The KV-5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
178 replies to this topic

Poll: The KV-5 (190 members have cast votes)

Did you like this guide?

1. Yes. (114 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No. (14 votes [7.37%])

Percentage of vote: 7.37%

3. I loved it, please write more! (53 votes [27.89%])

Percentage of vote: 27.89%

4. I didn't like it, please get off the forums ASAP! (9 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

Will you buy/use the KV-5 because of this?

1. Yes (84 votes [44.21%])

Percentage of vote: 44.21%

2. No (53 votes [27.89%])

3. Maybe (53 votes [27.89%])

Vote Hide poll

Nepos #21 Posted Dec 29 2011 - 22:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9405 battles

View PostHurlbut, on Dec 29 2011 - 22:09, said:

Premium tanks are good training up crews for other tanks. As long as the crew is trained to the same type as a premium tank (Still have to be same nationality), they can be used on that tank without penalty. So when you get a crew for a KV-3 or such, you can simply send some of the crew to fill out the KV-5 positions and get them trained up. Then transfer them back to the KV-3 without needing to retraining the crew *at* all.

I did not know that... and knowing is half the battle  :D

Thanks

ledhed14 #22 Posted Dec 30 2011 - 03:57

Major

• Players
  • 14374 battles
  • [_SOA_] _SOA_
Yes big benifit to all premium types is you take 75 lvl crew from same type and nation ..light - medium - Heavy ..
Then move them into premium with no retrain skills ( example I used the t127 premium to train MS1 crew to 100 )
Its because premium cred and exp multiplier they level faster ..also as you train crew YOU earn more creds ..
then just out back in the heavy,  light,  or medium you snatched them from.
YOU want full camo crew this is fast way.

Eyeless_Camper #23 Posted Dec 30 2011 - 09:34

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12081 battles

View PostSyndicate, on Dec 29 2011 - 07:13, said:

R2D2!  'nuff said.
who is Nuff?, cant find that player  :mellow:

iHuntTanks #24 Posted Dec 30 2011 - 11:42

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 23334 battles
Nuff I believe, is me. He is quoting me, and has probably managed to make a name change ;)

MightyTiki #25 Posted Dec 30 2011 - 15:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6033 battles

View PostiHuntTanks, on Dec 28 2011 - 09:07, said:

The KV-5 is one of the most underrated tanks in the game, mainly due to the "TYPE 59 IS OP!!!" threads that have appeared no matter how obvious that the Type 59 is not OP. This thread is for the discussion of, the PROMOTION of and the general praise of the KV-5, the most underrated tank in the game. If there is a term you do not understand, read on or refer to the list of terms near the end of this post. If you still do not understand something, please PM me or ask it in this thread.

The gun:

The gun is both its weakness and its strength. Most of the people who look at the KV-5 first  check the gun out, which is not that impressive, being a mere tier 7 gun on a tier 8 tank. It also has bad penetration for its tier.  However, the gun has the ability to fire 8 RPM (Rounds Per Minute) when it is maxed out (100% crews, rammer, etc.) This allows you to easily kill those pesky type 59s by simply shooting at their weakspots (Their tracks are the easiest and the most obvious targets, but the cupolas on top of the turret and the small ridge in the middle of their front armor are also weakspots)  The penetration is good enough for you to destroy any tank below tier 8, and some other tier 8s.

The armor:

The armor of a KV-5 is actually quite good, with the sole exception of the R2-D2 at the front of the tank. When angled right, this tank can easily bounce shots from all lower tier tanks, and it can quite often simply take their shots. With the new change to HE mechanics, lower tier tanks can hurt you even less now, making your role as a "bully" tank even easier. A spall liner is a must for this tank, as the easiest target is the turret, but because of how tough it is, few tanks can penetrate the armor and most tanks resort to HE, which you can still bounce.
The speed/agility (Yes, it actually does have speed)

The speed/agility of this tank is quite good, with the ability to solo a lot of lower tier tanks. It has a faster speed than the Lowe, and it is also one of the heaviest tanks in-game at 100 tons (Because I use a spall liner for mine, and other equipment, the tank is even heavier than its stated weight). It's max speed is 40 km/h, and this means that while its speed going uphill is average-slow, its speed going downhill is very good for one of its main weapons, ramming. Ramming enemy tanks is a very good tactic in this tank due to how they cannot reverse and escape your tank that is going at 40 km/h (If you can find a tank that can go faster than 40 km/h in WoT and in reverse, please tell us about it. And no French tank jokes please) Ramming an enemy tank can do up to 400 damage at full speed, and that is essentially one shell that you do not have to shoot at that tank and you can use that shell to shoot at another tank!
So, having read through half a page of how the KV-5 works, I will now give you a guide on how to use it.

When you are top tank:

There is literally only 1-4 tanks that you will need to fear and treat with respect, but know this: You can still kill them! So never attempt to run away from the fight unless you see another tier 8, and even then you only need to fear another tier 8 with its front pointing towards you. However, this does not mean that this tank is invulnerable. A mass of tier 7s can still destroy your KV-5, so always make sure you have some tier 5/6s around you as good cannon fodder and/or support :).
In this tank, your best option is to attempt to flank at all costs, as your gun cannot do much to the front armor of other tier 8s (mediums excluded, but there is a different method to dealing with them).
If the enemy tier 8 ignores you, you can take advantage of your 8 rounds per minute and simply out shoot them. If they show their front towards you and target you, then your allies can take the tier 8 down by shooting at its weak side armor. The only exception to this tactic is another KV-5 and tier 8 medium tanks. When fighting against another KV-5, try to make sure that they cannot hit your own R2-D2, and target their own R2-D2. If you cannot hit their R2-D2, then you can aim for the cupolas up at the top of the turret.
When you fight against Type 59s/T-44s, aim for the tracks, and always try to hit the side of the hull of those tanks. Whenever you fight against a Pershing, aim for the hull if possible, but the turret is still relatively easy to penetrate. Just don't hit the mantlet. When you fight against a Panther II, attempt to flank if possible, but its armor is relatively weak at close range. Whenever you fight against a KT, aim for the turret and hope that they still have the stock turret. If it penetrates, then you don't have to fear it. If it bounces, just try to flank.
Spoiler                     
When there are tier 9s:

In these types of matches, you need to be more cautious than in a match where you are top tank, because if you encounter a tier 9, you can't really do much (Unless they are T34s, then you should merely operate with a little more degree of caution than in tier 8 matches.) Whenever you find a tier 9, try your best to get away and let arty or a friendly tier 9 take care of the enemy tier 9.

When there are tier 10s:
In matches with tier 10s, do the same as what I recommend done in tier 9 matches, but if you see a tier 10, you need to run away from, flank or ram the tier 10, depending on your surroundings.
How to deal with wolfpacks (or Chinese packs? :)) of mediums:
Whenever you see these, attempt to get your team to turtle up, as the main advantage of a wolfpack is its speed, and how they can all circle you and split/bounce the damage. There will be a few people who choose to go out unsupported, and these people can be the bait.  When the mediums come, and they WILL come, there is a high chance that they will "take the bait" and get behind the poor tank that chose to go out. Believe it or not, this is actually a good thing, as by getting behind the bait, they expose the weaker side  and rear armor of their tanks (The rear of the turret is still a good place to shoot, so fire away!) When you finish destroying the wolfpack, move up or go to the last place an enemy tank was seen.

Some tips for the KV-5:

1) Use hitbox skins if you are new, not so good or don't know where the weakspots of an enemy tank are because you WILL need it.
2) Try to stick with the pack, or take cover at rocks where the enemy need to cross open ground to reach you.
3) If you find yourself alone, you can still win! Never surrender, and if your gun is destroyed, ram the enemy tanks!  :Smile_honoring:
4) This tank is one of the best tanks for ramming, and always try to ram lower tier tanks because who isn't scared at 100 tons of steel coming towards them at 40 km/h? You can also one-hit ram tier 5s.
5) Tanks that you should not ram are: E-100s, Maus's and T95s due to their higher weight, tougher armor, or severely higher armor.

Conclusion!:

The KV-5, priced at 7500 gold (or roughly 35 dollars) is actually a hidden bargain that the WoT devs do not want you to know about! Even the wiki contributors have tried to get people to ignore this tank with its "bad gun".  (I'm just kidding :P) The KV-5 is an exotic beast, with a different strategy that most people can't use/understand. Remember, NOTHING can take on your tank when you are rushing towards them downhill. This tank also has one advantage over the Type 59: Both are tier 8 premium tanks, both make a lot of credits, both are fun to use, but the KV-5 as a USSR premium tank allows you to train your KV crews in it, whereas the Type 59 as of time of writing has no other Chinese tank for it to train crews for. If you like heavy tanks that can take a beating, shoot a lot and love to ram things, then this tank is the one for you!

Meaning of some terms used in this thread:

Mod = Modification (used here to refer to a modification of the client files)
KT = King Tiger, Tier 8 German heavy and widely considered to be the best tier 8
R2-D2 = The larger dome in front of the KV-5
Hitbox skins = A mod to the ingame files that show you the weakspots of enemy tanks
OP = Over Powered (Essentially, it means that the tank/avatar/object is too good, and should be changed/everyone should use it because it is good)
Cupolas = Circular things that stick out of the top of turrets.
Arty = Artillery/SPGs

Why you should buy the KV-5 over the Type 59:
1) It, unlike the Type 59, will not be getting a change to its matchmaking value or if it is getting changed, you can still survive compared to the Type 59, which can easily die due to 5 ammo racks and how it has less hp than the KV-5.
2) The KV-5 can get one last kill by ramming a 10% enemy tank just before dying compared to the Type 59, which is too slow, light and small to get a kill through ramming.  
3) When you try to ram something in the Type 59, no one will retreat due to how little damage you can do, whereas they WILL regret it if you manage to ram them in your KV-5.
4) The KV-5 looks unique compared to the Type 59, which is just a copy of the T-54.

Modules, consumables and shell loadout:
For modules, I use a Large Spall Liner to reduce the HE damage that I take from arty, a Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2 to make my shots more accurate against Type 59s and a Large Shell Rammer to fire faster.
For consumables, I use a small repair kit for broken guns/ammo racks, a small first aid kit for dead gunners/loaders, and a fire extingusher for pesky fires.
For my Shell loadout, I use 45 AP shells and 15 HE shells. Remember, if you encounter something you are not sure that you can kill, shoot their tracks out and let arty take care of them.

I have created this thread due to the plague of Type 59s that have appeared on the battlefield, and please do not discuss about how the Type 59 is/is not OP, because the new players now buy Type 59s to see whether or not it actually is OP. I myself fell into the trap of "OMG I WANTS OP TANK!!!" with the T-54. I grinded a lot to get the tank after the release of WoT, and yet found out how average the tank is. Even though there were people saying that the T-54 isn't OP, I still got the T-54 to see whether or not it was actually OP or not. New players will probably feel the same so please, if you can avoid it, don't say the Type 59 is OP, say the <insert tank that you love here> is better!
If there are any typos, mistakes or anything that you think you can add to, please notify me via a post in this thread or a PM (I'll thank you for it! :))
I apologize for any things that offend you, make you mad, or that you think are wrong. This is the first time that I've decided to write down my knowledge of how to play with the KV-5, so please +1 if you likes!

Good luck, have fun, and Thank you for reading my guide!
:Smile-izmena:
Threads that I recommend that you read:
http://forum.worldof...023#entry746023
The daily laugh series that CD posts
The WoT Newsletter

KV-5 plays best when it's afire and a burning hulk of 7,500 gold you can never get back--should've got a Type 59 instead!  :Smile-playing::Smile-izmena:

No_Ammo #26 Posted Dec 31 2011 - 00:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27054 battles
  • [SMPRS] SMPRS
I can see this post was befor the 7.0 patch. im interested to know you feelings now with new pen mech AND the upcoming patch 7.1 where kv5 will be in min teir 9-10 matches with its still peice of crap gun.

when you get down to it having to be "tactical" and ALWASYS aim for weakspots on every teir 8 and up. The Kv-5 needs a better gun now more than ever. the is3 cuts thru kv5s breaking no sweat at all.

WOT doesnt historicly cover tanks as accuratly as we would hope. in vidoe gaming its hard to anyway with all the mech considered and hypotetical prototype tanks. I firmly belive that in the development of the KV-5 they would have instaled a bigger gun. personaly i woulda expanded the bracket and made the kv-5 hold 3 guns on its turret (like a battleship)

i would defenaly enjoy the Kvs 152 or kv1s 122 teir 7

the bigest thing that kicks my ass is when im the last tank standing and im faced with haing to kill a is3, tiger II and other tanks.

hell one match me and a second kv5 make it to the cap to win it for our team when confronted by the returning e75, loosing the match wih both of the kv5s helpess to scrach the e75. (bouncing sides, missing comander hatch)

fr0zenion #27 Posted Dec 31 2011 - 02:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19258 battles
Agreed with OP 100%

I have over 1200 battles in a kv5, and I dont regret buying it one bit. I tested out the t59 on the test servers, needless to say I never want to touch them again, or any Soviet mediums in general.

If ur not shooting its weak spots, its armor, when angled, its nearly impossible to pen. Check out this screen shot i posted. At 8PRM, it will chew apart lower tiers in no time or side/rear armor in no time.

I had a bad team, but I made the best of it.

Attached Files

• Attached File   shot_006.jpg   303.5K

fr0zenion #28 Posted Dec 31 2011 - 02:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19258 battles
Oh, and I forgot, im not running premium, so exp and credits are lower.

Tolos #29 Posted Dec 31 2011 - 08:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF
and that is the problem mate, sure the KV5 chew up lower tiers ( like you said and also like very tank ingame ) but when it comes up against anything its tier or higher its food, any player with half a brain that has been playing longer then 2 weeks knows the weakspot on the KV5 and will hit it

and that is the reason nobody buys them, because the lowe and t59 are both MUCH better at the job then a KV5 is

its a shame though, because i would love to buy one.

fr0zenion #30 Posted Dec 31 2011 - 09:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19258 battles

View PostTolos, on Dec 31 2011 - 08:24, said:

and that is the problem mate, sure the KV5 chew up lower tiers ( like you said and also like very tank ingame ) but when it comes up against anything its tier or higher its food, any player with half a brain that has been playing longer then 2 weeks knows the weakspot on the KV5 and will hit it

and that is the reason nobody buys them, because the lowe and t59 are both MUCH better at the job then a KV5 is

its a shame though, because i would love to buy one.

I know, its got a steep learning curve, and its not a tank usable by everyone.
With the high pen of the lowe gun, u can auto aim and be ok
T59 stick with others 59s and wolf pack, we seen too many of these

KV5 feel out of the loop, serving only as a shield and damage sponge.
Still, once you master the art of kv5, its a very fun tank, ill never buy a lowe or 59 to make money now.

Well, maybe when the IS6 or Brummbar come out, then ill buy it.

iHuntTanks #31 Posted Jan 01 2012 - 01:16

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 23334 battles

View PostNo_Ammo, on Dec 31 2011 - 00:59, said:

I can see this post was befor the 7.0 patch. im interested to know you feelings now with new pen mech AND the upcoming patch 7.1 where kv5 will be in min teir 9-10 matches with its still peice of crap gun.

when you get down to it having to be "tactical" and ALWASYS aim for weakspots on every teir 8 and up. The Kv-5 needs a better gun now more than ever. the is3 cuts thru kv5s breaking no sweat at all.

WOT doesnt historicly cover tanks as accuratly as we would hope. in vidoe gaming its hard to anyway with all the mech considered and hypotetical prototype tanks. I firmly belive that in the development of the KV-5 they would have instaled a bigger gun. personaly i woulda expanded the bracket and made the kv-5 hold 3 guns on its turret (like a battleship)

i would defenaly enjoy the Kvs 152 or kv1s 122 teir 7

the bigest thing that kicks my ass is when im the last tank standing and im faced with haing to kill a is3, tiger II and other tanks.

hell one match me and a second kv5 make it to the cap to win it for our team when confronted by the returning e75, loosing the match wih both of the kv5s helpess to scrach the e75. (bouncing sides, missing comander hatch)
I would like to know where you got your information of "KV-5 will be with tier 10s" as this thread clearly shows that the KV-5 in 7.1 will NOT be with tier 10s (It's the only tier 8 premium tank that gets a better matchmaking than the other premium tanks/tier 8s.
http://forum.worldof...chmaking-chart/
Just incase you don't understand, that is the chart for the 7.1.2 test matchmaking.

The KV-5 also has the most hp of all of the tier 8s to counter its gun that's useless at range (1680 hp, Lowe gets 1650 hp, KT gets 1600, and IS-3 gets 1500 hp. All hp values are with upgraded turrets)

About fighting that E-75, in MY opinion (if you have a different opinion, please tell), One of you KV-5s should've flanked the E-75. Even though you would've moved out of cap, the E-75 has to either target the KV-5 in cap or the KV-5 flanking.

To you, I would recommend learning about those tanks (IS-3s are good to ram due to how they have light weight and less hp, and if you are last one standing, try to rush at them to ram them. If they have too much hp to be taken out with one ram, try ramming again or shoot at their tracks and flank)
:Smile_honoring:

iHuntTanks #32 Posted Jan 01 2012 - 01:22

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 23334 battles

View PostMightyTiki, on Dec 30 2011 - 15:54, said:

KV-5 plays best when it's afire and a burning hulk of 7,500 gold you can never get back--should've got a Type 59 instead!  :Smile-playing::Smile-izmena:
You have fire extingushers for fires, it's a Tier 8 premium tank, so use consumables as much as you want!
I didn't get the Type 59 because as you can read in my original post, I already have a T-54, and the Type 59 is merely a cheaper copy :P Also, when it's on fire, isn't it more scary to see a 100 ton steel wall on fire coming at you?

MightyTiki #33 Posted Jan 01 2012 - 13:26

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6033 battles

View PostiHuntTanks, on Jan 01 2012 - 01:22, said:

You have fire extingushers for fires, it's a Tier 8 premium tank, so use consumables as much as you want!
I didn't get the Type 59 because as you can read in my original post, I already have a T-54, and the Type 59 is merely a cheaper copy :P Also, when it's on fire, isn't it more scary to see a 100 ton steel wall on fire coming at you?

Haha, you obviously didn't understand the post at all.  Let me explain it in a language you can understand.  When a tank is destroyed, it becomes a burning hulk.  I wasn't referring to the KV-5 getting torched or brewed up.  I've killed many KV-5s with all kinds of tanks, it's just a joke to see one on the enemy team and a big let down to see one on my team.

fr0zenion #34 Posted Jan 01 2012 - 23:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19258 battles
We can argue back and fourth all day about any tank,

BUT, Regardless, if you know what ur doing with the kv5, or willing to learn how to use it,
A kv5 will support a team like any tank and be ur money maker.

"it's just a joke to see one on the enemy team and a big let down to see one on my team."

Thats very ignorant of you.

Tarsas #35 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 01:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 18150 battles
Lets be honest, I've watched two KV-5s destroy a Ferdinand. This tank can be used and played by a competent player well.

MightyTiki #36 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 01:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6033 battles

View Postfr0zenion, on Jan 01 2012 - 23:06, said:

We can argue back and fourth all day about any tank,

BUT, Regardless, if you know what ur doing with the kv5, or willing to learn how to use it,
A kv5 will support a team like any tank and be ur money maker.

"it's just a joke to see one on the enemy team and a big let down to see one on my team."

Thats very ignorant of you.

No better feeling to kill KV-5s http://forum.worldof...ile-playing.gif

fr0zenion #37 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 03:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19258 battles

View PostMightyTiki, on Jan 02 2012 - 01:38, said:

No better feeling to kill KV-5s http://forum.worldof...ile-playing.gif

Alright, you can start with me, ill see u in randoms.  :Smile_honoring:  :Smile-izmena:

GeneralSlaughter #38 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 17:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 30443 battles
  • [ADEPT] ADEPT
I end up in games with other tier 8 to tier 10 tanks all the time. It seems rare to get into games where I am on top. Have tried to use the ramming capabilities but cant seem to get into situations of actually being able to use that as most people are hiding around corners dead tanks ect. I can deal with the r2d2 issue as I am learning how to hide that huge weakness. I still think the gun needs a major overhaul cse in point I ended up in a one on one very close combat with an IS and I hit him point blank 4 times in multiple areas and caused no damage but he decimated me. I was able to hide my r2d2 from him but he is way more agile than me obviously and really had to use turret and tank turning capabilities togethere to even get the shots. I didnt want to go head to head for that reason but the situation left me no choice. I cant express the need enough for a better gun on the kv5 as this is a tank game not friday night crash derby and there is no point in a tank that doesnt shoot anything larger than a bb. I have almost 800 games in my kv5 and I keep it for the xp and the silver but it lacks any punch and that needs to be fixed.

akoaih #39 Posted Jan 09 2012 - 16:25

Captain

• Players
  • 27378 battles
I purchased a KV-5 this past Friday.  I wanted to up my credit earnings and the choice was simple:  Löwe is too expensive; Type 59 doesn't match my playstyle; KV-5 does match my playstyle.

I put 100 battles on the KV-5 over the weekend, netting 4.8M credits (a very small part of that from dailies) and having more fun in WoT than I've had in a while.  Some battles were over quick, with three or four well-placed shots to the astromech, but I also earned several Steel Walls with it and there were many more battles where it took 15, 20, or more hits to stop me.  Top battle so far grossed 130k credits with around 10-15k expenses.

The gun doesn't do much to an IS-4 or E-75 but if used well it can damage Tier VIII heavies.  There were times I was surprised by some of the kills I got with the 107.  I'm not a weak spot expert but I am a decent shot (83% hit with the KV-5).

Speed and acceration are decent for a high-tier heavy and ramming can be fun.  A downhill ram on a Panther II at 30% resulted in a kill and right after that a T-54 downhill rammed me and went from 56% to 1%.  Bet he won't try that again.

On top of this the crew for my upcoming IS-7 is already trained to 100% in the KV-5.  I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Nepos #40 Posted Jan 11 2012 - 15:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9405 battles
purchased a KV-5 last night because I wanted to boost my credit earnigs. The info I have obtain from this thread as well as others made my choice clear. For the money this is it. I run Soviet Heavies and I can train them in the KV-5. So far I made last night 1.8 million credits just running the tank. On average I make about 40K a battle as I am still learning what to do in battle on this. I find if I employ my KV derp gun tactics I can earn 60-80K a battle.

I notice that if I track a tank that is heading at me I can get 2 -3 shots off before it gets up and running. With this gun I was able to track a is-7 for 3 mins as our mediums and arty laid waste to it. A good times good times.  :P

One draw back I noticed that has nothing to do with the tank, is players often think you can go it alone against equal tiered heavies. So a few times I will be left alone to defend/attack an area.  :Smile_great: I still do what I can. When I get support or do the supporting I have a blast. the gun is a little on the weak side but other than that I am very happy with my purchase.  :Smile-izmena:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users