[FAQ] How to create Platoon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

merig00 #1 Posted Sep 02 2010 - 22:09

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 413 battles
  • [TB-H] TB-H
So somehow you managed to get some people who want to play with you, maybe because of your awesome social skills or because you have IS-7.

First thing to remember - to create a Platoon you need to have a premium account. You do not need a premium account to join a Platoon.

You can play with one or two of your friends.

In order to begin the invite process for a Platoon, you need to click on the triangle under the big red Battle! button and chose Create Platoon

http://a.imageshack....618/step1oy.jpg

After you click that, you'll get the Platoon Channel with the invite option.

http://a.imageshack....9/shot003cs.jpg

Click on "Invite", and the invitation form window will pop up. There you can chose to invite people from your Contacts list or use Find Contacts to look up people you want to play with. You can also send them a message with the invite by typing it up in the "Additional Invitation Text" form. To add someone to the invite list, select them and click the Add button. After you are done click Invite.

Posted Image

The person you are inviting will get a notification in the Invite button. Open it up, click on the invitation and the "Invitation to join Platoon" window will pop-up. You can accept, decline or cancel. In our case we'll accept :)

http://a.imageshack....57/shot002s.jpg

After you accept the invitation, notice that your big red Battle! button is now changed into big red Ready! button. You are also added to the Platoon Channel. You are not ready to play yet, that is indicated by red dot in the Platoon Channel window - if the creator of Platoon will click Battle! right now you will be left behind.

Posted Image

That's why after you select the tank you want to play, and buy ammo and expendables if needed, click that big red Ready! button. You will see that in the Platoon Channel you get green dot, as well as your choice of tank will be shown. The Ready! button will changed into Not Ready! button. Now all you need to do is wait for the creator of the Platoon to click his Battle! button. Also if you change your mind and want to change the tank, click the Not Ready! button and chose another tank. Click Ready! button afterwords to indicate to your friends that you are ready to play.

Posted Image

That's it. If you want to quit Platoon, click on the Platoon under the Battle!/Ready! button.

Vaksai #2 Posted Sep 03 2010 - 00:43

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Quick question, what's the max platoon size?

merig00 #3 Posted Sep 03 2010 - 00:53

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 413 battles
  • [TB-H] TB-H

View PostVaksai, on Sep 03 2010 - 00:43, said:

Quick question, what's the max platoon size?
3 people

Calculon #4 Posted Sep 03 2010 - 07:26

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6789 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY
It's pretty dodgy that if you are in someones platoon and they are in battle without you you cannot actually go and join any other random battle without leaving the platoon first.

Ikraos #5 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 09:17

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
What are future plans for playing together when u are more then 3, say 4 to 7 mates who want to join up and bring mayhem to the world?

Falleen9 #6 Posted Sep 09 2010 - 17:56

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 2973 battles
When will you be adding the ability to buy gold so that we can have premium whenever and however long we want?

ed_anger #7 Posted Sep 09 2010 - 18:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13672 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostIkraos, on Sep 08 2010 - 09:17, said:

What are future plans for playing together when u are more then 3, say 4 to 7 mates who want to join up and bring mayhem to the world?

there will be 15v15 team battles in 0.6/0.7

and clan battles soon: http://forum.worldof...clan-wars-mode/

View PostFalleen9, on Sep 09 2010 - 17:56, said:

When will you be adding the ability to buy gold so that we can have premium whenever and however long we want?

with release

Novakat77 #8 Posted Sep 18 2010 - 07:28

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7895 battles
  • [HFDT] HFDT
Does the platoon get disbanded if you no longer have a premium account if you are the creator? and if so being that it takes 17 days to get enough gold to get premium for 30 days durring the beta seems a little rediculous since beta is for people to try all aspects of the game out and report any wierd or unwanted behaviors of the game.

Rethic #9 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 20:58

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 116 battles
Honest suggestion: removethe restriction for forming platoons, so that ANYONE can create one. Limiting the creation of platoons to people who happen to have enough gold: utterly retarded and pointless.

Wombatopotamus #10 Posted Oct 01 2010 - 13:19

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 1763 battles
I've just signed up (downloading as I type) and this was the first thing I tried to find on the forums.  

I am very likely to sign up for a Premium, I do need to play the game first though.  
And the best way to play will be with my friends.  

The choice to restrict casual players from playing together is going to stop us getting into the game in the first place.  

I play online with my friends, I'll be playing Alien Swarm most of the time thanks to this decision.  

Please reconsider, the social relationships which will bring more people into your game will form less if beta testers can't all invite friends.

GladiusA #11 Posted Oct 07 2010 - 01:53

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10653 battles
Question: Will platoons be limited to 3 people once the game launches? I got 5 of my friends together today after excitedly telling them about the game, only to disappoint half of them because we couldn't play together. That discouraged several of them from even trying the game. Will this size limit be lifted for 1.0, or will we be forced to form a clan to play together?

Suggestion: The invite function is clunky. You seem to have to add someone as a friend, and then you have to open the window, add them to the invite, and then invite them. It would be GREAT if you could just right-click on a friend and invite them to a platoon from a drop-down menu. Likewise adding another player shouldn't force me to open up a separate invite window - I should be able to do it from the Platoon window.

Suggestion: It's very hard to know that you've been invited to a platoon. The chat icon is far too subtle - it needs to change state in a more obvious way, possibly with an audio cue.

Suggestion: When a friend sends you a personal chat message, it's far too subtle - as in the above suggestion, the notification needs to be way more obvious. I was completely oblivious to the fact that someone was trying to chat with me.

Suggestion: I'd like to be able to have access to my chat windows while I'm in a battle. After I'm dead it would be nice to be able to send my friend a message, saying I'll be out of a battle in a few moments.

Disclaimer: I'm a game developer on a kid's MMO, so I'm very sensitive to usability :)

merig00 #12 Posted Oct 07 2010 - 02:12

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 413 battles
  • [TB-H] TB-H
Platoon is currently limited to 3 people because of the total pool of players in the closed beta. Having larger platoon right now will create imbalance in the match making system.

I agree with all of your suggestions, and I think all the usability questions will be addressed later since it's not crucial to game-play and doesn't need to be tested. However this is not a suggestions topic. I'd recommend creating a new one in the appropriate sub-forum.

ed_anger #13 Posted Oct 07 2010 - 15:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13672 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostGladiusA, on Oct 07 2010 - 01:53, said:

Question: Will platoons be limited to 3 people once the game launches? I got 5 of my friends together today after excitedly telling them about the game, only to disappoint half of them because we couldn't play together. That discouraged several of them from even trying the game. Will this size limit be lifted for 1.0, or will we be forced to form a clan to play together?

Suggestion: The invite function is clunky. You seem to have to add someone as a friend, and then you have to open the window, add them to the invite, and then invite them. It would be GREAT if you could just right-click on a friend and invite them to a platoon from a drop-down menu. Likewise adding another player shouldn't force me to open up a separate invite window - I should be able to do it from the Platoon window.

Suggestion: It's very hard to know that you've been invited to a platoon. The chat icon is far too subtle - it needs to change state in a more obvious way, possibly with an audio cue.

Suggestion: When a friend sends you a personal chat message, it's far too subtle - as in the above suggestion, the notification needs to be way more obvious. I was completely oblivious to the fact that someone was trying to chat with me.

Suggestion: I'd like to be able to have access to my chat windows while I'm in a battle. After I'm dead it would be nice to be able to send my friend a message, saying I'll be out of a battle in a few moments.

Disclaimer: I'm a game developer on a kid's MMO, so I'm very sensitive to usability :)

you can often get two platoons in the same game (and the same side 1/2 of the time) by counting down 3-2-1-click in vent and clicking in together. lots of fun, i suggest doing it if you you have more then 3 people. fun to fight with friends, fun to kill friends also  :Smile-izmena:

there will be 15v15 preset team battles coming with 0.6/0.7, if you already have 5 people just need to find another 10... i'm sure there's plenty of clans that would take 5 interested people.

i agree with all of your UI comments. i've made some of the same ones here: http://forum.worldof...ui-suggestions/

GladiusA #14 Posted Oct 07 2010 - 15:32

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10653 battles

View Postmerig00, on Oct 07 2010 - 02:12, said:

Platoon is currently limited to 3 people because of the total pool of players in the closed beta. Having larger platoon right now will create imbalance in the match making system.

I agree with all of your suggestions, and I think all the usability questions will be addressed later since it's not crucial to game-play and doesn't need to be tested. However this is not a suggestions topic. I'd recommend creating a new one in the appropriate sub-forum.

Thanks, I noticed the suggestion forum after I posted this. I'll go over there from now on.

Will platoons be larger than 3 once the game is released, or will we just have to do 15v15?

ed_anger #15 Posted Oct 07 2010 - 15:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13672 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostGladiusA, on Oct 07 2010 - 15:32, said:

Will platoons be larger than 3 once the game is released, or will we just have to do 15v15?

http://forum.worldof...latoon-members/

Wormie7275 #16 Posted Nov 02 2011 - 02:31

Private

• Players
  • 11663 battles
  • [-EC-] -EC-
when i play with my friend in platoon im not prem and i can still create a platoon so u dont really have to be prem

madgod33 #17 Posted Nov 14 2011 - 02:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13268 battles
  • [TDB-1] TDB-1
Non-premium players can platoon with one other.

bowmantownsend #18 Posted Nov 15 2011 - 19:21

Private

• Players
  • 7996 battles
no you do not need to be prem to have a platoon but you do if you want more than 2

Rogue_Eagle #19 Posted Dec 12 2011 - 00:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 3071 battles
I wish the Free platoon size was increased to 3, maybe 5 for premium or something. 2 Just isn't quite big enough and I can't justify spending that much gold for a day or a week. Plus you can't bring along a new friend into your fun.