01 2012 - 06:40, said:

well if any of you know about this and know a way to get the old sound back for my chaffee without having to send me a giant essay of how to do it and explain it so a simple person can do so without screwing up his game,  please message me....
Of course there is a way to mod these sounds with just one click of a button, so that any dolt can do it. But Lhos enjoys spending many hours typing page long essays on how to mod sounds. After all, he is probably maniacally laughing his truly evilest of laughs, thinking about how you are in such agony over this easy task.  <_<

MendozaMan #37 Posted Feb 04 2012 - 21:42

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMendozaMan, on Jan 26 2012 - 22:18, said:

I'm creating a random sound pack using this, but there is one problem in step 15 : the new version of FMOD saves only as .fdp, and the old version can only open .fev.

Now how do I open that fdp file so I can build it?

Ok dumb me, but I didn't see that I was using event viewer instead of designer.

Also BIG PROTIP for anyone making this : when you view your wavebank or soundbank in the designer before you build your project, MAKE SURE the default name does not include anything different then the one that already exists in the game files. If you save it with the modified name and you rename the file afterwards, the fev file won't be able to read it and none of your sounds will load in. Took me a while to figure that out

SFC_Storm #38 Posted Feb 06 2012 - 03:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 15366 battles
i FOLLOWED STEPS TO THE LETTER AND CANT GET VOICES TO WORK AT ALL.

After I build my bank the name comes out Ingame_VOice_bak00 something, is that what mendoza is talking about?

In Fmod designer both old and new it works fine the recordings I made are great but once I load the new FEV and FSB it doesnt work...NO SOUNDS

I dont get error messages in designer or anything. ANyhints?

Fixed it, When it "Builds" its namned a weird invoice_bank00 and I tried to rename it, but once I just transferred file it worked great thx.

IM0001 #39 Posted Feb 08 2012 - 23:09

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14144 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY

View PostShell_shocker, on Feb 01 2012 - 06:40, said:

Lots of mindless babble...

With that kind of an attitude too those of us who put time and effort into making the game new and different for free using unofficial tools to do unofficial things, don't expect any help nor sympathy for your poor gun sound.

IM0001 #40 Posted Feb 09 2012 - 05:50

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14144 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY
Ok. I have a new question. Working on another pack, all done and works great, except, the sounds are a downright wisper vs any other pack I have used. It makes no sense since my Futurama pack was built the exact same way with the same format of wav files. Did something change in the mix of 7.0 that screwed up the gain/volume levels?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users