Churchill Strength

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

dooston #1 Posted Sep 03 2010 - 20:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 178 battles
  • [TB] TB
well i dunno i usually dont go in contact with heavy's but churchill is awesome vs medium.

Kage_19K #2 Posted Sep 03 2010 - 20:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10 battles

View PostDreeka, on Sep 03 2010 - 20:12, said:

Hello!

I have a Churchill tank from gold. However, i havent played the game in a while, so I would like to ask that how strong is the Churcill? I always liked the heavyer vehicles, so does it has a chance against a Tiger II for example?

Thanks for your answer!

I have not driven a Churchill myself, but having fought against it I think it's terrible. The last battle I went up against one in my Panther - he hit me twice and did very little damage (if any at all) to me. I hit him twice and he blew up. They seem extremely slow too.

Again, not a first hand experience in being in one, but I've never been scared to fight one in any vehicle that I'm in.

Malasorte #3 Posted Sep 03 2010 - 21:09

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
its kinda crap fun :) .. u ding a lot ... need a miracle to get a shot through and even then its low dmg :D but its cheap to repair and resupply and its pretty nice to farm with

also it dies fast and its moving like a snail, slow as hell hehe

Veneroso #4 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 01:05

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 42331 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
It tends to earn alot of credits.  Win or lose, I always make a profit.  Compare that to my IS-4 that loses credits even if we have a victory (Assuming I'm destroyed and I shot a few rounds.)

Its gun is rather... underpowered.  Its like a peashooter.  The reload time is insane though so if you miss its not a big deal.

Its ok against light tanks and some mediums.

Veneroso #5 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 01:08

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 42331 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR

View PostDostayer, on Sep 03 2010 - 23:03, said:

Churchil is cheap tank to maintain and it's can be a good tank any time that you don't go to direct fight with heavys beyond KV, altgho it got a lot of HP, it's engine and it's gun doing a lot of troubles (Weak gun, you must flank him or go around some of the tanks, and the fact that if the engine is damaged it's speed goes below the 10 km/h and it's max is 28 km/h doesn't helping)but it's still worth it's price
mainly because it's cheap and it's easier to fund some expensive tanks maintaince (like T-34-85 or KV and more advance tanks)
It's a shame that they put one of the worst verision of this tank, it's got verisions with 75 mm gun, or with a Howitzer (Churchil AVRE) ah well, we will have to wait for a British faction if they'll ever add it

Yeah this tank actually inspired me to do some research on it.  The later revisions were quite respectable.  The tiger II "Kill" example I read was quite funny.

leofwine #6 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 01:11

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Despite its slow speed and major speed loss when going up slopes, the 38H 735(f) is a great vehicle in Tiers 1-3. Makes money, is hard to damage and has a good gun.
The Churchill pre-patch was alright, but now we've had the wipe most people have far heavier vehicles, so you don't find any decent targets you can actually penetrate/damage in the Churchill currently. I shelved mine for now until people get bored of the 'uber' tanks and go back to the lower tier ones. If they do get bored of them that is.

Tank_Killer1 #7 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 01:13

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Also latter versions had 3" front armour and dont forget the Black Prince (A43)Churchill with a 17pdr.

Veneroso #8 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 01:39

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 42331 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
Sometimes fate smiles upon You.

This screen shot is from a match I just completed.  Somehow the Churchill was the heaviest tank, we had 2, they had 2kv's.  It took several shots, but with a 100% crew I managed to snipe down several targets including one of the KV's.

I'm on premium if anyone wonders about my winnings.

Kage_19K #9 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 06:08

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10 battles

View PostVeneroso, on Sep 04 2010 - 01:39, said:

Sometimes fate smiles upon You.

This screen shot is from a match I just completed.  Somehow the Churchill was the heaviest tank, we had 2, they had 2kv's.  It took several shots, but with a 100% crew I managed to snipe down several targets including one of the KV's.

I'm on premium if anyone wonders about my winnings.

Nice job. Just further proves how badly the KV sucks though imo  ;)

FearKill #10 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 11:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Churcill suck. Have never had any. But my IS-3 kills it with one shot on the front 100% to 0% in 1 Sec. So I say it sucks

seadevil001 #11 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 22:11

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 145 battles
I had all Soviet premium tanks at some points and Churchill is no fun to play whatsoever. Yes, it will farm you gold and experience, that will be it. Once, IS rolled into our base and I shoot it 26 times from my Church, from all directions it allowed me. No penetration, no damage. Got Sniper badge though. Valentine is tad better for fun. Matilda is the best, you can actually make some kills with HE and HEAT is good.

darzok #12 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 23:05

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The churchill like all Perm tanks are wickly powerfull but only when fighting there own rank or lower tanks.

The churchill fighting rank 5 or lower tanks will kill every thing quite easy KV can give it problems if they got the 107 but you can easy unload like 10 rounds before he can turn to see you if you get up behind them.

The higher the rank the enemy the worse the churchill will do vs heavy tanks you become all most unable to hurt them but you can kill all more or less every Med Spg and TD in game if you take them form the side or behind.

That been said you make tons and tons of money with the churchill even if you kill nothing and was to die with in the first 10 seconds you would make roughly 10k.

Its just like the Valentine when put vs T4 or lower that thing will eat all other tanks alive but any thing above T4 will more or less rip you apart why you fail to do much damage back.

StanSuarez #13 Posted Sep 05 2010 - 10:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3741 battles
I got the Church to help finance my IS4 addiction since it had a bad habit of loosing cash unless I kill 3tanks or more and a WIN with the IS4. For this role, the Church is indispensable. I alternate playing my Church and my IS4 and I still make a tidy profit overall even if I occasionally loose 10k cash per game on my IS4.

The poor Church is at the mercy of the auto-balancer more than any other tank in the game though.

Sometimes, I get thrown in with a room full of heavies and I barely scratch the paint of 1 tank before I am one-shotted by them. Good thing I still make money even if I don't do well in those games.

Occassionaly however, i get thrown in with a bunch of light and medium tanks and then the fun begins. Don't get me wrong, even if you're a "HEAVY" tank- you can still be killed by a lot of the lighter tanks- specially if they double/triple team you. However, if you stay within the main pack and keep your rapid firing gun firing as fast as possible- you'll soon end up with a lot of kills(granted, most will have to be stolen from teammates but it's one of the perks of a fast-firing gun).

You'll have that baby for a while so don't skimp on the upgrades. I turned mine into a quasi-Tank Destroyer by slapping on a camo net and making my 100% crew go all camouflage for their second skill. If Im stuck in a game with a lot of heavies, I just hang back with the SPGs and hope a rushing scout doesnt see me and comes within lethal range of my puny gun. If I can track him with my first shot, I can keep hitting his track faster than he can repair it(barring consumables of course). It will take more than a half-dozen shots, but as long as you keep him tracked- he'll go down eventually.

I haven't decided on the Other 2 equipment slots yet.   I'll see how the game evolves as the initial rush of heavy tanks wear down. I'll probably do both the accuracy upgrades if I see that I get into more lower tier games by next week.

Comrade_Smirks #14 Posted Sep 06 2010 - 00:04

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5605 battles
"ugh churchills suck I killed one in my tier 10 tank that's how bad it is!"

Churchills are tier 5 tanks. For a tier 5 tank they aren't bad. In matches without high tier tanks the gold tanks are fine. Getting thrown into a match with ten IS-7s no joke your Churchill is going to have a terrible time.

Fnar #15 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 06:16

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You just have to use it right then it is a great tank.

If there are a lot of heavy tanks in the battle just stay with your artillery and defend against rushers. They won't be able to hurt you and the fire rate of your gun will make short work of them.

If there are only 1 or 2 heavies on each team you can go on offensive, not many mediums can hurt you, just watch artillery fire.

Great moneymaker in each case.

trevlan #16 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 14:01

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
If you're buying it for credit farming, go with a KV instead imo. Bought mine now just for getting to s-51, was gonna use that for a credit machine to supply my is-7 but wow.. didn't like the KV pre-patch, loving it now. Usually end up with 20-40k pure profit. Even if you get instakilled and shot a few with the 107mm you'll still get profit.. can't really beat that ! Also more fun since you can actually dmg higher tier tanks with the KV's 107mm, church is just useless there.

Mako276 #17 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 20:44

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 8898 battles
The greatest strength of a Churchill in my opinion is its rate of fire. Base rate of fire is 30 rounds/min, now with my -10% reload rammer, and 100% crew I fire a shot around every 1.75 - 2 secs.

The majority of this thread is right you will have a difficult time facing tanks of a higher tier, but the same is true for others. I have played many games with my Churchill where I have crippled larger tanks from the shear amount of shells I can throw out.

Sure an IS-3 can two/three shot me, but in the time it takes to do that I have fired around 10-15 shells, any one of them could take out modules/crew or set the tank on fire.

I play my Churchill by picking a target that is mostly alone or is busy in other ingagements that way either they ignore me or are forced focus on me and less on the "larger threats". Basically, I become a dedicated pain in the ass.

MrFumbles #18 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 11:06

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The funny thing about the churchill is that it can, albeit having no HE shells, stunlock even an IS7 to the very death.
Just keep shooting at the tracks, its amazing your rapid fire anables your buddies to circle around & poke them in the behind.
Works just as great against all TDs but those you can stunlock & damage yourselves. Wich is a major improvement.
On certain maps (Himmelsdorf being the best) you can employ the "wall of doom". Plop your churchill down blocking a street,
(one that is usually frequented by scouts) & wait. On one match (pre-patch) i made 6 kills just sitting still & getting scouts either
'splat' on mide armor or shooting them when they got stuck on me, the wall or a wreck.
This works on Lakeville as well, take the middle route, choose a tight spot & plop down. If you cant kill them, you can ANNOY the
shit out of them. And detracking the impending IS7-doomsday-driver gives your arty time enough to fire a couple of shells in him.

The biggest drawback about a churchill is still due to its incredible slowness you have to have a little more foresight & planning to use
it. Usually i hang around a little near the base, taking out lights or mediums on scouting duty, then going the route thats less fought over.
Trying either to help cap or provide info on the remaining defense.

If i get really bored with maprotation i use the churchill as a super-slow scout. Sightrange 400, radio 600 (iirc). HP & armor enough.
The enemy team smells an incoming raid & opens up, i light up all the targets nice & fine.
Its also kinda fun to see how far you can get doing that shit - Karelia down one hill, up the other capping the flag all the way - is still
my personel record.

Let me remind you: Repair & rearm is dirtcheap, so dont hesitate being awesome & dying doing stupid, but hilarious things.

stay happy - poke a tiger (works with the churchill too)

sharlin648 #19 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 18:51

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
My Grandad drove a Churchill in the Normandy Campaign, he said it was slow, unreliable and undergunned but its advantage was its tough design and versatility.  The 6lber on it could door ding Panthers and Tigers but was capable of taking out Panzer IV's.  

In the game, my experiences with them have been the same. Against bigger tanks you don't stand a chance really.  Sure you can rattle them with your RoF but that's all unless you're lucky.  But against tanks in its weight class and below its fine, she's a tough old thing and the RoF of the 2lber makes up for a lack of punch.

LordBerk #20 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 07:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14875 battles
Ummm no.

Listen. Just get yourself a divorce from the Churchill. The people advocating it are either hoping you field one so they can farm you or are under the 'special' group that feel that can make a silk purse...yada yada yada.

It's kinda like Apple before they were any good. Church and other premium tank WILL get buffed, but till then - really, they suck.

They suck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users