T-28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

DSE #1 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 16:12

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 3409 battles
Try the following setup and it's a fun tank to drive, could damage heavies and if your in a group they usually don't pay much attention to you since there are bigger targets.

Gun 85mm F-30
Turret T-28 continental
Engine M-17F
Suspension T-28A
Radio 10R
(Enhanced candle suspension, optional)

This works for me gain creds fast and make quite a lot of kills with it :)

Kage_19K #2 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 16:45

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5 battles

View Postpq2u, on Sep 07 2010 - 16:15, said:

thanks for the reply but having trouble getting the xp to get to that level :)

You can do a couple of things to get the XP. First, upgrade your suspension and the engine in the T28 to the max first. Then try to be a scout in the early going, that way if (and when) you die you'll get some good XP.

Or you can transfer over XP from other tanks you may have.

Even though the T28 has horrible armor, it's quick strike ability with its large gun can do really well. I used to make alot of credits with my T28. When they did the patch recently I didn't get another one however since my Panther does much better.

As for the poster above saying they will ignore you if you're in a pack, I have to say otherwise. I'll go straight away for a T28 because I can kill a T28 in two shots (most of the time) and because it does have the potential to hurt me if I leave it alone for too long.

Veneroso #3 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 16:49

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14595 battles
  • [9THAR] 9THAR
Driving my T-28 made me feel like I was the hunchback of notre dame, not sure why >.>

Slogging through it, in retrospect, wasn't so bad.  I actually think it was more fun than the KV grind was.

As stated, upgrade your suspension and engine first, then your radio.  In the current age of super heavies you would be better off scouting and not killing.

seadevil001 #4 Posted Sep 07 2010 - 17:58

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 137 battles
Well, it two general lines of behavior for T-28.
1. Be a scout. So upgrade engine, radio and drive along the way. Never ever stop! BTW, you can ram LT and SPG.
2. Be a AT with turret. Get ZiS-4 or 8 first. Hide in the bushes. Use speed to get into places were you can get flanking shots from the distance.

Best of all, when you get enough expo you can combine at your will! Fully upgraded T-28 is my fun tank, put a periscope and camo net on it. Few map specific tips - on Ensk - get behind RR lines and snipe from the bushes, quick run to enemy base may be useful in second part of the game. Murovanka - get into the bushes near base and wait until first wave is over. Then proceed with caution to enemy base. Karelia - one good spot is on the "shelf" this is for bottom base on the left. For top base, on the left as well, behind rock with bush and single tree. Malinovka - on top base on the left little sauna is good hiding point. And so on, you got the idea.

del1000011228 #5 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 17:42

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I think the T28 gun is overpowered in my opinion, it can 2 shot a T34

seadevil001 #6 Posted Sep 08 2010 - 20:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 137 battles

View PostHojieko, on Sep 08 2010 - 17:42, said:

I think the T28 gun is overpowered in my opinion, it can 2 shot a T34
(innocently) Did you happen to drive that T34? Yeah, 85mm is formidable gun with HE rounds. I carry 25 HE and 20 HEAT in T-28, sometimes shoot almost all out.

MrFumbles #7 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 10:37

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Pre-patch that T28 was my first play-to-keep tank. The 85mm could penetrate even a tiger (well its behind for sure).
It had ok-ish speed and thanks to the 85mm the range to utilize it as a mobile sniper platform.
It helps that good arty never thinks of you as a priority target & bad arty usually cant hit you anyway.

If the 85mm is still out of reach, try one of the stubby guns & use it to intercept scouts in medium range around your arty.
Especially in concert with a TD, just drive up to them, detrack & bail the shit out (the last part is important).
The TD will make the kill, you will survive - rinse & repeat.

When you had your crew transferred over from another tank & its ~60-70% you might find that the T28 does not bleed
speed much while turning. That makes hello-wtfbbqloldeath strategies possible. Mount the gun with the highest damage
& penetration (for HE if you want), wait for an enemy thats busy dealing with someone else, drive to his rear and
say hello with your gun. Then RUN THE HECK AWAY! (works best on Ensk & Himmelsdorf)

panzergulo #8 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 17:13

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I really do like T-28 and intent on getting it in the release as well. It's light and poorly armored, sure, but it also has very good selection of guns (57mm ZiS-4, a rapid fire high velocity gun, and the 85mm gun), it has decent mobility, while it doesn't have excellent max speed, the acceleration and traverse rate are pretty good, making it a decent dogfighting tank (sometimes even better than T-34), and last, but not least, it's damn cheap to use!

I have figured out two or three ways to play this tank successfully:

1) Scout-killer/scout/anti-SPG: In the beginning of the battle, stay near your team's arties and kill all the enemy lights that come near, then after all the lights are dealt with, advance forwards, scout for your arty, try to sneak past enemy lines and destroy enemy arties. More easy say than done, but I have sometimes been able to kill the whole enemy artillery single-handedly.

2) Your regular medium tank: Stick with heavies and other mediums, do teamwork, use your mobility to your advantage, if you have your team's support, don't be afraid to engage even high tier enemies. I dogfight a lot with this tank, and I have killed numerous KVs, Tigers, and even a King Tiger. Sure, it took some time and I needed the support of my team's artillery, but I killed it eventually. Just drove around the KT, outrunning its turret and dealing hits on its sides and rear.

3) Turreted TD: Arm your T-28 with the 85mm gun, stay behind, stay in cover, hide and ambush. Or stay behind your team's heavies, when they engage the enemy support them from afar. If you see more powerful enemy coming towards you, run and flee, fall back, and regroup with your team.

How you should use your T-28 depends on many things, mostly about what kind of tanks the enemy has. If the matchmaker puts you into a low tier battle, arty-killer or "faux heavy" are good duties. If you're put into a high tier match with many SPGs, scout-killer/scout/anti-SPG or "normal medium tank" are good duties. If you're put into a high tier battle with few SPGs, "normal medium tank" or "faux TD" are good duties. In my experience the 57mm gun is better all-around cannon, while the 85mm suits better for TD tactics.

It might need a little bit of patience, but with some training and luck, this should become at least a tolerable vehicle. Once you get your KV, you start yearning back to your T-28, because KV just lacks the mobility.

But yeah... just my observations and experiences. Hopefully you find this helpful.

ZingFreelancer #9 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 00:06

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
With all due respect, that tank suck.
It suck so hard it makes typhoon look like child's play.

Let me explain, armor plating is at thin as a light tank, so if you poke your head out of cover or stop moving at max speed. Boom your dead.
Now even them best, most expensive gun is rather inaccurate, takes a lot of time and I mean a shit loads of time to zero out. By that time if you are enemy sees you, bye bye T-28.
My commander is at 100 while my gunner and driver is at 81. Yet some shitty panzer 3 tank with a tinny cannon can drive, stop for a second, shoot, hit, and keep on drivig right away (note my friend in that german tank didnt had his crew leveled up)
Now german tank panzer 3 have like 70/50 armor, his size is small and it has only 10 less HP fully upgraded than T-26 fully upgraded. Survivability of T-28 is terrible, sniping is ridiculously hard.

Now this tank would probably be very reliable and good if you was matched up with light and medium tanks. But when your in a game with 8 heavy tanks (KV's Tigers, ect), what the hell should you do????

dnarag1m #10 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 00:19

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I really like this tank with the 85mm or the 57mm ZIS-4 (Depending on your playstyle and opponents).

This tank _always_ needs to be a supporting tank. Let someone else take the damage, and you do the shooting...
You can chew up a Ferdinand or Tiger in no time with this puppy!

Sykotic #11 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 09:43

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3467 battles
  • [RDDTX] RDDTX
The T-28 is a stepping stone to KV and eventually the IS. It isn't horrible and I had fun in it, but it doesn't even compare to the T-34. I would suggest using the 57mm ZiS-4 over  the 85mm F-30. Better accuracy on the move and it reloads SO fast.

bubbs #12 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 12:04

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The T28 has a very powerful gun for a tank its size, and it's got high mobility. The only real flaw is its not-so-discreet profile. I usually aim for the T28 first because it's such a juicy kill. Easy to hit and usually oneshot with anything above 100mm.

Considering its design, play in a way which emphasizes your strengths. Try not to expose yourself unless absolutely necessary or unavoidable. Don't jump into the fray unless someone is already scouting for you. This way you can keep track of where the enemy is, and only engage from behind/side and/or when they are busy shooting something else. Then, as someone else pointed out in this thread, run the hell away. You're easy to hit and you don't have much armor - adapt your tactics to this!

sharlin648 #13 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 15:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 12362 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
I agree with Bubbs, about a hour ago I was in a battle and saw a Tiger or variant thereof engaged in a longrange gun duel with a KV on my side.  He was parked by a building and was trading rounds at long range so I charged him.  My T-28's got all the upgrades and the 57mm cannon.  By the time the Tiger saw me i'd landed 3 hits on him, two of which penetrated. I was still charging, weaving all over the place as best the 28 could.  The 57mm let me put three rounds down the range for every one he fired back.  I managed to cripple him, got round his side and I think jammed his turret and shot him in the ass a fair few times.  Unfortunately I was promptly malleted by a SU-76 that I didn't see but I had the pleasure of watching the Tiger brew up a second after I died as the KV hit him.  

The T-28 is a good tank, sure its got one hell of a profile on it and its thinly armoured but I think of it as a battlecruiser in naval parlance.  Fast, manouverable for its size, quite well armed and not well protected. The perfect heavy scout.

TomaszWadas #14 Posted Sep 19 2010 - 23:01

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
T-28 ist my personal the best on his tier :) 5-7 frags per battle ist normal with full upgrade.

Baconnaise #15 Posted Sep 20 2010 - 07:19

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17 battles
It's obvious that most of the responses in this thread encouraging you are from old experiences that are no longer valid today. I'm on my fourth day in this game and I will tell you straight up you will get tier 5+ heavies and even be the only medium with lights only on your team. The tank will be a complete chore and you might get lucky and eke out some decent scores like one in ten. Realistically it's the matchmaking system screwing you over here not the tank. It will do fine fully upgraded just like all the rest upgraded but you won't fight many in your tier or bracket enough to feel like it's worth it.

If you can farm free xp on another machine like an arty piece or TD then do so and skip the tank. The t-46 is a fun tank too but it's horrible due to the matchmaking system. You won't like it half the time trust me. KV-IS is the only way to go at this point since that is what you will face most games along with the german versions.

Artillery is the best farming period for new players since you can always eke out some kills on half dead tanks or other lights that happen to get unlucky with the matchmaking.

If you're new to the game welcome! Be prepared to face much higher level players even in your starter tanks.

Sigmund #16 Posted Sep 22 2010 - 08:34

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I actually liked this tank. Especially with the zis-4 or the 85mm. It can penetrate quite good, and dish out good amounts of damage. Two days ago I took up a nice position and sniped two KV-3's at distance with the 85. Did damage them a lot. It is also cheap to use, and you will make a profit even when non premium. It should even get better with better crew. (mines are in their 60%'s)
)

sharlin648 #17 Posted Sep 23 2010 - 18:22

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 12362 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Although I'm (hating) driving a KV-2 at the moment and trying to work to get the 102 mm gun I am still quite in love with my big, fragile but fast T-28.  I've sat back with the 85mm cannon and killed quite a few things and if my team decides to charge the T-28 can't half shift for something it's size.  Even when I get baby's first JS I will keep my fully upgraded T-28 because I love it and hug it and call it George.  

Yes you get the horrors of suddenly being the lightest thing on the map apart from arty against a tidal wave of Tigers, JS's and T-44s but even then I've had fun and caused damage, getting a kill here and there or at least battering someone so much they were a vulnerable target for another tank.

horacio #18 Posted Sep 24 2010 - 16:42

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I just bought the 85mm and it's awesome!
First two games: destroyed a Tiger, a Jagpanzer, 2 KV and seriously damaged a third one. I'm really enjoying being able to kick some thick metal asses  :Smile-izmena:

Sheogorath #19 Posted Sep 26 2010 - 09:54

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1676 battles
The 85mm is worth getting for one simple reason:
You can one-shot a lot of light tanks.

Nothing like the feeling of knocking out one of those flashy T-46 bastards who hunted you down mercilessly when you were stuck in an MS.  The fact that you can finally scratch the heavies with it is nice too.

With the 85 on board, I'm finally starting to rake in the creds and experience with the T-28.  Routinely getting 10,000+ cred and ~500/600xp per round is sweet.

The trick seems mostly to be to find a heavy, if possibly, and stick with him.  Play support, keep the flies off his back, and together you can deal with anything slow enough for him to track.

If that doesn't appeal (or there are no heavy tanks around) I find it's best to pretend you're a TD and find somewhere to ambush from.  If you're the sort who can't sit still, go arty hunting.  The 85 is a one-shot for those open arty vehicles with HE.

Taliesin #20 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 19:02

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5087 battles
Anyone else get weird matches with this tank ?
With all my other tanks win/lose is about 50/50 but with the t28 its 75% defeat =/
And i seem to always be on the same side on some maps.
Makes it real hard to get the next tank...
I often only get 35 exp for a battle :(