So where do you aim on the IS-4 IS-7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

__SNIPER__74 #1 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 00:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25383 battles
  • [F--H] F--H
Since they seem to constitute at least 3/4s of the SH tanks it seems useful to know your experiences.

For my part,

-I've learned that as in most vehicles, do not aim at the turret.Ever.  Even large weapons usually deflect off. If they are only giving you the turret to shoot, then I suppose try to hit the gun if you can, perhaps damage it. Addition to this, autoaim usually seems to put marker at center mass which usually has you aiming at bottom of turret,,, not good.  

=The track area seems to reliably, well track them. I penetrate this area on the -4 and -7 but at least half the time the shot will simply track instead of penetrate, which is of really only limited utility if you're not trying to circle strafe them (go ahead and try that in a 4502 or Tiger B ).

-The rear armor of the IS-7 is the one well known weak spot, the IS-4 as well has it's thinnest armor here. However let's assume you only have a front/side shot.

Looking at these pictures ,
http://ww2drawings.j...Stalin/IS-4.htm

The least slope on the IS-4 (and the -7) seems to be a small area above the tracks and below the turret. So I have tried aiming here and I suppose that it is as good , probably better than any when aiming at the side. I put tracks in yellow for half the time you'll just track and not penetrate.

Frontally on IS-4 I try to aim for the bottom half of the glacis, I think less armor there and not as sloped, but I could use confirmation of this.

Spoiler                     

This is what I think works,,, but I would love input, because these tanks are tough and I'm sure there are many here with more experience killing them then I do.

The_Prophet #2 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 16:01

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3 battles
The IS-4 frontal turret armour is 250mm thick, so I would highly suggest not aiming for it; however, as Gabriel stated, there is a small sweet-spot in between the track and the hull that almost any shell will cut through like butter if hit square-on.

Mko #3 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 17:18

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have jagdtiger with 128 L/61...strongest german gun

with normal AP ammo (276m penetration) it bounces off front of IS7 very often

at long range you need to be lucky to hit IS4/IS7, so aiming for a specific spot is useless

encountering IS4 at short range aim for the periscope in the fron of the hull (or directly below the periscope)...it has lower slope than the rest.

Flaashheart #4 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 17:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
As an IS-7 driver, it doesn't seem to matter where I get hit, the track goes, closely followed by 5 arty shells.

WNxJesus #5 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 18:33

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Well I don't really have any trouble penetrating both of those. Just one rule is to never aim at the turret, there is just no way to penetrate that, cuz they have really well shaped turrets with around and over 200mm armor. But I dunno what about you ,but I seem to penetrate their front quite often, like 1 out of 10 shots bounces. But the Maus on the other hand... I just take HE then and start damaging him 8% at a time :)

st33lcap #6 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 11:27

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
in case of a is-7 i always aim between the tracks and slightly above the tracks, keeps em from getting close to my ferdinand and does dmg them.
is-4 i dont worry to much, i hit them good except when i aim for the turret.

schurem #7 Posted Sep 09 2010 - 23:21

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
back of the turret, always good for fun times :D also, less chance of a return hit if you got to aim at that  :Smile_great:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users