Game settings in preferences.xml

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
195 replies to this topic

Ehre #141 Posted Jan 28 2011 - 12:18

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postalex3192, on Jan 19 2011 - 23:29, said:

What are you to do if you use XP but don't have the W folder in app settings?

(My client doesn't run or make an error- maybe this is why)

There is no W, and no preferences.xml

This is the third time I tried to install WoT, so should I try to re-download the installer and try it again?

A

View Posttitopopo, on Jan 27 2011 - 15:12, said:

I can't seem to find the "new" preference.xml file on my PC. Only one in the  F:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\res\particles\Tank, and i can't read a word in the file with all those weird wordings.

How do i find the "new" preference.xml or how to convert those weird wordings to english? lol. thanks.

Using WindowsXP.

i think the original post should have this info updated to avoid further confusion.

since a few patches ago, the preferences.xml file is now in:

\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks\

@Horus_enlisted_for_delet #142 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 15:32

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
This is what I did to fix the AA and AF from showing up greyed out. Turn the Post Processing off and then you can change the AA and AF to whatever you desire. If like me you have nVidia then you don't have to worry about having the setting 'Enhanced' via the nVidia control panel you can up them to the max, in game, and have a very very very smooth game play. This should also work for you guys that are trying to tweak to get the game to run smoothly on laptops or under powered desktops.

Have fun.

Pyr0freak #143 Posted Mar 05 2011 - 00:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Is there any way to turn off the sparks from the bullets when you shoot in first person?

My FPS goes down to 2 when I fire a bullet with a tank higher than Tier 2. Normally, it's 20.

All answers appreciated ;)

Pyr0freak #144 Posted Mar 05 2011 - 23:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Anyone?

merig00 #145 Posted Mar 06 2011 - 00:14

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You need to remove the appropriate files.... i just don't know which ones :)

Rexxie #146 Posted Mar 23 2011 - 20:22

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Can I ask why the option "terrain_mesh_resolution" is not available to be changed via the In-Game GUI menu, but is the one option that effects my machine more then anything? Setting this from the unchangeable default of 0 to the lowest setting of 2 quadrupled by FPS from 5 to 20. This should be changed ASAP.

shcboomer #147 Posted Mar 24 2011 - 04:58

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just thought I would point out, the easiest way of accessing the Application Data folder is to type in

%appdata%
into file explorer(Basically any Windows window ie. My Computer, Any folder, etc.). This leads you straight to the Application Data folder for your account, so there is less digging involved. Hope this helps some people who can't find their Application Data folder.

Racek #148 Posted Mar 24 2011 - 13:13

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postpauthority, on Oct 27 2010 - 16:46, said:

I'm trying to set a custom resolution for my laptop. 1600x900 is my native but i'd like something lower, but not all the preset resolutions are with the same aspect ratio. I tried editing custom resolutions manually, for example 1280x720, but when I start the game it reverts to 1024x768. Even tried setting the file to read-only, but it didn't help. Any ideas? I've been using that 1280x800 preset but that creates black bands on the sides of my screen (scaling problem propably, but there is no setting for that in catalyst control center).

edit: ok wtf, I don't know what I did differently (propably nothing) but now 1280x720 started working properly. Strange.

bumping

Simillar problem, winXP, windowed mode, game automaticly resets resolution after each battle/garrage screen to monitor's native resolution, which is indicated by a small star next to it. If I want to play in windowed mode in different resolution than native, I have to set it manually each game. I tried to set it manually in .xml and set it to read only, no change.
Did I missed the solution somewhere?

kursk39 #149 Posted Apr 18 2011 - 01:06

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I found Preferences but how i open notepad to edit them?

xGear #150 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 05:01

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostPyr0freak, on Mar 05 2011 - 00:46, said:

Is there any way to turn off the sparks from the bullets when you shoot in first person?

My FPS goes down to 2 when I fire a bullet with a tank higher than Tier 2. Normally, it's 20.

All answers appreciated ;)
http://forum.worldof...-pack-and-more/

Found it here, the difference it makes is awesome xD. Go down to smoke and open up the spoiler tags, you have to replace the shots files with the files you download in that topic.

Just noticed how old that post was lol, but anyways that's a great topic for anybody having FPS troubles. Totally suggest replacing the smoke and scope shadows.

MontRoyal #151 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 03:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostxGear, on Apr 19 2011 - 05:01, said:

http://forum.worldof...-pack-and-more/

Found it here, the difference it makes is awesome xD. Go down to smoke and open up the spoiler tags, you have to replace the shots files with the files you download in that topic.

Just noticed how old that post was lol, but anyways that's a great topic for anybody having FPS troubles. Totally suggest replacing the smoke and scope shadows.

I know I might be a bit dense here... but can somebody help specifically tell me exactly WHERE on a windows 7 system, can I find these exact "shots files" that I can replace? I can't seem to find them anywhere on my computer.

MontRoyal #152 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 09:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postmerig00, on Jul 08 2010 - 17:23, said:

DISCLAIMER YOU ARE DOING ALL THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HAPPEN, UNLESS IT WORKS THAN YOU CAN SAY THANK YOU :D

Also if you really need to boost FPS you can remove some file:

REMOVING CLOUDS:
Find the following folder WOT=>Res=>Maps=>Skyboxes and rename Skyboxes for example as Skyboxes2

REMOVING FIRE AND SMOKE FROM BURNING TANKS:
Find the following folder WOT=>Res=>particles=>Tank
Rename the files containing the following in their names
Explosion
Fire
Flaming
Add number 2 to the name (i.e. fire_12/fire_22/fire_32 etc.)

REMOVING SMOKE FROM TANK EXHAUST
Get to World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\res\particles\Tank

Find files engine_exit_diesel and engine_exit_gass

Replace them with files attached to this post. Don't forget to save somewhere the original files.

Why is it that I cannot find those files/folders inside MY computer? I have the WOT folders... but nothing inside them?

McSLAPaH03 #153 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 10:59

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
thanks

deltafarce #154 Posted May 01 2011 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Put mesh res on 2 and took out clouds, boosted my FPS from 3-4 to 12-20, thanks!

Brock7142 #155 Posted May 02 2011 - 05:08

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I was wondering if you can tell me what I've done wrong... I've been playing with some prefrence settings.

These are the changed settings
all I changed was the first section of the preferences.xml
And now, I'm stuck with this result:

I cannot see Grass, hills, or dirt.

Posted Image

Any help would be appreciated to allow viewing of grass, hills, and dirt LOL

Thanks for any help.

EDIT situation resolved. Thank you.

merig00 #156 Posted May 04 2011 - 02:43

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Delete the preference file. The game will create a new default one

Deathbunny #157 Posted May 04 2011 - 07:22

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBrock7142, on May 02 2011 - 05:08, said:

I was wondering if you can tell me what I've done wrong... I've been playing with some prefrence settings.

These are the changed settings
all I changed was the first section of the preferences.xml
And now, I'm stuck with this result:

I cannot see Grass, hills, or dirt.

Posted Image

Any help would be appreciated to allow viewing of grass, hills, and dirt LOL

Thanks for any help.

EDIT situation resolved. Thank you.

How?

MontRoyal #158 Posted May 14 2011 - 22:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostP4nBobr, on Aug 08 2010 - 11:40, said:

I had the same problem. The solution is turning off the smoke, that comes out of the barrel after firing. You can do this by renaming the file "shot_main.xml" in the "C:\Program Files\World of Tanks\res\particles\Tank". I have 5 xml files starting with "shot" and tried to rename every one of them, but only renaming shot_main.xml seems to be affecting the smoke from the barrel.
It looks little wierd without the smoke but you can see where your shot landed and adjust the next shot accordingly.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I know this is an old post, but I've been looking everywhere for ANYTHING that could help... and while I still have issues with other effects... THIS one definitely helps! It seems like with my computer EVERY little effect in sniper zoom mode makes the FPS drop... and removing the extra smoke helps JUST that much more! thank you so much.

TRUBLE #159 Posted May 18 2011 - 03:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Ok I am having major fps issues and I was wondering if some1 would be kind enough to tell me what fixes to use from this post and do they work with the new patch. It would be gr8tly appreciated.  :Smile_honoring: For example i now have tank exhaust and i would like to cut it off. If someone would please give clear directions for this and any other fixes it would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit of a computer dummy so plz take that into consideration. Thanks again. :Smile_honoring:

King_Dopplepopolis #160 Posted May 18 2011 - 06:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRex_Nex, on Mar 23 2011 - 20:22, said:

Can I ask why the option "terrain_mesh_resolution" is not available to be changed via the In-Game GUI menu, but is the one option that effects my machine more then anything? Setting this from the unchangeable default of 0 to the lowest setting of 2 quadrupled by FPS from 5 to 20. This should be changed ASAP.

This had the exact effect you described.  I was pondering changing this setting and after seeing your post, I decided to give it a shot.  Awesome turnout~!  Thanks!