Tiger II equipment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

Sander93 #21 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 22:31

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I use my King Tiger as a stationary gun platform that can take a punch while defending and I do it with great effect. Got 100% crew with 3x repairs and 2x firefighting. Equipment features spall liner, rammer and stabilizer. I happily use the 10.5. A little less accurate than the 88 but it rarely bounces anything smaller than IS4s and it does quite some damage. Getting an avarage of 40-60k a round with premium, I have no trouble at all keeping it up or dealing with the expensive shells. Like all high tiers, play smart and you shall be rewarded. Treat it like a Maus and you get obliterated without mercy.

Actually, in the past three days without playing a whole lot (about 60 battles I think) I've made a million credits with it and only had maybe one or two rounds instantly getting p0wnd by an IS7 making a loss (like -1/5k). I've never had a better moneymaker.

VintageMetal #22 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 00:46

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6212 battles

View PostSander93, on Sep 07 2010 - 22:31, said:

I use my King Tiger as a stationary gun platform that can take a punch wh
ile defending and I do it with great effect. Got 100% crew with 3x repairs and 2x firefighting. Equipment features spall liner, rammer and stabilizer. I happily use the 10.5. A little less accurate than the 88 but it rarely bounces anything smaller than IS4s and it does quite some damage. Getting an avarage of 40-60k a round with premium, I have no trouble at all keeping it up or dealing with the expensive shells. Like all high tiers, play smart and you shall be rewarded. Treat it like a Maus and you get obliterated without mercy.

Actually, in the past three days without playing a whole lot (about 60 battles I think) I've made a million credits with it and only had maybe one or two rounds instantly getting p0wnd by an IS7 making a loss (like -1/5k). I've never had a better moneymaker.
I am new to the kt,could you give me some tips as to how you do so well with it? Thanks in advance

Skwabie #23 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 05:16

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3 battles
hmm
I see lots of guys here use gyro stabilizer. Why is it preferred over gun laying drive? As a heavy tank you'd usually stop and shoot instead of firing on the move no?

I was thinking about a GLD, a rammer and a spall liner. Now I'm not so sure about the first one...

Sander93 #24 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 10:11

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Post740thSgtMiles, on Sep 08 2010 - 00:46, said:

I am new to the kt,could you give me some tips as to how you do so well with it? Thanks in advance

Make good use of cover, try not to rush but stay back a little. Let the IS tanks do that. It's more effective staying back and covering them with accurate fire. Find some good spots on maps, and just play a lot to learn where the weakpoints of other KTs and the IS tanks are. Use HEAT on IS4/IS7s and their German equivalents, since no tank can withstand a 10.5cm HE round. It damages them 5-10% a round, which is way better than the 80% bounces you get using AP on them over distances.
Oh, and if there's arty, stay in cover untill theyve been taken out. A big heavy tank attracts arty like its magnetic.
Your front armor is superior to almost any other tank, use it well. I always try to set up my tank behind cover in a way that if I move forward to shoot, I expose my front armor rather than my much weaker side armor.
Same goes for one on one battles, if you're being flanked, make sure to keep turning your front armor towards them.
Also, know when to retreat. Say you're defending a canyon but you're about to get overrun, take no shame in backing up to a new, better defensive location. It might be honourless, but there's no advantage in going down in a useless showdown with flanking enemy tanks.

Overall: as I already said, treat it like it's made out of chocolate and just has a very big gun. If you go into battle thinking this thing is a heavily armored mobile fortress ready to charge into IS-xs and TDs you'll end up dead pretty soon.

View PostSkwabie, on Sep 08 2010 - 05:16, said:

hmm
I see lots of guys here use gyro stabilizer. Why is it preferred over gun laying drive? As a heavy tank you'd usually stop and shoot instead of firing on the move no?

I was thinking about a GLD, a rammer and a spall liner. Now I'm not so sure about the first one...

With a 100% crew and the stabilizer, when driving at full speed and stopping it only takes like a second to settle your aim. Also, moving the turret around has no more effect on accuracy anymore. Thats why the GLD is kind of useless.
And above all, the +20 accuracy while on the move is very effective at close ranges flanking combat. Since it already reduces your accuracy this much while moving, you dont need the GLD because the settle time from 80 (which would be 100 without the stabilizer) to 0 is quick enough should you stop. See, because the KT needs a long time to stop fully and the settle time already begins counting down as soon as you hit the brakes, I always get 100% accuracy just a moment after I've completely come to a halt. IMO, stabilizer is better than GLD.

Kruppstahlterminator #25 Posted Sep 09 2010 - 18:29

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I would train the hole crew on firefighting, because german tanks in this game love to burn like hell :(

The vertical stabiliser isn't so effective (i have it and i wish i never bought it...), i can't recognize any difference. You are hiting a bit better when you are moving, but when you are standing/camping (what is the KTs job :)), than you will nearly never hit a tank which is moving horizontal to you.

The Rammer and the anti-HE-15%-thing (i don't know how the name is in English^^) is also very usefull, the 3rd equipment depends on you. I would recomment the wet ammo rack or the 10%-faster-targeting-equipment to you :)

Sander93 #26 Posted Sep 09 2010 - 22:40

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostKruppstahlterminator, on Sep 09 2010 - 18:29, said:

I would train the hole crew on firefighting, because german tanks in this game love to burn like hell :(
163 battles in Tiger II since beta and I had one single fire, which got extinquished right away because I had the consumable extinquishers and 2 crew now at 95% firefighting. Might have to do with the Spall Liner I have installed, but fire sure is one thing I never have to worry about.

3cxO #27 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 15:07

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 33033 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
Edit: sorry for the long post, just noticed how long it turned out :<

View PostPzGrenKdr, on Sep 07 2010 - 07:48, said:

mhm why gain the IS-3/4 more money? Their amo costs also 1024/680 with the 122er and 1140/980 for the 130er. I had no Tiger befor wipe but a IS-4  and i learnt how to shoot and save rounds. Also witha AFL you have rarley porbs with the Gunner/Loader.

Sorry for the late reply, I know this is 3 days late :<

Onwards with the explanation. The IS-3/4 make more because of 2 factors.

Damage per shell and rof.

The 122/130 are slower than their counterparts but they do more damage per shot.
In practice, let's imagine a target with 1300 hp. Lets call it RandomExample :P

Scene setting:
RandomExample is afk, no other enemies are present. Both are at 100% with no damaged modules or crew. Also, there aren't any bounces, dings, 0% penetrating shots or any damage oscilation. Just pen for full value. Penetration for the BL-9 is the same as the 10.5 L/68. We'll be using AP due to less damage dispersion and highest pen value.

KT vs RandomExample

KT shoots a 1st round; -320hp. RandomExample now sits at 980 hp. -1030 credits for the KT
...more shots ensue...
KT shoots a 4th round; -320 hp. RandomExample now sits at 20 hp. -1030 credits for the KT
KT rams RandomExample for the last 20hp to save a bullet avoiding a 1030 credit bill (sensible).

Result, -4120 credits for the Kt for that kill.

IS-3 vs RandomExample

IS-3 shoots a 1st round; -390 hp. RandomExample now sits at 910 hp. -1025 credits for the IS-3
...more shots...
IS-3 shoots a 3rd round, -390 hp. RandomExample now sits at 130 Hp. -1025 credits for the IS-3
Now we are presented with a choice:
				   A -> IS-3 rams for the remaining 130 hp; avoids 1025 credits.
				   B -> IS-3 shoots a 4th round, -1025 credits.
Result, Situation A -> -3075 credits for the IS-3
		Situation B -> -4100 credits for the IS-3

So, the IS-3, will for the same money do more damage, over a little bit more time (due to rof). So HP dealt per Credit spent, is better on the IS-3.

PS: Also, before people say I engineered the HP value of RandomExample to suit the situation, take in consideration, that's the highest HP value on a Panther - fully upgraded. Just a random pick at my garage :) A vk31p with it's 680/700 hp (iirc) would even illustrate this better :)

Drahkar #28 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 15:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7027 battles
It sucks that people started an internet arguement over the worth of the 10.5cm TigerII gun when this topic is supposed to discuss crew specializations (camo/firefighter/repair) and equipment (wet rack/rammer and others). I may start a new thread about the original topic since this one has been ruined, or wait for a mod to clean up this mess.

Sander93 #29 Posted Sep 12 2010 - 01:45

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Or you could just read for five minutes and figure out we already pretty much universally agreed on 2x firefighting and 3x repairs or reversed for crew skills and rammer, spall liner and stabilizer/GLD for equipment before we started that other discussion.

sk1rge #30 Posted Sep 12 2010 - 10:32

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have all 5 crew on repair, and I'm fine with that. I usually get gun or turret damage, so they help me the most like that. Gonna get that the equipment that sander mentioned, saving up for that atm.

View PostBeorix, on Sep 07 2010 - 13:20, said:

Don't be fooled, i love german tanks, but clearly devs have made russian tanks overpowered, i don't care if another peoples flame me, i say what i want to say.

Have to agree here. The IS-4 and T-44 are the 2 best tanks in game atm. Since arty is so powerful, their higher speed makes them even more superior to their counterparts, as they have a lot better survivability. Hitting a T-44 with a heavy gun needs a lot of luck, then you get bounces and low damage. You can make up to that with a good team, so I enjoy my KT, but IF there would be a softwipe again, I would definitely go the russian line.

Most devs seem to be patriotic russians...

killakanz #31 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 12:33

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
hmm. Bought myself a King Tiger finally. To start with, my god it's slow. Upgrade engine and tracks as quickly as possible.

I have since got the second gun, the 10.5cm KwK45. Now the ammo for it is ludicrously expensive and, I found, very ineffective. The AP was bouncing off, well, everything; VK3601s, T-44s, T34-85s. It's expensive rubbish. I did much more penetrating and damage with the 88mm, so I went back to it.

Also, being the King Tiger, it's a magnet for artillery and enemy tanks just gang up on you all the time. I have lots more fun playing Tiger 1 and Vk3601.

Skwabie #32 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 00:15

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3 battles

View Postkillakanz, on Sep 13 2010 - 12:33, said:

hmm. Bought myself a King Tiger finally. To start with, my god it's slow. Upgrade engine and tracks as quickly as possible.
if you come from tiger 1 they share the same engine and you can use it. Actually I find the KT very good with only track upgrade while everything else stock (with top engine from tiger1 ofc). The porsche turret has a good turn rate and is very useful in city battles, and while it has less armor and HP, it also reduces repair cost by 2k.

I have since got the second gun, the 10.5cm KwK45. Now the ammo for it is ludicrously expensive and, I found, very ineffective. The AP was bouncing off, well, everything; VK3601s, T-44s, T34-85s. It's expensive rubbish. I did much more penetrating and damage with the 88mm, so I went back to it.
the 2nd gun is sh*t!!!

Also, being the King Tiger, it's a magnet for artillery and enemy tanks just gang up on you all the time. I have lots more fun playing Tiger 1 and Vk3601.
Yep I still make mistakes sometimes by going into the open. Always find good covers from arty....
(Bloody OPed arty, IS and T44s!!!!)

Tiny #33 Posted Sep 27 2010 - 23:43

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Has anyone tried the KWK46 L68 ?

If I'm not mistaken that is indeed the REALLY long gun and I have NEVER seen it on a King Tiger in game? But you do see it alot on the VK4502.

I can unlock it and afford it so ......  :Smile-izmena:

Sander93 #34 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 06:50

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The longbarrel 10.5? Sure, I use it. Gives a nice boost against IS tanks and stuff. But you gotta be willing to hand in a lot of cash for it. 1k credits a shell is quite expensive for the relatively low edge it gives over the 8.8 shells that cost only 1/4th of it. But I like it.

Anyways why you never see the 10.5 is because the model for that gun is exactly the same as the 88. And it's not the very long VK45 gun, that's a 128mm or something.

vince_grant #35 Posted Sep 29 2010 - 17:11

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The King Tiger is easily my best and most fun tank to drive. I have T-44, SU-8, KT and Jagdtiger.

The long 105mm is a beast, great damage, great penetration, really good accuracy with good aim time. I recently got the vertical stabilizer and that thing just boosts the tanks performance by 50-100% imo. The ability to move and shoot accurately is priceless, and it does lower the aim time quite a bit.

The KT doesn't suffer from excessive module damage like the Tiger, and is only 2km/h slower with better armor and vastly better gun. Only downsides i see, is the ultra heavy upgraded turret (which imo is too slow rotating to warrant its use) and the really expensive ammo. But why anyone would use the 88mm with KT is beyond me. The 105mm is just that much better  :Smile-izmena:

idfor #36 Posted Oct 01 2010 - 03:05

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i've got KT with the final gum since the wipe,after so many battles i changed my gun back to the 88mm and i have to say its much more suit for KT imo
better ROF better acc. and the of course shells are much much much cheaper.
so it maybe isnt as nasty as the 105 but its still do the work

Sander93 #37 Posted Oct 01 2010 - 15:11

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
One very big advantage of the 10.5 is the faster settle time. With vertical stabilizer, I have no more deviation when turning the turret, and when stopping it takes only 1-1,5 seconds to fully settle. This is a huge difference with the 88 and also balances the longer reload.

Sander93 #38 Posted Oct 01 2010 - 15:12

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
aah ffs there we go again, quote button instead of edit  <_<

blilov #39 Posted Oct 01 2010 - 20:24

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Guys, I have KT with the short 105 and stock turret. What should I get next - the turret or to save up for the long 105?

whiteman #40 Posted Oct 01 2010 - 21:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1803 battles
i went ahead and got the gun before the turret and didn't regret it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users