HOW TO: COUNTER ARTY

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

MadmanVin #1 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 05:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14985 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO
This Tutorial is for guys who don't know how to "counter arty" and want to know how. Most guys on higher tier artillery tanks know how to do this and you guys are probably wondering why they can pop you without even having a teammate on your side to spot you.

Here goes..

First, on every map; THERE ARE COMMON artillery positions. these positions are common simply because they are prime locations that give the tanker an optimum range on either the paths he's covering within his line of sight or the far side of a map while giving him building or bush cover.
You need to be mindful of these spots and hover your "God View" just above them. you will see the white line (muzzle flash) or (shockwave) or (tracers) come out of the end of their barrels.. giving you the exact location of the tanks you're seeking to destroy. Keep in mind that the shot you see comes out of the end or their barrel which usually stick out past the front of their tanks hull. so aim a few feet back please!!

Now there are other ways of finding these (tracers) without being in god view.. keep an eye for for the sky above you and you will see the white line shoot across from the enemy side to yours.. giving you an idea of where you need to watch in "god view" for them.

and the last way of finding them is by watching your teammates who are taking fire from enemy artillery and tracing back where the artillery is, in the direction the line(tracer) came from..

Now the Tips.. : this can be tricky for many reasons..

1: the guy you're shooting at is on to you or is ready for your tactic and is doing what we call the "shoot n move" or "shoot n scoot" .. basically he's shooting and not watching for his shell to land(this is smart and how you should play too). now you have to get logical on his Azz.. if he's backed up against a wall and you see his tracer fly out of his barrel.. you know for a fact that he's moving forward and only forward.. the best "shoot n scoot" guys mix it up.. I myself like to shoot and move forward and right/left or backward and right/left.. and I won't be like a typical counter arty Noob ( newbie ) who moves just feet from where he originally was only to allow you to catch on to his pattern. I continue to move for the duration of my reload..(40 seconds)>>sometimes even 4 sections over!!.. to throw off the enemy arty.. if he can't find you.. all you have to worry about is a scout.. who nowadays is more blood thirsty than ever.. or your team falling and you becoming surrounded..

if all else fails.. you may have to "go TD" on them. meaning you've just become surrounded or an enemy scout has broken through your defenses and at this point nobody should expect your backup cause your priority has become saving your own hyde.. wait for him to move in as far as he can without lettin him cream you and aim for the space just above ground but below the tank that's in between his tracks and fire.. because of the high arch of your shell you must aim low.. your chances of destroying the guy are a lot better..

I hope you have found this post helpful and will continue to erase the guys who blast my Maus from afar!! lol.. I'd appreciate it boys!! see you on the battlefield!!

MadmanVin[WoF]-Deputy Commander ~ Always Recruiting

Phelps #2 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 06:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18779 battles
I shoot and scoot while watching the shot fall. You can still move in overhead view (but I wouldn't do it for long).

Ferroge #3 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 06:10

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 44596 battles
Good post, but I don't recommend spending your entire reload relocating unless it's absolutely necessary (if you've been spotted or tanks are closing in, for example). It's nice to have time to stop and aim during the last few seconds of your reload and pop a shot into one of their big tanks before they can get away. Then you can move around a bit more, get into another position, and get ready for you next shot quicker.

Edit: Also, watch for falling trees or small walls or farm equipment and the like being destroyed. It can give you a tip on where their arty is moving. On Mines, for example, if you're on the north side, arty really likes to hide in the southeast corner. There's lots of fencing there, some trees and things, if you take a quick peek sometimes you can see someone's run it over. That either means arty is hiding back there, or they've destroyed it to make you think they're hiding back there, in which case you should probably take caution when you take your shots, they're probably trying to counter you as well.

fsjd #4 Posted Jan 02 2012 - 22:11

Major

• Players
  • 11077 battles
  • [TT] TT
note: arty tracers are YELLOW.
I have been CBed once: knocked a tree over on the way to my shooting spot, he was looking almost right at me when i fired, one tracked me, his buddy killed me.
I also managed to CB a GWP in my Hummel. I then proceded to help wreck his team.

easy to learn, hard to master. good guide so heres a +1

hammereditor #5 Posted Jan 03 2012 - 03:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 2395 battles
I'd say he gets a +2 because ive played arty fora heck of a lot of hours, like 100 maybe, and ivenever figured out the shot or scoots or the tracer method.

Skavies #6 Posted Jan 04 2012 - 11:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 13607 battles
  • [KKREW] KKREW
Nice, but you didn't tell them where to aim when watching tracers.

1. In arty view mode, zoom out as far as possible.

2. Every ones screen size is different, but assuming the target doesn't shoot ans scoot, the aim point is 1.5 tank lengths from the end of the tracer.  If the average tank on your screen is 1 cm long, you will want to aim 1.5 cm behind the line.   (extend the visible yellow line 1.5 tank lengths farther back from it's end, aim at the ground there.)

3. If you see a tracer while not loaded, or after shooting and missing, tell the team what square it's in so they can help counter arty, or a scout knows where to look.

4. While counter arty is nice, it's not always the smart thing to do.  On small maps, if there's 1 arty, don't bother.  On medium or large maps, with 2 arty don't bother.  On large amps wit LOTS of arty hiding spots, don't bother when there's not 4-5+ artys.  The time you waste countering is time you aren't killing their tanks.  Kill enough of the tanks, and the main force can just roll up to their arty.

5. On maps where you don't bother counter artying, still shoot and scoot, the other arty players might be morons and try countering you wasting time and damage.  Plus if they are intent on killing you, they won't be watching the mini map for threats coming to them to kill or at least light them up for you.

6. Counter arty should be something you are doing while supporting the team.  You can hold the right mouse button to lock your sights over the area you are defending, then mouse around (or use the mini map to look around faster) to watch for tracers while reloading, then go back to your aiming when done reloading.

7. Counter arty is best left for the low damage arty.  Arty has poor health, and while counter arty works for every arty, why waste the power of an S-51's 1850 damage shell when there's a 450 damage priest that can fire faster?  use your power to hit the high tier tanks and td's leave the counter arty to the wimps.   By all means look around and report tracer fire squares to the wimps, but save the big guns for the hard targets.

8. Some higher tier artys can fire AP rounds.  Do not counter arty with AP if you have HE available.

9. When using the shoot and scoot method, seriously scoot immediately after firing.   You can stay in overhead mode if you looked around first and know what you are going to be moving to so you can watch your shot hit or miss(like going foreword and turning left or right), but know that you won't be knocking over trees or bumping buildings for the first 5-6 seconds of travel while not paying attention to where you are going.  There's nothing worse than playing shoot and scoot and backing over a tree then getting counter artied anyway because they saw the tree fall.  There should be less than .5 seconds between firing the shot and hitting the movement keys.

10.  When counter artying someone who does shoot and scoot, STOP IT.  You can tell they do it if you land a perfect shot and they don't die or if you are onlly watching and see the tracers firing from different locations each time.  You will only waste ammo and time.   Fire off a few rounds at enimy tanks then come back to them.  Many players stop doing shoot and scoot when they don't hear close explosions.  Just watch for their arty shots to start coming from the same spot, then nail them.

MadmanVin #7 Posted Jan 04 2012 - 22:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14985 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

View PostSkavies, on Jan 04 2012 - 11:24, said:

Nice, but you didn't tell them where to aim when watching tracers.

1. In arty view mode, zoom out as far as possible.

2. Every ones screen size is different, but assuming the target doesn't shoot ans scoot, the aim point is 1.5 tank lengths from the end of the tracer.  If the average tank on your screen is 1 cm long, you will want to aim 1.5 cm behind the line.   (extend the visible yellow line 1.5 tank lengths farther back from it's end, aim at the ground there.)

3. If you see a tracer while not loaded, or after shooting and missing, tell the team what square it's in so they can help counter arty, or a scout knows where to look.

4. While counter arty is nice, it's not always the smart thing to do.  On small maps, if there's 1 arty, don't bother.  On medium or large maps, with 2 arty don't bother.  On large amps wit LOTS of arty hiding spots, don't bother when there's not 4-5+ artys.  The time you waste countering is time you aren't killing their tanks.  Kill enough of the tanks, and the main force can just roll up to their arty.

5. On maps where you don't bother counter artying, still shoot and scoot, the other arty players might be morons and try countering you wasting time and damage.  Plus if they are intent on killing you, they won't be watching the mini map for threats coming to them to kill or at least light them up for you.

6. Counter arty should be something you are doing while supporting the team.  You can hold the right mouse button to lock your sights over the area you are defending, then mouse around (or use the mini map to look around faster) to watch for tracers while reloading, then go back to your aiming when done reloading.

7. Counter arty is best left for the low damage arty.  Arty has poor health, and while counter arty works for every arty, why waste the power of an S-51's 1850 damage shell when there's a 450 damage priest that can fire faster?  use your power to hit the high tier tanks and td's leave the counter arty to the wimps.   By all means look around and report tracer fire squares to the wimps, but save the big guns for the hard targets.

8. Some higher tier artys can fire AP rounds.  Do not counter arty with AP if you have HE available.

9. When using the shoot and scoot method, seriously scoot immediately after firing.   You can stay in overhead mode if you looked around first and know what you are going to be moving to so you can watch your shot hit or miss(like going foreword and turning left or right), but know that you won't be knocking over trees or bumping buildings for the first 5-6 seconds of travel while not paying attention to where you are going.  There's nothing worse than playing shoot and scoot and backing over a tree then getting counter artied anyway because they saw the tree fall.  There should be less than .5 seconds between firing the shot and hitting the movement keys.

10.  When counter artying someone who does shoot and scoot, STOP IT.  You can tell they do it if you land a perfect shot and they don't die or if you are onlly watching and see the tracers firing from different locations each time.  You will only waste ammo and time.   Fire off a few rounds at enimy tanks then come back to them.  Many players stop doing shoot and scoot when they don't hear close explosions.  Just watch for their arty shots to start coming from the same spot, then nail them.

I have to disagree with a lot of what you've posted. and I don't mean to argue and certainly don't want to start one on my own forum lo. however friend, it's a serious matter of opinion here, with some of the points you've made. like the "don't bother" to counter.

there are times when you can choose not to. and there are times when I choose not to. but this can mean the difference in someones life in the game. your team needs your support whether its cover fire. counter battery or just shootin' blind for another arty on your team so you can make the other teams arty fire and your arty friend can pop him. I do agree with the point you've made about Shoot and immediately move! I stressed it above and couldn't stress it enough. left click and get the hell  moving without knocking everything over around you! lol.. what I like to do is find a spot where I'm going to fire. plan how I'm going to move. lets say its reverse and right. but there a tree or farm truck in my way. I'm smart about it. I will backup enough to get beside the point where I've cleared it and turn right to get around it. I've mastered this and its near impossible to counter me so don't argue with it lol. I'm sharing my technique and that's why this has been posted. I have a 40 second reload so I drive over a couple sections to throw them off and yes I give myself 6-7 seconds to aim around n search before I fire and move again. I would suggest any artillery user masters this technique while still in smaller tanks for the fact that its harder in smaller tanks for two reasons. A: you have little to no splash damage and B: most targets are out of your range and you need to explore the non common arty spots :) get very familiar with the map guys! when you get bigger arty you have insane splash damage! I splashed half the life of a E-100 away in my T-92 from a tanks length away! so look forward to that. downside. shooting n scooting becomes a turtle race in the big tanks. so get a spall liner if you can and save yourself 15% damage from explosions and Ramming. .>> perfect for arty and scout vehicles.

"Nice, but you didn't tell them where to aim when watching tracers." <<< as for your comment.. I do!! I will copy n paste mine.. >>
""Keep in mind that the shot you see comes out of the end or their barrel which usually stick out past the front of their tanks hull. so aim a few feet back please!! "
maybe read through it again.

Now I'm going to share a little secret which I've been training my scouts for in the last few days. this can be life saving guys.. in battle (preferably clan battles,tank companies or platoons) ((with a partner scout)) I keep my scout for later in battle .usually waiting for the enemy scout to die and half their team to die after trying to rush forth too soon. most people think that their team can run your team over like deer frozen in the headlights in front of a monster truck! in some cases yes but not as many as I see rushing lol.. these guys still have too much blood lust and pay the price with their lives. the smart players will wait for the opportune time. .. so while waiting for the opportune time. I'm shooting and scooting at enemies and enemy arty always!! DEPENDING ON WHAT MY TEAMMATES NEED ME FOR.. always watch your min
"i maps.. have your scout drive around you firing some shots so the other teams arty can see his muzzle flash and distract them. making them waste shells and showing you where they are. I usually watch for their patterns.. they will stay within the same map square move back n forth between 2-3 spots locally.. this is where I getcha!!

don't ever underestimate the other teams arty. even the smallest arty on the smallest or largest map can take you out and force you to wait in garage weeping "hacks!" or watching the battle in team view while blaming your teammates for your own foolishness. theres time in every battle for counter battery. whether its right away or later in battle after ten minutes or in the last 3 minutes. you're no use to your team dead and you need to master the counter shots.

Most important:

Watch the minimap always!
watch your teammates .. are they dying or killing? know which side to cover.
once you've left clicked to shoot, you better be moving!! scoot scoot!!
never assume that just because the enemy arty aren't firing at you now that they won't later! I do this to enemies all the time. and you'll get it when your guard is down!!

Skavies #8 Posted Jan 05 2012 - 09:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 13607 battles
  • [KKREW] KKREW
Thanks for the response, it's nice to know what another good arty player thinks.

""Keep in mind that the shot you see comes out of the end or their barrel which usually stick out past the front of their tanks hull. so aim a few feet back please!! "

Keep in mind a few feet on the overhead view is maybe 10 pixels, and no where near far enough back.  Give them a visual reference like "tank lengths" since that is based on the resolution/size of their moniter.  A big problem many of my clan mates had in counter arty was shooting at the end of the line, and not behind it anywhere near far enough.   Yes, I go over length when describing it because people don't listen and even if they are over, it's the same as the center dot showing behind the tank when mousing over it in arty mode.  If the opponent moves forward, various speeds of unknown arty make firing short a miss, but all arty backs up at the same slow speed as far as this is concerned.

Players will have to figure out for themselves based on play style when to counter arty, my opinion is based on number of arty primarily vs the number of arty hiding spots.  with 1 arty and 5 grid squares of hiding spots, you're going to spend a few minutes doing nothing to help the team but watch for tracers in the wrong areas.   With several arty and limited areas of deployment, by all means counter arty for a while.  Counter arty is always good, but not always better than team support.  What I posted before was a simplified version since I lack the patience to Photoshop all the maps with probable hiding spots and detailed directions for each one and breakdowns for how many arty are needed before I risk wasting time early on to counter.  Shove people in a general direction, and they will adapt to what works for them.  Shove them in a specific one and they won't adapt even if they follow directions.

MagicPony #9 Posted Jan 05 2012 - 18:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8093 battles
Personally, I never bothered trying to counter-artillery. It is a waste of time.

Generally, Tier 6+ artillery can shoot twice or less every 1 minute ( including aim time ). So every minute that you spent searching for some invisible tracer to counter the artillery. I will happily slam my shots to your heavy tanks.

I do shoot and scoot. I would drive around for 10-15 sec and then stay slightly behind the original spot. Obviously, whoever ,tried to counter me, would have to adjust his hitzone + the travel time of the shell; I would have enough time to dodge the incoming shell. I tried to keep my tracer visible to whoever is countering me. I want him to focus me instead of focusing on my team's heavies.

Since the tracer implemented, I think I got counter-artillery 2-3 times, but they are my fault for being silly.

blitzr123 #10 Posted Jan 05 2012 - 18:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 712 battles
since Im an arty lover this was useful info.  I know about "god view" and following the tracers back to their position but I never knew you can be in 3rd person view and watch the skies for their tracers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users