Q: How to save game for an upgrade to 64 Bit OS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

SndTgr #1 Posted Dec 18 2011 - 12:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 36327 battles
  • [ICM] ICM
Everything is telling me that to go from a Win 7 Pro 32 Bit to Win Pro 64 Bit it has to be a clean install.

So....how do I backup the game so I don't lose anything I have done so far?

Thanks for your time,

baptank #2 Posted Dec 18 2011 - 12:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29092 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI
Microsoft has all sorts of info on this

PTwr #3 Posted Dec 18 2011 - 12:47

Major

• Players
  • 52640 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Your save is stored on server not your computer.

dr_fruitloop #4 Posted Dec 18 2011 - 13:13

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6388 battles

View PostPTwr, on Dec 18 2011 - 12:47, said:

Your save is stored on server not your computer.

^this. Nothing is stored on your computer regarding tanks etc, as PTwr said its all stored server side just like any other MMO/online game.

Mrtheox #5 Posted Dec 18 2011 - 13:37

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5293 battles
Most likely you may have to reinstall after updating to windows 64. Which if you are downloading the client again can take awhile. Therefore the you can take 2 approaches. The first would be to simply copy the game directory on to a portable hard drive, update your windows to 64 bit and just move the files back over to the games folder. The other way would be to copy the installer program, you downloaded when your first installed the game, to your portable hard drive along with the files and directory  games/World_of_tanks/updates. You would then create a new games/World_of_tanks/updates folder on your hard drive, paste the update files there. Run the installer again and tell it to install World of tanks in Games/World_of_tanks. Then run the launcher and it should simply reinstall the updates again, without having to download them. Though I think copying pasting the entier directory and files would be more fool proof. If all else fails just download the full client from here. http://worldoftanks.com/en/update

PTwr #6 Posted Dec 18 2011 - 15:29

Major

• Players
  • 52640 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View PostMrtheox, on Dec 18 2011 - 13:37, said:

Most likely you may have to reinstall after updating to windows 64. Which if you are downloading the client again can take awhile. Therefore the you can take 2 approaches. The first would be to simply copy the game directory on to a portable hard drive, update your windows to 64 bit and just move the files back over to the games folder. The other way would be to copy the installer program, you downloaded when your first installed the game, to your portable hard drive along with the files and directory  games/World_of_tanks/updates. You would then create a new games/World_of_tanks/updates folder on your hard drive, paste the update files there. Run the installer again and tell it to install World of tanks in Games/World_of_tanks. Then run the launcher and it should simply reinstall the updates again, without having to download them. Though I think copying pasting the entier directory and files would be more fool proof. If all else fails just download the full client from here. http://worldoftanks.com/en/update

Game is x86 binary so same installation will work on both x86 ( 32 bit ) and x64 ( 64 bit ) OS. You can just copy it and it will work on other machines.

There is one exception that can make game not work on other machines for unknown reasons: old installation from few patches ago. Weak computers have problems with running patched game but fresh one works well. Also patched game tends to get slower for another unknown reasons. I am just looking at fresh WoT installation running on same machine as my computer and it have about 25% more FPS than my old few time patched installation. And latest patch for 7.0 have bugs so I see red piles of alien goo instead of rocks and Himmelsdorf streets are cowered in red glow. So now I am downloading full installation file now.

MrTabs #7 Posted Dec 18 2011 - 16:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12026 battles
  • [ME109] ME109

View PostWOT1511, on Dec 18 2011 - 12:39, said:

Everything is telling me that to go from a Win 7 Pro 32 Bit to Win Pro 64 Bit it has to be a clean install.

So....how do I backup the game so I don't lose anything I have done so far?

Thanks for your time,

Nothing is saved to your system. All progress is server side, for obvious reasons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users