• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

Misfire42 #221 Posted Jul 08 2014 - 18:35

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 7736 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}ColeDragonKnight1, on Jul 08 2014 - 13:00, said:

http://wiki.wargamin.../World_of_Tanks

Look at the Mechanics tab. It's on IE, Firefox and Crome on 18, and 48 inch screens. It's a coding error easy fix but easy to make to

And what is goin on here

I know what the link is. I looked at the whole page and don't have any issues.

Spoiler

Now, can I have a screenshot and/or your screen resolution in pixels?

TreverSlyFox #222 Posted Jul 08 2014 - 18:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 12663 battles
Compared to the OLD Wiki WOT Pages this new one is garbage.  What the heck is the point of bringing out a "NEW" Wiki when it isn't even close to being complete.  Heck it's isn't even a complete "copy and past job"  What happened to the "Shell cost info" the old pages had for each cannon?  Ya the Old Pages were missing info on some of the newer tanks, but not this bad and just WHY is it missing info that the old pages already had?  If ya couldn't keep the old pages up to date, how will this be any different?

favrepeoria #223 Posted Jul 08 2014 - 21:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21260 battles
  • [-TRN-] -TRN-
Well in case you missed it. The old wiki was down for 7 months which is why it wasn't updated. Down meaning unable to edit

Haswell #224 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 01:41

Sergeant

• Wiki Staff
  • 10337 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

{lang:macro__view_post}TreverSlyFox, on Jul 08 2014 - 10:37, said:

Compared to the OLD Wiki WOT Pages this new one is garbage.  What the heck is the point of bringing out a "NEW" Wiki when it isn't even close to being complete.  Heck it's isn't even a complete "copy and past job"  What happened to the "Shell cost info" the old pages had for each cannon?  Ya the Old Pages were missing info on some of the newer tanks, but not this bad and just WHY is it missing info that the old pages already had?  If ya couldn't keep the old pages up to date, how will this be any different?

I'm sorry you are unhappy with the current state of the new wiki. Why don't you give us a hand and help make it better?

optrin #225 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 01:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 8403 battles
  • [HARD7] HARD7

{lang:macro__view_post}Haswell, on Jul 08 2014 - 21:41, said:

I'm sorry you are unhappy with the current state of the new wiki. Why don't you give us a hand and help make it better?

How can we help to add the shell cost, is there a database for that? Or we must add it manually tank for tank?

TreverSlyFox #226 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 16:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 12663 battles
So the Old Wiki was down for 7 months and couldn't be edited and No One could fix it in that time?  So WHERE is all this info that needs to be added?   And HOW do you add it?

Haswell #227 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 02:23

Sergeant

• Wiki Staff
  • 10337 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

{lang:macro__view_post}optrin, on Jul 08 2014 - 17:52, said:

How can we help to add the shell cost, is there a database for that? Or we must add it manually tank for tank?

We can find the values from both the game client files and directly from the server, but right now we don't know how we should add that into the wiki. It's definitely on the to-do list somewhere.

{lang:macro__view_post}TreverSlyFox, on Jul 09 2014 - 08:56, said:

So the Old Wiki was down for 7 months and couldn't be edited and No One could fix it in that time?  So WHERE is all this info that needs to be added?   And HOW do you add it?

We couldn't "fix" anything precisely because the old wiki was locked.

Go on the new wiki, find a page you think needs refining and start editing.

TreverSlyFox #228 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 05:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 12663 battles

Great canned answer, I ask HOW to add info to the wiki and all the answer I get is: 

Block Quote

Go on the new wiki, find a page you think needs refining and start editing.

Just what makes you think I know ANYTHING about editing a Wiki page?  THAT IS WHY I ASKED HOW TO DO IT!  

IF you're NOT going to answer the questions ASKED the what is your point in posting a reply?  Sounds more likely to me you really don't want the help and are NOT willing to share whatever expertise you have with Wiki with others.  I've lived on this planet 66 years and I have seen this same thing time and time again.  Ya'll whine about "Nobody will help" but when someone does ask how to help do something, you blow them off with some short answer that doesn't answer the questions asked.  Then you wonder why people get ticked off and walk away from the project.  

Now either answer HOW to edit the pages in detail or quit the snide "Why don't you help" garbage.

Haswell #229 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 05:43

Sergeant

• Wiki Staff
  • 10337 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

{lang:macro__view_post}TreverSlyFox, on Jul 09 2014 - 21:30, said:

Great canned answer, I ask HOW to add info to the wiki and all the answer I get is: 

Just what makes you think I know ANYTHING about editing a Wiki page?  THAT IS WHY I ASKED HOW TO DO IT!  

IF you're NOT going to answer the questions ASKED the what is your point in posting a reply?  Sounds more likely to me you really don't want the help and are NOT willing to share whatever expertise you have with Wiki with others.  I've lived on this planet 66 years and I have seen this same thing time and time again.  Ya'll whine about "Nobody will help" but when someone does ask how to help do something, you blow them off with some short answer that doesn't answer the questions asked.  Then you wonder why people get ticked off and walk away from the project.  

Now either answer HOW to edit the pages in detail or quit the snide "Why don't you help" garbage.

1. Visit the wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Main_Page

2. Login

3. Find a page

4. Click the edit button

5. Edit the page contents

6. Publish your changes when you are satisfied

Wiki editing requires a basic degree of competency in simplified HTML coding, self-initiative and creativity, as well as problem solving skills in cases of ambiguous descriptions and procedures. If you are unable to help edit the pages, you are always welcomed to simply be a reader of the wiki.

TreverSlyFox #230 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 08:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 12663 battles

Well that lets me out, don't know anything about HTML Coding.  Sure would have been nice to have known that in the beginning.  

I know this isn't your guys fault the way WG has been playing the game and it sure doesn't make any sense at all to lock out editing the wiki page for 8 months.  BUT, it sure doesn't help being snide with the comments knowing full well few people will know HTML Coding but telling them they can help if the don't think the pages are even close to being usable with so much information missing.  Especially when you don't know how the info should be added right now or even when it might be:

Block Quote

We can find the values from both the game client files and directly from the server, but right now we don't know how we should add that into the wiki. It's definitely on the to-do list somewhere.

A little bit of "Customer Relations" goes a long way, but withholding complete information right up front isn't the way to do it and it sure doesn't inspire any confidence in the project or it's completion.  And the truth is the new pages as they are, compared to the old pages, aren't that good looking.  They are quite colorless to tell the truth, pretty much a whitish gray background with black text with a few color pics here and there, very bland and institutional looking at best.  I surely hope you have some graphic designers coming on board to correct that.  If not maybe an Independent Wiki should be started by a few coders and designers if that's possible, not sure about copyrights etc.

ApplesauceBandit #231 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 10:16

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 21194 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

{lang:macro__view_post}TreverSlyFox, on Jul 10 2014 - 02:09, said:

Well that lets me out, don't know anything about HTML Coding.  Sure would have been nice to have known that in the beginning.  

I know this isn't your guys fault the way WG has been playing the game and it sure doesn't make any sense at all to lock out editing the wiki page for 8 months.  BUT, it sure doesn't help being snide with the comments knowing full well few people will know HTML Coding but telling them they can help if the don't think the pages are even close to being usable with so much information missing.  Especially when you don't know how the info should be added right now or even when it might be:

A little bit of "Customer Relations" goes a long way, but withholding complete information right up front isn't the way to do it and it sure doesn't inspire any confidence in the project or it's completion.  And the truth is the new pages as they are, compared to the old pages, aren't that good looking.  They are quite colorless to tell the truth, pretty much a whitish gray background with black text with a few color pics here and there, very bland and institutional looking at best.  I surely hope you have some graphic designers coming on board to correct that.  If not maybe an Independent Wiki should be started by a few coders and designers if that's possible, not sure about copyrights etc.

I joined the team without any HTML experience, so I wouldn't quit just yet.  The wiki code for most of what you'll want to edit was about as easy to learn as BBcode or other formats commonly used on internet forums.  I started out with simple stuff like adding on to existing articles and began branching out as I found out what did what.  Also, you don't even have to edit to help out.  If you can find bugs or other issues, I can pass those on or deal with them.

I can't look inside Haswell's head, but I assume that when he read you initial post, he thought that you were asking if you could even start editing.  Many people in the past have asked if they need to be granted special permissions to edit or if they need to take some extra steps to get started, so to be honest that is how I read your post.  That's just my two cents.  I'm sorry that you felt offended, and I hope that we can get past this misunderstanding and start fixing things up.

The appearance of the wiki was beyond our control to be honest.  A new article on FTR covers the issue, but if WGRU didn't demand that the EN layout be the same as the RU, we could have seen the EN wiki release a couple months ago.  Many editors share your opinion that the layout could have been better, but this is what we've got.

optrin #232 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 12:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 8403 battles
  • [HARD7] HARD7

If anyone here want to access the information now missing from the new wiki, like the shell cost, the shell count and the elevation angles for each gun, add "/Modules" to the end of the URL. For example:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Cromwell/Modules

That's when the module table information was created by the template 'ModulesPanel', now its created by the "#gw_vehicle_modules" function.

{lang:macro__view_post}Haswell, on Jul 09 2014 - 22:23, said:

If you guys need any help, let me know, I am a experienced wiki editor for some time now.

TreverSlyFox #233 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 19:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 12663 battles

ApplesauceBandit:

Thank you for the reply and explanation, it helps instil a bit more confidence.  I sure don't understand WGRU's thinking on this whole issue, as it's not customer friendly or anything like it.  It's PO'ed a lot of people which isn't a good business model if you like to make money.  In my own case my over a year old Perm Account ends in 27 days and I will NOT be renewing it just because of a few of WG's actions, this being one of them.

pakeha #234 Posted Jul 13 2014 - 10:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17076 battles
  • [-3AG-] -3AG-

NICE TO HAVE WIKI BACK.

Thanks to all of you who have worked (still are working) on it.

Keep up the good work guys (and gals).

wildcat18 #235 Posted Jul 13 2014 - 11:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11948 battles

I forgot I had this page and just want to pass it on. For people looking for info when using equipment and/or bia and stuff, try this link. http://www.tanknumbers.com/

VoinAimir #236 Posted Jul 15 2014 - 15:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12749 battles
  • [LIMBO] LIMBO
Something tells me that main picture isn't a 430 http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:Object_430

ApplesauceBandit #237 Posted Jul 16 2014 - 07:22

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 21194 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

{lang:macro__view_post}VoinAimir, on Jul 15 2014 - 09:35, said:

Something tells me that main picture isn't a 430 http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:Object_430

Someone accidentally replaced one of the images with a screenie of the Type 61.  While it should be fixed now, it'll take a while for the wiki to process it. 

olavski #238 Posted Jul 19 2014 - 00:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15862 battles
  • [PDL] PDL

Hey guys, is it possible to put the battle tiers back for every tank?

Thanks for all the work on this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users