Jump to content


Downgrading from a 3601 to a Tiger


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Polluxo #1 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 06:13

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 1 battle
  • 9
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010
I've been loving the 3601 for the time I have had it, now I bought a Tiger and tested it out a bit, but it seems like a huge downgrade. Granted, my 3601 crew is maxed along with the tank, but I have most of the Tiger equipment maxed through free experience. I don't see the benefit of moving my crew. I'm sacrificing armor, speed, and maneuverability for a little extra penetration on the bigger 88mm.

So, will moving my 100% crew to the Tiger tank really make a difference? Will I be shooting myself in the foot for going from 1.5 exp per battle to 100xp accompanied by repair bills that will make me bankrupt? I want to know which will be faster grinding to the KT, so far I am leaning towards the 3601.

HeroEnVec #2 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 06:50

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 41314 battles
  • 1,476
  • [VILIN] VILIN
  • Member since:
    07-26-2010
I had 3601 pre-patch and tiger post.  With that in mind, I had more fun with the 3601.  You are not seen as much as a target, so you can get away with more with Very similar tanks.

JagdWicked #3 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 07:17

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 24012 battles
  • 25
  • Member since:
    08-05-2010
I have never had a 3601, but I know how much they can hurt me  :Smile-hiding:.  I did however have a 3001(p) pre patch and loved it.  Now I have the Tiger, I think it's pretty great.  It would be nice to be able to take an extra hit or two, or not get completely owned by a T-44, but I still love it as is.  It has character and a well rounded stability to it.  I know it's limits and am not ashamed to run, but with a bit of extra manuevering and risk taking it performs very well on the fun factor.

absorbentgene #4 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 17:39

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 2719 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    08-19-2010
the VK3601 was a good tank, but man do i love the tiger. get the upgraded 88mm and you can take on any tank short of the jagdtiger in terms of penetration. upgraded engine and your doing just fine in speed. as for armour, god i love that thing. bouncing so many shells!

Skwabie #5 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 07:12

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3 battles
  • 152
  • Member since:
    07-20-2010
hehe
tiger armor don't really bounce. bounce rate is higher after the patch but still not much... you just have a higher HP pool so a small hit ain't noticable enuff:D
that said it is one hell of a stable gun platform, but due to poor armor and maneuverability it's very vulnerable when exposed or caught close.

For the situation post wipe, as everyone's running around in is4 or 7s it's rather useless coz firepower as its biggest advantage is negated. You might as well put on the snubnosed 10.5 and run HE on it....

and yes money wise it's a big down step from vk36, but it's all like this when you go higher tiers.... remain on premium and money flow can still be good after figuring out how to play it.

Sturmtiger_304 #6 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 14:37

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 924
  • Member since:
    08-18-2010

View PostSkwabie, on Sep 11 2010 - 07:12, said:

hehe
tiger armor don't really bounce. bounce rate is higher after the patch but still not much... you just have a higher HP pool so a small hit ain't noticable enuff:D
that said it is one hell of a stable gun platform, but due to poor armor and maneuverability it's very vulnerable when exposed or caught close.

For the situation post wipe, as everyone's running around in is4 or 7s it's rather useless coz firepower as its biggest advantage is negated. You might as well put on the snubnosed 10.5 and run HE on it....

and yes money wise it's a big down step from vk36, but it's all like this when you go higher tiers.... remain on premium and money flow can still be good after figuring out how to play it.

This doesn't change the fact that any IS-3 or more, will whoop your arse.

Also since the Tiger I is the first tier 1 heavy compared to the Soviet tree's KV, I see a masive repair difference, as in; 12000 credits for a blown ammo rack on the Tiger & 4000 credits for a blown ammo rack on the KV.

You're also going to learn to hate the T44's for flying across the battlefield in 50km/h.

Uphills.

del1000030716 #7 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 17:18

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 675
  • Member since:
    04-27-2010

View PostSturmtiger_304, on Sep 11 2010 - 14:37, said:

This doesn't change the fact that any IS-3 or more, will whoop your arse.

Also since the Tiger I is the first tier 1 heavy compared to the Soviet tree's KV, I see a masive repair difference, as in; 12000 credits for a blown ammo rack on the Tiger & 4000 credits for a blown ammo rack on the KV.

You're also going to learn to hate the T44's for flying across the battlefield in 50km/h.

Uphills.

Ah yes, the IS-# and T44, the fantasy tanks of WW2. Stuff for dweebs.

T92_LT #8 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 20:29

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 15542 battles
  • 812
  • [HACKD] HACKD
  • Member since:
    07-09-2010

View PostSturmtiger_304, on Sep 11 2010 - 14:37, said:

This doesn't change the fact that any IS-3 or more, will whoop your arse.

Also since the Tiger I is the first tier 1 heavy compared to the Soviet tree's KV, I see a masive repair difference, as in; 12000 credits for a blown ammo rack on the Tiger & 4000 credits for a blown ammo rack on the KV.

You're also going to learn to hate the T44's for flying across the battlefield in 50km/h.

Uphills.
Lots of problems with your "facts" here.

First, the KV is a Tier 5 tank. It's repair costs are inline with other Tier 5 tanks. The Tiger I is a Tier 7 tank. As such it has much better armor and health. Not to mention that the KV is generally a sitting duck.

Second, T-44s can reach 50 Km/h. On flat ground or going downhill. But going uphill you are lucky to do 25 Km/h. There are several vehicles that go uphill better than the T-44. I know this because I actually drive a T-44.

cDa #9 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 20:33

    First lieutenant

  • Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 539
  • Member since:
    08-01-2010
Keep the VK36, with crew at 100% it its awesome tank, Hold on to tiger, it is crappy untill its upgraded, once its ready its awesome, my tiger crew is at 99% atm, very nice tank to drive

Skwabie #10 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 20:40

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3 battles
  • 152
  • Member since:
    07-20-2010

View PostSturmtiger_304, on Sep 11 2010 - 14:37, said:

This doesn't change the fact that any IS-3 or more, will whoop your arse.

? that's what I said, you get pwned a lot post wipe. The good thing is stay on premium and can still make money.

r34ch #11 Posted Sep 12 2010 - 10:50

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 127
  • [D3RP] D3RP
  • Member since:
    07-31-2010

View PostcDa, on Sep 11 2010 - 20:33, said:

Hold on to tiger, it is crappy untill its upgraded, once its ready its awesome,
Tiger is an awesome tank if you know how to play it. Unfortunately most people haven't a clue and moan and complain about it. Crew at 100% with firefighting, wet ammo rack and a fire extinguisher, and you can easily get 8 kills. I often get more kills than most of the heavier tanks on both teams simply because I use brains, and my 88 is faster firing. You can take on VK45s and IS4s easily so long as you know where to shoot.

Do yourself a favour and get a spall liner and a gun rammer to boot. A small repair kit and a minor health kit should be obvious too.

If you drive your Tiger even remotely like a VK36, you're doing it wrong.

Midnitewolf #12 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 09:37

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles
  • 2,972
  • Member since:
    09-01-2010
I have just had my first experience with Downgrading to the Tiger from the VK3601(H) and I do have to admit it sucks.  My VK3601 was mostly upgraded by the point I moved to the Tiger and honestly it had just gotten really fun to play. I was starting to make 10-20k credits a battle with it.  Tigers on its 3rd battle now with only 1 level of engine upgrade and then upgraded the lesser 8.8cm from my VK3601 and the result is that the Tiger sucks fairly badly.  It actually wouldn't be so bad if I didn't end up losing money on any match where I made less that 15k credits and got knocked out.  The even suckier thing about it is that it appears that I will have to grind 30-50K of exp on it before I actually get it upgraded enough to actually not lose money on it regularly. That is going to hurt, especially since I am just 40k exp away from getting a IS as well and need about a million credits more to buy it.  I was planning on alternating between my KV-3 and the Tiger as I got knocked out of one match or another but honestly with the repair cost I might just have to put the Tiger on hold at least until I get into the IS.

Personally after having played with and against 100s of Tigers in game, I am pretty sure it is going to be a pretty awesome tank once I get it upgraded.  However, when I think about how many hours I am going to have to play with it sucking so badly before I get it upgraded to a decent level, I almost dont have the will to hit the battle button and play with it :(

TrIpMo #13 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 09:49

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 2 battles
  • 1,151
  • Member since:
    09-05-2010

View PostMidnitewolf, on Sep 14 2010 - 09:37, said:

I have just had my first experience with Downgrading to the Tiger from the VK3601(H) and I do have to admit it sucks.  My VK3601 was mostly upgraded by the point I moved to the Tiger and honestly it had just gotten really fun to play. I was starting to make 10-20k credits a battle with it.  Tigers on its 3rd battle now with only 1 level of engine upgrade and then upgraded the lesser 8.8cm from my VK3601 and the result is that the Tiger sucks fairly badly.  It actually wouldn't be so bad if I didn't end up losing money on any match where I made less that 15k credits and got knocked out.  The even suckier thing about it is that it appears that I will have to grind 30-50K of exp on it before I actually get it upgraded enough to actually not lose money on it regularly. That is going to hurt, especially since I am just 40k exp away from getting a IS as well and need about a million credits more to buy it.  I was planning on alternating between my KV-3 and the Tiger as I got knocked out of one match or another but honestly with the repair cost I might just have to put the Tiger on hold at least until I get into the IS.

Personally after having played with and against 100s of Tigers in game, I am pretty sure it is going to be a pretty awesome tank once I get it upgraded.  However, when I think about how many hours I am going to have to play with it sucking so badly before I get it upgraded to a decent level, I almost dont have the will to hit the battle button and play with it :(

Just go through that hell. I had the exact same thing with the hetzer.
A slow small German TD tank. I was happy if I would get 1 kill (I used the 10.5cm with HE).
Because as soon as you shot 1 shell. The arty takes you, or the target you shot just rushing you. And goodluck trying to outrun someone with a hetzer. It was a pain in the <beep>. But I kept pressing battle button and accepting that I would die. and only get 70exp. But don't give up. Things will get better

madnarc #14 Posted Sep 15 2010 - 03:55

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 12 battles
  • 9
  • Member since:
    07-23-2010

View PostThaTrip, on Sep 14 2010 - 09:49, said:

Just go through that hell. I had the exact same thing with the hetzer.
A slow small German TD tank. I was happy if I would get 1 kill (I used the 10.5cm with HE).
Because as soon as you shot 1 shell. The arty takes you, or the target you shot just rushing you. And goodluck trying to outrun someone with a hetzer. It was a pain in the <beep>. But I kept pressing battle button and accepting that I would die. and only get 70exp. But don't give up. Things will get better

Well the problem is 70exp per game on a Hetzer still gets you fully upgrades way faster than 70exp per game on a tiger ;)

DimasRobin #15 Posted Sep 15 2010 - 05:09

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 2568 battles
  • 8
  • Member since:
    08-06-2010
I did notice a big difference passing to the Tiger tank. But I guess it's normal when you start with a new tier. You start off with a heavier tank with a standard engine and turret. But once you get the up grades you start to enjoy it.
I up graded my engine from standard to the 3 lever out of 4 and it really helped a big deal. It gave me the acceleration and mobility of my previous tank...well not the same, but still close enough.

Midnitewolf #16 Posted Sep 16 2010 - 10:11

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles
  • 2,972
  • Member since:
    09-01-2010

View PostDimasRobin, on Sep 15 2010 - 05:09, said:

I did notice a big difference passing to the Tiger tank. But I guess it's normal when you start with a new tier. You start off with a heavier tank with a standard engine and turret. But once you get the up grades you start to enjoy it.
I up graded my engine from standard to the 3 lever out of 4 and it really helped a big deal. It gave me the acceleration and mobility of my previous tank...well not the same, but still close enough.

Just got the Tiger recently and honestly I felt the stock set up using only upgrades I had trained in the VK3601(H) made it feel very similar to the preformance of the upgraded VK3601(H).  Basically it didn't really feel like I had changed tanks much at all.  Well that is until I got my 9-11k repair bills :(

The upgraded gun is a must have ASAP moreso than any other upgrade in my book.  That gun really changes the Tiger into a fearsome beast and I was in awe how accurate it was.  I was tagging enemy tanks at distance on the move right and left with only a 75% crew and using autoaim.  I think once you finally manage to grind out the 50-60k exp you need to fully upgrade the engine and suspension as well, this tank will shine a bit.  The amount of fires does seem a bit high though but only when comparing against my KV-3.  In about 25 battles with the Tiger, I have had I think two instances where I caught fire and it exploded my tank.  With the KV-3 I think my stats are more along the lines of two instances in around 180 battles.  Now don't get my wrong, they KV-3 caught fire a bunch of times but 95% of the time it was put out right away with nothing more than a little module dmg.  Thinking on it now, I think the Tiger has blown up every time it has caught fire...hmmm....yeah that could get old.

lelemud #17 Posted Sep 16 2010 - 16:07

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    07-11-2010
I was driving Tiger I before soft wipe and it was awfull experience,with ammo rack exploding in 10 out of 15 battles.
After patch experience was much better tho..i had ammo rack exploded just once and generally i felt more comfortable driving it.
Dunno..maybe its just pure luck.

DimasRobin #18 Posted Sep 16 2010 - 20:43

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 2568 battles
  • 8
  • Member since:
    08-06-2010

View Postlelemud, on Sep 16 2010 - 16:07, said:

I was driving Tiger I before soft wipe and it was awfull experience,with ammo rack exploding in 10 out of 15 battles.
After patch experience was much better tho..i had ammo rack exploded just once and generally i felt more comfortable driving it.
Dunno..maybe its just pure luck.
Remember to load half of the ammunition in the rack. By doing so your odds of rack explosion are halved...Unless you are a Tank Ace or just a bad aimer and you need to use all 73 shells. (or whatever the full rack load is)  :)

T92_LT #19 Posted Sep 17 2010 - 07:16

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 15542 battles
  • 812
  • [HACKD] HACKD
  • Member since:
    07-09-2010

View PostDimasRobin, on Sep 16 2010 - 20:43, said:

Remember to load half of the ammunition in the rack. By doing so your odds of rack explosion are halved...Unless you are a Tank Ace or just a bad aimer and you need to use all 73 shells. (or whatever the full rack load is)  :)
This is FALSE. NOT TRUE. Amount of ammunition in your ammo rack does NOT affect your chance of an ammo rack explosion unless you have ZERO ammo in your ammo rack. The devs have stated this several times.

Since you can't play effectively if you don't have ammo and there is NO difference between having 2 rounds of ammo or 90 in your ammo rack, you should just load it up full.

Angalacon #20 Posted Sep 17 2010 - 15:42

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 2354 battles
  • 2,026
  • Member since:
    07-19-2010

View Postmadnarc, on Sep 15 2010 - 03:55, said:

Well the problem is 70exp per game on a Hetzer still gets you fully upgrades way faster than 70exp per game on a tiger ;)
You should get Elite Tank status on your VK3601 and play more games with that tank, then transfer experience from the VK to Free XP and use that to help upgrade your Tiger. You thus spend less time in the unprofitable Tiger as you improve it.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users