Add "Terrain Mesh Quality" to In-Game Options

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Rexxie #1 Posted Dec 19 2011 - 18:45

Major

• Players
  • 29401 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Currently, the setting "Terrain_Mesh_Resolution" is a option only modifiable by going into the settings file in the WoT appdata directory and setting it manually. I think this is counter productive; this setting is the most FPS changing setting that WoT has to offer. Many users mark WoT off as a game too advanced for their computer simply because they do not realize this setting exists.

My suggestion is to simply add it to the in-game options menu. The options would be High, Medium, and Low. High would be equal to a terrain_mesh setting of 0, medium would be 1, and low would be 2. Also, it might help to warn the user that the displayed terrain might not perfectly match the actual in-game terrain if the setting is set to a lower setting.

(More info on how to change this setting currently)

That is all; thanks!

-Rex

zoliano #2 Posted Jan 26 2012 - 10:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 30763 battles
  • [TF] TF
I could not agree more with the original poster! Very important feature and very easy to implement.

Himmelslicht #3 Posted Jan 26 2012 - 16:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 6632 battles
I disagree. Terrain mesh resolution should not be added to the options.

I have used it myself for a while, until I noticed that it tremendously hinders my gameplay.
What happens if you change the options is that the ground becomes less detailed. This is most noticeable at edges/ridges/corners. You will have moments, where you can shoot trough the ground, or where the shell will hit invisible ground, because even if the display on your client is less detailed, the collision check on the server still uses all details.

Tovarisch_Zotov #4 Posted Jan 26 2012 - 18:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8950 battles

View PostHimmelslicht, on Jan 26 2012 - 16:56, said:

I disagree. Terrain mesh resolution should not be added to the options.

I have used it myself for a while, until I noticed that it tremendously hinders my gameplay.
What happens if you change the options is that the ground becomes less detailed. This is most noticeable at edges/ridges/corners. You will have moments, where you can shoot trough the ground, or where the shell will hit invisible ground, because even if the display on your client is less detailed, the collision check on the server still uses all details.

I disagree with your disagreement! :D
Seriously though, IMHO it should be added to the in-game options, but with a warning about things being less detailed.

I had no clue about these settings until I stumbled on this post. Will try them out tonight on my laptop, and see how it works - because even with everything set to lowest, I still get 100% CPU spikes and graphics lag when there's smoke close-up, or shooting through bushes in zoomed-in.

My desktop is a loaded quad-core monster, and has no issues running WoT in full-screen res stretched across 2x 24" monitors (no, it doesn't help the FOV, but makes things larger so I can aim better... however, now that I'm aware of these settings, maybe I can play around with the FOV ... hmmm.... } - but my laptop, while perfectly fine for 99% of other things I do, sadly can't handle WoT's graphical bells & whistles. In this situation, having more advanced control over graphics is indispensable, and I wish the dev's included that in the menu to begin with.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this to light - and thanks to Himmelslicht for pointing out the potential issue with shooting around edges of things.

Vecchio #5 Posted Jan 26 2012 - 21:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14629 battles
  • [XCREW] XCREW
I don't see how this game takes that much to run.  My brother plays this game fine with a Phenom II 555, a GTX 260, and 4 GB's of GSkill RAM.  I built the computer for him and the whole thing was around $400.  With the new Nvidia 500's and the Radeon 7000 series, you can get the cards that came before these for really cheap.  My computer never goes below 35 FPS with all the settings jacked up and I don't have that great of a box.  I know a lot of people can't spend a lot of money on a computer for a game, but you really can spend a little money and get yourself to the point where you have a very playable frame rate.

ArmoredCorps #6 Posted Jan 27 2012 - 00:52

Major

• Players
  • 40768 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Posting just to keep the thread alive. This is a real suggestion, and a really useful one, not some useless Wishlist or bi-- complaint fest. +1