Jump to content


HetZer Gun Choice


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

@isoltl #1 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 00:01

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 149
  • Member since:
    08-29-2010
Hey German TD users,

I just got the hetzer and I was curious as to whther or not I should get the Pak39 L/48 or the StuH42 L/28.

Any advice on which is better?
One has clearly better penetration but the other has very good HE dmg and with the amount of heavies I face...it might be good.

Thoughts?

Guhonter #2 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 02:30

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-10-2010
I prefer the 10cm over the 7.5 as the damage is significantly higher. Even the big guys can take a dent from that gun :)

HLS30 #3 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 07:09

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    07-11-2010
I prefer the StuH 10.5 as well (and only run straight HE). Reload is longer, but it'll damage almost anything (using the same gun in my StuG right now and it's not uncommon to get ~17k credits for a battle).

@isoltl #4 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 07:55

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 149
  • Member since:
    08-29-2010
Hmmm sounds good I'll go for the heavier 10.5 then. I assume HE rounds in it because of the low penetration?

Guhonter #5 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 12:50

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-10-2010
Highest Damage you can get. As a Hetzer you dont get to live very long (most times)- so i try to make at least every shot hit as hard as I can. Rammer works for me, too.

HLS30 #6 Posted Sep 04 2010 - 23:33

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    07-11-2010

View PostIsolTl, on Sep 04 2010 - 07:55, said:

Hmmm sounds good I'll go for the heavier 10.5 then. I assume HE rounds in it because of the low penetration?

Yes, run straight HE. Penetration is slightly higher with AP, but not enought to guarantee penetration of any same or higher tier vehicles. HE though will damage *anything*

@isoltl #7 Posted Sep 05 2010 - 12:14

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 149
  • Member since:
    08-29-2010
HE damage seems to be a little hit or miss in this game but the gun is a damn good scout killer. and can hurt tier 5/6 pretty well. Managed to get an IS3 kill but I was really lucky. *Ended up behind him*

Benden #8 Posted Sep 05 2010 - 18:25

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 172
  • Member since:
    07-09-2010

View PostIsolTl, on Sep 05 2010 - 12:14, said:

HE damage seems to be a little hit or miss in this game but the gun is a damn good scout killer. and can hurt tier 5/6 pretty well. Managed to get an IS3 kill but I was really lucky. *Ended up behind him*


I agree with posts above : 105mm + he shells.
But compared to all TD i've played so far, the hetzer should be played just long enough to go for the next td : you'll have much more fun with the stug 3 and above. So imo, hetzer is just a transition td and not worth spending too much ressources/time.

HLS30 #9 Posted Sep 05 2010 - 21:30

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    07-11-2010

View PostBenden, on Sep 05 2010 - 18:25, said:

I agree with posts above : 105mm + he shells.
But compared to all TD i've played so far, the hetzer should be played just long enough to go for the next td : you'll have much more fun with the stug 3 and above. So imo, hetzer is just a transition td and not worth spending too much ressources/time.


True, but it's good to get used to the 10.5 for use on the Stug, as it's still a viable choice (especially with all the heavies running around right now, the L70 isn't as good...)

@isoltl #10 Posted Sep 05 2010 - 23:54

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 149
  • Member since:
    08-29-2010

View PostHLS30, on Sep 05 2010 - 21:30, said:

True, but it's good to get used to the 10.5 for use on the Stug, as it's still a viable choice (especially with all the heavies running around right now, the L70 isn't as good...)

With the camo net on the hetzer you can hide in bushes and people will pass right be you, exposing there backs which makes for some funny one shots sometimes xD

Napro #11 Posted Sep 06 2010 - 01:00

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 655
  • Member since:
    09-01-2010
Dont know what game you people are playing.. Ive hit Mediums at near point blank at the rear with a 10.5 and had it bounce off.
The only thing you can do with a hetzer is detrack heavies, for which i Prefer the PaK's refire rate

@morrica #12 Posted Sep 06 2010 - 01:10

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    07-29-2010
the 10.5cm with HE always worked the best for me...remember that damage not kills is what gets you the exp/credits.

TexasTC #13 Posted Sep 06 2010 - 18:43

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 392
  • Member since:
    08-19-2010
10.5 with HE. Can't agree more. And as was mentioned, the camo net really really helps. Pick your fights at close range, at long range just let em have it. That said, get the STUGIII soon as you can, and use 10.5 in it too. Big improvement to life expectancy.

HLS30 #14 Posted Sep 06 2010 - 20:21

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    07-11-2010
Camo net really does help? Guess I'll try it out on my Stug. Is it the same as the rammers that you can't remove it afterwords though?

damoven #15 Posted Sep 06 2010 - 22:15

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 19
  • Member since:
    09-01-2010
I've found the Hetzer to be nothing more than a useless pig of a tank. In the Marder and the other lighter TD I can do well on maps, sometimes getting 5 and 6 kills. In the Hetzer (even with upgraded 10.5cm gun) I just don't seem to do any good at all. I thought the bigger gun would be better but I find that to even have a hope of doing dmg I have to run quite close to enemies, and in that situation the gun is too slow to reload.

Can't wait to get away from the lumbering beast TBH. I've spent more time in the Marder and converted the XP.

Venusius #16 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 10:18

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 23
  • Member since:
    09-05-2010
I miss my Marder II. This tank is poor in terms of spotting the enemy - heavy tanks normally spot me first instead of the other way around (unlike the Marder II). The arc of fire is also very narrow and makes shooting moving targets quite challenging. I can't wait to upgrade to the Stug. The gun is sweet though. 105mm is quite an upgrade but as I've said, the inherent weakness of the tank makes the gun less effective. When I first bought this tank I thought it should do well with its sloped armour and low profile, sadly it wasn't so.

Elysion #17 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 07:25

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 801
  • Member since:
    08-29-2010
I think the fully upgraded Hetzer is more enjoyable to drive than the fully upgraded StuG.

Ghoststalker #18 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 00:06

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 21
  • Member since:
    07-20-2010

View PostElysion, on Sep 08 2010 - 07:25, said:

I think the fully upgraded Hetzer is more enjoyable to drive than the fully upgraded StuG.

Enjoying the scenery much?

@morrica #19 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 00:17

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    07-29-2010

View PostVenusius, on Sep 07 2010 - 10:18, said:

I miss my Marder II. This tank is poor in terms of spotting the enemy - heavy tanks normally spot me first instead of the other way around (unlike the Marder II). The arc of fire is also very narrow and makes shooting moving targets quite challenging. I can't wait to upgrade to the Stug. The gun is sweet though. 105mm is quite an upgrade but as I've said, the inherent weakness of the tank makes the gun less effective. When I first bought this tank I thought it should do well with its sloped armour and low profile, sadly it wasn't so.


Plan your hide and exit path...choose your target..take the shot and run like hell

Shigure #20 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 05:57

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 462
  • Member since:
    08-01-2010
It really is a shame that the Hetzer, such a good TD in real life, is passed through with as much haste as possible in game. I didn't mind my time in the Hetzer but i'll admit I was glad to pick up the Stug and my L/70(which I love and still use on my JpzIV). The 10.5cm on the Hetzer is probably the best way to get through it but I wouldn't recommend using it after you've gotten ahold of the L/70. You'll pick up bad habits.