Are there hacks?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

Poll: Hacks (568 members have cast votes)

Do you believe hacks exist for this game?

1. Yes, I've witnessed it. (79 votes [13.91%])

Percentage of vote: 13.91%

2. No, I don't think so. (397 votes [69.89%])

Percentage of vote: 69.89%

3. Maybe (92 votes [16.20%])

Percentage of vote: 16.20%

Vote Hide poll

munnst #61 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 15:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
You don't have to hack the server to potentially influence the game.
Now, I've never seen any `hacks` with WOT but I did experience some weirdness which could, maybe be a hack.
Or it could have just been lag.

I was killing a tank and got him down to 5%.
Then the game amazingly `lagged` quite seriously. The tank I was attacking was treading water, tracks moving but not going anywhere.
I was stuck in time not able to fire.
Then the lag stopped and I blew up. Enemy tank was gone.

Consider the following. The client has to send packets to the server. What if I could introduce packets that induced massive lag.
That would give me an advantage (potentially) without having `hacked` the server per-say.

I've seen this in IL2 Sturmovik many years ago when people would start using the `capture screen` option like mad
and inducing lag. Gives the impression of the target suddenly `warping` out of the way.

Other potential `hacks` although technically just abusing controls is to map control options to joystick sliders or similar so that the control is a lot quicker to activate or use. This isn't rearly a hack but again I've seen this done on other games and it does give you an advantage.

GloryGirl #62 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 15:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
A lot of what appear to be hacks (I have discovered) are just issues with ping/FPS and lag/latency OR just dumb good/bad luck...of course there is always the guy that decides its worth the money to use gold rounds in his tank for pub matches too.

...some people will do anything to polish their e-peen I guess.  <_<

SolidBeer #63 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 16:16

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postmunnst, on Apr 12 2012 - 15:51, said:

You don't have to hack the server to potentially influence the game.
Now, I've never seen any `hacks` with WOT but I did experience some weirdness which could, maybe be a hack.
Or it could have just been lag.

I was killing a tank and got him down to 5%.
Then the game amazingly `lagged` quite seriously. The tank I was attacking was treading water, tracks moving but not going anywhere.
I was stuck in time not able to fire.
Then the lag stopped and I blew up. Enemy tank was gone.

Consider the following. The client has to send packets to the server. What if I could introduce packets that induced massive lag.
That would give me an advantage (potentially) without having `hacked` the server per-say.

I've seen this in IL2 Sturmovik many years ago when people would start using the `capture screen` option like mad
and inducing lag. Gives the impression of the target suddenly `warping` out of the way.

Other potential `hacks` although technically just abusing controls is to map control options to joystick sliders or similar so that the control is a lot quicker to activate or use. This isn't rearly a hack but again I've seen this done on other games and it does give you an advantage.

But if this did happen, using packets to induce lagg, it would also affect the person doing the inducing and is detrimental to his cause as he would lagg like mad also. In the case of your story, you lagged at a bad time and died.

death666grim #64 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 16:21

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I remember one bug where half of team include me spawn nearly next to enemy base on Prokhorovka map. we were parking at south, east of railroad track. we were go WTF then decide try to make better of it. pretty good LOL though

hack on this game is quite hard, but pretty sad because hackers can't accept that he suck in equal foot.

Rik0chet #65 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 12:08

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hi all, been playing since last July and fought over 6100 battles, don't know it all by any means but hardly a 'noob'. I have seen loads of hacks advertised on Youtube etc but have never been inclined to try them (not least in case I downloaded a 'nasty'!).

One thing I do find confusing is sometimes I seem awesome on battle field, one shotting left,right and centre. Other times I can get 10 shots in, AP and HE and do 0% damage on the same tanks I was 1 shotting in an earlier battle. Even allowing for sometimes getting a new stock tank versus fully developed, crew trained+++, doesn't explain the difference.

Also I have been in loads of matches where my team deploys well but gets wiped out in seconds, or vice versa.

Any thoughts etc????

SkunkButt #66 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 13:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
No, there are no hacks, only cheats like disposable income = Gold Ammo

Though, being on the center road on Lakeville and being shot by a vehicle parked on the high pass does get somewhat confusing...

DelayedFuse #67 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 14:15

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
What I did in game and the reactions from the noob:

My tank penetrates a type 59 from the front and blows it up in 1 shot -> HAX!

My patton uses its superior view range to snipe a victim from max range -> HAX!

Shooting back at invisible target by simply using hit-direction indicator and killing it -> HAAAX!

Reverse-peeking with IS-4 and bouncing E100's 15cm AP shells off the IS4's side armor five times in a row, until I kill him -> THIS GAME IS F*CKING BROKEN! THAT IS-4 IS BOUNCING ALL MY SHELLS OFF ITS SIDE ARMOR!

:facepalmic:

One thing I do find confusing is sometimes I seem awesome on battle field, one shotting left,right and centre. Other times I can get 10 shots in, AP and HE and do 0% damage on the same tanks I was 1 shotting in an earlier battle. Even allowing for sometimes getting a new stock tank versus fully developed, crew trained+++, doesn't explain the difference.

Also I have been in loads of matches where my team deploys well but gets wiped out in seconds, or vice versa.

For the 'doing 0 damage', stop hitting areas where you do 0-damage crits OR if you are using a low tier (tier 4~6), don't expect to damage high tiers from the front.

And for the one team getting steam-rolled, install the win-rate mod, it'll explain those one-sided victory rather well.

EliteSoldier245 #68 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 16:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
There are guys on you tube who post (claim to be) making hacks for World of Tanks.

Haexxus #69 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 16:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Miraculously, this has only happened to me once, but it must've been good enough to get me called a hacker. I took out an enemy players entire crew. In two shots I killed his entire 4 man crew, which left his undestroyed tank just sitting on the map. I had to fall back shortly after doing this, and as the enemy team pushed forward, a good portion of them seemed to notice this tank just sitting there, but being shown as dead. They all began to question how it's possible that I did this, blah blah blah, got accused of being a hacker, was told I was being reported, etc. Evidently, it doesn't happen enough in the game that people realize that it is possible....

kdogmcg #70 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 17:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
That happened to my crew in my tet once. I have done this to others a few times, always in low tier matches.

Beerstein #71 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 18:02

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I get called a hacker quite a bit (especially lately) I tend to ignore it as taunting them saying I am may or may not lead to me getting banned simply for claiming it.

SteelReign #72 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 19:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
If there aren't hacks, then I don't know why my clanmates account got perma-banned.

Staraga #73 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 19:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
they not as many hacks out there as it use to be.

I have been a match that a arty player kill the whole other in the first 20 seconds of the match.
Both side called that a hack. This was 8 months ago.

Or when tank from other side sit behind the same rock or building as you on the other side of it and shoots away at you and hits you, and cannot hit because the of the rock which need to move around to hit the other tank.

VooDooG5 #74 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 19:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
In other online games, I've seen where players intentionally pull their DSL cable for 1 second and re-insert it, which makes them seem they're sitting still for 20 seconds, yet they were moving on their own screen. Twenty seconds later, the server puts him where he is. One person used to run around doing damage, then go back to his original spot before the 20 seconds were up, so nobody noticed. When the server caught up to his signal, boom! Things went up. Don't know if something like that would work in this game, or if anyone still uses DSL.

Nukeknockout #75 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 20:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
As for the crew kill thing, it happened to me in a D1. I have a feeling that I could have started the tank back up if I'd brought a medkit and felt inclined to waste 3,000 credits. I haven't scored a surgical crew kill myself, but I'm keeping it in mind as an option for my lower tiers engaging higher tiers. It seems like a good way to deal with particularly tough tanks.

-Nukeknockout

Tigeh #76 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 22:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Can we get rid of the ePeen "I got called a hacker" stuff? It's really not the topic of the thread, and it's probably happened to everyone at least once every couple of thousand games. Even average players like me.

Now, as far as hacks go there are server-side hacks (difficult here), client-side hacks (mostly endorsed by or allowed by Wargaming, like clown skins etc, so not true "hacks" in the OP's sense, though possibly cheats in some sense), and client-server hacks. Most people assume that if you lag out the server you lag out yourself. This is only true if you're in a situation where you can't spoof the return packets to say something consistent with your desired next few seconds, or you're working on a protocol that treats each packet in a SYN-ACK style (or similar). There are plenty of theoretical ways to break World of Tanks for a few seconds, but it's obviously easier to do by sending things unexpected to the server rather than modifying the response from the server.

I've seen a couple of hacks - but that's as far as I'll go here. Having looked at the EULA again, I don't want to give anyone ideas. I've had a significant (though not that long) career as a security consultant and low-level programmer, and WoT is far from impervious in my opinion.

So while people cry 'hack' far too easily because of invisitanks, freak shots and bad play on their own part, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss hacks as being in the game. Bots are easy to write, and only require client-side hooks. Be alert and risk reporting people who aren't hacking in order to stop people who are regularly getting away with it, imo.

jerv #77 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 22:36

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLert, on Feb 03 2012 - 15:48, said:

Anyone with any real understanding of game mechanics would tell you that hacks for this game are either totally impossible, or so incredibly unlikely that you can just basically assume that it never happens.

In other words, most people think that hacks are everywhere.

Wechi #78 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 23:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Post_DK_, on Feb 03 2012 - 15:43, said:

I see plenty of people calling hacks because they stuck maybe 20m of their rear out and I killed them.... :angry:

i love this one!! i shoot someone hiding behind a rock and they dont realize what angle they are getting hit from so they move back thinking they are getting more cover from the rock when in fact they are exposing more of themselves to me!!

kral2 #79 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 23:21

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
There's not much to hack in this game.  You could write something that automatically marks tanks on the map based on the trajectory of tracer fire but that's all I can think of.  There aren't netcode bugs to exploit because this game has almost non-existent netcode (which is why lag is so horrible).

Gyarados #80 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 23:23

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles

View PostSteelReign, on Apr 14 2012 - 19:08, said:

If there aren't hacks, then I don't know why my clanmates account got perma-banned.
Well generally there are still such things as exploits, although the only ones that I can figure out to be worthwhile in this game would constitute hacking, such as seeing all tanks at all times, damage modifiers, things of that nature. All of that would be extremely difficult and illegal to do. I'm going to say that your clan mate did not do this stuff because it'd be all over the forum for one, and I'm sure there'd be more of a fuss.