The KV-5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
178 replies to this topic

Poll: The KV-5 (190 members have cast votes)

Did you like this guide?

1. Yes. (114 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No. (14 votes [7.37%])

Percentage of vote: 7.37%

3. I loved it, please write more! (53 votes [27.89%])

Percentage of vote: 27.89%

4. I didn't like it, please get off the forums ASAP! (9 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

Will you buy/use the KV-5 because of this?

1. Yes (84 votes [44.21%])

Percentage of vote: 44.21%

2. No (53 votes [27.89%])

3. Maybe (53 votes [27.89%])

Vote Hide poll

iHuntTanks #1 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 09:07

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 23334 battles
The KV-5 is one of the most underrated tanks in the game, mainly due bad players, its unique playstyle and how its weakspot is very easy to see and hit in the hands of an inexperienced player (As the tank stands now, it is one of the worse tanks in-game, and I believe that it is because of its gun. I think that it needs a buff for its gun for that then penetration becomes near to 200 like the 105mm of a T32, but the accuracy or RoF can be nerfed). This thread is for the discussion of the KV-5, the most underrated (and the worse played) tank in the game. If there is a term you do not understand, read on or refer to the list of terms near the end of this post. If you still do not understand something, please PM me or ask it in this thread.
EDIT:I will be hiding everything in a spoiler to make it easier to find out where things are. #2 edit: most things are only current for 7.1, and with 7.2, I will need to fix and update a lot of the things inside (8RPM is for max crew, etc.)

The gun:

The gun is both its weakness and its strength. Most of the people who look at the KV-5 first  check the gun out, which is not that impressive, being a mere tier 7 gun on a tier 8 tank. It also has bad penetration for its tier.  However, the gun has the ability to fire 8 RPM (Rounds Per Minute) when it has a 100% crew. You can increase this by adding rammers, vents and so on. This allows you to easily kill those pesky Type 59s by simply shooting at their weakspots (Their tracks are the easiest and the most obvious targets, but the cupolas on top of the turret are also weakspots)  The penetration is good enough for you to destroy any tank below tier 8, and some other tier 8s.

The armor:

The armor of a KV-5 is actually quite good, with the sole exception of the R2-D2 at the front of the tank. When angled right, this tank can easily bounce shots from all lower tier tanks, and it can quite often simply take their shots. With the new change to HE mechanics, lower tier tanks can hurt you even less now, making your role as a "bully" tank even easier. A spall liner is a must for this tank, as the easiest target is the turret, but because of how tough it is, few tanks can penetrate the armor and most tanks resort to HE, which you can still bounce.

The speed/agility (Yes, it actually does have speed):

The speed/agility of this tank is quite good for a heavy tank, with the ability to solo a lot of lower tier tanks. It has a faster speed than the Lowe, and it is also one of the heaviest tanks in-game at 100 tons (Because I use a spall liner for mine, and other equipment, the tank is even heavier than its stated weight). It's max speed is 40 km/h, and this means that while its speed going uphill is average-slow, its speed going downhill is very good for one of its main weapons, ramming. Ramming enemy tanks is a very good tactic in this tank due to how they cannot reverse and escape your tank that is going at 40 km/h. Ramming an enemy tank can do up to 400 damage at full speed, and that is essentially one shell that you do not have to shoot at that tank and you can use that shell to shoot at another tank! (Remember to track the enemy before you attempt to ram! :Smile_blinky:)
So, having read through half a page of how the KV-5 works, I will now give you a guide on how to use it.

When you are top tank:

Spoiler                     

Fighting against tier 8s:

This section of the guide will tell you how to deal with the other tier 8s that you may encounter. I will be using the term "threat" a lot in this thread, and by "threat" I am meaning that the said tank is hard to kill from the front, at long range, etc.

First of all, tier 8 heavies:

Spoiler                     

Tier 8 mediums:

Spoiler                     

Tier 8 Tank Destroyers:

Spoiler                     

Sneaky tips and tricks to use in a KV-5:

1) Due to how easy it is to hit the R2-D2, I sometimes drive backwards towards the enemy and use the exhaust to try and ruin their aim. However, I only do this in close areas, like when the enemy has surrounded me or stuff like that. Driving backwards towards the enemy when they are far away is pointless and dangerous. I always try to make sure that the rear armor is not showing that much, or that it is angled away from their gun. This tactic, with the nerf to the KV-5s rear armor in 7.2 (or something), means that it isn't that good. Angling/presenting the side armor is now better, but moving backwards and ramming an enemy (especially if it is a french light tank) can pin it and do damage to it.
2) Pressing alt or zooming your view out to the max and then moving it are 2 ways of seeing what the enemy tanks are. By zooming your view out to the max, it also allows you to see what the enemy tanks are doing (I may post a screenshot of this, maybe not. It's part of how I do well! :tongue:).
3) Ramming is the best thing to do in the KV-5, and don't hesitate to track the enemy tank then ram them!
4) Charging out into the mass of enemy tanks is fun, suicidal, and amusing if you survive. However, charging out only works if there is not a mass of enemy tanks on the other side, and if they are not on higher tiers than you, else you will die too quickly. If it is a mass of tier 5/6s, it's your lucky day! :Smile_Default:
5) If a tier 5-6 tank gets behind you, then kill it while angling your rear turret armor and the body of your tank. The angles on the KV-5 are very weird, and may cause more than one shot to bounce as they hit the edge of an armor plate.

When there are tier 9s:

In these types of matches, you need to be more cautious than in a match where you are top tank, because if you encounter a tier 9, you can't really do much. Whenever you find a tier 9, try your best to get away and let arty or a friendly tier 9 take care of the enemy tier 9.

Beginning of Tier 9 killing guide:
Tier 9 Heavies:

Spoiler                     

Tier 9 Mediums:

Spoiler                     

When there are tier 10s:
In matches with tier 10s, do the same as what I recommend done in tier 9 matches, but if you see a tier 10, you need to: run away from, flank or ram the tier 10, depending on your surroundings and the tier 10 you see. FYI, a KV-5 on its own CANNOT get into a battle with tier 10s due to its better mm value.

How to deal with wolfpacks of mediums:

Spoiler                     

Some tips for the KV-5:

Spoiler                     

Sneaky tips and tricks to use in a KV-5:

Spoiler                     

Conclusion!:

The KV-5, priced at 7500 gold (or roughly 35 dollars) is actually a hidden bargain that the WoT devs do not want you to know about! Even the wiki contributors have tried to get people to ignore this tank with its "bad gun".  (I'm just kidding :tongue:) The KV-5 is an exotic beast, with a different strategy that most people can't use/understand. Remember, NOTHING can take on your tank when you are rushing towards them downhill. This tank also has one advantage over the Type 59: Both are tier 8 premium tanks, both make a lot of credits, both are fun to use, but the KV-5 as a USSR premium tank allows you to train your KV crews in it, whereas the Type 59 as of time of writing has no other Chinese tank for it to train crews for. If you like heavy tanks that can take a beating, shoot a lot and love to ram things, then this tank is the one for you!

Meaning of some terms used in this thread:

Spoiler                     

Modules, consumables and shell loadout:
For modules, I use a Large Spall Liner to reduce the HE damage that I take from arty, a Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2 to make my shots more accurate against enemy tanks and a Large Shell Rammer to fire faster.
For consumables, I use a small repair kit for broken guns/ammo racks, a small first aid kit for dead gunners/loaders, and a fire extinguisher for pesky fires.
For my Shell load out, I use 52 AP shells and 8 HE shells. Remember, if you encounter something you are not sure that you can kill, shoot their tracks out and let arty take care of them.

Out of date stuff:

Spoiler                     

Spoiler                     

If there are any typos, mistakes or anything that you think you can add to, please notify me via a post in this thread or a PM (I'll thank you for it! :Smile_Default:)
I apologize for any things that offend you, make you mad, or that you think are wrong. This is the first time that I've decided to write down my knowledge of how to play with the KV-5, so please +1 if you likes!

Good luck, have fun, and Thank you for reading my guide!
:Smile-izmena:
Other guides that I've written:
http://forum.worldof...58#entry1254658

Threads that I recommend that you read:
http://forum.worldof...023#entry746023
^^ This thread is a thread about all of the tier 7+ tanks frontal weakspots, and is very useful.

Spoiler                     

Edited by iHuntTanks, Jun 07 2012 - 10:07.

Abbrams #2 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 09:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 6735 battles
  • [AUST] AUST
Why would you run either of the 2 tanks they both are terrible

Tolos #3 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 09:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF
people buy the T59 over the KV5 because simply put the KV5 sucks compared to the other tier 8 prem

prem tanks are all about making credits, and the lowe AND the T59 are both MUCH better at that, while when the KV5 came out noboby knew how to kill them, but now EVERYONE knows, they are easy to kill as any tank

if you want a heavy prem tank you buy the Lowe
if you want a fun prem tank you buy the T59
if you want to pretty much waste 7500 gold and be angry you buy the KV5

i will however +1 you for the time and effort you put in, and this guide IS helpful for those people that DO have/buy a KV5

PROACEX1 #4 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 14:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16599 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
http://www.black-com...a=media;in=1148
http://www.black-com...a=media;in=1146
http://www.black-com...a=media;in=1147
Yea...I like it. Lol.
12,420 exp and 154,774 credits is nice...
Respectfully,
PROACEX1

Rincer #5 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 18:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9735 battles
> When there are tier 10s:
> In matches with tier 10s, do the same as what I recommend done in tier 9 matches, but if you see a tier 10, you need to run away from, flank or ram > the tier 10, depending on your surroundings.

Has something changed in the match making in 7.0 that KV-5s get put in tier 10 matches? KV-5 was not supposed to be in tier 10 matches, thats one of it's advantages over the Lowe.

GeneralSlaughter #6 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 21:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 32085 battles
  • [ADEPT] ADEPT
The kv5 is about a worthless tank for fighting. It seems to be good with xp and money but it should also be a fun tank to play with and its not. If those of us who spend real hardearned money on this game we should be getting gold tanks that are better than silver tanks. The kv5 isn't a good silver tank and is definitely not worth the 30dollars in gold that it cost to buy. The armour seems to be ok not great but ok. The ammo sucks as I may as well throw rocks. And its speed is horrendous. Am curious to hear what WOT will do about this tank. The only time the kv5 does well is if you get lucky and run against tier 6 or lower tanks. Then and only then do you have any chance of actually surviving and maybe hurting something.

Shaftronics #7 Posted Dec 28 2011 - 21:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5094 battles

View PostGeneralSlaughter, on Dec 28 2011 - 21:05, said:

The kv5 is about a worthless tank for fighting. It seems to be good with xp and money but it should also be a fun tank to play with and its not. If those of us who spend real hardearned money on this game we should be getting gold tanks that are better than silver tanks. The kv5 isn't a good silver tank and is definitely not worth the 30dollars in gold that it cost to buy. The armour seems to be ok not great but ok. The ammo sucks as I may as well throw rocks. And its speed is horrendous. Am curious to hear what WOT will do about this tank. The only time the kv5 does well is if you get lucky and run against tier 6 or lower tanks. Then and only then do you have any chance of actually surviving and maybe hurting something.

Any skilled player would laugh at you, really.

It'll carry its weight against tier 8 opponents perfectly fine as long as you well, aim for certain spots. Anything above, you'll need to either hit a copula, flank or as the poster before you said, ram.

1200 horsepower behind 100 tons is no joke. Accelerating to 40 is faster than you think. Hell, a well-played KV-5 will eat a Lowe in most mid-close combat situations, given its faster reload and higher damage gun. Just start aiming and you'll do fine in it.

GeneralSlaughter #8 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 03:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 32085 battles
  • [ADEPT] ADEPT
Now that I have read your how to use a kv5 report I will try the ramming plan. All the other stuff I am already using but the rounds never seem to penetrate much. Case in point I was in a one on one fight with a pershing I shot him every possible spot and couldnt damage him at all he ended up killing me although it took him a lot of shots but I couldnt ever hurt him. My shots didnt bounce off the just never caused any damage, not even at point blank. Not sure why the gun is so crappy on my kv5 as it should have better pen power. Am interested in your thoughts on this.

Hurlbut #9 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 04:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5962 battles
Someone in the garage chat told me that KV-5, with spall liner included, is a beast when it comes to ramming. Would that be one of you contributors to this thread?  :Smile_great:

Shaftronics #10 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 04:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5094 battles
In my opinion, the KV-5 is so heavy, a Spall Liner would be redundant; its not like there's many tanks that will match your weight when it comes to ramming.

The gun sacrifices penetration for good alpha with reload speed, or at least that was how it is to me. I've never had much of an issue against US tanks as, long as you can shoot the hull. Facehugging and going for the copula generally works if its an option as well.

_Hawkeye_ #11 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 06:14

Captain

• Players
  • 18722 battles
Good guide, but the weak gun and the R2D2 will keep me from this tank. I would like to have it use for crew training, but can't get past it's weaknesses.

CryoVolt #12 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 07:13

Major

• Players
  • 28920 battles
R2D2!  'nuff said.

GeneralSlaughter #13 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 07:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 32085 battles
  • [ADEPT] ADEPT
If the gun was just a little more capable I could deal with the rest of its inadequacies.

TheNorseman #14 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 08:24

Private

• Players
  • 11612 battles
Recently bought the KV-5 and am pretty pleased with it.  You can certainly do things to keep your R2D2 from getting hit every round and some ppl just don't have a clue.  Still getting used to it and after the first handful of matches I was starting to have buyers remorse, but now pretty pleased with it.  Only have about 20 games under belt in this behemoth and best game so far has ben about 80k credits without premium.  So far its only the Tier 9s that I have a problem with, definately screwed if it is one on one.  American Tier 9 not as much of a problem though.

iHuntTanks #15 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 09:56

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 23334 battles
If your shots bounce, make sure that you are aiming for the hull of enemy tanks, and that your shots actually are going to where you want them to. Ramming is probably the best weapon that this tank has, as being able to one-hit ram tier 6s is quite fun ;)
The R2-D2 can be hidden be putting your hull behind some kind of rock or a wreck. Tanks that are good to put your R2-D2 behind are: russian mediums, all tier 5-6s, TDs, and some heavies (The KV-5 is so big, it can easily shoot above the wrecks of tanks).
:Smile_honoring:

PROACEX1 #16 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 11:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16599 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
With enough games people can learn how to play this tank effectively. It is essentially for those matches where you are near the top and the priority targets are all the little guys, not the other big tanks.
The R2D2 is something which can be an issue, but at long range it isn't the issue, it is the issue in brawling with multiple enemies, try and take enemy tanks on one at a time if possible and the R2D2 will be less of a threat. Also, peeking out behind buildings (try and be on the left of the building and fire to the right so as to protect the R2D2 and angle it as much as possible) is effective because they will try to shoot at the R2D2, and generally they will miss and bounce like crazy on the main armor.
Remember, play the KV5 like an IS-4 and it will have very forgiving armor. Play the tank like a German tank and you will be dead.
Respectfully,
PROACEX1

Nepos #17 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 20:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9426 battles
good info

Nepos #18 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 20:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9426 battles

View Post_Hawkeye_, on Dec 29 2011 - 06:14, said:

Good guide, but the weak gun and the R2D2 will keep me from this tank. I would like to have it use for crew training, but can't get past it's weaknesses.

Sorry kinda off topic but what do you mean crew training. Don't you have to train your crew to use this tank?

ledhed14 #19 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 21:51

Major

• Players
  • 14421 battles
  • [_SOA_] _SOA_
Tier eight premiums earnings.
lowe. Highest
KV5 - second
Type59 ( as of version 7.0tierplacement ) third.
Fact - Jack.
We use Type59 for fun and credits at same time,  most players I know do not find The lowe or KV5 " Fun " .
Players learn how to kill every tank,  just as players learn to use tanks to best advantage and position to hide weakspots ..in a tier ten match I was hit 46 times had 2 kills - steel wall and 87k profit after repairs. , consumables ammo.
Take a Type59 into a match suicide it doing no damage.
Take a KV5 and do the same.
Do math.
KV5 makes creds for now at higher rate per match.
I ground the tank to death chasing credits ..being an idiot at the time and only thinking of grinding I would kamikaze any map or MM I didn't care for ..now my win % is in the crapper ..but I made tons of credits ..
but guess what ..I am sure guys who had me in team would have appreciated if I fought my tank ..
Thankfully someone sent a pm suggesting I pull my head out my ass and man up and play ..
Sometimes a good wake-up is in order ..pointing out winning pays more helped also.
This is for 7500 gold a bargain.
Now that Type59 will get tiered up and a cred boost it may have the same earning potential.

Hurlbut #20 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 22:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5962 battles

View PostNepos, on Dec 29 2011 - 20:32, said:

Sorry kinda off topic but what do you mean crew training. Don't you have to train your crew to use this tank?
Premium tanks are good training up crews for other tanks. As long as the crew is trained to the same type as a premium tank (Still have to be same nationality), they can be used on that tank without penalty. So when you get a crew for a KV-3 or such, you can simply send some of the crew to fill out the KV-5 positions and get them trained up. Then transfer them back to the KV-3 without needing to retraining the crew *at* all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users