Suggest Your Camo Pattern for WoT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
214 replies to this topic

Overlord #1 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 14:34

Commander

• Developer
  • 0 battles
In this topic you can suggest camouflage patterns for World of Tanks.

We would like to see your ideas on German, American, French, and British tanks. The necessary requirement is to provide link to the reference material - blueprint, scanned book, etc ie any sort of visual confirmation that this particular pattern was used (could be used) in real life. Apart from that don't forget to state the name / type (e.g. British / desert) of the camo, and post a brief description for it. You can add any relevant information as well.

Everyone is welcome to vote for the camos they like, using forum reputation system. Press green (plus) button, if you like the suggested pattern (it's not necessary to downrep those who posted camos that are not to your liking).  Don't abuse the system, please.

Best and the most popular camos will be added to the game in the updates to come.

Be clean and concise and no discussions here.  

Thanks for the help!

It's necessary to provide source, ie author/book.

Tiger_23 #2 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 15:15

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Pre- to early war years:  (Buntfarbenanstrich)
1927 to November 1938
Spoiler                     

-Panzer Colors 1934-1945 by George Parada
-http://www.panzerworld.net/colours

Skygunner #3 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 16:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
German Splinter Camo

Years : ?

Type : woodland
Spoiler                     

If you have better information on this please share, this is not an area of expertise of mine. (what sort of "reference" are we deeming as acceptable? technically a non-doctored photo is a "reference", however finding a specific camo, such as a military parade one, or a non-official field camo may be very difficult, even if hard evidence such as photos of it exist))

bullofscapa #4 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 17:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I would like to see the Ambush Paint Scheme from Kampfgruppe Peiper. It is one of my favorite Schemes for German armor. The new skins have a pattern that is similar, and maybe just needs tweeked?

Posted Image

I am not sure what to call the second scheme, but the Samur Tiger looks good in it as well,

Posted Image

I also like the Afrika Corps colors the bovington tiger is currently in too

Posted Image

cipher12 #5 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 18:18

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
It would be nice if there where some British desert camos such as the light blue and yellow camo of the Matilda II or the black and yellow camo of the Crusader III (no Idea what the real name of these camos where)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tiger_23 #6 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 19:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSkygunner, on Dec 20 2011 - 16:07, said:

German Splinter Camo

Years : ?

Type : woodland

If you have better information on this please share, this is not an area of expertise of mine. (what sort of "reference" are we deeming as acceptable? technically a non-doctored photo is a "reference", however finding a specific camo, such as a military parade one, or a non-official field camo may be very difficult, even if hard evidence such as photos of it exist))

i like this camo (you stolen my idea lol xD)

German camo 44-45 “Ambush” Scheme

Heeres Memorandum No.181, dated 18 Feb 1943, standardized the overall basic colour for vehicles and equipment as a deep sand-yellow (dunkle gelb RAL 7028). From this date all new vehicles were to be supplied from the factory in this colour. Memorandum No.181 also introduced a new camouflage pattern painting system using two other colours, Olive green (olivgrun RAL 6003) and red brown (rotbraun RAL 8017). Supplied in 2kg tins, the paint was in a form of a thick paste, which could be thinned to the required consistancy by adding petrol or water.

Spoiler                     

Applied for any gun or by hand, the color was affected by the type and amount of diluent used. On the base color dunkle gelb, olivgrun rotbraun and were applied in spots, stripes or patterns depending on the chip ground crew and the crew preference.

(the colors have different shades due to thinner types different formats, type of terrain or preference of the crew)

- books Osprey (New Vanguard) and Concord Publishing (Armour at War). Both have B&W photos and colour plates.

blitzr123 #7 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 19:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I found this article a while back and this camo of a soviet T-34 looks similar to other snow camo but more swirly like wind effects.  Might look good on other nation tanks.  Dunno if the camo is period accurate but the tank is certinly around the WWII era.
http://www.nothingto...ondseytank2.jpg

HanZulu #8 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 19:43

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostOverlord, on Dec 20 2011 - 14:34, said:

We would like to see your ideas on German, American, French, and British tanks. The necessary requirement is to provide link to the reference material - blueprint, scanned book, etc ie any sort of visual confirmation that this particular pattern was used (could be used) in real life. Apart from that don't forget to state the name / type (e.g. British / desert) of the camo, and post a brief description for it. You can add any relevant information as well.

Everyone is welcome to vote for the camos they like, using forum reputation system. Press green (plus) button, if you like the suggested pattern (it's not necessary to downrep those who posted camos that are not to your liking).  Don't abuse the system, please.

Best and the most popular camos will be added to the game in the updates to come.

Be clean and concise and no discussions here.  

Thanks for the help!

Hi Overlord,

thx for this offer, I played in open beta with this camo. For public use just remove the little SS insignia. It's a very nice skin detailed with zimmerit effect.
But I would like to have a color palette too, with typical camo colors , your patterns and I can customize my own camo. I would also like to have the possibiblity to change brightness.

It's necessary to provide source, ie author/book.

Attached Files

ionviol2 #9 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 22:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
A great book for tank camouflage is in my opinion:

Terence Wise's
D-Day to Berlin Armor Camouflage and Markings of the United States, British and German Armies, June 1944 to May 1945

ISBN 1-85409-212-x

Posted Image
Posted Image

Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Aus..E, sPzAbt.504 - North Africa, 1943.
Posted Image
Panzerkampfwagen TigerAusf.E, late production, sPzAbt.505, Russia, February 1944.
Posted Image
Tiger I, sPzAbt.508, Italy, 1943.
Posted Image
Tiger I, sPzAbt.509, Russia, late 1943.
Posted Image
Tiger of sSSPzAbt.102, 2.SS Panzergrenadier Division "Das Reich"
Posted Image
Tiger I, late production series, of the sSSPzAbt.503.
Posted Image

Source (link)

1944 Camouflage Eastern Front (Reproducing the Zimmerit pattern as well would be really nice)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

warmonger180 #10 Posted Dec 20 2011 - 22:49

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
the only source you'll need for the Tiger1: http://www.alanhamby.com/paints.shtml , oh and what Tanz has done for Tiger1 camo skins too

Tiger_23 #11 Posted Dec 21 2011 - 12:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostGary007, on Dec 21 2011 - 03:13, said:

''In this topic you can suggest camouflage patterns for World of Tanks.''

Why didn't this happen before the new camo's came out? ask us what we would like to see in the game before putting some really bad looking skins???

''its a good idea camo skins but '' dev'' try looking at the forums about how alot of ppl think it could be better''

We would like to see your ideas on German, American, French, and British tanks. The necessary requirement is to provide link to the reference material - blueprint, scanned book, etc ie any sort of visual confirmation that this particular pattern was used (could be used) in real life.

srmalloy #12 Posted Dec 21 2011 - 22:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postcipher12, on Dec 20 2011 - 18:18, said:

It would be nice if there where some British desert camos such as the light blue and yellow camo of the Matilda II or the black and yellow camo of the Crusader III (no Idea what the real name of these camos where)

Posted Image
Given how the existing camouflage patterns show clear signs of being particularly slapdash about the UVW mapping to various panels of the tank -- take any of the 'stripe' patterns on the US M10 TD, where the stripes run horizontally on the hull but vertically on the turret (or vice versa), I don't think that we're going to see a Caunter pattern for British tanks; that would require a custom pattern map for each vehicle to be done right.

scarecrowmeow #13 Posted Dec 23 2011 - 17:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
dont know how to post photos, or links to other site. but the camo that me wants "all of the nation tanks" is big bandaids. couse gets killed alot.

Major_DeFeet #14 Posted Dec 23 2011 - 22:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I posted this in another thread, but in Steven Zolaga's book on the M18 Hellcat, there's a nice color plate showing the tank destroyer in a black and olive drab camo scheme at the Anzio beachhead. I believe this camo pattern was also used on other US vehicles, although it wasn't very common. I'd use this scheme with all my American vehicles if it was available because it's simple, but sharp.

Posted Image

http://images.kitlin...ber/CHC9110.JPG

Fresco26 #15 Posted Dec 24 2011 - 06:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
confused on the "was used (could be used) in real life" Could be used implies any other camo pattern that could be used on tanks? regardless if its dated to the period tanks?

chunkbass #16 Posted Dec 25 2011 - 02:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thank you for sharing. :D

Shayds #17 Posted Dec 25 2011 - 21:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Need green/ish camo for germans.. all we have is snow and orange crap

Vonholtz #18 Posted Dec 26 2011 - 00:40

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMajor_DeFeet, on Dec 23 2011 - 22:27, said:

I posted this in another thread, but in Steven Zolaga's book on the M18 Hellcat, there's a nice color plate showing the tank destroyer in a black and olive drab camo scheme at the Anzio beachhead. I believe this camo pattern was also used on other US vehicles, although it wasn't very common. I'd use this scheme with all my American vehicles if it was available because it's simple, but sharp.

Posted Image

http://images.kitlin...ber/CHC9110.JPG
love that Firefly camo where they are trying to hide the longer gun. Germans would shoot Fireflys on sight.

HLS30 #19 Posted Dec 26 2011 - 00:59

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
This thread is why I don't want to buy camo with the current system and be locked into something while they add more :/

Tyrson #20 Posted Dec 26 2011 - 01:08

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I think just opening patterns to all nations and having a colour palette, would go a long way too creating diversity, with out having to come up with whole bunch of patterns/colour combination's.
Not that a few more patterns wouldn't be welcome.