REAL female crew

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

DemilichKing #1 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 05:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hey folks I've seen tons and tons of mods which turn your crew into little anime girls with shrieking voices. Frankly I'd rather shoot myself and I think it is kind of a disservice to the real women who fought in the war. Of course most if not all came from the Soviet side.

Anyways is there any REAL female crew member mods? If not who is with me in making one? I don't knoqw how to turn them into the appropriate files but I can gather the necessary audio clips and photos. Seriously I have a lot of Russian war movies. The German voices will be harder to find but not impossible and there are millions of movies and TV shows we can take the US ones from. Actually I can probably get most of the french audio as well.

Posted Image  

http://www.thedarkpa...les/shanina.jpg

I'm not going to make this perfect like if I can find a pic of female army reservists I'll just use that. Anyway im going to get started send me a PM or post here to throw your hat in.

ForcestormX #2 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 05:56

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 0 battles
I don't have the technical knowledge to assist but I'd def like to get a download when it's done. Good idea.

cyborg7th #3 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 06:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Girls with guns... I'm down... good luck with this, I can't wait to see it

FreeFOXMIKE #4 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 06:58

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Excellent  Idea ,and a tribute the the fine WW2 Russian Female Fighters.  And can Be extended to the IDF fighters  if the war of Liberation in 48

AmericanGirl #5 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 07:12

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
This really is a good idea. Personally, I'm tired of having other players ask me if I'm really a girl and saying only guys play this game. Women do fight, and women do game. I'd love to have my crew consist of real women and not anime girls (I didn't even know that mod existed). Anyway, I have no knowledge of how to do it but kudos to you DemilichKing for pursuing it! IDK what I could do to help but I'd be willing if I did. Sign me up as very interested.

DemilichKing #6 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 07:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFreeFOXMIKE, on Jan 07 2012 - 06:58, said:

Excellent  Idea ,and a tribute the the fine WW2 Russian Female Fighters.  And can Be extended to the IDF fighters  if the war of Liberation in 48

I'm just going to use pictures of women in any uniform for the non-russian nations or even something like this:
Posted Image

If you cropped out most of the picture they're be no way of knowing it wasn't a tank. Bingo! Radio operator.

Here's another.
Posted Image

Crop it to just her head and it would make a good commander pic.

I just found it silly that there was so many mods for girls who wanted a female tank crew but no real women in them. As much as this game has to shirk reality to make itself fun I think there is still a big chunk of reality in it. I have the mod which turns my crew portraits into actual photos from the time. I think that adds a nice touch and brings an air of authenticity to WoT.  So it is somewhat of a travesty that the only way to find women in the game right now is by inserting poorly drawn pop culture into the mix.

tank_o_honey #7 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 07:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've no knowledge of how to accomplish this, but I think it's a great idea and look forward to seeing where the idea goes!

DemilichKing #8 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 07:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAmericanGirl, on Jan 07 2012 - 07:12, said:

This really is a good idea. Personally, I'm tired of having other players ask me if I'm really a girl and saying only guys play this game. Women do fight, and women do game. I'd love to have my crew consist of real women and not anime girls (I didn't even know that mod existed). Anyway, I have no knowledge of how to do it but kudos to you DemilichKing for pursuing it! IDK what I could do to help but I'd be willing if I did. Sign me up as very interested.

If you find any great old photos of women from around the time even if they aren't in a tank or even in the army post them here. If anyone finds any pics of women in factories lifting shells that would be perfect for loaders.

I know that there were reserve units made up entirely of women. So bottom line: I just want to get some real faces into this game. Eff historical accuracy it will still be more real than every other mod I've seen.

http://med-dept.com/...ges/recruit.jpg

This is from the nursing corps but again simple crop to just above the brim of her hat and perfecto. Who knew she wasn't a tanker?

PS: anyone know a good free program for ripping bits of audio from video files?

D1true #9 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 21:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
My link

Thought this link might help you in your endeavors.

Topato #10 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 21:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostD1true, on Jan 07 2012 - 21:21, said:

My link

Thought this link might help you in your endeavors.

be careful on this link my malware program just blocked that site.

DemilichKing #11 Posted Jan 07 2012 - 23:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the link I'll check it out further later. Just to be clear though this isn't intended to be a "sexy" mod. More like a what if more women did fight in the war type thing. I've found a couple of photo collections myself.

This one in particular is nice\/
http://www.amusingpl...orld-war-2.html

I like getting photos where they are doing something dangerous such as building bombs or spotting bombers at night. They always seem to be smiling no matter what. I'm sure this is something they were told to do as not to dampen the spirits of those looking at them. All the same it gives the impression of a fearless female tank crew who laughs at danger and is a nice counterpoint to the stern vanilla portraits too.

Big ups and many thanks to Lady_Athena who has pointed me in the right direction and offered advice and answers to my questions.

tank_o_honey #12 Posted Jan 08 2012 - 06:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
How about either of these?

Posted Image

Posted Image

NedJasons #13 Posted Jan 08 2012 - 09:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
please do, those anime skins annoy me as well.

D1true #14 Posted Jan 08 2012 - 10:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
My link

This is without a doubt the best female crew mod in my opion. The only problem is it is just for the USA crews. wish the author would come out with a german,russian and now a french versions.

Themutt36 #15 Posted Jan 09 2012 - 04:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
The Israelis have female tankers currently and I know the Russians did in WWII.  Read a story of one Russian woman named Maria Somethingavich that after her family was killed by the Germans,  bought her own T34/76, got certified to drive it and did well in it for over 2 years.  She had her tank damaged a number of times and eventually became the commander.  She won a number of medals before she was killed in '44 I believe.  She named her tank Maria's Tank.

Shadowfury1156 #16 Posted Jan 10 2012 - 00:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostD1true, on Jan 08 2012 - 10:48, said:

My link

This is without a doubt the best female crew mod in my opion. The only problem is it is just for the USA crews. wish the author would come out with a german,russian and now a french versions.
I was about to link to this but you beat me to it. About the best option you guys have as far as things available, but it shouldn't be hard to crop some pictures together to make a quick mod.

flatline23 #17 Posted Jan 10 2012 - 01:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
This would be awesome, and yes it gets tired being asked 8P

Anyways, I cant do much in the graphics department but I've gotten reasonably good at dealing with the WoT sound files, so if someone wants to step up and get some samples of the various language events then I can probably patch together something that'll work in the game.

American_Girl #18 Posted Jan 10 2012 - 03:00

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Here's a pic of Russian women greasing artillery shells prior to packing. I'm still looking for more. :) BTW I'm not sure how to put the pic on here so it might not show up. I know the link works though.

Bruski #19 Posted Jan 15 2012 - 11:09

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Maybe you'll find this to be of use? http://www.retronaut...-women-of-wwii/