Churchill Strength

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

StanSuarez #21 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 07:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3741 battles
Since my son's account has more gold than he could care to spend, I bought the MATILDA and CHURCHILL for him. The Matilda is MUCH better than the Churchill! Its just as slow as the Church, but at least with the 75mm gun and HE on the Matilda- you could actually KILL tanks with it.

Anyway, if you use your Churchill during the off-peak hours, you'll have a better chance of being among the top-3 tanks in the room and farming the Light/Medium tanks.

Phyneas #22 Posted Sep 25 2010 - 16:45

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4905 battles
  • [MS-W] MS-W
I actually have fun playing the Churchill. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be if you play it right. It is not a heavy tank; if you try to go toe-to-toe with any heavy bigger than a KV then you're going to die quickly. It makes a good defensive tank and it's capable of taking out most lights and mediums very quickly with its high turret traverse speed, fast rate of fire, and accuracy, and it will take little or no damage from lights (except a maxed-out Leopard) and low-tier meds. It can also distract and do rapid module/track damage to heavies if you can get into a position where you can flank them and you have cover nearby to retreat behind if they take aim at you, though this can be difficult to set up given the Churchill's slow speed; overextending yourself will get you killed in short order.

In higher-tier matches, I like to sit around base, protect the artillery, and nuke any scouts or medium wolfpacks that get behind our lines. When I end up in a low-tier match, I'll usually defend until the first wave of rushers is dead, then if the enemy has little or no artillery I'll just head straight for their base and pop all the poor helpless little tanks I encounter along the way, and maybe plink their token KV to death if I catch him. Works pretty well, and I've had many an entertaining round in my ol' Churchill.

StanSuarez #23 Posted Sep 26 2010 - 16:25

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3741 battles
The Churchill is LONG enough to BLOCK any bridge in the game and several other choke-points as well. I can see it being a valuable tool in clan-wars or tournaments.

Clockworkred #24 Posted Sep 27 2010 - 03:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17448 battles
  • [LBAS] LBAS
The Church needs a bit more thinking to use. Due to its comparatively thin armor, you can't just go in and slug it out with higher tier tanks. Although against light tanks, you're better off (three Steel Wall awards add to that.)

I always think of the Church as an oversized medium. Good against light tanks, but terrible against anything a smidgen above its weight class. From there, attach yourself to a heavier comrade and help out, gimp tracks, and provide distraction. The high rate of fire does allow you to keep gimping hostile tanks, and if you aim at the wheels, you can even do some damage (done against King Tiger, after i gimped his tracks, allowing for a friendly Tiger to take him from behind). Hit the flanks and rear, and don't be afraid to die: you'll make a profit as long as you move, see, and shoot.

Das_Tank #25 Posted Sep 27 2010 - 13:29

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostFearKill, on Sep 04 2010 - 11:20, said:

Churcill suck. Have never had any. But my IS-3 kills it with one shot on the front 100% to 0% in 1 Sec. So I say it sucks
Pathetic. I am glad I invested some gold in the Churchill. Combined with a premium account it is a great credit maker (up to 40'000 sometimes). It can treat all targets up to KV lvl.
The 57mm certainly lack some punch but it has laser accuracy. Never tried the premium shell but using manual aiming, you are still able to annoy late tiers heavies (auto-aim=ricochet).
Will definitely stick to it at release unless I like one of the new premiums better.

cardgame #26 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 05:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 5627 battles
Churchills are terrible!

I had one, you can't penetrate anything, not even other tier 5s, and most tier 4s also bounce your shots. My tier 5 KV can one-shot it, so those KV drivers described on page 1 were idiots. Even if they were using the stock gun, the churchill sucks so bad it should not have been a problem.

Istvan #27 Posted Oct 01 2010 - 08:44

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 15591 battles
Wow, I'm torn now. I have read plenty of pro's, assuming the tanks is used correctly within it's limitations, and plenty of horror stories. I was saving my gold and should have enough by tomorrow but now I'm wondering if I should hold off.

ServileLupus #28 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 07:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5600 battles
churchill is my top tank for xp atm 2.2k in one game and in a good game i can get 40k+ w/ a 3k repair bill i think its a great tank if you know how to use it, highest tank u have reasonable damage against is a kv sadly

Chimerus #29 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 08:43

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2216 battles
wellp, it does make money and exp. it is also UNGODLY slow and a large target. the church appears to be seeded pretty high, like a KV or such, which it really isnt. it is great against light tanks with the rapid-fire gun tho. avoid anything larger than a KV and probably the KV too. if you are lucky enough to be the top seed, it can be pretty fun tho.

MrFumbles #30 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 07:20

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostIstvan, on Oct 01 2010 - 08:44, said:

Wow, I'm torn now. I have read plenty of pro's, assuming the tanks is used correctly within it's limitations, and plenty of horror stories. I was saving my gold and should have enough by tomorrow but now I'm wondering if I should hold off.

well this is still a beta, so gold costs nothing. If you are not sure about the whole thing you should try it out since that question then is answered for the release.
I still would like to remind you about the performence increase when your crew skills increases. For the churchill ist seems to be around the 60%, 80%, and 100% when you actually notice a difference.

Istvan #31 Posted Oct 05 2010 - 07:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 15591 battles
I ended up going with a Matilda, and although slow as a snail on sedatives, has decent armour and packs a decent punch. I usually find myself in the defensive role because of the sped handicap. Quite happy though with my choice and my best money maker so far. :)

Feindfeuer #32 Posted Oct 06 2010 - 08:03

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The Chruchill is a nice Defensive Tank against scout rushes. It's turret traverse is fast enough, it's penetration and damage more than enough and it's firing rate (especialy with a rammer) is unholy. Slowly move a few hundered meters forwared and wait for the first wave. Destroy any BT7, Leopard or whatever they throw at your artillery with your british pseudo-autocannon  :Smile-izmena:

If you're luck and get into low-tier battles it's a rather nice tank. It's armor is good enough to bound low-tier guns and while it might be slow, the bad penetration of it's gun is not that much of an issue as you'll not encounter any heavily armored vehicles in those fights. But even if you do, here's a little list of weakpoints i was able to penetrate with my gun, you'll not win a fight against an IS3, but you can damage it... and you certainly can't run away anyway.  :(

KV
Dont fire at the turret, prefare to fire on the sides but you should come out on top most of the times unless he's carying the 107 or 152mm.

IS
front : lower glacis plate at short range
side : at track height, just fire away, everything that will not destroy the tracks should go trough and damage something else

IS3
front : lower glacis plate at short range, possible but not guaranteed to penetrate
side : at track height, just fire away, everything that will not destroy the tracks should go trough and damage something else
back : lower back, not sure if it's the whole back or just certain points, just saturate the area with your 30/33 rounds per minute gun

Pz IV
If they have the Bobblehead/Schmalturm, only fire at the turret from the sides or back, you'll not get through the frontarmor (should be common knowledge, but i see people firing away at the Schmallturm of PzKpfw IV with AP from 5cm KwKs, so i'll just post it to be sure. You'll be able to penetrate any other Part of the PzKpfw IV.

There's more, but I didn't write any of that down (yet)

Das_Tank #33 Posted Oct 15 2010 - 13:11

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Actually the only thing I really miss with my Churchill is...HE ammo. Unless historically the 57mm never came with HE rounds (which AFAIK was the case with many if not most UK guns early/med war) I don't see any reason why it should be restricted to AP and premium rounds.

Clockworkred #34 Posted Oct 18 2010 - 18:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17448 battles
  • [LBAS] LBAS

View Postsircavd, on Oct 15 2010 - 13:11, said:

Actually the only thing I really miss with my Churchill is...HE ammo. Unless historically the 57mm never came with HE rounds (which AFAIK was the case with many if not most UK guns early/med war) I don't see any reason why it should be restricted to AP and premium rounds.

Well, think about it. The fact that an HE round does not need to penetrate to cause damage, combined with the Church's gatling-like firing rate, means that on a bad day, you'll be having a shell blow up in your face every two point five seconds, causing both general damage and module damage. Add that to its cheap repair/reload cost, and you have one of the most exploitable tanks around.

theta0123 #35 Posted Oct 18 2010 - 18:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postsharlin648, on Sep 10 2010 - 18:51, said:

My Grandad drove a Churchill in the Normandy Campaign, he said it was slow, unreliable and undergunned but its advantage was its tough design and versatility.  The 6lber on it could door ding Panthers and Tigers but was capable of taking out Panzer IV's.  

In the game, my experiences with them have been the same. Against bigger tanks you don't stand a chance really.  Sure you can rattle them with your RoF but that's all unless you're lucky.  But against tanks in its weight class and below its fine, she's a tough old thing and the RoF of the 2lber makes up for a lack of punch.
Actually any 6PDR in normandy was an MKIV wich where a bit unreliable, but the MKVII wich was the grand majority of churchills had even thougher armor and much better reliabilty

Also any Churchill tank with a 6PDR had a large supply of APDS rounds, wich could penetrate 130mm at 500m and 118mm at 1000m

It may be granted to say, that making the 75mm gun standard on MKVII's was a dumb decision. A mix of 6PDR and 75mm churchills would have faired much better.

But the MKVII performed very very well in the normandy campaign, as long as it stayed in its infantery support role

NEMESIS #36 Posted Oct 23 2010 - 12:04

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I actually made the mistake of buying one worst tank ever damn its worst then the pz3 and thats a scout sold it after 8 matches worst tank i ever played in the game

Talkimas #37 Posted Oct 25 2010 - 16:29

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 97 battles
I enjoy mine and find it to be good for farming free XP to help with the grinding hell that some tanks are. Although I may find it more enjoyable than most as it is my only heavy tank atm (yay for having a horribly unfocused research path in both trees) and I'm more attached to the role than the tank itself.

VGA #38 Posted Oct 25 2010 - 16:56

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It's one of the tanks that never seem to make any difference in a fight.

I see some of them when I drive my Pz3 and it's usually some safe and easy XP cause it's a nice big target. I like shooting it with my stubby gun by the side of a building.

It really should have a better gun to deal with some of the mediums (or choice ?)

n0z3k1ll3r #39 Posted Oct 26 2010 - 01:25

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 878 battles
1. Get Churchill
2. Park sideways on the centre road on lakeville after all their heavies start heading down it.
3. ???
4. Profit.

HER3TIC #40 Posted Oct 26 2010 - 14:06

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
buy it straight away, train a crew to 75%, turn on quick crew xp and get the crew some 2nd abilities, ready for your first real heavy tank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users