EDIT:I will be hiding everything in a spoiler to make it easier to find out where things are. #2 edit: most things are only current for 7.1, and with 7.2, I will need to fix and update a lot of the things inside (8RPM is for max crew, etc.)
The gun is both its weakness and its strength. Most of the people who look at the KV-5 first check the gun out, which is not that impressive, being a mere tier 7 gun on a tier 8 tank. It also has bad penetration for its tier. However, the gun has the ability to fire 8 RPM (Rounds Per Minute) when it has a 100% crew. You can increase this by adding rammers, vents and so on. This allows you to easily kill those pesky Type 59s by simply shooting at their weakspots (Their tracks are the easiest and the most obvious targets, but the cupolas on top of the turret are also weakspots) The penetration is good enough for you to destroy any tank below tier 8, and some other tier 8s.
The armor of a KV-5 is actually quite good, with the sole exception of the R2-D2 at the front of the tank. When angled right, this tank can easily bounce shots from all lower tier tanks, and it can quite often simply take their shots. With the new change to HE mechanics, lower tier tanks can hurt you even less now, making your role as a "bully" tank even easier. A spall liner is a must for this tank, as the easiest target is the turret, but because of how tough it is, few tanks can penetrate the armor and most tanks resort to HE, which you can still bounce.
The speed/agility (Yes, it actually does have speed):
The speed/agility of this tank is quite good for a heavy tank, with the ability to solo a lot of lower tier tanks. It has a faster speed than the Lowe, and it is also one of the heaviest tanks in-game at 100 tons (Because I use a spall liner for mine, and other equipment, the tank is even heavier than its stated weight). It's max speed is 40 km/h, and this means that while its speed going uphill is average-slow, its speed going downhill is very good for one of its main weapons, ramming. Ramming enemy tanks is a very good tactic in this tank due to how they cannot reverse and escape your tank that is going at 40 km/h. Ramming an enemy tank can do up to 400 damage at full speed, and that is essentially one shell that you do not have to shoot at that tank and you can use that shell to shoot at another tank! (Remember to track the enemy before you attempt to ram! )
So, having read through half a page of how the KV-5 works, I will now give you a guide on how to use it.
When you are top tank:
Fighting against tier 8s:
This section of the guide will tell you how to deal with the other tier 8s that you may encounter. I will be using the term "threat" a lot in this thread, and by "threat" I am meaning that the said tank is hard to kill from the front, at long range, etc.
First of all, tier 8 heavies:
Tier 8 mediums:
Tier 8 Tank Destroyers:
Sneaky tips and tricks to use in a KV-5:
1) Due to how easy it is to hit the R2-D2, I sometimes drive backwards towards the enemy and use the exhaust to try and ruin their aim. However, I only do this in close areas, like when the enemy has surrounded me or stuff like that. Driving backwards towards the enemy when they are far away is pointless and dangerous. I always try to make sure that the rear armor is not showing that much, or that it is angled away from their gun. This tactic, with the nerf to the KV-5s rear armor in 7.2 (or something), means that it isn't that good. Angling/presenting the side armor is now better, but moving backwards and ramming an enemy (especially if it is a french light tank) can pin it and do damage to it.
2) Pressing alt or zooming your view out to the max and then moving it are 2 ways of seeing what the enemy tanks are. By zooming your view out to the max, it also allows you to see what the enemy tanks are doing (I may post a screenshot of this, maybe not. It's part of how I do well! ).
3) Ramming is the best thing to do in the KV-5, and don't hesitate to track the enemy tank then ram them!
4) Charging out into the mass of enemy tanks is fun, suicidal, and amusing if you survive. However, charging out only works if there is not a mass of enemy tanks on the other side, and if they are not on higher tiers than you, else you will die too quickly. If it is a mass of tier 5/6s, it's your lucky day!
5) If a tier 5-6 tank gets behind you, then kill it while angling your rear turret armor and the body of your tank. The angles on the KV-5 are very weird, and may cause more than one shot to bounce as they hit the edge of an armor plate.
When there are tier 9s:
In these types of matches, you need to be more cautious than in a match where you are top tank, because if you encounter a tier 9, you can't really do much. Whenever you find a tier 9, try your best to get away and let arty or a friendly tier 9 take care of the enemy tier 9.
Beginning of Tier 9 killing guide:
Tier 9 Heavies:
Tier 9 Mediums:
When there are tier 10s:
In matches with tier 10s, do the same as what I recommend done in tier 9 matches, but if you see a tier 10, you need to: run away from, flank or ram the tier 10, depending on your surroundings and the tier 10 you see. FYI, a KV-5 on its own CANNOT get into a battle with tier 10s due to its better mm value.
How to deal with wolfpacks of mediums:
Some tips for the KV-5:
Sneaky tips and tricks to use in a KV-5:
The KV-5, priced at 7500 gold (or roughly 35 dollars) is actually a hidden bargain that the WoT devs do not want you to know about! Even the wiki contributors have tried to get people to ignore this tank with its "bad gun". (I'm just kidding ) The KV-5 is an exotic beast, with a different strategy that most people can't use/understand. Remember, NOTHING can take on your tank when you are rushing towards them downhill. This tank also has one advantage over the Type 59: Both are tier 8 premium tanks, both make a lot of credits, both are fun to use, but the KV-5 as a USSR premium tank allows you to train your KV crews in it, whereas the Type 59 as of time of writing has no other Chinese tank for it to train crews for. If you like heavy tanks that can take a beating, shoot a lot and love to ram things, then this tank is the one for you!
Meaning of some terms used in this thread:
Modules, consumables and shell loadout:
For modules, I use a Large Spall Liner to reduce the HE damage that I take from arty, a Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2 to make my shots more accurate against enemy tanks and a Large Shell Rammer to fire faster.
For consumables, I use a small repair kit for broken guns/ammo racks, a small first aid kit for dead gunners/loaders, and a fire extinguisher for pesky fires.
For my Shell load out, I use 52 AP shells and 8 HE shells. Remember, if you encounter something you are not sure that you can kill, shoot their tracks out and let arty take care of them.
Out of date stuff:
If there are any typos, mistakes or anything that you think you can add to, please notify me via a post in this thread or a PM (I'll thank you for it! )
I apologize for any things that offend you, make you mad, or that you think are wrong. This is the first time that I've decided to write down my knowledge of how to play with the KV-5, so please +1 if you likes!
Good luck, have fun, and Thank you for reading my guide!
Other guides that I've written:
Threads that I recommend that you read:
^^ This thread is a thread about all of the tier 7+ tanks frontal weakspots, and is very useful.
Edited by iHuntTanks, Jun 07 2012 - 10:07.