VK 4502 (P) Ausf. A

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Knightaudio #1 Posted Jan 11 2012 - 15:04

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Recently I made my first 50 battles in it.

It has a terrible tech tree. When I realised I needed to grind the Suspension before I could mount the 10.5cm L/52, I bought the Enhanced longitudinal bars for the suspension capacity, and then researched everything else first. The 500k was worth it.

The 10.5cm performs well for me, but I found that Tiger 2's are impossible to pen from a distance. Hit the lower glacis if you absolutely must in close range, otherwise save your ammo. It will pen the IS-3 most times, but it's still unreliable. Unfortunately, it does not rate well against fellow tier 8 heavies. The 4502 A has limited armour frontally, and can't hurt many tier 8's 9's or 10's unless you get a flank or a high roll. Take some HE.

It certainly has it's advantages though, it is nearly as fast and agile as many mediums. It is great at peekaboom; forward and reverse gears kick in fast.

If you want to fight with the 'big' heavies, use them as a shield. When everyone fires, you quickly pop out and get a shot off. The 4502 A is not sluggish and you can dodge arty pretty easily.

It's high profile sorta kills the idea of playing mobile TD, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Peace,
Knightaudio

*edit: I would love to hear other experiences with it and tips as well

steel_eater #2 Posted Jan 11 2012 - 19:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
My experience with it:

- You are not a heavy tank, you are an overweight medium. Play like a medium, you stand no chance in a front vs front engagement against a real t8 heavy.
- You will struggle to scratch tanks bigger than you from a distance. Get close and flank, remember.. medium tactics.
- You have no armor against anything with 200mm+ pen. It doesn't matter if you angle or not, everything will come through. Avoid exposing yourself to fire altogether when facing high tiers.
- You are an excellent tank when stomping low tier tanks due to your great DPM; your armor also works well against guns with 175mm pen or less.

I will advice against using torsion bars. It's better to get tracks for the mobility boost; long 88 suffice for the most part. With stock tracks, the tank is extremely sluggish due to horrible passability.

Personally, I do not like this tank. It simply feels like a gimped IS-3. The 4502A just cannot live up to it's matchmaking weight of a t8 heavy when placed in a sea of tier 9 and 10 tanks.

KillaJules #3 Posted Jan 12 2012 - 02:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
In contrast I found this tank incapable of performing peek-a-boom. Great acceleration in forward and reverse is no advantage if every hit breaks the tracks. Track repair time was absurdly long and the side armour is so tall and weak that the IS-3 is both a better medium and a better heavy.

Antare #4 Posted Jan 12 2012 - 03:21

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Steeleater got it spot on with it being an overweight medium.

I'll add my own 2 cents, try to support mediums by going down medium routes.

Granted you will be a bit slower to the battle than true mediums but when you do arrive at the furball between your teams meds and the enemy's meds you WILL make a huge difference thanks to your gun, decent armor and the fact that the enemy will be craping his pants when they realize that your teams meds brought along a heavy.

steel_eater #5 Posted Jan 12 2012 - 04:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Oh and one more thing, ramming mediums is extremely effective due to how bloody heavy you are. Slamming into a type 59 will take off his tracks and 300+ hp.

FAST #6 Posted Feb 20 2012 - 09:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I play this tank like my T-25 (tier V premium tank) its good for sniping from a distance though, I still have the L/71 for this tank but I'm gonna buy the 10.5 cm gun ones. I think this tank is not good when played in close combat, long range combat such as sniping should be great for this tank.