KV-3 drivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

SlashCo #41 Posted Oct 08 2010 - 10:51

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1 battle
I'm one of the few who actually prefers the 100mm on my KV-3. It doesn't have the raw damage of the 107, but the increased accuracy, rate of fire, and slightly better penetration make up for it. I also seem to get a lot fewer misses at long range with it... and it looks better on the tank. :)

killakanz #42 Posted Oct 12 2010 - 14:05

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Had this KV-3 for a while now, all upgraded with the long 122mm.
I still can't see how so many people like this tank. Even with the top engine and lend/lease oil it's very slow. I'm not making enough credits with it to call it a main money earner, my VK36 makes more and it's a better tank.
The 122mm gun isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's got a long reload, quite inaccurate, the AP is very expensive and doesn't do enough damage to justify the cost, and HE bounces a lot...

It's just a relatively harmless brick.

Kyuusei #43 Posted Oct 12 2010 - 14:42

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4851 battles
  • [RSRC] RSRC

View Postkillakanz, on Oct 12 2010 - 14:05, said:

I still can't see how so many people like this tank. Even with the top engine and lend/lease oil it's very slow. I'm not making enough credits with it to call it a main money earner, my VK36 makes more and it's a better tank.
The 122mm gun isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's got a long reload, quite inaccurate, the AP is very expensive and doesn't do enough damage to justify the cost, and HE bounces a lot...

Didn't you read this thread at all? Haven't you noticed that every one else uses the 107? A fully upgraded KV-3 uses the 107, not the 122.

SlashCo #44 Posted Oct 12 2010 - 20:42

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1 battle
I agree, just use the IS. Compared to the KV line it drives like a medium, yet it's tougher than they are and has higher damage potential. I sold my KV and KV-3 and don't intend to play them again. I actually feel sorry when I see KV drivers in battles...

Altruismo #45 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 01:44

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2925 battles

View PostKyuusei, on Oct 12 2010 - 14:42, said:

Didn't you read this thread at all? Haven't you noticed that every one else uses the 107? A fully upgraded KV-3 uses the 107, not the 122.

There are a couple of people in this thread who have said they use the 122 and like it.
Going by most KV related threads, and looking at other KV-3's in game I think you are definitely right that most people use the 107.
Personally, I use the 122 and love it - I hated it until I hit 100% with a GLD and rammer though.
I think most people stick to the 107 because it's a great gun, it's effective without a GLD and Rammer, and the million credits I spent on the GLD+Rammer most people probably put straight into their IS and never look back.
I prefer the 122 because it's got a huge front-loaded punch that the 107 can't match - sure in a stand-up head-to-head fight, I think the 107 has the advantage, but if both guns trade the first shot at roughly the same time, and you can utilise cover while you reload, the 107 has to play catch-up.

Goodwill #46 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 17:43

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

Sorry, what?

This was with the 100mm.

It ended with me on 26hp, damaged engine, tracks, fuel tank, turret, and a dead driver.  Was going at a top speed of 8km/h when I killed the last SU-8 (first shot put him on fire and he couldn't shoot back, felt so good)

Only had a camo net on it, no other upgrades.

Prefer the 100mm over the 107 or the 122.  Better at range than the 107, and much better money maker than the 122.  This is my money making tank now.  The screenshots were on non-premuim.

conkeror #47 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 18:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7113 battles
  • [MNUTZ] MNUTZ
Well I dun't know if it good enough for a war story but a some Tiger variant came out in front of me and we started dogfighting. I had my KV with the 122mm HE, of my first few shots i think i nailed one on his side, missed another or bounced, about same for him we where both around half health, then while trying to keep his front to me he got stucked on rocks, I managed to squeeze past, get to his rear and blow him up instantly !! I had the gun about 1 inch off his tailpipe. Felt so good. Totally adopted the KV since then.

Varok #48 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 19:35

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I also have a KV-3 and hell, it's damn good tank after your crew gets some skils. @80% or more...
I use the the normal turret + 107mm gun for a higher rate and it's very effective.

Hazardz #49 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 10:49

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have just gotten my KV3 and is painfully slow without the upgraded tracks. Once I have those I can skip back to the 107mm gun which I adored on my KV. I have researched the D10T 100mm for my T44 but reading this thread and my own experience with the KV I think I will stick with the 107 zis 6, one of best weapons I have used in the game and makes the same tier VK3601 88mm feel like a toy.

Quick question - should I keep my KV as a money maker or for when KV3 is killed early in round ? or should I transfer crew and just use KV3? not making as much in KV3 at stock because I am so slow I have to camp base.

Goodwill #50 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 11:51

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
KV3 is a better money maker than KV imo.

Once it is fully upgraded it goes about 30km/h and gets their quick enough.  It's a slow beast but it takes a truckload of a beating before it gets stopped.

killakanz #51 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 12:08

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I'm losing the will to progress to the IS. This tank is just a steaming pile of... argh I still can't see why people can like this.
And yes I have gone back to the 107mm, but it's still a terrible tank. I hate it.

Goodwill #52 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 12:12

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
What dont you like about it?  The speed and manuverability?

If so maybe the KV-1S would be better?

I really cannot see any area other than the movement of the tank that is bad.  The firepower and armour are excellant and can go toe to toe with almost any tank out there.

If it is just the speed and turning that gets to you then the KV-1S would deffo be a better upgrade path as it plays a lot more like the IS/IS-2 does.

killakanz #53 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 12:35

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I don't like the painfully slow speed, it turns like a freight train, the turret is so slow you can't track anything circling you even if your turn the hull as well.
Yeah the turret front is very nicely armored, but everyone aims for the hull which is weak at the sides, and let's face it getting around it isn't very hard.

It's just the painful slowness of everything combined with it's susceptibility to HE damage, on the open maps it's doomed to arty and on the closed maps it's doomed to medium tanks.

yab #54 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 12:47

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I loved my KV-3. I've went throught that tank actually 3 times. It still holds my record for most shots taken & survived - total 73 hits and 10 kills (sshot somewhere on forum), around 20% hp left

Goodwill #55 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 15:44

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postkillakanz, on Oct 14 2010 - 12:35, said:

I don't like the painfully slow speed, it turns like a freight train, the turret is so slow you can't track anything circling you even if your turn the hull as well.
Yeah the turret front is very nicely armored, but everyone aims for the hull which is weak at the sides, and let's face it getting around it isn't very hard.

It's just the painful slowness of everything combined with it's susceptibility to HE damage, on the open maps it's doomed to arty and on the closed maps it's doomed to medium tanks.

I can understand where you are coming from.  It turns like mollases and accelerates like it's in quicksand.

However the firepower and armour are great for its tier!  It is deffo not a tank you can spearhead an attack in.  I think it is a bit of a marmite tank, you either love it or hate it.

If you can't put up with the slowness, I think you would find the KV-1S better.  Looking at your sig it seems all your other tanks are mobile so I think this would be better for you.

The KV-3 is good for people who don't mind it taking a while to get somewhere I think.

heugan #56 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 16:04

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2 battles
well try keep moving, you got a touch more armour than an IS but ur slow, but your still useful ( i got a steel wall in mine, when there was like IS3s :P) and i lived too, and the later guns are nice.
The IS is well worth it, like a big T46 :P fast and manouverable, good slopes too,.....keep on grinding tankers :)

loganov #57 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6274 battles

View Postkillakanz, on Oct 14 2010 - 12:35, said:

I got the KV-3 and while I like the KV more, I can't say that I dislike the KV-3.  Quite frankly, Killa, I don't understand why YOU hate it so much?  You're doing great with it.  You're getting more average experience for it than any other tank in your garage short of the Tiger.  It's a great earner for you, you're winning most of your battles with it.  The tank doesn't seem to be letting you down, you just seem to have a hatred for it that it hasn't earned.  It's a T6 heavy.  It's going to be a grind for me to get to the IS, but I don't look at it as a painful one.

Cheers,

Logan

killakanz #58 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 19:04

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
That does it.

Killed by a Sturmpanzer II, with just 1 shot.

It didn't do much damage, but it did set me on fire. Over the next 5 seconds, 1 system after the next shuts down. Then finally, the ammo rack explodes.

Attached Files

• Attached File   shot_068.jpg   184.01K

Hazardz #59 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 20:10

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I got one shotted by a Grille in my T44 when the ammo rack blew , it happens.

SadPanda #60 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 20:21

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postkillakanz, on Oct 14 2010 - 19:04, said:

That does it.

Attachmentshot_068.jpg

Killed by a Sturmpanzer II, with just 1 shot.

It didn't do much damage, but it did set me on fire. Over the next 5 seconds, 1 system after the next shuts down. Then finally, the ammo rack explodes.

i saw leopards oneshot is-3 with ammorack hits, happens. im super happy with the kv-3, over 300 battles with it now and still having a blast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users