KV-3 drivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

Fatblob #161 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 09:45

Private

• Players
  • 3884 battles
My KV-3 story was actually a loss. I was top tank on Redshire and i was on the main hill on the southern half of the map, I'd already killed a t28 and a KV but everyone else on my team was dead with me vs 6 tier 5 or less tanks (but no arty). They then went for the base cap so I slowly started to head back to base to defend. Needless to say they beat me to it but at that time we were all within range of each other. I started off by finishing off a Wolverine but the other tanks fired at me and managed to break by gun and tracks. At this point I realized I forgot to buy a repair kit and so my only option was to sit on the hill and wait for my gun to fix itself. Well now all 5 of the enemy tanks were capping and shooting at me and I was sitting tracked on the hill hull down towards them bouncing or just taking minimum damage from each shot. Finally my gun was fixed but from all the hits I was taking I couldn't aim at all. Eventually with my tank at around 40% hp they managed to win due to base cap. At this point I was thinking "oh hey I bet I got steel wall for that!".

Well I did with a grand total of 54 hits on my tank.

After that I've had a whole new appreciation for the armour of the KV-3.  :)

Stagger #162 Posted Sep 22 2011 - 08:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13911 battles
Only recently have I started really enjoying the KV-3. Instead of pushing up with the front, I sit back and snipe with the 107mm. It seems I make a much better impact just sending shots instead of taking them.

This also lets me decide later which flank to take, since it seems like what others have said, whenever I take a flank I'm either solo and get swamped or the other flank falls.

The new engine, despite only offering a minor increase in power, appears to have radically changed how the KV-3 moves. Much better acceleration and traversing is significantly faster.

My story (yeah, it's long).

Spoiler                     

Random other awesome game. Killed: IS, IS-3, IS-4, IS-7, and came within 1% of killing an ISU-152. Was about a week ago, so don't recall the exact details. Was basically just luck TBH though.

BULL78 #163 Posted Sep 22 2011 - 14:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 8890 battles
just got my kv-3 finally and have grinded hard for it. i have used bought sold many tanks in all factions..i used a m6 for a while and it was awfull to last more than a few min. especially when low tier n the battle..with the kv-3 and just the stock gun n a few battles ive been able to agervate tigers to death take massive  hits and assist on many kill of tier 8-9 tanks that kill wouldnt happened if i didnt save there a**..thats with the stock gun..i was wondering wether i schould save my xp for the 122mm or go ahead and get the 107mm and you guys answered that question for me 107 it is..kv-3 guy here for sure love it!

BULL78 #164 Posted Sep 25 2011 - 04:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 8890 battles
i have been having good battles with my kv-3..it is my prefered tank now of my tanks. i have over a 50% win ratio alot of kills with it n a short time..i recently was stalking with a t29 when we ran into a tiger and another t29. the t29 i was with took the blunt of two guns being tracked and finished only taking the tiger down to 53% health and leaving the oposing t29 at full health i was facing both head on..my 122mm made quick wrk of the tiger as he crumbled and the t29 and me went to war.. i tracked him with my first shot took 1 hit that bounced and i jamed that 122mm in his gut two shots later he was a smoking pile of metal..and i was still over half health..i may been lucky..but i laughf at tigers and convedent against t29s.

Togashi_Yuuta #165 Posted Sep 25 2011 - 23:10

Major

• Players
  • 11072 battles
for a long time this tank has been painful to play for me, i am a arty player that got this tank for the soviet patch.
first off, i play arty so speed is not that bad.
the 107 feels off(too many miss shots in range)

but recently i got my first kamikaze medal,rammed a panther2 at half health after barreling through a building in sand river.
now this thing is making since for me.

Demonocolips #166 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 17:02

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5211 battles
story took place full upgraded kv-3 with 122 using overtarget markers for hp
was on cliff and the entire team decides to go up the hill lone stug decides to hold pass i go to help him i cozy up to the cliff right next to the opening
t-29 drives down pass spotted by stug idiot teamates at base think its a good idea to try shooting through the wall as the  t-29 makes its way to the other side of the cliffface.
anyway stug is spotted and killed.
m4 drives past my hiding spot i 1 shot him from the side.
stug drives up tries to face me i 1 shot him.
t-34 relizes im there plays peekaboo from behind that rock in the middle of the pass shoot take a bad bounce and he has 3 health left
t-29 drives up and someone tracks him i sneak up a little and get him in the  front. he backs off as his track is repaired. t-34 still playing peekaboo i finally decide to shoot him again and he dies
t-29 says screw it and advancees think he had 600hp left at this point, arty hits him nocks 300 hp off i advance and kill him.
by this time the last one left was a hummel at the enemy base so me and the rest of the team advances and i see him at range i stop we sight each other and i get the shot off first he died and we won.
best story i got right now. funny thing was is that after the battle of the pass one of the enemy guys asked what gun i had, told him, he said the thing rapes ass, i just said it takes forever to reload.

Atemerus #167 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 17:08

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17937 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE
A kv-3 bounced off 3 shots from my long 88 gun of my tiger in beta but i managed to kill it xD

dbringer #168 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 01:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 16443 battles
I doubt I'll ever get rid of my kv-3. Have so many stories with it I don't even know where to begin. It's a slow hulking beast, that I've even bounced Maus shots when I platooned with a couple guys once. I think my fave scenerio with it when it gave me my kamikaze medal.  :Smile-izmena:  
I was peek-a-booing with an IS-3, and thanks to the 107, winning. Had him down to under 10%, while still having 30 something myself. I saw another IS-3 coming up the road on the map toward me, so I decided to bail out of the peek-a-boo, and see if I could sneak around and surprise my competitor. Appearently he had the same idea, since he appeared suddenly right infront of me rounding the corner. I shot, missed, he shot, missed, my front end slammed his tracks, and he exploded.  :D

Rincer #169 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 03:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9735 battles

View Postdbringer, on Oct 04 2011 - 01:00, said:

I doubt I'll ever get rid of my kv-3. Have so many stories with it I don't even know where to begin. It's a slow hulking beast, that I've even bounced Maus shots when I platooned with a couple guys once. I think my fave scenerio with it when it gave me my kamikaze medal.  :Smile-izmena:  
I was peek-a-booing with an IS-3, and thanks to the 107, winning. Had him down to under 10%, while still having 30 something myself. I saw another IS-3 coming up the road on the map toward me, so I decided to bail out of the peek-a-boo, and see if I could sneak around and surprise my competitor. Appearently he had the same idea, since he appeared suddenly right infront of me rounding the corner. I shot, missed, he shot, missed, my front end slammed his tracks, and he exploded.  :D

That IS-3 was probably stock otherwise he should've wiped the floor with you. BL-9 gun should penetrate KV-3 from any angle and he has 630 more HPs than you. But yeah I love my KV-3 and not planning on selling it. I feel like a real heavy playing in it as opposed to a fake heavy when I play my IS or IS-3.

carphunter #170 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 17:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 10304 battles
I just picked up a Kv-3 to fill in a tier VI hole i had.

wondering what modules people are running.

I'm currently at rammer, vent and gld.

reading this thread, considering spall liner instead of vent (but nor sure about that as I figure most stuff will be shooting me with AP, not HE).

optics/binos would be a good option as its vision range seems to suck too.

I'm playing with the 122 now...but after reading this, am going to try the 107 for a bit to see if I like that better.

ncpinz #171 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 18:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44387 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
I'm stock and am struggling with the KV3 to get a new suspension so I can mount the 107mm.  It is painful and slow going.  Hanging back and protecting arty with all the high tier tanks running around is one of the few ways I seem to stay alive and gather some XP and credits.  At least I still have my KV to make some money for the cause.

dbringer #172 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 03:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 16443 battles
i run a rammer, vent, and toolbox because I get tracked alot. The toolbox has made the difference on more than one occasion between being toasted by an arty shot, and watching it hit where I was  :Smile_honoring:

BigRed8 #173 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 10:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5160 battles

View Postdbringer, on Oct 05 2011 - 03:39, said:

i run a rammer, vent, and toolbox because I get tracked alot. The toolbox has made the difference on more than one occasion between being toasted by an arty shot, and watching it hit where I was  :Smile_honoring:

This is what I run too, with a 100% crew that is at about 70% repair.  The KV-3 is an arty magnet and the crew plus toolbox has gotten me out of tight spots more then once.  Saves a bundle on repair kits too!

TK3600 #174 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 23:00

Major

• Players
  • 11788 battles
i just earned near 30000 credit, 1150 xp and sniper, steel wall and top gun in one battle. :Smile_honoring:

midnightlounger #175 Posted Oct 09 2011 - 05:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 11937 battles
Heres my KV3 story, it not amazing but ill share.
I was on Redshire the otherday in spawn I  and i went up to the right high hill to look out. with a couple of the guys a T25, su5, T1 and a T28 if i remember right
Around 2 minutes in we see the other team had their top tanks coming from there. coming towards us a a KV5, t32, t34-85, t59, wolverine if i remember correctly. they simply rushed the hill ( i guess they thought they had more numbers and 3 fast tanks thinking they can swarm us) after a couple minutes of brawling is was just me and the t25 both running around 60% their tanks taking everyone else out ofcourse with the loss of their own me taking out the t32 and t34-85 and T25 took out the wolverine leaving them with a KV5 around 80% and the t59 at full health. i was nervous cause it seems that our line is on the brink of collapsing and being overrun and then being able to cap base cause the rest of the team went to line 1 on the left of the minimap. thankfully the T25 driver was communicative so we agreed to fall back just a bit to lure them into cresting the hill. luring the type59 in we killed it together but the enemy arty took out the T25. by this time their lowe has moved up to the KV5 essentially leaving me with 2 near full heath monsters against me. thanks to the KV3s built i was able to survive hits from their arty shellings around me only loosing modules but not much health while hiding behind all the wrecks around me. i managed to somehow stall the 2 enemy tanks till my team pushed through and flanked them...
oh i was using rammer and the 122 boom gun thats why i was able to kill the t32
overall it was a fun experience

LordYinYang #176 Posted Oct 09 2011 - 20:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29606 battles
  • [ML] ML
*cue epic story telling from a certain video game*
War, war never changes.

The KV-3 was thrown into battle with the map Karelia, starting at spawn I.  The KV-3 went west while the others stayed at base or went east.  The KV-3 found a great defensive position, and dug in.  Suddenly there was a group of 3 tanks approaching, so he went out and shot at a Pz IV in the group, heavily damaging it.  The 3 tanks got to cover and proceeded to fight the KV-3 in a peak-a-boo shoot out.  The KV-3 took down the Pz IV and focused on the next target, a KV-2 wielding the 107.  In 2 shots the KV was down.  Reinforcements for the enemy arrived, a Panther (back when it was T8) and a V3601.  The KV-3 preceded to ask for assistance from the artillery, and was able to gain their support.  The eastern front was slowly crawling forward.  The VK 3601 ran all the way up to where the KV-3 stood its ground.  The KV-3 decided it was best to have artillery take care of this tank.  The Panther moved up and the VK went around to the other side of the Defensive position, yet they didn't block the KV-3 in and decimate it.  The VK3601 moved into the KV-3's line of fire and was tracked, it shortly died from artillery.  The KV-3 was heavily damaged from playing Peak-a-boom earlier, so it stood its ground as the rest of the forces moved up to put the nail in the coffin.  The KV-3 knew its time was up, and decided to play peak-a-boom and try to damage as many enemy tanks as possible.  It got 4 shots off before the Panther finally killed it.  By the time they passed the KV-3 their base was captured by the eastern flank.

This was a story of the KV-3 who stood his ground delaying enemy forces for 8 minutes allowing for his team to secure victory in this battle, but there is still a war going on, and war, war never changes.
*end story*

I seriously dug in and took on about 5-6 tanks on my own taking down 3 and damaging the rest, I'm glad the enemy arty was focused on their defensive front or I'd might have died far earlier.  I hope you got the reference of the format of said story.  I might have done it wrong.   :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users